[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any recommended preparatory reading before tackling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: the_return_of_superman.jpg (473 KB, 1538x1119) Image search: [Google]
the_return_of_superman.jpg
473 KB, 1538x1119
Is there any recommended preparatory reading before tackling Death and Return, or should cursory knowledge of the DC universe be enough?
>>
Basic knowledge is about enough, but you'll still occasionally say "Who the hellmis this guy?".
Also Lex transfered his brain to a younger clone body, and Supergirl is Matrix Supergirl, look for details on that.
>>
I don't even remember the Superman with the goggles, just that he and Guy threw down.
>>
It's in the catalog and the archive right now.
>>
>>81171431

The story itself, yes. But I want to know if there's stuff that should be read before going into it to enhance the experience.
>>
>>81171768
Not really.
Doomsday just pops out of nowhere.
Lex is in a clone body.
Supergirl is a putty monster.
>>
>>81170213
You have to read Superman #0-#1,000,000 for this to make any sense, otherwise you'll be lost.
>>
>>81171808
>Supergirl is a putty monster.
I never got that. her face just turns to putty and i assumed at the time it was a shitty way around showing gore.
>>
>>81170884
Thats eradicator. greatest of the replacement superman.
>>
Is this even worth reading?

I want to get into Superman but this seems like a mess of an event.
>>
>>81173318
Death of Superman is a mess, it's more famous because even the public outside of comic shops heard about it. There was a SNL sketch and people talked about it on the news
>>
I reccomend John Bryne Superman, its pretty good
Also features the first Matrix Supergirl story
>>
>>81173264
That's not Cyborg, or Superboy.
>>81173318
Death is just one big fight scene. Funeral is people crying, and decently written.
Reign is fantastic, and Return is a better written fight scene, and the set up for Emerald Twilight.
>>
>>81173318
>>81173384
Ignore the haters. Death and Return are both amazing.
People criticise Death because of the lack of clarity and explanation as to what's happening, but that's what I think is so great about it. Imo, Doomsday popping up out of nowhere is absolutely perfect and once he was brought back (and eventually had his origin explained) he was forever ruined. I feel that the way the story's done really gives you access to Superman's mindset: what's happening, what is this thing, why is destroying everything, why won't it stay down?; and it's wonderful watching the futility of the situation dawn on Superman and to see desperation start to crack him.
>>
>>81173318
It's neatly collected into three volumes, so it's not really that messy.

Not gonna lie, the actual Death story is really shitty. Awful dialogue, shit that makes no sense (Doomsday is an alien monster buried underground for millennia and should have no knowledge of the English language or even the Latin alphabet, yet he punches his way out of the ground and reads a billboard that says there will be a boxing match in Metropolis, and actually sounds out the word "Metropolis" and then heads there because he knows the direction somehow and could also understand the abstract concept of "fighting" from a billboard featuring symbols and pictures he should not be able to comprehend and can intellectualize the fact that he likes to fight, so he should go to Metropolis to fight.

But, also not gonna like, the Reign of the Supermen is fucking AWESOME. Steel, Cyborg Superman, The Eradicator, Superboy... it's a good story with some cool characters and things get pretty heavy near the end.
>>
>>81173986
>>81173776
>>81173637

Alright, you guys convinced me.

Imma skim death and funeral, and then read reign and return.
>>
>>81170213
I love the way this cover totally fucking gives away the twist in Return of Superman.
>>
>>81174321
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM
or even just watch this.
Max landis is a bit of a blowhard and has gotten full of himself in recent history...but i still really dig this video.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.