[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
returning to DC comics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: 1457608774454.jpg (91 KB, 500x358) Image search: [Google]
1457608774454.jpg
91 KB, 500x358
Sup /co/ I'm starting to read DC comic books again, but I want opinions. What have been your favorite runs since the big reboot a few years back? what would you consider "must-read"?

If it helps any, I'd consider myself to be a fan of characters in The Flash, Jonah Hex, and a lot of what people might call "B teamers" like Green Arrow etc. Though I will probably read early reboot superman stuff, simply because him finding his way and whatnot sounds interesting enough

Picture tragically unrelated
>>
bampadoo
>>
Prez was a good mini, second half isn't out for a while though
>>
All-Star Western was good, anons say.
>>
Geoff Johns Aquaman and Brian Azzarello Wonder Woman are pretty good reads.
>>
>early New52
Dial H, All Star Western, Animal Man, Lemire Green Arrow, Demon Knights, Swamp Thing, Larfleeze, Azz Wonder Woman, Aquaman

>recent stuff/DCYou
Omega Men, Midnighter, Prez, All Star Section 8, Martian Manhunter, Grayson, Genevieve Valentine's run on Catwoman, Constantine: The Hellblazer, Robin: Son of Batman
>>
>>81231332
Oh and Gotham by Midnight.
>>
>>81230837
Lemire's Green Arrow run was pretty good. You should also read Dial H and Demon Knights.
>>
>>81231332
Basically all of these, but I would add Sinestro and Red Lanterns.
>>
>>81231425
>Red Lanterns
No, fuck you.
>>
Keep them coming! And thank all of you glorious people for your input
>>
>>81230837
If you like The Flash, maybe check out DC's Animated movie, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox.
It's based on the comic event written by Johns and Kubert, it wasn't that bad of an event but it wasn't that great. The movie has the parts worth your time, generally.
That said, it's still a fun read in the collected formats, the Batman stuff is especially good but it's still a Flash-centric event.
>>
>>81231332
Basically everything DC cancelled to make room for more Batbooks.
>>
I want to come back to DC but I'm put off by the Clark/Diana breakup. Fucking triggered that they didn't work out in magical fantasy land DC.
>>
If you end up liking Swamp Thing, read the New 52 Animal Man as well. Loved them both and they tie into one another.
>>
>>81231332
add I vampire it was a ngreat book, with some of the dumbest cover art I've ever seen.
>>81232102
DC have tried but going by the sales 30 books about Batman and his kids is what the readers clearly want.
>>
>>81232135
First time reading DC? Classic pairings always prevail.
>>
I know you've mostly listed GA/Flash, but I genuinely think that Batman and Robin: Born to Kill is an excellent arc. It's a Batman arc that manages to be fresh and approach it from a different angle - Bruce struggling with fathering such a difficult child - while also having incredible fight scenes and a stirring plot.

Justice League 3000/3001 is a great really funny lighter action book, it takes place in a distant future where, er, versions of the Justice league we know has been revived to police a modern, broken future. It's difficult to describe without giving away spoilers, but it's entertaining.

Oh and All Star Section 8 mini if you liked the original, it's fucking comedy gold and very true to the original.

>>81231332
This guy nailed everything else. Grayson and Omega Man seemed to be /co/'s designated favourites. They're both by Tom King, a former CIA agent turned to the best new writer in comics. DC just signed him exclusive but his Marvel series Vision is excellent, and he'll be writing Batman as of June.
>>
>>81232228
I Vampire started good but the ending arc was really rushed and cluttered. I'd probably still recommend it though.
>>
>>81230837
Morrison's Superman run is great. Skip Lodbell's run though. Pak's run picks up the pace again.
>>
>>81232331
Morrison's Action Comics, you mean?
>tfw Grant Morrison will never write the newly announced Superman ongoing with pre-Nu52 Superman and family
I don't need this kind of suffering in my life.
>>
>>81232644
You're getting Tomasi/Gleason and you're goddamn gonna like it!
>>
>>81232733
Tomasi's Supes is trash, I hope Gleason can fix him
>>
>>81232733
Oh, you're just worried Morrison would do what he did over on Batman and kill Jonathan at the end.
>>
>>81231332
Add Batman as a guilty pleasure.
>>
>>81230837
>putting ketchup on a hotdog
>>
>>81232783
Well, Tomasi is pretty good at father/son stories And that seems like the direction the series will be going in. It'll be interesting to see now that Gleason has been given writing billing too, yeah.

It's gonna be worth it just for the art at least.
>>
All of the recs here plus Snyder's Court of Owls, Zero Year and maybe Night of the Owls (but stay far away from his Joker work.) and, most importantly, the Multiversity.
>>
>>81232921
If Super League is decent then I'll have hope, but I can't see it being anything but trash at this point. Jurgens on Action is easily the safer book.
>>
>>81232785
I didn't even know who Jon was until /co/ was speculating over Supersons
I just like Tomasi/Gleason team :(
>>
>>81233196
But Tomasi is a lot better with Gleason to temper him. See GLC and B&R for proof.
>>
>>81233912
Maybe he just gets those characters more. He has shown a fundemental misunderstanding of Superman so far though. It's not just bad plot.
>>
>>81234010
Yeah, but isn't the big complaint how dark he can be? Gleason tends to inject more fun.
>>
>>81234086
Well I hope you're right, I don't WANT the book to be shit. But I'm not optimistic.
>>
>>81234010
My super knowledge is admittedly weak - where does Tomasi misstep in characterisation for Clark?
>>
Not OP

I have liked the Spic Blue Beetle a while ago, before Nu52

Is he still around?

I tried to read the Nu52 series, it wasn't really a disaster but it wasn't that good either. And then I lost track of him and then stopped reading DC (and comics in general)
>>
>>81235519
it's coming back written by giffen again
>>
>>81235519
Him being mentored by Ted is one of the new Rebirth upcoming comics, he's been kinda AWOL for a while in comics though
Looking forward to jumping back in, hopefully this time the writers keep his extended cast
>>
>>81235561
Awesome! I'm going back to DC then
>>
Dial H is an absolute must-read.
>>
>>81235572
>Ted
He is not dead anymore?

Boy I missed last few years of continuity.
>>
>>81235608
Lord never shot him in the head in the Nu52.
I'm pretty sure Lord just popped up in Grayson a bit ago, in charge of Checkmate.
I don't think Kord has appeared at all Nu52.
>>
File: the_hammer_of_justice.jpg (64 KB, 380x514) Image search: [Google]
the_hammer_of_justice.jpg
64 KB, 380x514
>>81231494
Fuck yourself, tranny
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.