[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /co/ think about Malibu Comics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
What does /co/ think about Malibu Comics?
>>
>>81182168
I sometimes wish that marvel would bring it back as an alternate universe, but then I remember what they did to some characters like Mantra and Prototype after they bought malibu and I realize that they're better off in limbo.
>>
>>81182168
Noble effort to compete against the major publishers, lots of talent, poor execution marred by 90s XTREME! stylings.

Kind of like the WCW of comics.
>>
I remember cartoon that I thought was pretty cool because it was darker than any other cartoons at the time.
>>
>>81185079
I think they're probably happy just to get a little MiB money now and then; there's not much about Malibu that isn't ultimately derivative or just easier to do with their own existing lines, and there's not a lot of point pushing characters that debuted in the 90s in a dead publisher - hardly any of them will still have fans. Easier to just come up with something else.
>>
File: 1400632-elven.jpg (72 KB, 421x640) Image search: [Google]
1400632-elven.jpg
72 KB, 421x640
>Frank Cho will never draw a nudity filled Elven series.
Why Live?
>>
>>81182168
With the Ultraverse? I liked some of their books, like Sludge, The Strangers, and Prime. They had problems and were kinda derivative at times, but they deserved better than they got.

Be honest, I didn't read all that much of the regular Malibu stuff, like the Protectors Universe. I did read Ex-Mutants, which was...OK, I guess. And Dinosaurs For Hire was pretty good at times.
>>
I didn't give a shit back then but I came across a few random issues in a grab bag and they piqued my interest.
>>
File: Mantra inf01.jpg (513 KB, 1024x1565) Image search: [Google]
Mantra inf01.jpg
513 KB, 1024x1565
Malibu was a great alternative, better and more cohesive than Dark Horse, Archie and Image's superhero offerings at the time then Marvel bought them and completely destroyed the brand in under 2 years.

>>81185079
Mantra II has to be the worst legacy hero of all time, what was Marvel thinking other than "no more quasi gay shit"
>>
>>81185269
Protectors was rather cliche filled, but did a decent job at a "shared universe" concept with a slew of public domain characters. Some of the solo titles, though,were rather decent 90's flavored properties like Gravestone.

Some of the other titles, though were just... meh. Ex-Mutants, for example, and Ravager by Walter Koenig was "what the hell" levels of writing. Dinosaurs for Hire and Men in Black were good. Also, props to Malibu being one of the few companies to actually attempt at making a burgeoning manga selection like Dark Horse back in the day as well.
>>
>>81188273
>Mantra II has to be the worst legacy hero of all time, what was Marvel thinking other than "no more quasi gay shit

yup, that about sums it up.
>>
>>81185079
marvel hates Scott Mitchell Rosenberg so much that they let the ultraverse languish in limbo than financially exploit it.
>>
>>81185269
What was weird about Malibu is that before Ultraverse happened, they had three other comic book imprints. Aircel is probably the strongest out of all of them both content and idea wise and also gave rise to the source material for the Men In Black movies and cartoon

Funny how it used to be a government funded insulation company based in Canada
>>
File: 33450-5148-37352-1-prime.jpg (53 KB, 436x640) Image search: [Google]
33450-5148-37352-1-prime.jpg
53 KB, 436x640
>>81182168
Yeah to their credit they tried to tell grounded capeshit while trying to look like Image and while it wasn't bad per se none of it was particularity great either.

It doesn't help now that Prime was the centerpiece & when modern readers see him they always go "How 90's can you get? LOL!" without knowing that he is a Shazam clone and was supposed to be what a 13 year old in the 90's thought a superhero SHOULD look like, in other words he was a satire on Image style.

Yeah I was mildly hoping to see Malibu get a nod in Secret Wars 2015 but Marvel just wants to keep these guys buried for life for what? Royalties?
>>
>>81189755
Details or links about that?
>>
File: 3326041-jlkj+ioho'.jpg (79 KB, 601x596) Image search: [Google]
3326041-jlkj+ioho'.jpg
79 KB, 601x596
>>81185269
>>81182168

I loved prime as a kid just the idea of it was amazing to me and I loved the style of the comic it was just so over the top. I loved the cartoon as well with the green zombie guy, I can never remember his name, but he has that power where if he touched something he knew where it had been previously.
>>
>>81192083
The zombie dude you're talking about is Ghoul. And his power wasn't just "knowing what the dead knew'. He could summon the ghosts of any person/entity, and communicate with them, as well as being undead. The ONE power everyone forgets he has is that he can also EAT A PERSON'S SOUL for more power.

In context, that's a really horrifying power, both for power scale depending on the soul consumed.
>>
>>81192392
In context, that's a really horrifying power, both for power scale depending on the soul consumed, and just the fact he literally eats souls.

Gotta learn to finish my thoughts, sometimes...
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.