[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The /co/ DC Dillemma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Deadshot.jpg (29 KB, 317x315) Image search: [Google]
Deadshot.jpg
29 KB, 317x315
DC Movies are kind of like the annual Groundhog Day of pop culture, if the movie is good (The Dark Knight) we can expect an early influx of elitism, brand smothering & spamming of everything and anything DC. If the movie flops (everything else) we can expect six more months of people shitting on everything Marvel in an attempt to compensate for their bitterness. It's really a no win for civil harmony either way.

I don't want DC fans to have to suffer like this, but what other choice is there? They deserve to have good things too, and while I secretly wanted BvS to be "meh" to avoid the Dark Knight steam roller effect on /co/, this is really too cruel. Why can't fans of the big two both have nice things?

So expect tons of threads shitting on Age of Ultron as the easiest target and whipping boy of the Marvel brand. Instead of constant threads trying to justify MOS we'll now have even more threads trying to justify BvS... It... It just doesn't stop.

Janitors and Mods if this thread is too toxic do what you must, but I honestly feel this is becoming an increasingly worrisome problem as the DC brand struggles more and more while the Marvel brand enjoys one comfy success after another.
>>
Things only really went bad after the Dark Knight. It created a huge surge of confidence in the DC brand and emboldened a fanbase along with prompting a massive influx of new fans into comic books who jumped onto the DC bandwagon with the same mindset one might have choosing a video game console. It was huge surge, a momentum of positive things that all seemed to be happening at once for DC; what with the Arkham video games the Nu52 in comics and upcoming Jonah Hex & Green Lantern movies. It was a bubble that was doomed to burst and as one negative thing after another beset freshly invigorated fanbase, newfound pride quickly turned to bitterness and shitposting on /co/ subsequently went fucking hog wild. The mixed reception to the Nu52, the trainwreck that was Jonah Hex and Green Lantern, the lukewarm feelings towards the Dark Knight Rises, DC Nation being snuffed out on Cartoon Network, Man of Steel... it's been nothing but one disappointment after another for them.

My hope is that this unfortunate turn of events with BvS will cull the numbers down enough to where the DC fanbase can reach stable levels and preference in comic book companies can once again return to a personal preference rather than an "us vs them" mentality.
>>
>>81054711
HOL UP!
>>
>>81054711
We gettin Jiggy with it.
>>
>>81054711
Most DC fans here aren't rabid company war fags. I'd blame /tv/ and shit.

But problem is you can never tell if someone is trolling, false flagging or both with Snyder's films.
>>
>>81055905
I blame /v/ for the initial influx of shitposters following the Dark Knight and now-a-days it seems to be /tv/ that is the largest contributors of trolls and consolewar faggotry.

While it may seem childish to look for an outside source to blame for the way things are I can't help but remember just how much more civil pre-2008 /co/ was.
>>
>>81055905
The vocal minority unfortunately always seems to set the tone.

Then you have the allegations of companies paying people to spread brand mentality across social media sites. Which sounds ridiculous but over the last few years more and more corroborating evidence has been found to support it. So really it's hard to know just how much damage sub-contracted shills hired by Disney, Warner Bros, Sony or Fox might have done to places like /co/ over the course of nearly a decade.
>>
>>81056051
>The vocal minority unfortunately always seems to set the tone.
Squeaky wheel.
>>
>>81055696
>>81055963
When TDK came out and people were saying it made Spider-Man 3 look like shit, they weren't knocking Marvel, they were just knocking the film itself.

The company wars really began with MCU vs Nolan.
>>
>>81056082
Also holy shit Spider-Man 3 came out in 2007. Just one year before TDK. I could've sworn it was earlier.
>>
>>81056082
>MCU vs Nolan

The rumblings started when Iron Man came out a year after TDK, built up with each new movie and exploded with Avengers vs TDKR. Then Green Lantern, then Snyder.
>>
>>81056051
Well some guy who actually (claimed to) be working in advertising says it's not worth it to shill here. Users/viewers are a fraction of what social media gets.
>>
>>81056082
It was in the wake of TDK that shiposter culture began on /co/ for a number of reasons with no real specific thing to blame. It was really more of a perfect storm of a hype tsunami crashing against the coastline of reality.

The Nolan Batman movies created a sense of belonging and superiority for DC fans and Iron Man and the fledgling MCU creating the same for Marvel. Movies were no longer their own things, they had become brands. DC fans had big heads and the Marvel fans did too, but with each subsequent success for Marvel the line between fanboy and moviegoing public blurred and with less and less to prove Marvel trolls (as most if not all trolls are driven by a sense of embitterment and insecurity) became increasingly few and far between where as DC's misfortune kept a relatively steady stable of salty malcontents ever at the beck n' call.
>>
>>81056258
Pretty much, there might have been a few test runs on shilling on fringe sites like 4chan, but outside of /x/ no one pays the idea much thought. For all it's seemingly ubiquitous pop culture notoriety 4chan is a surprisingly niche and hidden away obscurity.
>>
>>81056272
I wasn't on /co/ yet but I remember Nolan fans shitting on the previous Bat-films much more than pre-MCU Marvel films. Perhaps it was the same here?
>>
Fuck this capeshit cola wars bullshit. I want to watch a good movie; I don't care if it comes from Marvel, DC/WB, Fox, Sony, or any other studio.

I lean towards Marvel's output simply because there's a lot more of it, but I'm not going to pretend that every Marvel-based film is a gift from God. (I'd have to acknowledge X-Men: The Last Stand and Blade: Trinity as "good films" to do that.) If DC/WB produces a film I like, I'll say so. But I didn't like MoS, I have no interest in MoS (or Suicide Squad), and I don't want to invest any of my time and attention in the DCCU.

That can always change in the future. But tomorrow ain't today.
>>
>>81056380
To clarify, this was before the MCU got in full swing with arguably the Thor/Cap year.
>>
>>81055963
Don't blame /v/ for TDK faggotry, blame them for Arkham Suffix faggotry, which ended up being worse.
>>
>>81054711
>if the movie is good (The Dark Knight)
>the dark knight
>good
>>
>>81056389
>I'd have to acknowledge X-Men: The Last Stand and Blade: Trinity as "good films" to do that
Botrh FOX films. But MCU movies have their issues.
>>
>>81056501

Yes, a not-zero number of people would call that film "good". For all its flaws, it's a compelling movie.
>>
>>81056380
Hard to say, /co/ was a far more varied place with far more varied opinions with fewer lines drawn in the sand so you could pretty much find that and everything else here.

>>81056389
It's the unfortunate nature of people and self entitlement, the desire to find a pattern or consistency where there may not be any, the fallacy that the person liking something automatically makes it good.

>>81056463
True, that honestly does make more sense.

>>81056501
Popular consensus is that it is. It certainly was loaded with flaws, but did enough things right that people left the theater pleased with it. Unlike Batman Begins or the Dark Knight Rises it became a pop culture benchmark and was unilaterally praised by causals, critics and comic book fans.

>>81056539
I see the MCU on the path to improvement, however their methodology for taking risks on unproven directors will always remain an x-factor that no amount of oversight will account for.
>>
>>81056539

They're still based on Marvel properties, though.

And yes, not every MCU film is a godsend. (Hi, Iron Man 3! Go sit in the corner with the Thor movies and think about what you've done.)
>>
>>81056605

I love the Thor movies tho-What the, GODDAMMIT FREEHAVEN GO BACK TO YOUR ZOOTOPIA THREADS
>>
File: legitimus.jpg (278 KB, 815x863) Image search: [Google]
legitimus.jpg
278 KB, 815x863
>>81054711
>DC Movies are kind of like the annual Groundhog Day of pop culture
Yeah if annual meant every 3 years.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.