[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>raised in nowhere Kansas >country bumpkin >never has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 5
File: lead_960.jpg (156 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
lead_960.jpg
156 KB, 960x640
>raised in nowhere Kansas
>country bumpkin
>never has an American country accent
Why?
>>
>>81179677
Clark Kent, now there was a real gent
He would not be caught sittin' around in no
Junglescape, dumb as an ape doing nothing
>>
>Kryptonian
>1000s of years more advanced than us
>still looks human
>>
>>81179677
Kansas doesn't have a country accent. It's part of the "general American" midwest, which is considered neutral/the standard for American English.
>>
>>81180229
I from St Louis and I've know a lot of people with an accent, mostly older people. It's not really a country sounding though, its vaguely sounds like a Chicago accent.
>>
>>81180229
He doesn't even refer soda as pop. I find it odd since he's written as a simple country boy as Clark but never really displays it.
>>
File: Midland_American_English_map.jpg (87 KB, 676x370) Image search: [Google]
Midland_American_English_map.jpg
87 KB, 676x370
>>81180322
St. Louis and Chicago sorta have that regional mix and northern influence. Most Kansans have an accent flatter than Kansas itself.
>>
>>81180229
Nope. Kansas isn't standard. They have a Midlands accent, which is not American Standard. Midlands has a drawl and sounds vastly less intelligent, whereas American Standard/General American is used by the west coast and is considered the standard for people on television due to its more refined delivery and deliberate tempo. If you don't speak AS/GA, you're either a hick, a goomba, or a minority.
>>
>>81179677
You do know it's possible to be raised in a region of the US and not have the accompanying accent, right?
>>
>>81180634
"The fact that a rural, broadly Midwestern dialect became the basis of what is General American English is often attributed to the mass migration of Midwestern farmers to California and the Pacific Northwest from where it spread,since California speech itself became prevalent in nationally syndicated films and media via the Hollywood film industry."

It's literally taken from the Midwest.
>>
>>81180765
Nope because there's always the occasional word and slip. Like the W sound. And in I'm in los Angeles so I have a light sounding Hispanic accent
>>
>>81179677
What kind of accent does he have to you? I'm in too deep to ID an accent similar to mine.
>>
>>81180888
He sounds like an alien
>>
File: diazsuperman.jpg (60 KB, 500x635) Image search: [Google]
diazsuperman.jpg
60 KB, 500x635
>>81180137
Which is why I prefer a Superman Martian Manhunter synthesis. Superman is a post singularity being.
>>
>>81180825
And? It's called evolution. It happens in very short spans of time in societies. They're now two distinct things. One sounds like bumpkins, one sounds like normal modern people.
>>
I dont recall Martha and Jonathan... Or any Smallville residents having hick accents. Stands to reason Clark wouldn't either.
>>
>>81180888
I expect him to have a slight drawl and slower speech pattern. And Bruce Wayne should have something like Donald trump.
>>
>>81180835
Some people never acquire a local dialect. I grew up right next to Texas, but people mistake me as being from Minnesota or the East coast, where I've never lived or visited.

General American English.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_American

DO YOU SPEAK IT?!
>>
>>81180954
Yes I'm in los Angeles heart of the media world but even here there's a local accent that's not perfect general American. Speech is much faster and drawn out a bit at the end.
>>
>>81179677
Kansas here; we don't have an accent of any kind. When I travelled in Europe, they were confused that I spokeenglish but had no accent whatsoever.
>>
>>81180921
Go home, Aaron.
>>
Here's the big question:

Do you sometimes say "fer" instead of "for"?
>>
Because fuck you rednecks. No one likes your or your shitty music
>>
>>81180137
We are the ultimate lifeforms anon
>>
>>81180634
>west coast
Literally the worst part of the US.
>>
>>81180634
Thinking that any accent sounds unintelligent proves that you're unintelligent.
>>
>>81181068
When I taught English overseas, teachers from other regions of NA were told to model their accent after mine. Girl from CA sounded like a surfer bum.
>>
>>81180835
>Nope because there's always the occasional word and slip
Unless you're smart enough to not slip. I'm from near Boston, and I recognized and eliminated my Boston accent at a young age. If you're an intelligent human being with the ability to grasp language and diction, your mind will easily remember how to pronounce words correctly instead of how you incorrectly learned them from your environment.

I recently took some night classes with a bunch of folks my age. Some of them had slight Boston accents, but could drop them when they wanted to sound serious and/or intelligent, except for one kid, the dumbest in class, he couldn't recognize that how he was talking was wrong, and could not, for the life of him, correct himself.

The moral of the story is that people who lack the brain power to control their own fucking speech are idiots.
>>
>>81179677
Because superman is written by a bunch of east coast assholes and acted by a British guy.
>>
>>81181186
How can there be rednecks in Kansas? There are two definitions for redneck in the US. One is a southern slur against the white working class, and the other refers to a certain kind of culture in coal country. Neither of those two groups should be in the midwest.
>>
File: face015.png (147 KB, 271x253) Image search: [Google]
face015.png
147 KB, 271x253
>>81181128
no
>>
>>81181268
So you are saying everyone should be stuck up and look down on their own heritage?
>>
>>81180932
People who lack any accent(TV accent) sound effeminate and boring. You say normal, but you mean queer.
>>
>>81181281
Because idiots on the coasts literally know nothing about geography outside of their own region because the rest of the US is "lol flyover southern hicks."
>>
>>81181268
I use coke when ordering a soft drink. It's these slips, if I need to speak formally I can. But I'm talking about Clark Kent, who should be slipping some Kansas terminology once in a while
>>
>>81181230
Found the Kansas resident.
>>
>>81181281
We have rednecks in Kansas, but they have no accent. Still just as dumb and stereotypical as you'd think, though.

>>81181250
It's so weird when you hear people in the US speak with with an accent; but could just be the whole Kansas guy actually hearing an accent.
>>
>>81181331
Better than being a jealous hick like you, I would say.
>>
Clark should have a country bumpkin accent, Superman should speak as he usually does.
>>
>>81181268
The moral of the story is that you aren't smart enough to realize that trivial things like dialect don't determine intelligence. You're also a complete conformist for losing your accent. It's better in your mind to fit in than it is to be who you really are. You have a weak mind and you're going to have to live with that.
>>
>>81181394
>Still just as dumb and stereotypical as you'd think, though.
I wouldn't because I had family that fought in the coal wars. Here, redneck is not derogatory.
>>
I'm pretty sure that this thread revealed that people in Kansas are just too dumb to hear how low class they sound.
>>
>>81181326
He's obviously incredibly stupid.
>>
>>81181344
There's a difference between accent and regional terminology.

And I'm pretty sure there are writers who have had Clark, and occasionally even Superman, use some kind of hick slang.
>>
>>81181405
Yeah, I'm so jealous of your plastic culture and willingness to conform. I don't even pity you. I simply look down on you.
>>
>>81181287
fuck you Diaz you're a fucking faggot who can't take criticism of any kind and you are easily the worst layout artist I've ever seen in comics. MC Escher could lay out a more coherent page than you.
You have good fetishes though for the most part and I'm glad you're Claremont tier at jamming them in there. I think Ashley Burch is cute too, but I also wish she was buffer and a cyborg.
Overall fuck yourself though.
>>
>>81181438
Ah. Well, here, it's considered a broad term for any individual who is white trash/hey bubba, hold my beer and watch this type.
>>
>>81181268
>In night school
>claims he's not stupid
Ok bud
>>
>>81181435
>trivial things like dialect don't determine intelligence
Not even what I said, moron. I said the inability for someone to recognize they HAVE an accent, or to be able to willingly speak without it identifies them as someone with less brainpower.
>You're also a complete conformist for losing your accent. It's better in your mind to fit in than it is to be who you really are.
It was important for me to speak in a way that I was easily understood and with correct diction. I also can flip my accent back on whenever I want. I often do it when traveling, otherwise people always ask "Hey, you're from Boston? How come you don't have an accent? PAHK YA CAH IN HAHVAHD YAAAAHHD!!!!"
>You have a weak mind and you're going to have to live with that.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>81181546
Then why not just white trash?
>>
>>81180634
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_American

Interesting how little talk about the West Coast there is in this article.

For the record, there's a reason why everyone hates you guys.
>>
>>81181435
>trivial things like dialect don't determine intelligence
Then why is it that every fucking redneck that I've met who talks like a damned idiot actually turns out to BE a damned idiot?
>>
>>81180921
Faggot shit
>>
>>81181584
>I said the inability for someone to recognize they HAVE an accent, or to be able to willingly speak without it identifies them as someone with less brainpower.
And that's retarded, it's not like a Boston accent makes you unintelligible, even the thickest southie accent is completely understood by any native English speaker.
>>
>>81181593
Eh. Who knows? I assume it's due to the media and stereotypes. Small town Kansas, like Clark would be from, is actually really chill; hardworking, educated people that ooze old times values. Food is amazing, too.
>>
>>81181594
>For the record, there's a reason why everyone hates you guys.
I went to (southern) California once. Tip your hat to people, hold a door open, ask a stranger how they are doing: those fuckers are going to look at you like you are carrying the plague and plan to skull fuck them. Most unfriendly part of the US.
>>
>>81181620
Maybe they disagree with homosexuality? Why is it that everyone I meet from California is stupid? Does that mean the entire state is?
>>
>>81181500
Pfffttthhahahahahah

I can just imagine you, acting so tough, adjusting your fanny pack, telling me how you look down on me. Like what autistic kids used to say in school before everyone wailed on them.
>>
>>81181657
Yeah, this guy is pretty dumb.
>>
>>81181657
The only accent I have trouble understanding is that really thick South African accent some people have. I had a professor in college that I had to really strain myself to comprehend half the time.
>>
>>81181677
I was just in LA the other week and I didn't find that to be the case at all. Maybe you midlanders just think that when someone doesn't jerk you off for doing that they hate you? I dunno I'm from New York, we do all that shit but we just grunt and nod in response instead.
>>
>>81181594
It literally says that the accent came from migration to the west coast, where it changed from hickspeak to standard and proper american.

I guess on top of kissing your sisters you hicks also enjoy misreading shit.
>>
>>81181722
Smiles are significant here in the midwest. Which, by the way, is what we identify with. Not "midland".
>>
>>81181677
I never realized how comfy and kind the midwest was until I travelled and lived outside of it.
>>
>>81181697
What you're actually saying is that your imagination is as weak as your mind. I'm sure you were the autistic kid that got wailed on. If I'm wrong and you wailed on autistic kids then you're a bigger faggot than I thought.
>>
I don't know, why does he look like his Dad just died in front of him at almost every given moment. It must be like a Nam flashback that never ends.
>>
>>81181661
>Small town Kansas
Kansas also has really polite police. I've been pulled over across the width and breadth of the US and Kansas, by far has the nicest police.

West Virginia has some of the most hospitable locals, but Kansas definitely has the most polite and friendly highway cops.
>>
>>81181747
What you call yourself is irrelevant since you guys don't really matter until election season when people pretend to remember you existed.
>>
>>81181620
probably third-cause fallacy.
>>
>>81181730
By the 2000s, American sociolinguist William Labov concluded that, if any sound system could be recognized as "General American," it would essentially be a convergence of those features shared among Western American English, Midland American English, and Standard Canadian English.[20]

Now typically regarded as falling under the General American umbrella are the dialects of the American West,[20][21] Western New England,[22] and perhaps much of the American Midland and Canada.
>>
>>81181730
Yes, it says that it went to the West coast and became the standard accent through Hollywood. It doesn't say it underwent some evolutionary change.
>>
>>81181761
So if you're starting an internet fight with someone you think is autistic, what does that make you?

Hahahaha, typical dimwitted midwest trash. No wonder your states are just glorified nuclear waste dump sites.
>>
>>81181722
>Maybe you midlanders
Hillbilly here. I'd go insane if I had to spend more then a week outside the mountains. It's like reverse claustrophobia.
>>
>>81181747
Midwestern, cool. I'm certainly a smiler, and I found a lot of people in LA to be smilers too. NY is not smile-town though.
>>
>>81181789
>I'm better than you because I was born in a different part of the country

Kek. People like you actually exist? This is just trolling, right?
>>
>>81181230
>Thinking that any accent sounds unintelligent proves that you're unintelligent.

No, he's right. It's more pronounced in older countries, like England, where the RP accent is obviously perceived as more "intelligent" than the "lower" accents, but it's a bias in America too.
>>
>>81181719
Extreme Scottish accents can be tough as well and thick Scouse ones. Funny that the British can fuck up their own language so bad.
Some southern Americans with Creole accents are tough too but I'm not sure that counts since their accent is colored by a non English language
>>
>>81181848
City people. They aren't even human. Don't mind them.
>>
>>81181787
Everyone is generally friendly and you can approach most anyone here if you're in need of a hand. Pretty polite, as well. And I agree; we have some really reasonable and polite officers here. Stern, but fair.
>>
>>81181870
They tried to have an "upper class" accent in America, the Mid-Atlantic accent that was used in old Hollywood. Not really a thing anymore.
>>
>>81181880
>City people
But I live in a city. What's up with people thinking the entire midwest is farmland?
>>
the whole of the family on my mothers side--including herself-- comes from kansas, arkansas, missouri, and texas and only my in-law uncle from texas has a noticably different way of talking

god i love Uncle Eddie
>>
I was raised on TV, so my natural accent is General American.

Man it feels good to be a gangsta.
>>
>>81179677
Because people don't always retain the accent of where they are from.
I was born and raised in central NJ and have nothing approaching the accent many of the people I grew up with have.

I know people from boston who don't sound like theyre from boston at all and some who haven't traveled as much as clark probably has.
>>
>>81181994
Well you seemed like a human being, so I assumed you didn't.
>>
>>81182143
yo same here man, what part?
>>
>>81181931
There is a very real american accent hierarchy, though. And hickspeak is right at the bottom of it. Literally no true american accent is worse than hickspeak.
>>
>>81182284
Idk what you're on about, but people in teh city here in the cities here in Ohio (except Cleveland) aren't bad.
>>
File: wall or nothing.jpg (237 KB, 1200x840) Image search: [Google]
wall or nothing.jpg
237 KB, 1200x840
>>81181880
>>
>>81182382
I'm exaggerating for effect, but it takes a kind of madness to want to live that close to other people.

>>81182395
>They have a mall.
That's still a city. I have to drive 100 miles if I want to go to a mall.
>>
>>81182367
>Acceptable-tier
Standard American

>Only people where you're from will like you-tier
Any other accent
>>
>>81182580
More of a town or outskirts of the actual city.
>>
>>81182580
no that's a town, you live in a village
>>
>>81182580
if you don't have a light rail or a subway you're not a city
>>
>>81182656
>you live in a village
I live in the woods. My nearest neighbor is 10 miles away.
>>
>>81182666
There are some cities with neither that are larger than smaller cities with one or the other.
>>
>>81182666
Can you see your neighbors: you live in civilization.
Can you hear your neighbors: you live in a town.
Can you taste your neighbors on the air: you live in a city.
>>
>>81182367
Not to disagree that there's a hierarchy, it's just way less pretentious than it used to be. Mid-Atlantic was a made up accent that people learned to sound more posh and educated. Standard American is just speaking without most regional markers. It wasn't adopted because it makes you sound rich, but because it's understandable and neutral.
>>
>>81182710
I know I was just memeing, I hate not having good public transit when I'm in a city, though uber has made that very different
>>
>>81182691
I'm so jealous. Adopt me.

What do you do for work, if you don't mind? That's the only thing that keeps me living close to a city.
>>
>>81179677

I live in Kansas and hardly anyone here has a "country" accent. That's almost entirely reserved for the southern states.
>>
>>81182783
Contract work. Data security and stuff like that. Pretty much anything computer related.
I travel a bit for it.
It hasn't been good to me since 2012 though. I need better employ but I don't want to move.

If you are young and don't mind backbreaking dirty hazardous work, I recommend learning to weld and joining a boilermakers union. You work all over the country in the fall, winter, and part of spring, make very good money for a laborer, and then enjoy the Summer in whatever location you wish to live. It's good money if you can do the job, and if you don't mind paying out the ass for certs and have any kind of college degree at all it can lead to $100,000 a year salaries. A lot of my neighbors are boilermakes. We have almost no local industry.
>>
>>81182783

If he lives in the midwest and he's that far out in the boonies he's either a farmer or he does some kind of IT work from home.
>>
>>81182940
>Midwest
No, Appalachia. Still a fairly accurate guess.
>>
>>81182367
Define hickspeak. I don't think you understand how many low-class accents there are in American English.
>>
>>81182323
Sayreville
>>
>>81182911
Thanks for the tip, but I'm a tiny grill with horrible upper body strength. I wouldn't mind that kind of work if I were physically capable of doing it, but you know how it goes. It's hard figuring out what work from home shit is actually legit, though.
>>
>>81183023
nice place I'm from keansburg
>>
>>81183000
just a general drawl, im sure all countries have them

to American English its characterized by real squishy, mouthy words possibly accompanied by uniquely rustic diction
>>
>>81183122
london
o
n
d
o
n
>>
>>81180137
They're not that far ahead of us. Technological development is exponential.

I mean Christ, the iPhone came out when Obama was first elected and now I can hook my Note 5 to a virtual reality platform. My parent's generation were born before color TV took hold, their parents saw the atom split, and before them people were still riding horses.
>>
>>81181677
This
>check into hotel
>ask the guy at the desk if there's a grocery store nearby
>says in the most stereotypically gay lisp possible, "honey you ain't in Walmart country anymore"
>*sigh* ok where would one buy bread if they wanted some?
>well if you insist there is a whole foods, it's sort of like a grocery store, but I don't know if you can afford it...
Seriously I never got a fucking answer out of any of those people without them trying to slip in some stupid shit they thought they were the only one in the room smart enough to get.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.