[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone recommend any comics similar to Arkham Asylum by Mckean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 3247071-5871470561-tumbl.jpg (145 KB, 350x547) Image search: [Google]
3247071-5871470561-tumbl.jpg
145 KB, 350x547
Can anyone recommend any comics similar to Arkham Asylum by Mckean and Grant Morrison?

I found it extremely captivating and think the artwork is some of the most interesting work i've seen. Holy shit look at pic related, god damn. I'm not really that much into comics, the only ones i've enjoyed are The Killing Joke and this one, but i want to get more in to it if there's more like this.
>>
If you're after trippy painted comics, Dr. Strange: Into Shamballa is a good one
>>
Batman: Night Cries
>>
>>81230282
Artwork looks cool, but the subject matter doesnt interest me that much. Thanks anyway dude.
>>
>>81230319
This looks fucking perfect man. Thanks!
>>
>>81229937
the first book with zsasz by (i think) alan grant was great, totally differnt artstyle but well worth a read.

Maybe Faith with Deacon Blackfire, brill artwork but the story itself divides.

Any frank miller stuff tends to be good.

oh and Jugement in Gotham crossover with Judge Dredd has killer artwork (As does most 2000ad stuff)
>>
>>81231271
Judgement in Gotham looks really interesting. The artwork is a bit cartoony, but the panels look juicy as fuck. I'll def check it out. Thanks!
>>
File: Psycho style tryoutssmall.jpg (601 KB, 2500x1448) Image search: [Google]
Psycho style tryoutssmall.jpg
601 KB, 2500x1448
>>81231916
Working on a graphic novel myself, so i'm thinking that i should read up on some comics.

I'm struggling with style of the visuals, that's why i'm focusing on reading some of the more visual striking stuff to begin with.

If anyone could point me towards some comics that deals with dark material, i'd greatly appreciate it. Hope this doesn't violate any rules for blueboards.
>>
>>81229937
Kid Eternity by Morrison and Duncan Fegredo. Similarly insane paintwork
>>
>>81232050
Nice! Man, i didn't think there would be this much quality in the slightly alternative side of comics, i can't wait to read all this shit.
>>
>>81232110
> i didn't think there would be this much quality in the slightly alternative side of comics
Sorry to destroy your optimism but it's the only place there's any quality nowadays.
Hellboy is uninimously lauded here so if you're interested in indie/not big 2 stuff, start there.
>>
>>81232180
That doesn't destroy my optimism at all. That's the case with almost any type of culture, the best stuff is rarely what is celebrated.
>>
>>81232050
Adding to this, Enigma by Milligan and also Fegredo.
>>
>>81232543
Thanks dude. Not quite the style i'm looking for, but everything helps. The style of my comic may even change alot, so i should keep an open mind when it comes to this stuff.
>>
Check out McKean's other stuff. There's more vibrant collage-style imagery in Mr. Punch and Signal To Noise, for instance.
Personally I love it when he gets more subdued and wistful in something like Signal To Noise. But then again, I didn't really care for the in-your-face dark-&-edginess of Arkham Asylum, so see whatever suits you.
>>
there was a Deadspace comic with digital watercolor as the medium
>>
>>81229937
For art style there is very little but David Macks Kabuki is very similar in some books. He has an entire book of her being in an asylum trying to sort out who she is.

Its really fucking good but very much 'new art' and part of the story is always hidden words in the page. Read the first one and Dream. If you like it read the rest.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.