[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Given low budget >Midnight on a Sunday slot for new episodes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: go_team_venture.jpg (368 KB, 2667x2000) Image search: [Google]
go_team_venture.jpg
368 KB, 2667x2000
>Given low budget
>Midnight on a Sunday slot for new episodes
>Barely any re-runs
>Next to no merchandise

How the hell does this show manage to survive? By all accounts, it seems like Adult Swim is trying to sabotage it, but then they keep renewing it.
>>
because if they cancel it netflix will steal it up
basically they are doing what fox does with marvel properties. they don't care about using them to make money, they just want to hoard them so nobody else can
>>
>low budget
Nigga what
Venture gets some of the best writing and animation on Adult Swim if not on any TV channel.

This show survives on DVD sales, which are relatively high. So as long as people buy DVDs, it can survive.
>>
>>81024827
The creators have stated in a couple of interviews that the budget for their show is low for a traditionally animated show. They work with a skeleton crew and that's part of why it takes them so long to make an episode. Roughly 10 - 13 months to make one episode compared to the standard 9.
>>
>>81024947
Wanted to add to this, look at example this guy who pretty much did 95% of the designs for this season (Spoilers if you haven't watched any of season 6):

http://mrchrisgeorge.tumblr.com/
>>
>>81024947
>compared to the standard 9
Most animated shows I know of take around a year to make an episode
>>
>>81024947
Maybe the yearly budget is low, but:
2 years between seasons
10 episodes per season

That means 5 episodes a year, which compared to a regular animated TV show's 13 episodes per year, means they have more than twice the budget per episode.

And it shows. I haven't been counting frames, but the quality and quantity of animation in the last couple of Venture Bros seasons has been above average, to say the least. Just compare it to the animation in the first season.
>>
>>81025039
Preproduction is usually 3 months and production is usually 9 months, but episodes are worked on concurrently. But the schedule varies. South Park can make an episode in a week, some shows take a year and a half for the "best" episodes.
>>
>>81024755
>How the hell does this show manage to survive?
Because it's the only show [as] has that can be considered to have merit outside of solely comedy and a stoner audience and if they gave it up, another network would snatch it and give it proper marketing and funding and it would get way more popular
>>
>>81025071
What? No, the 13 episodes a year crew gets more money and can thus have a larger team to make more episodes.
>>
>>81025071
TV budget doesn't accumulate like that. They're given a budget, need to work around the budget, and if they need more money they need to send in a request to be approved by the network. That's why some shows, like Invader ZIM, were consistently allowed to go over budget, because someone upstairs either figured it was worth it or was playing favorites.
>>
File: dt071127.gif (96 KB, 900x283) Image search: [Google]
dt071127.gif
96 KB, 900x283
>>81025478
>>81025401
So the show magically has better animation despite being funded less than ATHF, for example? Think about what you're saying.

If the crew is small, but production is 5 episodes per year, it can have good animation. And the crew gets paid per month, not per episode (except pre-production crew like writers who get paid per-script)
>>
>>81025860
>So the show magically has better animation despite being funded less than ATHF, for example? Think about what you're saying.
Yes. Do you even understand budget? Budget doesn't all go to art. AtHF can have a larger budget simply because it has more comedians or more guest stars in their episode. Doc and Jackson do a lot of the leg work because it's their show and they don't care how much they're getting paid. They do most of the voices, all of the writing. Doc even does a lot of special effects for the show and a bit of additional animation (Or at least used to for the first few seasons, don't know if he still does). He also does a lot of the post-editing.

They're able to use most of their budget on animation and art simply because they've basically done all the other work for minimum wage.
>>
>>81024755
>Next to no merchandise

You know they have toys, right?

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/hitlist.asp?theme=venture+bros.
>>
>>81027162
Some action figures and t-shirts isn't quite the same as something like Adventure Time's explosion of hats, backpacks, keychains, cups, posters, stickers/decals, DVD sets with physical object bonuses, Art Of books, etc.

I'm sure in due time, Rick & Morty will get just as much merch as Adventure Time because of how quote-spouting the show is lends it to have shit like "TINY RIIICCK" on a cell phone cover.
>>
File: 1450191799215.png (11 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1450191799215.png
11 KB, 429x410
Speaking of Venture Bros and merchandise
>Order a the Dr. Mrs. The Monarch pin up shirt in a woman's small for me and my friend
>Get it today
>Both are in woman's 2XL
>Not sure if I can return it since the shirt if limited edition.

Fucking Titmouse
>>
>>81027640
>a woman's small
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>81024976
Man, thanks for posting that link, this shit is awesome.
>>
File: 1314194533528.jpg (7 KB, 211x238) Image search: [Google]
1314194533528.jpg
7 KB, 211x238
>>81027640
I'm so, so, sorry in advance for what is about to happen. Trolls are going to come into the thread and they will be saying some very hurtful things about you. They will call you some very hurtful names. But none of those things are true. How could they possibly know? How could they possibly know how beautiful you really are? How sweet and compassionate you are? I'm so sorry about them, please do not let them hurt you.

>mfw thinking about you hurting

I just want to see you shine and flourish. You are so precious to me. I want to write poetry and sing songs about my love and adoration for you and all of your perfections. My name is Brian, by the way. I know that you're tired of all the assholes and jerks. I know how you feel baby doll. I know. I am different. I am the nicest guy you will ever meet, and if anything I'll be the one in the kitchen. I live in London. Please be in London.
>>
>>81027640

Something similar happened to me. Ordered my Blue Morpho shirt, got a Dethklok Doomstar shirt in it's place. Emailed Titmouse about it. They're seemingly resending me what I ordered.

Perhaps you should do the same? Although personally, I think you should just keep it anyway.
>>
>>81027806
hello new copypasta
>>
>>81027299
Honestly, The Venture Brothers has probably gotten more merchandise than any Adult Swim series in the past five years other than Rick and Morty. Aqua Teen's merch dried up long ago, the Adult Swim store itself has been dead for multiple years. Venture Bros still has new merch popping up constantly. Hell, look at this new lunchbox that is out

https://twitter.com/Jose_CNN/status/712117546821033985
>>
>>81027640
post pics of you in the shirt!
worst case scenario its a sleep shirt?
>>
File: 1323356364105.jpg (43 KB, 231x363) Image search: [Google]
1323356364105.jpg
43 KB, 231x363
>>81027806
>I live in London. Please be in London.
You know, I think getting second hand meme's from other boards somehow makes them funnier because I don't associate them with shitposting
>>
>>81027808
Nice. I didn't know if Titmouse did returns or not.I might wear it as a nightshirt though.
>>
>>81027993
>I didn't know if Titmouse did returns or not.

I don't know about returns. I'm almost sure they don't though. I'm keeping the Doomstar shirt. They're just sending me what I originally paid for.
>>
>>81027856
>new
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.