[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he everything you hoped for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67
Was he everything you hoped for?
>>
Well he's the best Punisher so far.
>>
>>81003826
Yes
>>
yeah he did a good job
>>
His size is the only thing that bothered me. Frank isn't supposed to be a manlet.
>>
>>81006287
>italian character
>being tall
who you foolin?
we are not a large statured people, but our feisty nature makes up for it
>>
I was inpressed. Kinda wish he got a bit more screentime but it's all good.
>>
>>81003826
No, the casting choice was disappointing
and so deterrent
>>
>>81003826
No, Berenthal is a shit actor. He plays one character, Shane, and that's it. There was nothing uniquely Frank about him.
>>
>>81003826
Honestly? He's better than comics Frank.

Don't get me wrong, he didn't do a lot of new things, but they crammed all the best moments of 40/50 years of Punisher comics into like 4 hours of screen time.

Small stuff like having him actually smile (as opposed to smirk) at Karen for mentioning his family, without compromising his unrelentlessness at the end by killing the dude without mercy. The fact that he used to sing and listen to music did wonders too.
>>
>>81003826
I feel like he has the same problem as MCU Captain America:
He doesn't have the presence of the character.

I'm not saying he's not intimidating when he wants to be, but he's not imposing or anything.
>>
File: live action frank.png (568 KB, 540x727) Image search: [Google]
live action frank.png
568 KB, 540x727
>>81003826
He's everything I ever wanted in a Frank. I Franking loved him.
>>
File: penny and dime.jpg (53 KB, 1200x657) Image search: [Google]
penny and dime.jpg
53 KB, 1200x657
>>81003826
That monologue delivered in Penny and Dime was cliche as fuck but he did a great job delivering it.

I really liked him as the Punisher. Easily the best person to play the role on screen.
>>
looks like only marvel drones are in this thread

he was a shit punisher
he wasn't imposing, or scary, he was a manlet with a stupid look

if he was a brand new character he would be good, but he is a shit punisher
>>
>>81003826
he was about everything I expected, which was good
still doesn't hold a candle to comics frank, but he fit the series well and he was able to call murdock on his bs
>>
>>81003826
I would watch a Bernthal as Frank spin-off show.
>>
>>81007466
>Everyone likes Bernthal
>One guy hates him

>looks like only marvel drones are in this thread!!!!!!
>>
>Frank listening to Earth Wind and Fire

Shit like that completely buys me. You can't pull it off in a movie, you need a whole season of brooding for it to hit you.
>>
The skull was fucking perfect, I was scared they'd lame it up to make look less comicy but God damn it's perfect
>>
File: franciscocastillo.jpg (111 KB, 600x457) Image search: [Google]
franciscocastillo.jpg
111 KB, 600x457
>That fucking "I am the Punisher" delivery in the court outburst

Yeah i fuckin loved it. Not in a "Muh punisher" way, he's a weird mix of Punisher Max and Netflix Marvel universe character
>>
He was incredible.
>>
>Frank talking about love
>Frank listening to funk
>Frank singing kids songs to his platoon
>Frank not being a complete douche-bag when talking to people that cared about him, bust still being assertive
>Frank still going fucking mental and franking everyone and using people he cares about as bait.

Yeah, best Frank ever. He was so fucking good, you didn't notice he fired like 20 bullets on camera, apart from the first episode raid.
>>
Recast him pls.
Manlet frank is distracting
>>
He was terrific. Like a young DeNiro, no joke. Best supporting performance I've seen on a TV show in years.
>>
>>81003826
Frankly, yes. Yes he was
>>
>>81003826
Best live action Frank and it's not even close. And to think I was disappointed when I heard they cast him...
>>
>>81007283

The thing that struck me is that he didn't just kill the guy without mercy, he killed the guy without really caring. Like he realised that it won't end with revenge and just moved on to his crusade against crime.
>>
>>81006428
You can be a big guy without being 6'6".
>>
Frank is listed as 6'1 on the Marvel 616 wiki page.
>>
>>81003826
Does he ever wear the skull?
>>
>>81010084
At he end he spray paints a skull onto his bulletproof vest
>>
>>81003826
who's this potato-ass faggot
>>
>>81007430
Penny and Dime monologue is performance art fucking gold. Bernthal knocked that shit out of the park, and I applaud him as Punisher.

Thought he did an amazing job and was by *far* the best part of the season.
>>
>>81010067
>manlet
No wonder he has so much rage in him.
>>
>>81003826
Yes. Berenthal proved to be a brilliant casting choice. Except he didn't get enough to do in the finale.
>>
>>81008079
>Yeah i fuckin loved it. Not in a "Muh punisher" way

This. I thought he was great even though his personality wasn't terribly accurate to the comics.
>>
>>81003826
Scrawny manlet.

No
>>
>>81007466
You have shit tastes. It's because you're retarded. Sorry it wasn't my little pony or something to pacify your faggy autism.
>>
>>81009855
5'10" is tall for an Italian
>>
>>81008452
If you're not saying this about Leto you're a faggot. MArvel's casting is so much better than Dc's they're not comparable. You're just not very smart.
>>
>le manlet maymay

You're all a bunch of highschoolers still going through puberty who won't reach 6'
>>
>>81010067
3 inches is nothing, unless you're autistic. We have a Joker who's nearly a foot too short.
>>
>>81003826
best punisher to date
>>
>>81008403
>Punisher is not a fucking robot fueled by tomato soup so it sucks
Bo-fucking-ho
>>
>>81012091
joker doesn't rely on physical intimidation nearly as much as the punisher
don't get me wrong, bernthal's punisher is great, but the fact that daredevil is the same height as him is distracting at the very least
>>
>>81012048
For you.
>>
>>81008403
>Frank being a human during his service and losing his shit after losing his family
I see nothing wrong with this. It makes me like him more actually.
>>
>>81004204
>Well he's the best Punisher so far.
This. His portrayal was acceptable and probably the closest in looks to Frank that you are going to get.
>>81006287
>Frank isn't supposed to be a manlet.
He's only about 3 inches shorter than Frank's wiki height.
>>
I think if the worst someone has to say about a character is spouting dank /tv/ memes, it's probably doing soething right
>>
File: cZOGt1L.jpg (179 KB, 886x574) Image search: [Google]
cZOGt1L.jpg
179 KB, 886x574
>>81003826

yes, yes, and yes!

i wasn't sure how i would feel about it after his epic performance in walking dead, i didn't think i would be able to see him as the punisher no matter how much he cosplayed as him, which he didn't until the very last episode of season 2, and this dude fucking killed it as punisher! he was so good he set the bar for all other punishers before and after him, he is the best live action punisher to date and its going to be hard to top him in hollywood, tv, or netflix!

10/10 punisher performance! totally believed it and felt like punisher to me the whole time! loved it! fucking brutal and savage!
>>
>>81011967
>scrawny manlet

did you even watch the show? did you even see him in action????
>>
>>81014782
Frank has a gun to your head, doesn't he?
>>
>>81011676
This was my only problem. I wanted him Franking hordes of ninjas with that mini-gun at the end, or something to that effect.
>>
>>81003826
She's 12
>>
>9 cups of coffee, Frank would call that a good start
>>
So it's just going to be ignored that frank knows Matt is daredevil now?
>>
>>81017356

Seriously! You can't tease the Punisher getting his hands on a minigun and then NOT have him use it!
>>
>>81007283

The difference between TV Frank and comics Frank (specifically, MAX Frank) is that comics Frank has been the Punisher for decades.

By the time we see him in MAX it's been 30 years since his family was killed. They're a distant memory and he's been murdering the shit out of people for three decades. Every little burr of passion he had has been worn down.

On Daredevil everything is still raw. His service and his family are still very recent in his life, and he still has a lot of humanity left. A running theme in MAX is that Frank is basically doing his best to remove every bit of humanity in himself, so on the show it's like that same character without thirty years of mileage. And thats a version of the character we never saw in MAX. We saw him in Vietnam and we saw him 30 years later. The show is basically filling in that gap in the character.

>tfw Garth Ennis will never write a series focused on Frank's earliest days of being the Punisher
>>
File: NErNjaptLAhKuA_4_b.jpg (70 KB, 600x325) Image search: [Google]
NErNjaptLAhKuA_4_b.jpg
70 KB, 600x325
>>81017615

he knew the whole time, from the second he showed up at the hospital to be his lawyer

you can see it in his reaction by hearing mats voice first without seeing him

it clicked

he even said "i know who you are"

think about it!

they will have a talk about this in season 3! just watch!
>>
>>81003826
He's not big enough.
>>
>>81018081
Yeah I picked up on that as well. His first words to Murdock are " yeah you're that guy who defends killers" or something like that. The scene was directed well enough that it was heavily implied that he knew.
>>
Yeah but they spent too much time stroking Frank Miller's ninja-loving dick.
>>
>>81018081
I liked that there wasn't the obvious "Will he reveal my identity?" bullshit.
>>
>>81012269
I thought that post was praising him.
>>
>>81017737
Maybe we'll see it in a spin-off/next season, anon. I want a few over-the-top weapons scenes. Like alien tech or some shit.
>>
File: 1457402307835.jpg (108 KB, 497x504) Image search: [Google]
1457402307835.jpg
108 KB, 497x504
>Karen tries emotionally blackmailing Frank into not franking the Blacksmith(saying its not what his family would want, he'll be dead to her etc.)
>mfw "I'm already dead"
>>
>>81013728
>the closest in looks to Frank that you are going to get.
Bernthal was the best Frank. Stevenson was the best Punisher.
>>
>>81018081
I fully expected for Frank to go "you sound familiar Red" after Matts speech during the trial
>>
>>81018943

Jesus Christ, not every character is fucking Batman. Frank and Punisher are the same guy, there is no division between them.
>>
>>81013728
3 inches is quite a lot.
>>
>>81018973
It's not about that; Stevenson wasn't nearly as developed as Bernthal, mostly because it jumped straight into killing people without any sort of backstory and Bernthal had all the development in the world on his personal approach to his war.

So my assessment is correct. And more than that, I specifically pointed out the looks part. I'm not saying which one is best, just pointing out that looks-wise, Stevenson is closest to being the perfect Punisher.
>>
>>81008403
That makes this Punisher sadder than other versions. If his family hadn't been killed he might have had a normalish life. He loved his kids and even though it seemed like he had some marital problems he loved his wife. His life was never going to be easy considering all the shit he went through in ese but it he would have made it worked. His family had him and he had them until he didn't and then all he had was his war.
>>
>>81017453
>>81017453
https://youtu.be/OGp9P6QvMjY
>>
>>81019115

I think Thomas Jane looked better, especially in Dirty Laundry.
>>
>>81017575
More realistic than chronic alcoholic Thomas Jane Punisher.
>>
>>81007466

Fucking this. The level of delusion about this show approaches TDK trilogy levels.
>>
i didnt really buy into it at first but damn he brought a level of intensity to that role. The direction also helped alot when Frank showed up he was like jason vorhees with an assault rifle
>>
>>81006287

He could stand to bulk up a little bit but other than that the portrayal was perfect.
>>
>>81019016
Is that what your girlfriend tells you?
>>
I would think of all the superheroes who could get away with not being super massive, the one who shoots people and lays IEDs could probably get away with it the best
>>
I don't know how anyone can compete with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp9OkXHXas4
>>
>>81003826
I was excited before I saw him and then really disappointed for the most part by him. I want to like JB but he just kinda has no range of acting.

Also why does this show always have the most fucktarded final episodes every time? I want to puke whenever I see those shit slow-mo shots with the 3fps and every time Matt grunts. That fucking nod he does to DD when he snipes them ninjas was the cheesiest shit I ever saw.
>>
>>81012091
Joker is small in most incarnations
>>
>>81020535
savage
>>
>Sounds like a party.

He's simply the best, better than all the rest.
>>
I'm I the only one who thinks that Daredevil and the Punisher should be in the Avengers instead of Hawkeye and Black Widow? They're both way more interesting those those boring shits.
Fuck me I want to see him in Civil War.
>>
>>81021689
Keep them away from the Avengers. Marvel films are fucking awful compared to the Netflix shows.
>>
>>81021756
This x100
>>
>>81021756
Most Marvel movies are better than Jessica Jones, that's for sure.
>>
File: 224064_1985528200193_4190222_n.jpg (40 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
224064_1985528200193_4190222_n.jpg
40 KB, 479x720
>>81021756
>>81022011
>>
I liked him. At times, he was almost too emotional, but it still worked. There's room for him to be a stone cold killer as well. And I liked the costume, even if we only got a glimpse at the end.
>>
>>81022072
Jessica Jones is awful and you know it.
>>
>>81019389
seconding
>>
File: MY KINDA FRANK.png (154 KB, 429x630) Image search: [Google]
MY KINDA FRANK.png
154 KB, 429x630
>>81003826
Just about.
>>
File: You're a faggot.png (197 KB, 768x393) Image search: [Google]
You're a faggot.png
197 KB, 768x393
>>81022113
>>
>>81003826

Too emotionally fragile, he was just Shane with a dead family.
>>
>>81022141
My kind of Frank
>>
>>81022096
>I liked him. At times, he was almost too emotional, but it still worked. There's room for him to be a stone cold killer as well.
My thought is, hes still too new to Punishing, and his pain is still too fresh for him to have that emotional distance from it. If he keeps going for a while, his overall attitude will harden, most likely, as he spends more time in the mindset of "What I do, I do out of necessity." Given that, I really liked this Punisher.
>>
>>81022216
That's how I considered it too, once I finished the series.
>>
>>81022197
Rottentomatoes is useless when it comes to TV series, this is a widely known fact.
>>
>>81022289
>Rottentomatoes is useless
Yep.
>>
>>81022289
Yes, everyone should listen to you instead.
>>
>>81022368
Why are you so anally devastated about someone calling Jessica Jones shit?
>>
>>81003826

Yes. He was great.

Once again this board gets blown out cause "LOL HE WAS SHANE IN TWD WILL HE RUB HIS HEAD A LOT? xD"

Literal spastics
>>
>>81022419
It might be a fat feminazi tumblrina
>>
>>81022419
Because instead of sharing criticisms is mostly stems with her either fucking Luke (which triggers people here) or LE SJW BOOGEYMAN.
>>
File: rottentomato.jpg (43 KB, 551x450) Image search: [Google]
rottentomato.jpg
43 KB, 551x450
>>81022197

I binged JJ in 3 days, 12 hours long and if you asked me to recall what happens in it, I'd probably tell you 10 minutes worth.

It's a dumb show
>>
>>81022451
Or Bendis.

>>81022466
Fuck off with your poorly-paced, melodramatic show filled with annoying, underdeveloped characters Bendis.
>>
>>81022574
This, basically. If Jessica Jones had Kilgrave as an overarching villain who never really got directly involved until the last few episodes, it would have been better. If it had spent a lot of time in between dealing with different cases and actually being a PI, it would have been cool, and they wouldn't have had to repeat the same 10 minutes for 13 episodes.
>>
>>81022574
Personally the bitches face puts me off. Is she constantly rolling her eyes or what?
>>
File: burned.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
burned.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>81020535
>>
>>81022466
If you want criticism, then alright:
>Story gets stuck in a retarded loop of Kilgrave being captured only to escape
>Fight scenes suck
>Dark to a farcical extent.
>Nuke subplot goes to shit
>Obnoxious retarded twins
>Lesbian love triangle subplot that leads nowhere
>Cringeworthy sex scenes shoved in for no reason other than """"""maturity""""""
>The subplot about Kilgraves victims meeting up and discussing their feelings leads nowhere
>Main character is a useless asshole fuckup.
>>
>>81022690
So basically

>Le Black man taking mah whitewomen
>LE SJWs

Wow, such criticisms!
>>
>>81012269
The only thing that sucks here is your reading comprehension.

Well that and this guy's tastes >>81007466
>>
>>81022732
Those were some fair criticisms and you know it. Stop being ass mad because know one likes your shitty show.
Use more buzzwords if you have to.
>>
>>81022141

MY KINDA FRANK.

And yes OP, Bernthal was even better than I expected. Him and every scene with Fisk were easily the best parts of an otherwise uneven second season. I hope he can actually get his own series in time.
>>
>>81022732
This is unbelievably obvious bait.
>>
>>81022732
Anon, that's some weak ass trolling.
>>
>>81022732
epic troled /b/ro!
>>
Lets face it, they put in the Punisher because they knew that the Electra & Hand wasn't going to carry the series.
>>
>>81022732

He literally didn't mention black man having sex with white woman anywhere. You're reaching hard that people aren't slurping over that poorly written show. You pretty much ignored everything else he said.

The lesbian lawyer sub-plot went nowhere and got a lot of screentime for no good reason. The girl Jessica wants to save ends up killing herself anyway. The show was a giant waste of time. Get over it.
>>
>>81022630
Yeah, the overuse of Kilgrave was the season's biggest problem. Daredevil had the right idea with building Kingpin up gradually as a threat and things coming to a head in the last third of the season.

You could have done the same thing with JJ, dropping hints to Kilgrave for the first few episodes and only having her figuring things out about halfway through the season. Like maybe it turns out some of the cases she's been working have been set up by Kilgrave, and the whole case with Hope ends up happening around episode 5 or 6. Then you could have a huge reveal with her figuring out not only that Kilgrave is back, but how much he's been messing with her.

Hell a big part of her appeal is the whole PI angle, but there's absolutely no mystery to the Kilgrave arc at all.
>>
>>81017453
>>
>>81022197
>Seriously taking RT in count
>Thinking JJ is better than S2 of DD
>>
>>81022799
Maybe. It would have been kind of a jump to go from Season 1 as a badass crime drama meets grounded superhero, to Season 2 with actual fucking ninjas.

and before you ask, yes, I've read the comics, I know the ninjas are a thing with Daredevil, it'd just be awfully sudden for the series.
>>
>>81022816
I loved the scenes where she was actually doing her fucking job. Even when she was stalking Luke, it was at the very least interesting. With Kilgrave it was the same shit repeated over and over ad nauseam.
>>
>>81022854

They had actual ninjas in Season 1 though.
>>
>>81022854
They could have made the Hand/Yakuza/their front a legal nemesis as well as a ninja one i suppose.

But that could have been retreading S1 too much.
>>
Anyone else laughing at the thought of fagboy Joss Whedon being buttblasted about everyone loving Punisher?
>>
>>81021689

>Daredevil and the Punisher should be in the Avengers instead of Hawkeye and Black Widow?

They're much better yes but it wouldn't work.
>>
>>81022894
I think the Punisher + The Hand/Elektra worked surprisingly well with the series.
>>
File: 0MZYj9jN_400x400.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
0MZYj9jN_400x400.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
>>81022919
mfw
>>
File: 1401344074906.jpg (3 MB, 4096x5768) Image search: [Google]
1401344074906.jpg
3 MB, 4096x5768
When is Captain America going to show up?
>>
>>81021689
Punisher isn't a team player and I doubt Cap and Tony would approve of his "leave no survivors" tactics.
>>
File: 124136346234.gif (1 MB, 227x136) Image search: [Google]
124136346234.gif
1 MB, 227x136
>>81022919
But of course.
>>
>>81023045
What about when it comes to aliens and robots? I wonder if he'll be tsundere for Cap.
>>
>>81019389
I'd like to think of Jane as early Punisher and Stevenson as later Punisher, when he's been doing it for a few years and gained some age.
>>
>>81023366
So JB is Raw Punisher?
>>
>>81023366

Wasn't that the story in the actual movies? 2004 was the origin while in WZ he'd been Punisher for five years.

I don't like Warzone but to its credit it's the only adaptation that actually portrays the Punisher as being the Punisher. In the Thomas Jane movie and in Daredevil he's seeking vengeance for his family's murder. But Frank doesn't really become the Punisher until he gets his revenge and keeps on going.
>>
File: 1428933552259.gif (2 MB, 388x218) Image search: [Google]
1428933552259.gif
2 MB, 388x218
>>81020535

FUCCCCCKKKKKKK
>>
File: 1446607624858.jpg (73 KB, 300x259) Image search: [Google]
1446607624858.jpg
73 KB, 300x259
>>81020535
outplayed
>>
>>81020535
sheeiiiiiiiit
>>
>>81022854
They set it up in S1 with the Stick episode, Nobu being a crazy ass ninja and the old chinese lady being an alien or something.
>>
>>81022968
Thematically it worked really well.

Both storylines serve to make Matt question his methods.
>>
People who complain about how his personality was inaccurate to the comics don't get it.

This wasn't a Punisher story. This was a story about Frank Castle's journey to becoming the Punisher. It was a story about him gradually losing his humanity and giving in to the Punisher identity, culminating in the shed scene where he responds to Karen's pleas with "I'm already dead."

He was humanised because he was still human, and by the end of the season he's on the path to becoming the almost inhuman killing machine that is the Punisher.
>>
So did he bang Matt?
>>
>>81003826
I was honestly hoping for steven segal
>>
>>81017999
Well also a major difference I find is this Frank is more chatty and loud in his rage. Punisher Max even in his Vietnam days was more of the strong silent type and even when he in full psycho kill mode he didn't say much.

Its a difference I can live with though what with two different mediums and all that.
>>
>>81021689
I like Hawkeye, but I probably wouldn't miss Black Widow if she just disappeared and never showed up again. That said, no I don't want them in the Avengers. It just doesn't fit.

>>81021756
I wouldn't mind the characters in the Netflix shows getting secondary roles and/or cameos in a couple films every now and then. Preferably films about other mostly street level heroes like Spider-Man. This all takes place in the same world after all, so I think they should make at least some effort to acknowledge that.
>>
>>81025029
It was good and all but I prefer the interpretation that he was always the Punisher. The whole killing his family thing was just an excuse for him to quench his insatiable bloodlust he picked up in Vietnam.
>>
>>81021689

what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>81025381
I like interesting characters?
>>
>>81025029

Frank was always the Punisher but that doesn't mean that who the Punisher is doesn't change.

They made very strong allusions to Born in this season (who else interpreted him as actually dying from that headshot and being reincarnated by Death?) and I'm positive we'll see more of Frank's war days in the future. The approach they took the whole season was to start at the surface and peel back layers and I don't think they're going to stop.
>>
>>81025178
>>81025428

I agree with that too, but I like to also think that, while he was always The Punisher inside, there was a time where he was human and emotional and happy.

I think this was a good show of that.
>>
>>81017999
>tfw Garth Ennis will never write a series focused on Frank's earliest days of being the Punisher

fucking trips confirm

i want this bad ;_;
>>
>>81025498

One of the points of The Tyger is that Frank was always The Punisher, but that only means he had that animal spirit inside a pretty normal human. It was circumstance that brought that spirit out in him, with the implication being that we all have the potential to become The Punisher because every human being is born with the potential to be The Tyger.
>>
>>81018137
Frank's facial reactions made the season.
>>
>>81025573

As a consolation prize, when The Platoon comes out we'll have stories showing all three of Franks tours in Nam chronicling his spiritual evolution from greenhorn to Death.

Maybe then Ennis will do a Year Ond style story, if we're lucky.
>>
>>81025657
>when The Platoon comes out
>when
>>
>>81022690
>Cringeworthy sex scenes shoved in for no reason other than """"""maturity""""""
The worst part of those was how they tried to get in some middle ground where people would hold up sheets to cover themselves while fucking and it created this really absurd effect where characters are going beyond missionary position with the lights off but they're not acting like they're really having sex. Either don't try to have "mature" sex or actually have the actors look like they're boning.
>>
>>81022141
My kinda Frank

the series brings up a question I had, though: MAX!Frank has got to be in his 60s by now if he was a Vietnam vet. The show brought him forward in time for obvious reasons, but Vietnam is a pretty integral part of the comics character. (In fact, I can't think of any other comics character so attached to a specific place in time.)

Do you think they're going to "reset" him to bring him forward in time, like the show? Will he retain his back story and just get old and die some time? Will he keep Franking, backstory intact, and just have it go unexplained?
>>
>>81025034
i sure hope so
>>
>>81020535
s a v a g e
a v a v
v a g e
a g e
g e
e
>>
>>81025842
>Do you think they're going to "reset" him to bring him forward in time, like the show?
In the comics? Rucka and Edmonson soft-retconned Frank into being from some conflict in the middle east (with Rucka it was someone talking about his service over a desert background, don't remember the exact mention of it for Edmonson). Never mind that Remender had de-aged Frank with the Frankencastle shenanigans so no retcon was necessary.
>>
>>81025842

I don't know where you've been, but MAX ended a while ago.

Under Ennis Frank's given birthday was February 16, 1950, meaning Frank would be 66 now. It doesn't really matter because there hasn't been an Ennis-written Punisher story set in the modern day since 2008. Even if he did it still wouldn't matter, because Ennis portrayed Nick Fury as being at least 20 years older than Frank and he was still a bad motherfucker.

Under Aaron Frank's birthdate was bumped up to 1947, making him 65 by the end. That series addressed the physical ramifications of his mission and his age. Also, he died at the end so theres no reason to update.

MAX is over. If we see more present-day MAX stories Frank will still be a Vietnam vet. When we get to the point where Frank would be ridiculously ancient then they'll probably just do period pieces. There is thirty years of stories for MAX!Frank just waiting to be told. They could do an entire series based around his partnership with Micro. Or they could do a True Detective and tell a Frank story that covers the 70s, 80s and 90s. Theres a lot left for them to do even if they don't want to continue telling stories about Frank in the '10s. And by "they" I mean Ennis.
>>
>>81025842
>In fact, I can't think of any other comics character so attached to a specific place in time.
Well, there's Cap with WWII but he has that convenient ice thing
>>
>>81007415
This. I got everything I expected.

Thank you, Daredevil, for not dissapointing me.
>>
>>81026184

I kind of want a "retro" one-shot or mini set in the MAX continuity that would at least give us a glimpse of Frank's activities in-between his family's deaths and the events of In the Beginning.

Could use Micro (he said he worked alongside Frank for nearly ten years), Jigsaw (he and Frank clearly knew each other in Girls in White Dresses) and maybe S.H.I.E.L.D.-era Nick Fury.
>>
>>81003826

It wasnt the old grumpy punisher of the comics. Its the young punisher of the start. And yes, i liked it.
>>
File: 1452743485720.gif (927 KB, 301x300) Image search: [Google]
1452743485720.gif
927 KB, 301x300
>>81020535

absolutely savage!
>>
>>81027863

Maybe a spiritual sequel to FuryMAX, a retrospective of his career as The Punisher.

My nipples are hard now.
>>
File: Снимок экрана (132).png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Снимок экрана (132).png
2 MB, 1920x1200
Wow, poetic
>>
>>81025428
I kinda got the impression that "Kandahar" was this versions Valley Forge.
>>
>>81030365
That scene was Frank as fuck.
>>
File: jizz_face_by_loverush.jpg (46 KB, 436x406) Image search: [Google]
jizz_face_by_loverush.jpg
46 KB, 436x406
>>81026184
>>81026184
>Period piece Punisher
>>
>>81022919
Any sauce for that?
>>
>>81021689
What? Why? They're fucking street level heroes.
>>
>>81020535
Fucking savage.
>>
>>81030644

That was basically "Frank: The Motion Picture Event."
>>
>>81021689

No, but Black Widow should be in Daredevil.
>>
File: 1454221200829.gif (3 MB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
1454221200829.gif
3 MB, 370x370
>>81003826

>that prison hall fight
>>
File: 1401752920942.jpg (34 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
1401752920942.jpg
34 KB, 680x510
>>81020535
>>
>If Frank hadn't stopped to spray paint his costume he would have got there in time to save Elektra
God dammit, Frank.
>>
>>81003826
Would have liked it if they skull'd him up from the beginning.
>>
>>81031464
>Shirt made awesome at the cost of psychobitch

Fair trade.
>>
>>81013728
It's not just about height (even though it sorta is), it's presence. MAX Frank was Xbox Mchueg and his sheer size and presence was intimidating as fuck. Berthnal's Punisher is intimidating, just not as physically.

I loved Berthnal's Frank, but he's not quite MAX Frank.
>>
File: punisher2001_13_cover.jpg (63 KB, 527x800) Image search: [Google]
punisher2001_13_cover.jpg
63 KB, 527x800
>>81031696

He might not be a physical match for the interior art, but Bernthal is right in line with Tim Bradstreet's Frank which IMO is definitive Frank.
>>
>>81031871
He's still freaking huge, mate.
>>
>>81032167

Height doesn't matter much.
>>
>>81032208
It sort of does. I bet you think Tom Cruise did a great job of portraying Jack Reacher.
>>
>>81032299

The Bradstreet design is very rarely seen next to other people so most of the times theres no sense of scale. He could be 5'6 or 6'4 and it wouldn't make a difference, height is not integral to that design.
>>
File: ThePunisher18_00.jpg (286 KB, 1280x1977) Image search: [Google]
ThePunisher18_00.jpg
286 KB, 1280x1977
>>81032436
A number of them do, and each one that does shows off his size. Regardless of what's integral to the design or not, the Punisher on in the inside pages is always intimidating physically and is far from 5ft 6.
>>
>>81032570
>the Punisher on in the inside pages

Irrelevant, I'm not talking about the Punisher inside the pages
>>
>>81003826
Best acting in capeshit since Ledger's Joker. He was fucking stellar and that cemetery monologue is one of the MCU's highlights so far.
>>
>>81032616
The point is, both versions are physically intimidating and are not small people. Which was my initial point - MAX Frank is not a manlet. And Berthnal doesn't quite pull off MAX Frank.
>>
Sequel when?
https://youtu.be/ng2KKzrxrQo
>>
>>81032702

Bernthal isn't a manlet though.
>>
>>81007676
This. That was great, I agree
>>
>>81020535
will he ever recover?
>>
>>81009081
>Best supporting performance I've seen on a TV show in years.
I thought the same
>>
>>81032809
He's under 6ft. He's a manlet.
>>
>>81032994
>tfw Frank Castle becomes an Emmy-winning character
>>
>>81025652
Body language was great too, loved how one of his hands would always shake when he got really mad
>>
>>81031262
That could be good
>>
>>81007676
>Karen with a gun pointed at her
>Starts the car
>Shining Star starts playing
That was fucking great.
>>
>>81032761

Probably never, especially since it was supposed to be a loose sequel to the Thomas Jane film.

And I doubt we'll get a wholly new game either, considering how Marvel has all but abandoned console gaming.
>>
>>81003826
I think he did a good job. The only thing I didn't like is that he didn't portray the character as being very smart. While the guy is definitely a bull in a china shop, he hasn't stayed alive so long without being intelligent.
>>
>>81030365
>dat bloody skull logo
I did not notice that at first glance.
>>
>>81003826
Absolutely. Based Bernthal.
>>
Hit him with the cofee pot.
YES YES YE-

NOW STAB HIM WIT-
FUCK YES I LOVE YOU FRANK/10
>>
>>81023679
no, janes punisher had his family die in a boat killed by specific people and warzone had a flashback to the central park scene, holding his dead daughter.
>>
One shot. One kill.
>>
>>81034036

I wasn't saying WZ was a sequel.
>>
Are any of the punisher comics actually good? Total newfag here. He seems a bit "high speed low drag nothing personal, kid," but a superhero in marvel that actually kills people sounds at the very least like an interesting read
>>
>>81007676
did you realize karen car was Ben's? She inherited the tapes.
>>
>>81034215
He seems he'd get kind of formulaic after a while. Like he'd be better off as a supporting character like in Daredevil than trying to support a book of his own.
>>
>>81034297
Ok. Are there QTDDTOT threads here? I'm looking for a comic about an operator with guns that's actually decent. Just somewhere to start comics that fits with my /k/ autist side
>>
File: Pun Chart.png (4 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Pun Chart.png
4 MB, 1600x1200
>>81034215

Quality is all over the place, as to be expected of a character who has been around for about 40+ years.

This chart is a good enough start, though there's a few things I'd add to it if I knew how.
>>
Anyone have the comic page of Punisher with the gun seller describing the gun that "franks"?
>>
>>81006287
this
>>
>>81003826
He's a Manlet and a bad actor

Its so insulting to frank
>>
>>81003826
He was considerably more
>>
He's a Jew so No

Dropped!!!!!
>>
>>81003826
I wanted more Punisher on Ninja Slaughter.
>>
>>81032167
For you
>>
>>81006677
Shane is pretty much Frank
>>
>>81011738
tbf he was over selling it in that scene to make sure he was put in a prison with Criminal scum
>>
File: rrrrekty rekt.png (44 KB, 133x200) Image search: [Google]
rrrrekty rekt.png
44 KB, 133x200
>>81020535
fuuck
>>
>>81025842
You've got to, mango
no other way
>>
>>81034215
MAX
>>
>>81008452
Not even Manlet size, not huge like the comics, but I but into the realism that shorter scrappier grunts make the best soldiers, better at Guerilla warfare, and he mainly uses firearms so its believable. You need everyone to be Arnold Swarzenegger cause you have a limited mental capacity.
>>
>>81030574
>That last picture of Frank standing among the corpses of the Viet Cong
>And his unit
>And everyone else

God, seeing that adapted to television would make my dick rock hard
>>
>>81019115
Bernthal has the perfect face though. He could use a bit of bulking up but otherwise he was a lot more closer the the MAX Punisher than Stevenson ever was along with having the far superior acting chops under his belt. Stevenson doesn't even compare.
>>
>>81034215

Garth Ennis' run on Punisher MAX is easily one of the best runs the Big Two have ever published
>>
>>81023189
But Punisher only fighting aliens and robots is retarded. He's a street level character and should only fight full-blown super villains very rarely if ever.
>>
>>81036228
>All those dead Muslims

It will be beautiful
>>
Does Punisher have any long running recurring villains or are all of them just dead after one appearance? Who is his Joker?
>>
>>81006428
>tfw Italian and 6'3
Tip top tier genetics desu senpai
>>
>>81036740

Jigsaw is really the only one he's got.

There have been memorable villains but they tend not to last long.
>>
>>81036740
Baracuda. He's basically anti-frank.
>>
>>81025428
>who else interpreted him as actually dying from that headshot and being reincarnated by Death?
Stop that. Stop that right fucking now. Frank doesn't need some supernatural bullshit to explain how he became to be. He doesn't need bullshit like demons or a physical manifestation of Death hamfisted into his origin. The most I'm willing to accept is something like Born because it can easily be handwaved as it just being a voice in his head and be just as believable. Anything else is fucking retarded and has no business being apart of the character.
>>
>>81036932

He was only around for 11 issues though
>>
>>81037012
>The most I'm willing to accept is something like Born because it can easily be handwaved as it just being a voice in his head and be just as believable.

And you can interpret his recovery from the headshot as just that, a recovery. But it's more interesting for Born to have a supernatural element.
>>
>>81037061
No it fucking isn't you faggot. MAX Frank has no business dealing with anything cape or supernatural.
>>
>>81018880
They really want to make Frank into Big Boss, don't they? Wearing an eye patch in the comics, has that hole in his skull in this show, was in the Middle East on overt ops, one of his former comrades even lost an arm.
>>
File: 1420928524767.jpg (100 KB, 465x342) Image search: [Google]
1420928524767.jpg
100 KB, 465x342
https://youtu.be/uDYiDrnQQlk
>>
>That epic monologue about the graveyard when he kept saying, "You know" when talking about his daughter to Matt
>Killing the pedophile
>I am the punisher
>Sounds like a party
>I'm already dead

Wew stellar casting and acting
>>
>>81037112

False. Born dealt with the supernatural explicitly.
>>
>>81025652
I really liked home during the scene where he and Karen are talking in the diner you can see a reflection of light in his eyes despite the shadow from his hat, and how it goes away once the buick arrives.
>>
>>81037534
When? That a voice in Frank's head said it was death?
>>
>>81020535
damn
>>
>>81033048
>You can win an Emmy for violence, grunts, sad, and pain.
What a time to be alive.
>>
>>81037593

It umambiguously featured a spiritual entity of some kind. Who/what that entity is was left ambiguous, but the fact that it exists does not. The whole "It's in Frank's mind" is a faulty interpretation that is at odds with the text.
>>
I would go as far as to say that he may be the best live action Punisher we've seen so far. Easily my favorite part of Season 2.
>>
>>81036702
And Kurds, and Americans, and probably some Sikhs too.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.