[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
But it's precisely when humor is offensive that we need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
But it's precisely when humor is offensive that we need it most. Comedy should provoke. It should blast through prejudices, challenge preconceptions. Comedy should always leave you different than when it found you. Sure humor can hurt even alienate but the risk is better than the alternative; a steady diet of innocuous, child proof, flavorless mush. Demand to be challenged, to be offended, to be treated like thinking, reasoning adults and raise your children to be the same. Don't let a comedian, a network, a congressional committee, or an evil genius take away your freedom to laugh at whatever you want.
>>
File: our lord and savior.png (11 KB, 1023x146) Image search: [Google]
our lord and savior.png
11 KB, 1023x146
>>81042247
I'M TRIGGERED

MODS PLEASE BAN OP
>>
File: hmmmmm.png (412 KB, 490x407) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmm.png
412 KB, 490x407
>>81042247
But people could get upset.

And then they may not like you or think you're a good person.

You don't want THAT, now do you?
>>
>>81042247
comedy challenging people with power and influence is brave. comedy attacking the poor and downtrodden is just bullying. going on a racist tirade built on widespread prejudice doesn't challenge anything.
and if you cow at the thought of getting heckled for your opinions you never should have gotten into comedy.
>>
File: 1446783288844.jpg (168 KB, 500x818) Image search: [Google]
1446783288844.jpg
168 KB, 500x818
>>81042247
>>
>>81044273
>stop liking what I don't like
Comedy isn't about being "brave" anon. You don't like the "bully" comedians then don't give them your money. They should have the right to be offensive, but that doesn't mean they have a right to an audience either.
>>
File: 1458687739073.gif (998 KB, 500x264) Image search: [Google]
1458687739073.gif
998 KB, 500x264
>>81042247
I thought humor was supposed to make us laugh.

I think you're just moralizing behind a comedic demeanor.
>>
>>81044176
When does Linkara ever say "Hmmmmmm?" in his videos?
>>
>>81044273
Stawp punching dooowwwwnnn, you guuuuuuuys!

Coooome awwwwwwnnnn!! STAWWWWWP IIIIIIIT!

DON"T YOU KNOW WHAT YEAR THIS IS?!

Eeeeeyeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
>>
File: 1457219162316.webm (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1457219162316.webm
2 MB, 480x360
>>81044593
If you're trying to make a point through jokes, it helps to be funny first.
>>
>>81044668
Have you ever thought that a joke is just a joke? That some people find brutality or vulgarity amusing and that the fact that it offends you doesnt and shouldnt matter to their enjoyment of it? Censorship is almost always wrong and only the british and the japs think otherwise
>>
File: 1457892642526.gif (1 MB, 354x232) Image search: [Google]
1457892642526.gif
1 MB, 354x232
>>81044818
>Have you ever thought that a joke is just a joke?
I'm thinking you're a twelve year old all hopped up on adolescent feelings of independence, and you think you can say shit and get away with it especially since you've effectively grown up with the internet. But all you sound like is someone who refuses to take responsibility for any bullshit they happen to say, but welcome to accept any praise of "bravery" or "challenge" others might attribute to you.
>>
>>81044883
>instantly ad hominems because I disagree with him
Predictable and disappointing anon. I never claimed a lack of responsibility or anything that could have led you to say any of that tripe of an argument. You seem to assume I'm OP or someone else in the thread.
A joke is a joke and if you are offended by what a show or comedian says then dont support them with money or viewership and keep your vitriolic view that everything offensive should be censored to yourself. There is an obvious difference between a joke on tv or on stage and a joke done by someone in your office or wherever else. There is artistic freedom of speech and personal freedom of speech and you seem to think that they are both the same and should have the same consequences associated with them which is foolish in the extreme.
>>
>>81045082
>A joke is a joke
A joke can be multifaceted and the fact that you keep trying to pretend otherwise just proves you are a coward. You want to be able to make commentary but then hide behind the label of it being a "joke". If you can't admit and stand behind any statement you make with your jokes, then don't bother saying anything at all, because you are not prepared for how anyone will respond to you.
>>
Anything can be funny. It all depends on the context of the joke.
>>
File: Here is your you.jpg (8 KB, 231x172) Image search: [Google]
Here is your you.jpg
8 KB, 231x172
>>81045116
Cool down anon, it's just a joke bro!
>>
>>81042247
i would agree with this if it wasn't always used as some weird defense to say nigger on tumblr or whatever like that's even comedy
>>
>>81045116
A joke can be both. If it is meant as more it should be treated as such and if it wasnt it shouldnt be. You keep trying to say that every joke should be taken as an absolute threat if there is even a 1 percent chance that it is commentary but really most jokes are just face value
>>
>>81045204

I agree with this anon, honestly, I think Steve Hughes says it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

What jokes don't protect you from is criticism, just as anyone says that we can make jokes about what we want, people are allowed to tell you what they think about said jokes and you better be prepared to take that.
>>
>>81044273
>. comedy attacking the poor and downtrodden is just bullying. going on a racist tirade built on widespread prejudice doesn't challenge anything.

That's funny. If you actually have met the poor and downtrodden, you'd find that most of the time they're the most offensive and racist little shitheads you'd encounter.

Poverty or oppression doesn't excuse you from your bullshit. Stop that.
>>
>>81045294
fuckin kek this guy's p good
>>
>ITT a bunch of people who aren't funny debate what makes other unfunny people unfunny.
>muh SJW boogeymans
>muh punchin directions

SOMEONE THROW A FUCKING PIE.
>>
>>81045288
>if it wasnt it shouldnt be.
At that point you're either asking people to be mind readers or to trust you unequivocally.

There are times when jokes are just jokes and it's obvious. Sure. But that's something that happens because of a mutually understood context. There are times when I won't take you on your word that it's just a joke. And there would be times when I would be right to.

>>81045310
Anon said nothing about excusing poor people in that post at all.
>>
>>81045393
>the purpose of this thread was to be funny
>>
oooh, duckman commenatary! what's next, are we gonna get some bill hicks gold that every 15-year old atheist on reddit has regurgitated fifty billion times already? it really never gets tiring
>>
>>81045611
Nice sarcasm anon.
>>
>>81044542
It's in reference to a real life instance of him saying Hmmmmmm? someone post the story
>>
>>81044273
Sometimes the poor and downtrodden do something wrong and need to be called on it. Suffering isn't an excuse for being shitty.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.