[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm just trying to get into Hellboy. Any advice where to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: Hellboy cem.jpg (44 KB, 325x500) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy cem.jpg
44 KB, 325x500
I'm just trying to get into Hellboy. Any advice where to begin? Seed Of Destruction felt a little too slow, though that wasn't written by Mignola, right?
>>
Release order, Hellboy's very simple to get into.
>>
File: 1418670906873.jpg (578 KB, 450x5264) Image search: [Google]
1418670906873.jpg
578 KB, 450x5264
>>
I like Seed, but no, that was written by his buddy. Perhaps the follow would be more your speed. Mike wrote it, it's more action. Byrne is a good writer in my opinion, but maybe not the right speed for Hellboy.
>>
>>81269462
>>81269505
>>81269530
Oh, thanks. That's been helpful.
>>
File: timthumb.jpg (853 KB, 450x5465) Image search: [Google]
timthumb.jpg
853 KB, 450x5465
>>81269505
Here's an updated version. And OP, please know this is not a required list, just one possible way to do it. Just about every series is standalone
>>
>>81269578
Hey, it's a great series. Just want to help someone out.
>>
>>81269586
I think I want to give it all a try. I didn't know it was so extensive.
>>
read hellboy
read b.p.r.d.
then read the spin offs in whatever order you like
>>
This may be odd. I'm a bit of a neophyte to comics. Is it true Mike Mignola roomed with the creator of Sam And Max?
>>
>>81269505
This is missing The Amazing Screw-On Head.
>>
>>81269826
Kind of. Steve Purcell didn't actually create them, his little brother did. Purcell and Mignola were dorm mates and were and are very close friends. They were both each one's best man at their weddings. They're both Roman Catholic and really kind of weird.
>>
>>81269919
What's that?
>>
>>81269962

It's strange.
>>
>>81269962
A one-shot by Mignola that was adapted into a cartoon pilot, which wasn't picked up to punish humanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbsDvGtTRWU Watch it here, it's good shit.
>>
>>81269919
It's not set in the Hellboy Universe, which that image specifies.
>>
>>81270093
Aw, tits. That should totally have been picked up.
>>
>>81270522
Yeah, but those are the breaks.
>>
I want to thank you guys again for being so helpful. You guys rock.
>>
Just keep reading, the second one will do the trick.

It's funny how Rasputin is a joke character in the comics. Did not expect that coming out of the movies.
>>
>>81270764
The movies do him no justice. However, I love Ron Perlman as Hellboy. He sounds gruff, abrasive, but likable. Totally works.
>>
>>81270647
Hellboy is one of three things in the world universally loved by /co/

If it wasn't, you'd be getting shitposted for sure.
>>
>>81270093

WHY THE FUCK WASN'T THIS PICKED UP?
>>
>>81270878
Why is that? I love Hellboy, but how is it everyone loves Hellboy? Though, find me the asshole who doesn't just so I can bury my foot in his ass.
>>
>>81271839
Because Bryan Fuller worked on it and everything he touches either dies instantly or is only allowed to live so it can die prematurely a short time later.
>>
>>81270093
>FREE AT LAST FROM MY VEGGIE-TABLE PRISON
>>
>>81272011
Hellboy is fucking awesome?
>>
>>81269439
To be honest I find Vol1. to be totally skippable. Just go strait to Vol.2. It's basically a rehash of 1, but written much better.
>>
>>81272859
You think? That might be skipping things.
>>
>>81272011
hellboy is good but honestly my fave mignola thing is that one with the snake and the wizard
>>
>>81269439
Seems like the thread to ask this question- When is Hellboy in Hell Volume 2 gonna be released?
>>
>>81273001
God knows.
>>
>>81272900
anything you need to know from 1 is covered in 2.
>>
I have every Mignolaverse trade to date. Including Screw on Head and the Baltimore series its just over 60 books, so not really a challenge to get into. I recommend reading it all, Start with big red himself, read the lot in release order, then pick another series, BPRD, Abe Sapien etc.

Even the non canon stuff is great, Masks and Monsters trade has a great Batman crossover, and the weird tales anthology has some real works of art too.
>>
I read Plague of Frogs before any Hellboy and now both tied for pretty much my #1 comic. I think an underrated way to get into it.

My suggestion is start with BPRD. It jumps you into more of the action, and alludes to all the things HB did, then go back and read HB to get all these connections and lightbulbs going off. It was a lot of fun for me.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.