[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the GOAT?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4
Is he the GOAT?
>>
>>82016031

Best Cape writter.

But the world of comics is HUGE and goes beyond capes.
>>
It's so hard to rate creators objectively, so I don't even bother trying.

Subjectively though, he's not even in my Top Ten.

I'd much rather read a comic from, say, Kyle Baker, Alison Bechdel, Chester Brown, Emily Carroll, Paul Chadwick, Rosalind Chast (Roz), Dan Clowes, Michael Deforge, Guy Delisle, Will Eisner, Jean Giraud (Moebius), Brandon Graham, Gilbert Hernandez (Beto), Jaime Hernandez (Xaime), Marc-Antoine Mathieu, David Mazzucchelli, John Ostrander (The Ostmeister), Harvey Pekar, Joe Sacco, John Arne Sæteroy (Jason), Joann Sfar, Dash Shaw, Dave Sim, Lewis Trondheim, Chris Ware, Jim Woodring or even Alan Moore than one from him.
>>
>>82016031
he's the shittiest Batman writer of the last 15 years

Love his Superman though
>>
>>82016031
If Morrison is GOAT in your opinion, I respect that.
My personal favorite is Ennis, but that's just me.
>>
can't stand his dialogue, so no
>>
>>82016031
Has Mark Millar licked him?
>>
>Anybody not named Eisner, Kirby or Moore
>GOAT
>>
Greatest cape writer of our era for sure.
>>
>>82016995
Is this feud actually a real thing? Is Morrison jealous of Millar's success in having his work optioned?
>>
>>82016501

My thoughts exactly, yeah.

I can't think of anyone who's written more GREAT superhero comics than Morrison, but I don't know if I can really hold him above, say, Chris Ware or Jaime Hernandez, or late-career Eisner. If we bring manga into play, Naoki Urasawa.
>>
>>82017105
Millar hasn't said anything about it that I know of, so maybe it's just Morrison talking shit?
>>
>>82017105
I've seen Morrison share all sorts of venomous bile about Millar, but I've never seen Millar say anything bad about Morrison.

Morrison seems like a more bitter person than /co/ gives him credit for. He's still nursing grudges against Millar, Moore, Ware, Groth, Jemas, who else am I forgetting?
>>
>>82017167
>>82017228
But why? Red Son? Hollywood? Or just a bitter Scottish cunt?
>>
>>82017228
Who doesn't hate Millar though.
>>
>>82017315
Morrison is trying to get some of his comics adapted into movies (most notably We3), but nothing has happened yet.

The Morrison Equation: His Attempts + His Failure = His Sadness; His Sadness + Time = His Bitterness Against Anyone w/Success
>>
>>82017315
What happened with Red Son anyways?
>>
>>82017315
From what I've heard, Millar publicly took credit for a few issues of Authority which Morrison ghost-wrote for him when Millar was sick.
>>
>>82017167
>>82017228

Millar can't say anything about Morrison because he has nothing to say.

He legitimately stabbed the guy in the back after he brought him into mainstream comics and ghostwrote his shit for him. What is he supposed to say? "That didn't happen." Everyone in the industry knows what happened. Millar didn't move himself to the US and introduce himself to to the DC and Wildstorm people. He has never denied that Morrison ghostwrote the final arc of his Authority run for him because he was sick. He doesn't respond because he has no response.
>>
>>82017450
>Who doesn't hate Millar though.
Anybody who reads his current output.

Nemesis was 6 years ago. The Unfunnies was 9 years ago. Trouble was 12 years ago. That stuff you still hate him for? Years ago.

His current output is much better.
>>
>>82017486
Basically Morrison gave Millar all the good ideas he ever 'had' like the ending of Red Son and much of Authority and Ultimates. Millar manages to use this success to sell out like fucking crazy and carve a path into multiple blockbusters and never gave Morrison any credit for the help or, presumably, any recommendations in Hollywood
>>
>>82017555
Isn't that the point of ghost writing though?
>>
>>82017555

It was that Morrison didn't DENY that he ghostwrote for Millar when Millar was sick.

Everyone knew Morrison completed Millar's Authority run, it's obvious just by reading it. Millar was mad because he wanted Morrison to deny it.
>>
>>82017623
And is this just rumors, or did one of them come out and say something?
>>
>>82017584
What has he done recently?
>>
>>82017690
Morrison has said some stuff in interviews but nothing concrete. Just talked about how much he helped Millar and how Millar returned the favor by "destroying my faith in human fucking nature"
>>
>>82017584
Most of his current output is just okay. Nowhere near the top and nothing I'd spend money on.
It's his movie influence to the medium that people hate.
>>
>>82017770
So it's part slight on Millar's part, and part Morrison being a bitter cunt?
That's how it seems to me anyways, but w/e.
>>
>>82017700
Starlight, Huck, MPH, y'know, simple comics that don't hurt anyone's feelings and serve as showcases for talented artists showing off their skills.
>>
>>82017690
From an interview Morrison did with Rolling Stones:

Do you still hang out with your former protégé Mark Millar at all?
No.

Is that an estranged situation?
It's a can of worms. I met Mark when he was 18, and I really got on with him, because he laughed at all my jokes. He has the same sense of humor as me, he's very dark, and has that sense of humor, so we bonded. I used to phone him every day, and we ended up doing some work together on2000 AD, which went well. It was funny stuff, we'd meet in the pub and get drunk and do thisBig Davestrip, which was a comedy strip, and obviously, he was trying to get into American comics, so I got him on inSwamp Thing, and they asked me to write the book but I said, "Let's get Mark in, let's give him a job," so I consulted with him on the stories, and so on through the Nineties.

When he got theAuthoritybook, his star started to rise, and at that point, he felt he was in my shadow and he had to get out, and the way to get out was to do this fairly uncool split. It was quite hard, I felt, but he had to make his own way, and he was in denial that I'd been there, because I saw a lot of his work had been plotted or devised, even dialogue suggestions were done by me right up until the point ofThe Ultimates. It was seen by him as a dimunition of his position, even though it wasn't, I was quite proud of him as a mentor. He's done well without me, he has his own style, he does his own stuff. It was kind of that archetype, you get caught up in that story.

You came out and acknowledged this, but that was after the estrangement?
Yeah. Before that, everyone in the business knew that I was working with him, it was obvious, I was 10 years older, I was already successful. His star rose, and that history became sidelined.

He still lives in Glasgow, is there a chance of bumping into him?
There's a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I'm going 100 miles an hour when it happens.
>>
>>82017690

Some stuff is rumors, some is confirmed. This is true >>82017658

It is true that Millar would be nothing if it wasn't for Morrison. Morrison saw a younger fellow Glasglow nut that wanted to get into comics so he introduced him people at DC and Wildstorm and out him on his backups and taught him how to write. It is also likely that he ghostwrote a lot of Millar early DC work.
>>
File: 1340929227145.jpg (580 KB, 1153x823) Image search: [Google]
1340929227145.jpg
580 KB, 1153x823
>>82017623
>Morrison gave Millar all the good ideas he ever 'had' like the ending of Red Son and much of Authority and Ultimates
Come on man, except for Red Son's ending which Morrison did talk about in an interview, the rest is just rumors all the way down.
>>
>>82017952

Morrison ghostwriting the end of The Authority is not a rumor
>>
>>82017803
>It's his movie influence to the medium that people hate.
Morrison is trying to break into the movie biz with transparent pitch comics (like Joe or Happy or DvA) too, but nobody hates on him for that.

/co/ hates Millar because of memes, not because of what he actually does.
>>
>>82017658
Oh yeah, there's that one too. But it was one issue.
>>
>>82018017
Baby out the window
Booby trapped uterus preventing abortion of forced incest rape baby
This is my face while I fuck you in the ass

There are some pretty good reasons to hate Millar my man
>>
>>82018017
Unfunnies is enough of a reason
>>
>>82018309
>Baby out the window
Say what now? I think I missed that one.
>>
>>82018309
>>82018344
Exactly, memes. It doesn't matter what he does with his life now in the present day. He will always be hated on /co/ for comics that he wrote years (and even decades) ago.

Nice job demonstrating my point.

And don't forget, you were warned in advance that those were comics which you wouldn't enjoy. Those threads were called "Storytime of Pain" for a reason. It was your own choice to go in and read, not something he forced upon you.

You have nobody to blame but yourself.
>>
>>82018369
He wanted to establish how eeeevil Ultimate Red Skull was so he had an anecdote with no connection to the story where Red Skull and his cronies gang raped a woman and threw her baby out the window.
Oh! I almost forgot about evil dick! Man who can forget Kick Ass 2.
God. Fuck Mark Millar. I mean people are calling Morrison bitter but if my self described pupil started churning out shit like that AND made more money than me with it then I'd be more bitter than words could describe.
>>
>>82018309
I mean, that's kinda edgy, but not necessarily bad.
>>
>>82018549
What? Are you defending his shit writing on the basis that we all should have known it was shit? Well no shit.
The man who writes shit of that caliber shouldn't HAVE a future in comics period so no, I don't care what he's up to these days.
>>
>>82018549
How else am I supposed to judge a writer besides the works he's written? I don't care if he's a "nice guy" or whatever
>>
>>82018694
Millar go away.
>>
>>82018721
>I don't care what he's up to these days.
I know, that's your problem.

You are so dedicated to your memes that nothing else he ever does will ever matter.

>>82018723
Why don't you judge current him by his current works?

Do you not believe that people can change?
>>
>>82018631

After they told her that they would let her and the baby go if she stabbed her husband to death with a pair of scissors.
>>
>>82018815
I read Old Man Logan just the other day. It was alright for being Unforgiven in Mad Max world with edgy Marvel characters sprinkled throughout. Millars wrote some alright stuff (I actually really like Red Sun and think its an excellent jumping in point for Superman) but on the whole he's pretty meh
>>
>>82017167

>Millar hasn't said anything about it that I know of

Unless you go by the theory that The Unfunnies was supposed to be some kind of piss take against Morrison.
>>
>>82019049
>but on the whole he's pretty meh
I do not disagree.

That's why I think that the people actually _hating_ him are just taking their comics too seriously. He has highs and lows and middles, just like everybody else.
>>
Everyone in the industry hates Millar. He's a back stabbing opportunistic douche. Plus he has literally no respect for the medium and just uses comics as scripts to pitch his shitty Hollywood edgelord movies. He grinds Ultimates to a halt for two full pages so the Avengers can talk about what actors should play them in a movie for fuck's sake.
>>
>>82020690
>Everyone in the industry hates Millar.
Post a source, please.
>>
>>82020836

How do you suggest? It's just industry buzz. No one's gonna put it in print because he's a big deal but it's pretty much an open secret. You certainly won't find anyone in the industry speaking positively about him other than maybe Ellis whose a professional Nice Guy that loves everyone in comics.
>>
>>82021148
Post evidence, please.

Or is this all just based on your gut feelings?
>>
>>82020690
>He grinds Ultimates to a halt for two full pages so the Avengers
It was downtime banter that caused the first Hulk rampage, hardly grinding anything to a halt
>>
>>82017455
but he already got one of his comics adapted into a movie. the invisibles. they just renamed it the matrix and added robots
>>
>>82021212

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mark+millar+hate
>>
>>82021317
I don't see opinions from the industry. I see discussions on non-industry forums from non-industry persons like yourself.

What do you see that's different?
>>
>>82021283
I feel like this is an opinion primarily held by people who haven't read the Invisibles and/or haven't seen the Matrix.
>>
>>82021726
Ive done both. And the similarities are pretty glaring man. Hell even Morrison acknowledge it.
>>
>>82021726
the wachowskis had their visual design team literally read the invisibles for ideas according to morrison
>>
>>82022064
>Hell even Morrison acknowledge it.
>>82022223
>according to morrison
Yawn.
>>
>>82022298
Hey if you want to ignore all the similarities and say something as pathetic as 'yawn' as your reply (wow you must be so over it huh) feel free. Don't make us any less correct.
>>
File: grant.jpg (210 KB, 564x626) Image search: [Google]
grant.jpg
210 KB, 564x626
someone post the story about him having sex with the dc universe

I lost it and it's wonderful
>>
File: DEXATI20160419215345.png (506 KB, 479x684) Image search: [Google]
DEXATI20160419215345.png
506 KB, 479x684
>>82016031
Yeah
>>
>>82020690
>Everyone in the industry hates Millar
Except the artists who work with him because he pays them very well and they get 50% of royalties from any adaptation. So he gets Quietly, Capullo, Albuquerque, Murphy, Parlov, Fegredo, etc
>>
>>82018815
because his current works are boring. They aren't as good as Red Son or authority and they're not as hilariously awful as unfunnies
>>
>>82017315

I think it's the negativity of Millar's work. Morrison adores the medium and it's silliness. Millar mourns it.
>>
>>82023709
I need this
>>
>>82017127
You've made me want a Morrison and Urasawa collaboration. You monster.
>>
>>82025129
>Morrison adores the medium and it's silliness
Boy, won't you feel silly when you eventually discover that there's more to this medium than only two publishers and one genre.
>>
>>82029576
What does your reply have to do with what he said
>>
>>82022298
dude, people within the production team of the matrix have confirmed the invisibles connection, no one is bullshitting you, the wachowski's have always been avid comic fans themselves it all adds up
>>
>>82018980
>>82018631
>no connection to the story

are you fucking serious
i swear /co/, sometimes you guys are just so oblivious
>>
>>82018309
Don't forget his WW idea.
>>
>>82016031
Yes?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.