[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Discuss: The Early Disney Renaissance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: renaissance.jpg (196 KB, 1343x779) Image search: [Google]
renaissance.jpg
196 KB, 1343x779
The Disney Renaissance is generally thought of taking up the 1990's, but overall the major nostalgia seems to be more for the movies of the early 90's rather than later - in particular, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King stand out as the most beloved Classics of this era. Do you agree with this? Are the early 90's the best movies/years of Disney's animated repertoire? If so, what was done right that hasn't been replicated since?
>>
I think it's just that when they first came out, it was more novel, doing the whole Broadway treatment to them. Then after Lion King it started to get old so that people got progressively more tired of it. I do wonder if they were switched around and, say, Hercules had come out in 1989 while Little Meraid wasn't until the late 90's after all the others, if they still would have gotten the same reception.
>>
Hunchback of Notre Dame is really the best of the whole lot, but it probably didn't do well because it was viewed as too dark. I'm not sure why Lion King was the biggest hit though, it always felt kind of over-rated to me.
>>
Beauty and the Beast and Hunchback are really the most Broadway of them, espeically with the whole openings, but I guess the Broadway musical tone was what made the Renaissance stand out from everything else. Little Mermaid was pretty Broadway too, but BATB really owned it.
>>
It still makes me laugh that Disney didn't even think Lion King would be a huge hit, and thought Pocahontas would be their big movie instead. How in the hell did they think Pocahontas would be huge?
>>
Stream on as part of a marathon through the history of Disney. Tonight is Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Nightmare Before Christmas. live stream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
File: 15.jpg (503 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
503 KB, 800x598
>>81035103
Beauty and the Beast starting
>>
BatB is really strong overall, but is probably the most poorly-animated film in the canon. Probably has to do with the new digital format.

Tarzan is my personal favorite, but I can't look at it objectively for that very reason.

Pocahontas is the worst by far, and one of the most poorly-written Disney films period.

Aladdin has aged a lot more poorly than the rest.

Hercules is potentially the best overall.

Hunchback would be incredible if the Gargoyles didn't throw off the tone.

It's weird that Rescuers Down Under is the only Disney sequel considered part of the canon.
>>
>>81035759
>It's weird that Rescuers Down Under is the only Disney sequel considered part of the canon.

It was made directly by the main animation studio and before they created DisneyToon.

Also, you're forgetting Fantasia 2000, the 2011 Pooh movie and arguably Three Caballeros (to Saludos Amigos)
>>
>>81035845
And don't forget we're going to be getting Frozen 2 as a theatrical Canon movie too.
>>
>>81034852
>How in the hell did they think Pocahontas would be huge?

They wrote it just to be Oscar bait and loaded it up with their most talented animators.
>>
>>81035759
I never really noticed BATB as poorly animated. At least it's not super sketchy and full of stolen animation like the movies of the 70's.
>>
>>81035103
Credits rolling on BATB. Aladdin is coming up.
>>
>>81035103
Nightmare before Christmas coming up
>>
>>81038298
Aladdin credits now, Nightmare is next
>>
>>81034852
Pocahontas was very successful, just not on Lion King levels.
>>
The Little Mermaid and the Beauty and the Beast were the Renaissance, it died with Howard Ashman. The lion King was a good imitation, and there were small high points here and there, but how the hell can anyone say with a straight face anything after those two approached "Golden Age Disney" levels of invested character animation, both technical skill and just really good acting. The writing afterwards never had more than the same three characters until things like the Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch, and I never liked the Glen Keane CAPSy look of all the stuff as the decade went on.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.