[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where should you start if you want to get into modern run of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 4273551-3858740058-john-.jpg (410 KB, 767x768) Image search: [Google]
4273551-3858740058-john-.jpg
410 KB, 767x768
Where should you start if you want to get into modern run of John Constantine?
>>
>>81255154
gonna go out on a limb and say the start of the modern run of Constantine
>>
Swamp Thang? Why would you wanna get into New 52 Constantine, they made magic DC into capes. Just read the old Hellblazer.
>>
>>81255154
Constantine: The Hellblazer.

Don't read anything that's simply Constantine, it's ass.
>>
>>81255154
Injustice : Year 3
>>
>>81255177
Tynion/Doyle's DCYou run is pretty good and not cape.
>>
>>81255179
This.
>>
File: jameson-2135.jpg (31 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
jameson-2135.jpg
31 KB, 400x300
>>81255179
Does that mean the original 80s run and the 2015 run skipping the middle run? Or are you saying just the 2015 one?

WHAT DO YOU MEAN???

>He serves as the lead character of the comic books Hellblazer (1988–2013), Constantine (2013–2015), and Constantine: The Hellblazer (2015–).
>>
>>81255179
The pre-DCYou run is ok. Really not that much Constantine until literally the last arc where John totally fucks over an alt universe version of his own parents/self. That felt pretty in-character.

The DCYou one felt like it could have been on the Vertigo run, or at least it would if it were part of the Vertigo line and allowed to be more weird.
>>
>>81255421
>>81255154
The stories aren't one long, continuing story, dude.

Read Hellblazer, all 300 issues, because they're all good, and a lot of them are amazing. Either before or after that, read Alan Moore's "American Gothic" storyline from Swamp Thing, the story that introduces John. And before or after THAT, read Moore's entire Swamp Thing run, because it's amazing too. Then read Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic.

After that, or in-between that, you can read the Hellblazer graphic novels, like The Horrorist, Pandemonium and All His Engines, and Miniseries' that John appears in, like The Trenchcoat Brigade, Bad Blood and Chas: The Knowledge.

After that, don't read any of New 52 Constantine (2013-15), nothing there is worth reading, not even >>81255646. If you're curious enough, you can read Justice League Dark, which is a novelty, but also a crap book that goes nowhere.

The 2015 Constantine: The Hellblazer is good, and the art is great, so it's worth reading as long as you're not scared of gay people like half the people talking about it seem to be.
>>
>modern
read the Vertigo constantine starting from #1 dont bother with DC constantine AT ALL
>>
File: how to read.png (464 KB, 427x960) Image search: [Google]
how to read.png
464 KB, 427x960
>>81256105
>real all of X
>talking this casually about over 10,000 pages of literature in just one post
>>
>>81256231
Don't do it in one sitting, numbnuts. It took me about a year, but it's all worth it. You want the abridged version, go hunt out the rec list.

Assholes like you are why people go around /co/ screeching "stop spoonfeeding casuals", because you ask something, and when you get an answer, you bitch about it.

If you don't want to read the comics, don't read them, nobody's forcing you to. But when you get to the end of the good Constantine comics and have to live through the shit-slog that was the New 52, you thank fucking god there's 300 Vertigo issues.
>>
>>81256231
That's the problem with asking "What should I read to get X?" on /co/. There's people who have been reading these books for years, if not decades, so they don't see anything weird with saying "read all of the major appearances of this character who's been fairly consistently published since the early 80's."

But yeah, go for either the original Hellblazer (and at 300 issues, it isn't an easy read if you have a day job or something else besides reading to do), or the current run.
>>
>>81256328
>Don't do it in one sitting, numbnuts.
Not that guy, but attempting to do this is why I haven't actively tried to read X-Men, Spider-Man, or Batman. So many god damned books that crossover in the same story.
>>
>>81256351
Hellblazer doesn't have crossovers or tie-ins, though. It has a pretty straightforward continuity, John ages over the course of it, starting in his mid-30s and ending closer to 70, and it doesn't have a universe to conform to.
>>
>>81256374
It KIND of has a crossover in the Delano run, in the sense that Swamp Thing dicks around with his body for a bit, but other than that, yeah.
Even then, it took me a few months to read all 300 issues and the graphic novels, and I downloaded the entire series on my phone so I can read whenever I have the time.
>>
>>81256351
>this is why I haven't actively tried to read X-Men, Spider-Man, or Batman
I've read up on all of those over the past six months
>>
File: General_Iroh.jpg (10 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
General_Iroh.jpg
10 KB, 274x184
>>81256329
>That's the problem with asking "What should I read to get X?" on /co/.
agreed, but i didnt ask that

i just wanted a clarification on whether >>81255179 meant he thought the original run of hellblazer was the only good hellblazer, or whether he meant the 2015 run

the names were similar so i got confused, i've only read like 10 issues of the original run

i tried to read swamp thing but it was dated man, i should've started immediately at alan moore's run lol

>>81256328
i read Akira no problem and that shits aeons long

just saying you meantioned a lot of literature in one post dude no need to get triggered asshole
>>
>>81256412
>you meantioned a lot of literature

That's a good thing when you ask for recs. Like I said before, nobody is going to force you to read it all. I hope you enjoy whatever you do choose to read, and I am happy to welcome you to Hellblazer.

Also, yeah, just read from Moore's run, it's basically a fresh start anyway.
>>
I stopped trying to read Constantine from the beginning to the end when i realized that 80s comic book art is godawful and that there's an entire fucking story arc about Constantine living with a hippie commune and doing jack shit for at least 5 issues.

My advice? Pick an artist/writer who has some street cred and start from there.
>>
>>81256412
Oh, the Vertigo run is without a doubt the best, but it's similarly dated early on. As an American who wasn't around in those days, seeing Delano go on about early 80's England bored the shit out of me. Personally, I'd suggest starting with the Ennis run and moving on, and then go BACK to the Delano run after you're invested in the character of John Constantine.

John Constantine has had three solo series.
He's introduced in Alan Moore's "Swamp Thing", which I haven't read yet.
Then there's the Vertigo series called "Hellblazer" which runs for 300 issues.
Next is the New 52 series "Constantine" which ran for about 20 issues, and wasn't very good.
The book that's running now is called "Constantine: The Hellblazer". It's considered better than "Constantine" but not as good as "Hellblazer".
>>
>>81256412
>should've started immediately at alan moore's run
pretty easy to do. There's only a handful of relevant pre-existing characters and you can infer what their relationship is to swampy pretty easily
>>
>>81256434
i didnt ask for a rec

heh
>>
There's a two issue arc by Morrison and a single issue by Gaiman, in the middle of Delano's run, both of which are quite good. So check those out. I think they were 25, 26 and 27.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.