[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIRECTOR JAMES WAN PROMISES "FUN" AQUAMAN
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
File: Aquaman.jpg (91 KB, 620x826) Image search: [Google]
Aquaman.jpg
91 KB, 620x826
>The biggest criticism levelled at BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE - fair or not - is that it isn't any fun. Asked by IGN at WonderCon this weekend whether AQUAMAN will be taking a similarly dark approach, THE CONJURING director James Wan replied: "The kind of filmmaker that I am...even my darker horror films generally are still very fun and I think that's important for me and the kind of films I make." Now, he obviously wouldn't give too much away about the plot, but it sounds like the movie will follow "The New 52" by addressing the fact that the hero has often been perceived as something of a joke. "Aquaman is a character that a lot of people have made fun of over the years and I just think it's fun to actually show a really different, cool, badass side to this character, but at the same time, let's not forget to have fun with it." So, it sounds like fun may now be the name of the game at Warner Bros.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2016/03/27/aquaman-director-james-wan-says-tone-will-be-different-from-bvs?+main+twitter
>>
>Aquaman throws a criminal to the sharks and laughs about it with the sharks as they eat him alive
>Atlantean 'humor'
>>
>>81142277
This is only perpetuating the sterotype of Aquaman being the joke
Also nice double dubs OP
>>
>>81142277
How is this considered newsworthy? We all knew Snyder was going to shit the bed with BvS. He's never directed a decent movie in his life. The best we can hope for is that WB gets their shit together and puts someone else on Justice League.

At the very least the rest of the DC movies that Snyder isn't touching will be able to do their own thing hopefully and actually be decent.

But really with any luck Snyder will be killed in a car crash and we'll never have to worry about him being a retard again.
>>
>Marvel and comic readers explaining "fun" to Snyder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqhfLTsEeZg
>>
File: A1IP5.gif (375 KB, 500x292) Image search: [Google]
A1IP5.gif
375 KB, 500x292
>>81142305
OUTRAGEOUS
>>
So we're going to have the diner "I DONT talk to fish" scene then? I just want it to do well, have Orm with the Trench, and hopefully get a fantastic sequel with Black Manta
>>
I don't care if the movie is "serious" or "fun".

I just want it to be GOOD.
>>
I just want Justice League Part one to be Throne of Atlantis adaptation so the solo aquaman film can focus on black manta
>>
>>81142277
the retardation has already begun!

hope we get a flipper joke that gets 100% tomatoes.
>>
File: 1457701156363.gif (175 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1457701156363.gif
175 KB, 500x375
D A M A G E C O N T R O L
A
M
A
G
E

C
O
N
T
R
O
L
>>
With Aquaman looking like that, I wouldn't mind a complete reboot of the original plan and just doing Flashpoint Paradox.
>>
>>81142277
Why did Aquaman get a poster but not the Flash? Aquaman had less screentime.
>>
>>81142803
Throne of Atlantis was awful, just not good.
SHIT, it's probably going to be Throne of Atlantis.
>>
>>81142369
>He's never directed a decent movie in his life
>300
>Watchmen
>Dawn of The Dead
All decent to above average movies. Also isn't James Wan the guy that directed those shitty Final Destination movies and the shittiest Saw movies or am i thinking of someone else?

>But really with any luck Snyder will be killed in a car crash and we'll never have to worry about him being a retard again.

Jeez. Did this guy fuck your prom date or something?
>>
>>81142955
James Wan did the first Saw movie and went on to do other horror movies I can't name and one of the Fast and the Furious movies

So from a studio stand point I'm sure he's perfect because he does genre movies and always makes a profit
>>
>>81142838
Yeah, no shit. His job requires him to promote his movie in the best light possible, since he's trying to sell it.
>>
>>81142907
It's Darkseid.
>>
>>81142329
The stereotype of Aquaman being a joke is perpetuated by people that literally have never read or been exposed to Aquaman outside of that one Family Guy sketch. Even a shitty, Batman and Robin tier Aquaman movie would dispel all myths about Aquaman. Having said that this Rob Zombie design Aquaman is awful.
>>
>>81143030
I just want Warner to shove Darkseid in as soon as possible so DC will begin reprinting the Fourth World omnis.

I don't care about these movies/shows, but it's caused DC to reprint a lot of great shit like Ostrander's Suicide Squad and Grell''s Green Arrow
>>
>>81142955
Hi Snyder.
>>
>>81142907
johns revamp of ocean master turned him from a joke into a character loaded with potential
>>
>>81142277
superfriend aquaman then?
>>
File: 1442586390125.jpg (129 KB, 590x609) Image search: [Google]
1442586390125.jpg
129 KB, 590x609
You want to make it fun? Make the fucking main antagonist Black Manta.

He won't because "M-MUH TRAITOROUS BROTHER" is much easier to believably write than autistic African American pirate that would rather see the world burn than see Aquaman have any sort of happiness.

I'm mad thinking about the fact that we're getting another fucking Orm story for the 1928390128390th time. Holy fuck I'm tired of Orm
>>
>>81142277
I d hardly call any off Wan's movies "fun", but As much as hate DCs grimdark aesthetic, a horror type Aquaman made by the Saw dude sounded kinda interesting. Casting a Polynesian dude was a pretty cool decision too.
>>
Praise Asian Jesus!
>>
>>81142277
BVS is bad not because of the tone but the convoluted and shit plot and the bad pacing but ofc WB dont get it
>>
>>81143492
he directed a fast/furious movie, a franchise that has made a stupid amount of money by being "fun"
>>
>>81143452
didn't he make up being autistic to pull off an evil scheme just like he made up caring about civil rights for the same reason?
>>
>>81143650
movies can still be good and not be fun. fun is just the lowest, most easily reachable bar. snyder tried do something else with BvS, and in theory, that's fine. but he failed miserably, while making the movie about as un-fun as possible
>>
I still secretly hope he's outrageous. Not gonna happen, but it would be perfect that he looks all bad ass but then he is kind of a weirdo who thinks of shit on the surface as more of a cool adventure than saving the world

>Justice league fighting parademons
>Aquaman leaves because he senses a school of fish in trouble
>rest of of JL apprehended, about to be kill
>"what the hell is that"
>like 100 sea turtles riding big wave with Aquaman on top
>JL and parademons dumbfounded
>fuckhuge sharks jump out like pic related
>just a hearty belly laugh from Mamoa

Making him bad ass is just gonna look desperate to casuals. Outrageous Aquaman would be a fan favorite. It'd even be fun to see new JL recruits act around him because of how strange he is
>>
>>81142907
>Ocean Master fast enough to punch out the Flash
>Ocean Master strong enough to beat wondy and puncture Superman's skin
>Ocean Master able to use lightning to revert Cpt Marvel to Billy
>Able to do all of this at once
>Black Manta could have been cut from the movie without losing anything
>Loses to Aquaman in a straight-up fight
>Aquaman is better than the entire core JL combined

Throne of Atlantis was such trash. All they had to do was make it a solo movie for Aquaman instead of a JL movie and it would have been way better.
>>
Roman Reigns the guy with the biggest pecs
>>
The fun part is that Jason Momoa is not a good actor.
>>
>>81142277
This was the one movie that needed to be serious though, so people could finally take Aquaman as a serious bad ass.
>>
>>81143849

Sharks that size shouldn't be able to do much to parademons.
>>
File: 1454453320673.jpg (65 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1454453320673.jpg
65 KB, 600x600
They'll turn Aquaman into DCU's Thor. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
>>
>>81143893
we're talking the comic nigga not the movie
>>
What happened to it being more serious and scary, being a look at the crazy shit that goes on deep in the ocean?
>>
>>81143739
Yes and no.

Autism was introduced as his legitimate supervillain origin, but when the next writer came along, it was retconned into another scheme to make Aquaman look bad. Just like the pirate rape and the underwater black haven thing.
>>
>>81142277
I could see him being their Thor fish out of water character and being a little silly
>>
>>81142955
>300
>Watchmen
>DotD
Only DotD was considered decent movie. 300 and Watchmen despite it's material the movies it selves came of as only mediocre.
>>
>>81143023
>James Wan did the first Saw movie
only one that actually mattered of the series
>>
>>81142955
James Wan directed & wrote the first Saw film which generated what 7 sequels which he was onl involved as acting executive producer. Not his fault if the other Saw films are shit. Then directed the Conjuring & Insidious, other successful films that spawned sequels. Furious 7 without Paul Walker proved he can also do action flicks & still put butts on seats. He's proven himself more times than Snyder anyway.
>>
>>81144150
>Black Manta
>pirate rape
What?! I need context anon
>>
>>81143849
god yes
>>
>>81142277
James what are you doing, your area of expertise is not fun.
>>
>>81144945
While Aquaman was playing with dolphins young Manta was getting raped by pirates...that activated his max autism factor.
I love Black Manta.
>>
>>81143129
What are you talking about, they won't do that! They'll remake it! Before Watchman anon! CIVIL WAR 2 ANON!
>>
>>81143452
>film starts with a serious of cuts between Aquaman's rulership of the sea, which gets increasingly happy as he is crowned, comes into power, meets Meta, etc. and Black Manta's childhood which is just scene after scene of horrendous suffering and violence
>then the two meet and everything goes wrong
>>
>>81144150
Oh man that is fucking great! Any character who hates his enemy sooo much that his schemes to hurt him include "being autistic" is basically my favorite character.
>>
>>81142277
who cares, Momoa can't act

screencap this, its going to be a shit movie regardless

seriously, all these people related to future comic book adaptations are trying to distance themselves from BvS, so when the fuck are they just going to say Snyders gone?
>>
>>81143063
> perpetuated by people that literally have never read or been exposed to Aquaman outside of that one Family Guy sketch
>implying it wasn't through the tireless efforts of noted Superfriends historian Seanbaby

http://www.seanbaby.com/super.htm

seriously though, I do like to read through all the pages every once in awhile, some good shit there
>>
>>81144760
Insidious was really cool
>>
What part of the movie was too "dark" anyway? It seemed like pretty standard tone to me. Was it the jar of piss?
>>
>>81143063
>The stereotype of Aquaman being a joke is perpetuated by people that literally have never read or been exposed to Aquaman outside of that one Family Guy sketch.

Ehh Aquaman being lame is a very long running ingrained joke. Look at all the parodies, Mermaidman, Wet Willy, Ect.
>>
>>81143849
> literally Thor
No. Or yes. Maybe when the DCEU and MCU cross over, they'll be the best of buds.
>>
>>81142277
The amount of times the word "fun" is used in that article makes it seem it's just being tossed around as a buzzword.
>>
Seeing Black Manta on screen would give me the biggest shit eating grin. However knowing the monkey paw that is DCEU I predict theyll fuck up his iconic look because "his helmet is too weird"
>>
>>81142408
Old chum!
>>
>>81143063
Aquaman being shit on reaches as far back as 1967 with The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure and 1973 with the Super Friends show.
>>
>>81144760
FF7 wasn't very good though. Wasn't as shit as the forth movie but it wasn't great either. But that might be me seeing after Fury Road, which is a VERY hard act to follow. The first Saw was decent and the Conjuring was Meh at best. Never watched Insidious
>>
File: 20426796_p0.jpg (183 KB, 587x698) Image search: [Google]
20426796_p0.jpg
183 KB, 587x698
>>81142277
>is that it isn't any fun
>fun
Fun is subjective any person who uses that word as a criticism should be fired
>>
>>81142277
>Now, he obviously wouldn't give too much away about the plot, but it sounds like the movie will follow "The New 52" by addressing the fact that the hero has often been perceived as something of a joke
Are we getting that fucking scene? More importantly, are we getting OUTRAGEOUS
>>
>>81145531
Wasn't any darker than the average Daredevil episode to be honest. I guess the Quip Quota wasn't met.
>>
>>81145918
Oh they quiped they just sucked at it.
>>
File: the Dark Knight Rules.jpg (172 KB, 1280x528) Image search: [Google]
the Dark Knight Rules.jpg
172 KB, 1280x528
>>
>>81145665
I think Idris Elba has the screen presence to make him cool and menacing

>>81145877
>Fun is subjective

To add to that point i found BVS pretty fun. Particularly the fight with Doomsday, it was like watching a Live Action Justice League Unlimited.
>>
>>81142955
>Jeez. Did this guy fuck your prom date or something?

Snyder is garbage. If you think otherwise not only are you a moron you're a bad person.

He's like reverse-Midas: everything he touches turns to shit.
>>
>>81145531
It was the scene where Lex Luthor menacingly turned around in the mobility scooter.
>>
>>81142369
His 300 was pretty spot on. The comic was just as balls to the wall stupid as movie. The only thing it had that the movie didn't is copious amounts of wang.
>>
File: 1422794643984s.jpg (10 KB, 117x125) Image search: [Google]
1422794643984s.jpg
10 KB, 117x125
>>81143893
Throne of Atlantis triggered me forever with that shit.
>>81144125
Ocean Master pretty much solo'd the JL in the ToA comics too from what I recall.
>>
I find comfort in knowing no matter how shit the wonder woman movie will undoubtedly be, it won't fail because SJWs, feminists and emasculated cucks will herald it as the greatest movie of all time.
>>
>>81145977
Funny i didn't find BVS to be all that "Dark" at all. Funny people keep bringing up Nolan for some reason. The fact that this is a movie about Batman and Superman punching it up with Doomsday automatically disqualifies it for comparison in my eyes. I will compare the next Solo Batman movies to what Nolan did.
>>
File: 1482814782141.jpg (46 KB, 600x718) Image search: [Google]
1482814782141.jpg
46 KB, 600x718
>We won't get a dark lovecraftian Aquaman because BvS got shat on
>>
>>81145977
That was before the MCU picked up steam. A good amount of critic complaints consist of MCU comparisons.

That's why the Keaton/Nolan Batman's could get away with thing that probably couldn't fly now.
>>
>>81146102
I think we will get it, people hate BvS because it's dead boring. You can do a dark and gritty yet 'fun' movie just look at Nolan trilogy.
>>
>>81145412
>screencap this

Oh great oracle, we shall look back on this post in years and marvel over how you said "Momoa can't act".
>>
>>81146102
We probably will, it'll just have quips
If you've ever watched a James Wan horror film I think we're in for that sort of tone
>>
>>81146001
>If you think otherwise not only are you a moron you're a bad person.
If you think otherwise that means you have a differing opinion. But young kids and immature people don't understand concept like different opinions.

Also just being a "bad director" (again subjective) usually doesn't bring such strong opinions like Snyder gets. You have people like Micheal Bay and Uwe Boll who make far worse films and don't get even half the hate. It's obsessive hate too, like you can't get him off your mind at all. Like a an obsessed fangirl
>>
>>81146225
>That's why the Keaton/Nolan Batman's could get away with thing that probably couldn't fly now

Like killing for example. They did plenty of it but don't get called on it. Batfleck didn't kill anymore than any other big screen adapted Batman.
>>
File: Damage Control.jpg (77 KB, 1013x486) Image search: [Google]
Damage Control.jpg
77 KB, 1013x486
>>81142838
>>
>>81146301
thank you

now please find my "BvS will be shit, adapting DKR aspects and establishing old Bruce Wayne in your new universe is a horrible idea and now Snyder will be drunk on power with no one to reel him in since he was promoted to head of the DCCU" screencap made back in 2014
>>
>>81146225
Then why is DKR highly rated?
>>
>>81146321
Because Bay and Boll make no pretense about who they are and what they do. They acknowledge they make loud dumb movies for people who like loud dumb movies Snyder tries to pretend he has a depth that he demonstrably utterly lacks.

It's made worse because Snyder is working with such high-profile properties. His utter mediocrity and lack of talent are that much more apparent because so much focus is on him.

>It's obsessive hate too, like you can't get him off your mind at all. Like a an obsessed fangirl

His new movie came out a few days ago, so people are talking about him.

You're going to have to learn to deal with criticism of your husbando without crying.
>>
>>81146225
When in doubt Blame the MCU
>>
>>81146827
Yeah, the fanboys crying about CRITICS ARE SUCKING MARVEL'S COCK THEY ONLY LIKE FUN SHIT are morons.

BvS is getting shit on because it's shit. Movies like The Dark Knight or Batman Begins get good ratings because they're actually good; their darker tone is irrelevant.
>>
File: 1423184241024.jpg (31 KB, 328x398) Image search: [Google]
1423184241024.jpg
31 KB, 328x398
>>81146015
lel
>>
>>81142369
>But really with any luck Snyder will be killed in a car crash and we'll never have to worry about him being a retard again.

Do you drive, anon? I hope you drive.
>>
>>81146827
Because it's literally the "memeest" cape movie out there.
>>
>>81142277
>muh "fun"
Here we go again.

Not being "fun" wasn't BvS's problem. It was not being engaging. People didn't invested in the outcome because the movie doesn't make them root for either Batman or Superman.
I can't remember Supes smiling in more than one occassion, and he doubts himself to the point of nihilism; while Batman (aside from Wally at the beginning) never shows a positive emotion for anyone, not even for Alfred, and blatantly disregards human life by killing thugs whenever possible. The point of having them antagonize each other was to highlight their ideological differences, but both are growling, unempathetic, serious assholes.

You can have a superhero movie not be "fun", take itself seriously, explore deeper themes (BvS almost showed it had something interesting to say only to stop itself with a jar of Luthor piss), but you have to make the characters relatable for people to be engaged. Not being "fun" doesn't mean being negative and dark all the time. It doesn't work if there are no moments of positivity to counter that in the entire movie.

And what Hollywood will learn from BvS is not to keep people like Snyder and Goyer from ever making movies again like they should: what they'll get from this is that it's the Marvel Studios way or the highway. Capeshit will be even more homogenized and stagnate faster.

Bravo, Snyder.
>>
>>81145584
Thor is honestly what I thought of. Have Aquaman be serious and then he just seems like a second Superman in DCEU Justice league, at least this kind of personality would help him stand out, and it's not like MCU Thor is this bombastic anyway
>>
>>81147086
>Movies like The Dark Knight or Batman Begins get good ratings because they're actually good;
I love how you purposely leave out the TDKR
>>
>>81147248
What does that even mean?

Do you think respected professional critics give a shit about "memes", or even knew what that meant?

This is the problem, you think everyone is a retarded Internet teenager and so cant' imagine why they don't rate the garbage you enjoy more highly.
>>
They've cast Mamoa as the blonde white chap so the odds of a light, fun movie are pretty low. It's going to be all super serious and social justicey. I'm triggered just thinking about it.
>>
>>81147295
Most critics recognized it as the weakest of the 3, though it still had very good ratings overall.
>>
>>81147327
Actually I don't think anyone here cared about ratings so much until /tv/ over shitposted it pre/post BvS.
>>
File: _1438377376.jpg (16 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
_1438377376.jpg
16 KB, 600x400
>>81142277
>let's not forget to have fun with it.
I remember something else that was considered FUN.
>>
>>81147276
>Not being "fun" doesn't mean being negative and dark all the time. It doesn't work if there are no moments of positivity to counter that in the entire movie.

Exactly. Snyder is essentially the writers in the late 80s who tried to ape Alan Moore after Watchmen, but weren't good or smart enough to attain that level of nuance and insight, so they focused on the GRIMDARK and the BLOOD and you got the shitshow that was the early 90s at the Big 2.

Snyder is that era in human form.
>>
>>81146970
actually i blame disney. Marvel couldn't afford dick.
>>
>>81147454
Right, no one cared about critical reviews or ratings until March 2016 when mankind discovered them.
>>
>>81147531
RIP
>>
>>81142277
>"Aquaman is a character that a lot of people have made fun of over the years and I just think it's fun to actually show a really different, cool, badass side to this character, but at the same time, let's not forget to have fun with it."

The Super Friends curse will never be undone.
>>
>>81147454
Are you kidding? People have been shitting on Man of Steel for years here, and holding up the mediocre reviews as proof.
>>
>>81142955
>Watchmen
Nice meme
>>
>>81147576
Well not to point where at least every thread has an RT pic post.

You can't go to a cape thread without someone shitposting some Arrow S4/Supergirl/DD/BvS RT score to prove a point or start company wars.
>>
>>81143893
>Ocean Master fast enough to punch out the Flash
>Ocean Master strong enough to beat wondy and puncture Superman's skin
>Ocean Master able to use lightning to revert Cpt Marvel to Billy
>Able to do all of this at once

What? This is "Out molecule the molecule man" tier bullshit.
>>
>>81142277
Hell, Aquman's 8 second cameo in BvS was super fun. Shoehorned in or not, I LOVED it.
>>
File: sad hitler.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sad hitler.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
>>81147531
Me too.
>>
>>81147659
It proves the point that everything DC produces that isn't animated is garbage that only fanboys like.
>>
>people seriously think that BvS' main problem was just that it was dark
I loved MoS and it was dark. I hate BvS because it's just a poorly made film. Just look at this trailer using clips from BvS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMltUXZkPUM
It's amazing. Bruce and Clark's internal struggles are set up so perfectly. In the movie, the speech that Bruce gives in this trailer is broken up across multiple different scenes. Where we had a powerfully emotional bit which could've been used to set up Bruce Wayne's standings at the beginning of the movie, for some stupid reason Snyder throws it all over the place.

There's no problem with a dark tone. There is a problem when you fumble literally everything there is to fumble in presenting the story from a technical standpoint.
>>
>>81147619
Well I guess there was that; but it was pretty much MoS exclusive as pretty much every cape flick bar the forgotten GL movie and recent F4 have had fresh reviews and therefore unworthy of shitposting about.
>>
>>81147635
It's funny because Watchmen is his least-shitty cape movie but it's still mediocre garbage, with a 60% rating.

The best he's ever achieved is 75% with his Dawn of the Dead remake.
>>
>>81144187
He shouldn't be. I swear to god this triggers me. People seem to think Aquaman is FROM Atlantis and that the surface world is all knew to him like Wonder Woman or Thor or some shit. That's not Aquaman. He was raised with his human father. Like Superman.
>>
File: 1458394917980.png (259 KB, 752x565) Image search: [Google]
1458394917980.png
259 KB, 752x565
>>81147767
The Supergirl/Arrow S4 RT posts mainly try to delegitimize RT ratings. Like Arrow S4 has like 100% and Supergirl is 95% while being considered trash by most people.

Like I'm a DC friend and I call BS on these ratings.
>>
>>81146827
Because they had established tonal consistency that dated back to 2005. If he had done something wacky and lighthearted for his final movie, he probably would have been called out on it and criticized.
>>
>>81144187

good lord
it's too perfect for me to laugh

it's too obvious but nobody else is thinking like that

it's just tragic
>>
>>81142408
They could do that still.
>>
My older brother was telling me about meeting this guy when they came to his news station. Really quiet but pretty cool guy.
>>
>>81148047
But if Being dark is so danm hated why would that matter

Was Fant4stic hated cause it was dark too?

Was Ghost rider 2?

Why is The Wolverine highly rated it was tonally closer to BVS
>>
File: tiiii.gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
tiiii.gif
133 KB, 311x366
>>81147995
>>
>>81148152
>But if Being dark is so danm hated why would that matter

Because it's not "being dark" that's hated, it's the context.

As anon said, Nolan had established a darker, more realistic tone for Batman with Begins, one that was different than earlier movies but still consistent with the character of Batman who has always been a darker character, or at least who always had a strain of darkness.

I think what's bothering people is that the dark tone really doesn't work with Superman, and that was a complaint about Man of Steel as well. It doesn't fit well. BvS doubled down on that and made it worse.
>>
>>81146285
>"it's too boring"
>"there's too much going on I can't accompany it"
Can you guys criticizing the movie at least try to agree?
>>
>>81148300
I agree but hes making it sound like marvel has such a stranglehold that this movie is getting blasted simply for being dark and not the other hundred reasons
>>
>>81148337
They're not mutually exclusive.

It's both boring and trying to do too much. It fails on multiple fronts.

That's the thing about BvS, it's an infinitely deep pool of shit. It's bad in so many ways everyone can find a reason to dislike it.
>>
>>81148787
But many bad reviews are contradicting themselves we have a "it's boring, nothing happens" and "it's convoluted too many things happening".
>>
>>81146967

>Because Bay and Boll make no pretense about who they are and what they do.

This is such bullshit. Both these hacks get shitloads of fucking hate but not as much as Snyder does. I think it's because Transformers and VG fans are a bit lest autistic than neckbeards

>You're going to have to learn to deal with criticism of your husbando without crying.

It's funny how emotional you autistic fanboys get when someone disagrees with you about this director. It's fascinating to me.
>>
>>81149102
>Shaking with rage about "autistic neckbeards" because people don't like his husbando
>It's funny how emotional other people get
>>
>>81147416
>Most critics
Funny how people here hold Nolan films and what "most critics" have to say about them in such high regard "all of a sudden". Before people here were shitting on his movies for "not muh Batman" and "not muh joker" and calling Ledger overrated and people only liked it because he's dead.

Now all of a sudden you all love them, again. ALL OF A SUDDEN. Can't you neckbeards be even a bit consistent?
>>
>>81147878
>with a 60% rating
Can you fags form any opinions of your own? You're worst than console warriors when it comes to "metacritic".
>>
>>81142277
Honestly, I was most excited for Aquaman after seeing BvS (although I hated the movie).
>Aquaman shoots through the water at faster than the speed of sound
Holy shit this movie will be top tier
>>
>>81149232
>Can't you people stop with your evidence that this director makes movies that are widely disliked and critically flawed?
>>
>>81149195
>"shaking with rage at anyone who dares like this movie i didn't like"
>posting in all the stickies about how much i hate it and Snyder

Fascinating
>>
>>81149250

I wonder how much of a grip they have on Aquaman/Flashs abilities since they will be on screen with justice league.
>>
>>81149262
>people's opinions
>evidence
You're literally a retard
>>
>>81149276
>S...s...stop being mean to Snyder!
>Stop discussing this movie and its director in threads about them!

Dry those tears, anon. It will be okay.
>>
>>81142277

>The biggest criticism levelled at BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE - fair or not - is that it isn't any fun.

Nigger fucking what.
First I got some edgelord Batman straight up murdering nameless goons. Then Batman and Superman duking it out and afterwards I got WW, Batman, and Superman against fucking Doomsday to the rad tune of an electric guitar.
Say what you will about the movie but I hadn't had this much fun in a superhero movie since the first Avengers film
>>
>>81149305
>Evidence that a wide variety of people dislike this movie
>NUH UH MUH PERSONAL OPINION

You're free to like what you like, but don't pretend that the movie isn't widely held to be garbage.
>>
File: 1436686994667.gif (688 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
1436686994667.gif
688 KB, 500x337
>>81149102
>Both these hacks get shitloads of fucking hate but not as much as Snyder does.

HA

> I think it's because Transformers and VG fans are a bit lest autistic than neckbeards

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH OH MY GOD HAHAHA!
>>
>>81142277
i want manta to shoot aqua baby in the face or this movie will suck ass
>>
>>81142277
>MCasUals have forced all capeshit movie creative teams to constantly assure them their movies will be "fun", otherwise they will be horrible triggered
Fuck off, you fucking fucks.
>>
>>81145900
>More importantly, are we getting OUTRAGEOUS
I think a humorous nod would be if he said it, completely nonchalantly, in Justice League.
>>
>>81142305

But that sounds hilarious
>>
>>81142277

So when does this start filming? BvS is going to make enough so they wont stop and that's all I care about
>>
>>81147777
I think everyone noticed BvS problems except blind fanboy and Snyder himself. Hell, even the cast themselves knows it, they just can't admitted it out loud because the business kinda thing.
>>
>>81142277
OUTRAGEOUS
>>
>>81148337
I don't want to write an essay to explain how poorly made this film was, it's a very long list of note and it's not like you gonna read it since you're just one of those fanboy with fanboy blindness.
>>
>>81143452
>TRAITOROUS BROTHER

Who can play Momoa's brother? Dude's pretty unique-looking.
>>
Aquaman is not cool. And it's not because of his garish orange shirt, or that he can communicate with fish. It's not even that there's an earlier and very similar but far better character from Marvel comics.

It's his terrible name. Aquaman does not sound cool. It sounds dorky and lame. Ocean Master sounds cool. Just switch their names around, or rename Orm to something else and let the real master of the oceans have the cool name.
>>
>>81150969
This faggot that everybody already hates.
>>
>>81151009

Nah Aquaman sounds dope my nigga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnde3_cR09k
>>
>>81147588
Does every DC hero have a curse they have to overcome?
>>
>>81151336
Zach Snyder
>>
>>81151336
For Batman, it was the 1966 TV series. That cast a long, long shadow over the character in the public's mind that's only really been done away with in the last decade with Nolan's films + the Arkham Asylum games.

Superman is still under the shadow of the 1978 film, though I personally think thats a good thing.
>>
>>81150969
It's not that Orm and Arhur are looking alike in comics, either.
>>
Imagine what could have been.
>>
>>81142277
Jesus Christ just recast a handsome straight-laced but funny white guy as Aquaman and make Mamoa into Black Manta. This is going to be a bigger nightmare than Green Lantern with the way it's going.

That's right fuckers, I went there.
>>
>>81151441
>For Batman, it was the 1966 TV series.
I always thought that Batman & Robin was the curse.
>>
>>81151566
Nope, that was a symptom.

You should read up on the 66 series. It was unbelievably popular. It's why every article in mainstream news always has ZAP POW BAM in the title.

Batman & Robin was a symptom of that. 1989 Batman was huge too and for a while the darkness and seriousness were back a little, but you could see the 90s Bat-movies sliding more and more back into the 1966 "goofy Batman" mode until you got Batman & Robin.

That killed the franchise until Nolan was able to revive it by completely severing ties with everything that came before movie-wise. Even 1989 Batman had a good dose of the 1966 goofiness which Nolan completely removed.
>>
Goofy Brave and thw Bold Aquaman is my favorite Aquaman.

Momoa can't act but he does have a goofy sense of humor that makes him likable. It's why he's a fave at GoT fan events. Going with him being silly could work but it'll be hard to do.
>>
I think the problem with serious movies and the audience (as someone who hasn't seen BvS yet) is that people who want 'fun' want HERP DERP in your face humour. Imo they can and should go with subtle humour or dark humour. I'm honestly fine with srs take on movies
>>
>>81151990
For BVS, I have a problem with it's pacing and editing not it dark and gritty tone. Also, too much religion reference.
>>
>>81151990

I like BvS but it has some pretty bad scripting and severe editing issues. The editing is really jarring to most people it seems.
>>
>>81149203
/co/ is not one person, please calm your tits
>>
>>81145531
That was such a good fucking scene.
>>
>>81152253
>>81152165
Yeah, I too have heard these criticisms. But I was thinking more about the the HURR NO FUN ALLOWED aspect that people say about DC's more serious take on the superheroes.
>>
>>81147667
Ocean Master able to punk WW and hurt Superman is fine.

I take it up to Flash not going FULL SPEED all the time though.
>>
File: 1178858165698.gif (779 KB, 227x170) Image search: [Google]
1178858165698.gif
779 KB, 227x170
>>81152314
> Lex is so petty as to make a poor woman his piss before killing her and everyone in the building
> The crowd in my theatre and my own reaction to the slow realization is a mix of disgust and "absolute madman"
Holy fuck that was the best part of the movie.
>>
>>81144001
You mean Parademons Batman can punch to death?
>>
>>81152426

> The crowd in my theatre and my own reaction to the slow realization is a mix of disgust and "absolute madman"

Glad someone enjoyed it.

I feel like I'm gonna hate this movie, which sucks, because I loved Man of Steel.

It's funny though, now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever been to a superhero movie that the audience didn't mostly have a similar reaction. Clapping/cheers for TASM1, MoS, both Cap Films, The Avengers, etc. Only thing I can remember being "whatever" was Days of Future Past and Wolverine.
>>
>>81152361

Suicide Squad is supposedly going that route, which is good since comic book movies really do need the variety and the darker humour is something the marvel movies haven't really tapped into yet.
>>
File: 1430772045994.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1430772045994.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>81143849

>Making him bad ass is just gonna look desperate to casuals. Outrageous Aquaman would be a fan favorite.

This is what I'm worried about.

If they want one scene to sell him as being a badass, they just need to have him playing and having fun/laughing with some monstrous sea creature, maybe their version of Topo or something.

I mean there's plenty of horrific fucking things in the Ocean that are actually real too, they should probably keep a very small amount of them fictional to drive the point home "hey a lot of this freaky shit is out there"
>>
>>81152426

My theater also had good reactions to Lex's dickery in BvS.

The scene where he starts flipping the pictures of Ma Kent at Clark got a ton of response from the audience, too.
>>
>>81152450
Everyone I went with really liked it. And I liked it more than MoS and I genuinely liked that too. It's nowhere near as bad as people say it is, don't believe the shitposts.
>>
If I met Aquaman in real life, I'm sure we'd get along swimmingly
>>
>>81152565

It's not the shitposts, I know people are just being obnoxious faggots. They did it with other movies I liked too that weren't even critically blasted.

It's more just that I know there will be parts I like and then a lot of parts I hate based on spoilers. I know you need to experience it by watching first to really get a good grip on it, but I was never a fan of TDKR or Eisenberg as Lex.
>>
>>81152452
Nice. Hopefully they do that well
>>
>>81150264
has to be some time this year/into next year since it comes out in 2018
>>
James is number Wan for helping people stop bullying Aquaman!
>>
File: image.png (532 KB, 609x460) Image search: [Google]
image.png
532 KB, 609x460
>tfw we can't have Charlton Heston as Aquaman
>>
>>81152709

It is coming out in the latter half of 2018 but since DC doesn't have such a well oiled machine like Marvel does I think they'll probably start pre-production later this year and start filming in the 2017 before the press tour commitments for JL start for amber heard and mamoa. That said, the flash comes out in the first half of 2018 so I wonder how soon after ezra is done with his JL stuff will he start filming the flash movie. The more I think about it the more I realise how crazy of a commitment these movies are, they've gone from post production on BvS into SS into WW and are 2 weeks from JL then flash and aquaman.

I guess that all kind of assumes there's no interruption to the 2018 schedule as well though.
>>
File: 1371412474846.png (1 MB, 1243x1000) Image search: [Google]
1371412474846.png
1 MB, 1243x1000
>>81152756

>Can't have Ryan Gosling as both Barry Allen and Aquaman
>>
>>81152851
>tfw Amber will go red for Mera
hope lives on
>>
>>81152851
They haven't even announced a director or writer for The Flash film yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up getting delayed. Maybe they'll fast track the solo Batman film for a 2018 release instead.
>>
>>81152486
I'unno, having Aquaman just constantly fucking up Kaiju would be really cool.
>>
>>81152913

Those are reserved for the end fight scenes when all the other shit has already been freaky in small doses
>>
>>81152913
If it was up to me, his comic would have bunch of cutesy scenes with him and Mera and fighting big monsters. That magma god from issue where he found Aquamom was pure sex.
>>
>>81152901

both movies have a director and writers
>>
>>81143452
>2016
>The bad guy is a dindu
>>
>>81146102
You were not getting that anyway.
>>
>>81147899
>Like Superman

Oh, boy!

>STOP, AMPHIBIOUS SON
>>
>>81142277
>>The biggest criticism levelled at BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE - fair or not - is that it isn't any fun

It's true though. BvS was fucking bleak and dreary.
>>
>>81153183
Wasn't Arthur's dad killed because of STOP, AMPHIBIOUS SON in New 52?
>>
>>81153199
yep
and that's why the FF reboot sucked so much too
>>
>>81152901
"The Flash" is written and directed by Seth Grahame-Smith.
>>
>>81142277
I'm guessing people only read the headline. He says that even his darker horror films (Saw, Insidious and Conjuring) are still fun. He is NOT saying 'Dolphins, useless lol!'
>>
>>81153371
Dolphins are evil motherfuckers, though.
>>
>>81153199
I swear to god, people take the wrong lesson from the Nolanbats movies. Because for Batman, a dark tone IS fun, as it allows you delve into the sick, twisted aspects of the enemies he fights and the world he inhabits when you do something like F4 with an attempt to be dark, as >>81153245 said, you are imposing something on the narrative that forces you to sacrifice its soul in some ways. For instance, no Fantasticar in the new movie, no blue suits, no Doctor Doom in regal green robes, no, we get a suit-fused kid Doom from the Negative Zone with nebulous motivations. I'm not saying you can't have dark, disturbing things in a F4 movie, especially if you did Annihilus, or a more Old Man Logan version of the Moloids, but the team themselves don't fit that aesthetic.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 375x374) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 375x374
>>81142305
I would watch that.
>>
>>81147276
>BvS almost showed it had something interesting to say only to stop itself with a jar of Luthor piss),
Literally this

It's not even the piss itself it's that after that scene, it stops being a movie about the world follow-up to MoS, something that was a really interesting angle to take for a film and goes "oh yeah, this isn't MoS2, it's BvS, so let's get rid of all that for fight fight fight and JL Part 0"
>>
>>81150969
Dwayne Johnson. Maybe Maori guy who plays django fett and the clones. Perhaps oded fehr
>>
>>81153402
I think this is exactly right.
>>
>>81153987
Isn't Dwayne Johnson playing Black Adam?
>>
>>81142408
Bless you, anon.
>>
File: 1437273299598.jpg (19 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1437273299598.jpg
19 KB, 499x499
>>81142305
>>
File: 1327016673528.jpg (52 KB, 428x489) Image search: [Google]
1327016673528.jpg
52 KB, 428x489
>>81153402
upvoted
>>
The worst thing DC can do is turn Orm into Loki
>>
>>81143452
Black Manta's so fucking great.
>>
>>81158560
Black Manta is criminally underrated and WB should wise up and use him sooner rather than later.
>>
>>81142305
I actually lol'd irl.
>>
>>81152913
DC already have crossover with IDW
>Aquaman vs Godzilla
Now that'll be cool.
>>
>>81142305
>I called that adventure "Crime DOES prey"!
>>
>>81147683
It was great. I didn't expect him to literally be the superman of the sea.
>>
>>81142383
>Marvel
>Fun
You try to say marvel studios because Marvel definition is "Le ebin trolling white male may may xdxdxd"
>>
>>81145412
>Momoa can't act
So momoa will be the new contrarian good like Roman reign and Man of Steel
>>
BREAKING NEWS: The vast majority of consumers don't care about quality and only want to be mindlessly entertained for 90 minutes at a time.

This isn't news
>>
>>81161833
That's basically what he is, earths strongest natural life form. Traveling the globe isn't really an issue for Aquaman. I'm curious as to what sea monsters they'll use
>>
>>81142277
>Jason Momoa as aquaman
>Wan wants SAW style edgy badassness for aquaman

This movie is gonna suck.
>>
>>81162669
Furious 7 was badass and fun. Chill your tits
>>
Aquamans cameo was my favorite, it was like watching those mysterious undersea videos of spooky aminalz
>>
>>81142305
Ok Namor
>>
>>81150001
More like WB failed to make them dark but captivating, ruining it for everybody else.
>>
>>81162669
The Saw film that Wan directed really wasn't all that edgy.
>>
>>81162669
The first Saw, the only one Wan directed, was a pretty good psychological thriller centered on the question of being able to harm yourself vs allowing someone to hurt your family.

All the other Saws were stupid "WHAT IF YOU HAD TO CUT YOUR EYE OUT OR DIE" piles of shit.
>>
File: 1454975491518.jpg (82 KB, 636x397) Image search: [Google]
1454975491518.jpg
82 KB, 636x397
>>81162756
> His eyes glowing in the darkness of the crevice
That spooked me real good.
>>
>>81162669

He made furious 7 and the conjuring, he knows dumb fun and can create a distinct style and atmosphere without being forced or tryhard. The director is honestly the least of your troubles and Aquaman has a good mythos/setting. I'm sure Atlantis will at least look good unlike Krypton
>>
>>81162773
This.
People are using the wrong word when they say "fun" and its becoming amongst shills. What reviewers should be saying is its not entertaining or captivating.
>>
Alright here's the thing.
How should Aquaman move underwater? Should he move slowly or should he be a natural and move quickly?
Because if we can't decide this soon we're gonna get a shit load of
>"Why does Superman fight like he's in Dragonball Z?"
>>
>>81162756
I haven't seen BvS yet and that honestly looks cool, slight hype
>>
>>81162756
Looks like he's holding his breath.
>>
>>81163055
>>81163003
>>81162869

The Flash one was neat too, im not that worried about Ezra amymore

Idk if you eant me to post thst
>>
>>81156330
I don't think it's set in stone but meme magic will probably make DC do it like Fox letting Reynolds play Deadpool again
>>
>>81163121
Who /hype/
>>
>>81162970
Like in comic. Flying underwater.
>>
>>81162970
>How should Aquaman move underwater?
He swims faster than the speed of sound nigga
Like a torpedo. Didn't you watch BvS?
Also
>"Why does Superman fight like he's in Dragonball Z?"
That's how he's supposed to fight. Goku is literally Japanese Superman.
>>
>>81162712
>>81162918
>furious 7 was fun XD
it was transformers except without robots

> I'm sure Atlantis will at least look good unlike Krypton
i dunno man, seeing those ocean effects on the big screen during BvS didn't get my hopes up
arthur kind of looking like an anglerfish when he came out of a trench was cool though
>>
>>81162970
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at, do you mean consistency? The sonic boom/torpedo speed seems fine.
>>
File: cenashazam.jpg (76 KB, 642x705) Image search: [Google]
cenashazam.jpg
76 KB, 642x705
>>81163121
>>81163169
Cena as Shazam can work for meme magic.
>>
>>81163169
I am, provided it ever happens now. Personally I'd love to see Adam go a few rounds with Superman too. Just grab him by the throat and SHAZAM!
>>
>>81163092
That's still Aquaman, right? It looks like someone's seeing him through a shattered car glass
>>
>>81145865
You just hate things and are a negative person. That's okay.
>>
>>81163418
Yeah

Its supposed to be a ship wreckage
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>81163320
Billy's New God design ain't half bad. Though I miss the shoulder cape, the hood is fine (just not for Adam)
>>
>>81142408

>WELL AHOY WELL AHOY WELL AHOY MY FRIENDS
>>
>>81143452
>Black Manta
>is black

Bravo, DC
>>
>>81145333
But he literally provided examples of them doing that you fucking moron
>>
File: aquamancthuhlu.jpg (199 KB, 800x675) Image search: [Google]
aquamancthuhlu.jpg
199 KB, 800x675
OUTRAGEOUS!
>>
>>81163507
Cthulu is not a fish, though. He's not even of this dimension.
>>
>It's Aquaman at the UN
>"I'm sure we can reach an understanding so Atlantis can live with us peacefully"
>"No, YOURE going to learn how to live with us. Or do you suddenly own the sea now?"
>>
>>81142277
But will it be 'Blunder of the century' fun like BvS has been this whole week?
>>
>>81163680
Is he gonna go shirtless in front of the UN too?
>>
>>81163249
>it was transformers except without robots

Yes and?
>>
>>81163249
>it was transformers except without robots

You're honestly jaded if you can't see past that. I mean I'm not gonna sit here and debate fucking furious 7 of all things nor did I pay to see it, but in every second of over the top action/lines I got the feeling the guys behind the camera were just laughing their ass off, it never felt "transformers souless". But then again I've only seen the 4th one and that shit was cancerous. For fuck's sake, The Rock flexes his arm and destroys his cast to join the final fight, you can't tell me they shot that scene with a straight face. The only cringe parts were Vin Diesel who seems like the only one in the whole production that thinks he's in a serious movie, but then again this is just my perception and the movie didn't affect me in the least.

Regarding Atlantis and underwater scenes, I kind of share your concern. But at the same time they're breaking new grounds visually ( how often do you see underwater cities in films? ) so here's hoping they'll pull it off
>>
>>81163602
Aquaman took out a martian using his telepathy to induce a seizure. He doesn't give a fuck.
>>
>>81163734
There seemed to be some armour in the costume workshop pic
>>
>>81163734
Royal garb and all. It's amazing with what you get away these days.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.