[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
X-men Reboot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: Rightclopsandfriends.jpg (217 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Rightclopsandfriends.jpg
217 KB, 1600x1200
Okay, they decided to scrap all the x-men shit. It isn't going back to Marvel and will still be it's own thing. How do you reboot it.

>What characters
>What villain
>What story
>origin or established x-men
>how would the world view mutants
>how would you set up future films
>any dream casting?
>>
File: 9ikRHOI.jpg (596 KB, 600x2571) Image search: [Google]
9ikRHOI.jpg
596 KB, 600x2571
You need a balance between the actual active X-Men roster, and the students in the school. They are not one and the same, and they have different interactions with eachother.
You also need to show the actual fear and disdain that humans have for mutants. For this, I suggest using the Purifiers. Have them be murdering the fuck out of mutants and have the stakes be real. They're not getting depowered, they're being killed.

Either go with the 90's or Astonishing roster. Point is, Cyclops needs to be the leader, and he needs to not be mind controlled or killed in the first act. Wolverine, Xavier, and Magneto all need to be in the back seat and supporting characters. The temptation to put them in the spotlight must be held back.

They could get into Morlock stuff too, I suppose.
>>
>>81001252
Oh, and I forgot the most important thing, GIVE EVERYONE THEIR GODDAMN COSTUMES! NO MORE BLACK LEATHER SHIT!
Christ, Psylocke and Mags look so out place since they have the only unique costumes.
>>
>>81000830

Normal humans should fear mutants for the same reason peasants feared machines, the fear of being replaced, being turned obsolet, they shouldnt fear them because of irrational hatred, their fear should make sense.
Mutants should be a hated minority, but a priviledged one.
>>
File: 672669-sketchaday8_1.jpg (305 KB, 891x662) Image search: [Google]
672669-sketchaday8_1.jpg
305 KB, 891x662
Wolverine with guest appearances from the X-Men
>>
>>81002496
This
>>
>>81002496
>>81002556
Die.
>>
File: 1456811756180.jpg (333 KB, 500x693) Image search: [Google]
1456811756180.jpg
333 KB, 500x693
>>81000830
I`d like to see a more relaxed side of the mutant culture. A small local mutant service outside of New York, helping mutants and non-mutants with the inconveniences of mutant culture using less exciting abilities. Maybe there could be a grand story like solving murder mysteries or getting a friend from joining radicals but it`s got to build up on them with smaller jobs. The field workforce should have Mutants and humans, (3 humans or every one mutant), and the headquarters should have like three or four scientist to move certain stories along with out needing to call for cross-over help to often.
>>
JUST DONT MAKE THEIR COSTUMES ALL BLACK, OR TACTICOOL
>>
First off, start with the actual first class. Professor X leading Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, Angel, and Jean Grey. Set it in the 70's or so.

Not sure on who the villain would be, but I would have fun with it instead of making it angsty and broody. The world doesn't know mutants yet, so that anti-mutant mentality hasn't permeated the universe yet.

If that works out well, I would set each sequel ten years after the previous with a constant threat strung throughout, like Apocalypse. So 2 in the 80's, 3 in the 90's/00's, 4 in the present, and finish with 5 set in the future. Mimic the Harry Potter franchise where the first start off light and fun, but get darker as the series progresses.
>>
Basically a movie version of 90's cartoon X-Men. Use the same team of adult X-Men as from the cartoon and add a few students besides Jubilee to round out the school, maybe just grab all the Gen X kids + Illyana to make it simple.

I like >>81001252 idea of having purifiers as villains as it lets up introduce Magneto as a sympathetic villain without needing him to play "bad guy, then good, then bad again" like in the current movie verse.

Movie 1: X-men recruit children to protect them while Purifiers try to kill everyone. Magneto shows up at the midway point after the Purifiers murder some mutant children to make them pay. He tries to convince Charles to have the X--Men join them to end this threat, Charles tries to convince him to join them protect mutants. Final fight is Magneto vs Purifiers with the X-Men trying to stop both from killing each other and minimize collateral damage. Movie ends with edited version of the fight used as propaganda by remaining Purifiers, resulting in mutants being labeled a national security threat.
>>
>>81000830
Turn them into Inhumans
>>
>>81011426 cont'd

Movie 2: Humans try to find effective ways to combat mutants leading to the Sentinel program and Master Mold. Master Mold is the villain who eventually turns on humans and mutants. Magneto is in the movie forming the Brotherhood as a pro-active alternative to the X-Men, cameos from Hellfire Club. Senator Kelly (introduced in Movie 1, major role in 2) is big proponent of Sentinels and ends up being saved by the X-Men in the finale. Master Mold kidnaps Xavier + Cerebro in an attack on the mansion in order to ID all mutants/mutant powers in order to make extermination more efficient. Brotherhood + X-Men launch rescue mission. Magneto betrays the X-Men in the end and takes control of the Sentinels to kill all humans, X-Men stop them and become heroes.

Movie 3: X-Men vs Brotherhood. Magneto has gone full "you're either with us or against us" mode and is attempting to hold the Earth ransom by messing with Earth's magnetic field. X-Men + the students must work together while recruiting new allies to stop the Brotherhood and a more powerful then ever Magneto.
>>
>>81000830
Start with the original 5 first villain is mimic
We never really have a proper origin for them I love a good coming all together movie.
Show how actually threatening mutants are and how basically they are gods amongst human. Keep the story small all about what would realistically would happen if there are mutants in this world
2nd will be the living island inciden were xavier and Scott will recruit the 2nd gen of x men.
3rd Phoenix saga space adventures
4th dark Phoenix saga
>>
Avengers go even nicer, become rated G
Spider-Man goes rated PG-13
X-Men go rated R
All deliberately
As originally intended
BUT
The MCU gets its own gimmick on these three property lines,

In the MCU the Xmen and the Avengers are on two separate timelines and they both have a Spider-Man,
Spider-Man is the bridge.

There you go, novel and yet traditional at the same time. You're welcome.
>>
I'd make it a tv series, since film really isn't the format to adequately explore the ideas that make it a worthwhile property in depth.
>>
I don't know much about the X-men but I'd make it student focused.
>>
>>81000830
Just one thing: FUCK this mutants are ennemis/devil/whatever bullshit. Really.
Oh, and BTW: FUCK this There will not be any more mutants in the futur.
>>
>>81000830
Open with Xavier's funeral. through split second flashbacks establish that a rogue super sentinal attacked the school (which was on Genosha in this continuity) and wiped out hundreds, jean went full pheonix in retaliation and choke slammed it into the sun, is now missing presumed dead. that the sentinal was there at all has been completly covered up, the official story is that an unnamed mutant (Jean) lost control of their powers and exploded, which was used to push the registration act getting passed. Cyke has taken leadership of the x-Men.

Incognito Magneto contacts Cyke with a warning that none of this was an accident.

From there it's a loose adaption of Joss's X-Men, Schism, and AvX, with all the retardation ironed out and Cyke depicted as toeing the line rather than literally hitler by the narrative.

there was never a House of M, mutants being on the decline is just the result of systematic genocide by various hate groups. Replace the Avengers with an ersatz group of tech reliant supersoldiers. the first thing Scott does after getting the Pheonix Force is cause the number of mutants born to sky rocket, which causes the world to shit its pants. the big bad behind everything is the High Evolutionary who is manipulating world events to see if mutants will sink or swim, so to speak.

yes, it's literally a fix fic for the past decade or so of X comics
>>
Too many retards who want to make Wolverine a backing character. Nobody gives a shit about Summers. Logan is the second most famous Marvel character and you need to deal with that... He simply needs to be recast with a shorter actor.
>>
>>81000830

My idea is to go full Silver/Bronze Age here, to distance themselves from the Singer movies and because the audience today clearly loves weird, zany crap in their capeshit.

Movie 1: about the early days of the X-Men, but don't go into individual origin stories
>Set it in the late 70s/early 80s
>Tone should be something like Kingsman - old-school over-the-top action movie, flamboyant villain and zero self-deprecation (no "what were you expecting, yellow spandex?" type shit)
>Go with Magneto and the Brotherhood as villains (Toad, Blob, Mastermind, QS/SW?) but set Magneto up as a very sympathetic figure, do the whole friendly enemy angle from the get go

Movie 2: Transitioning to the Wein/Claremont team
>Mid/late 80s
>The original team disbanded a while ago to pursue normal lives, with some success
>Scott and Jean broke up along the way
>Massive mutant activity in the middle of the ocean gets the Prof to assemble the gang
>They investigate, it's a fucking sentient island (yes, I'm proposing Krakoa, because it would be different and innovative and we've never had a superhero/kaiju crossover film)
>They get captured, except for Cyclops
>Rough adaptation of Giant-Size X-Men
>The ANAD team discovers Krakoa is basically mindless and is being controlled by Count Nefaria and his Ani-Men (yeah, I fucking went there)
>They fight, the X-Men win, Thunderbird dies heroically, you know the drill
>In order to save the X-Men from Krakoa, though, Jean taps into a cosmic force
>Jean and Scott back together
>after-credits sequence is set in the Savage Land, and the surviving Ani-Men report back to their true master and the man behind these events, Mr. Sinister, who has reasons for wanting the X-Men together

cont.
>>
I never understood where the logic that X-men's issue were due to interacting with the larger Marvel Universe as a whole. X-men has been fully capable of telling good and bad stories on it's own without any Marvel Universe involvement. Maybe the Avenger crossover left a lot of bad tastes in people's mouths but that had nothing to do with it inherently being a Marvel event, it had to to do with it being poorly written. They've had plenty of stories that ignored the Marvel Universe at large without taking them out of it completely and they were written just fine. You want to fix the X-men. Write them well. Write them consistently. Trim back on Scott Summer's alternate future descendants. Have a concrete narrative that doesn't change at the whims of the next random writer.

If I were in charge I wouldn't have them separate from Marvel, but I'd put the X-men franchise under the power of one writer and editor team. Comics change with writers, and that's inevitable. But X-men are closely related enough that they require constancy between books. And that's the biggest flaw with the X-men. You have so many books written by so many people that there doesn't feel like "Authors's so-and-so's 5 year plan for X-men" They're at the whims of whoever writes an issue. When Superior Spider-man came out you didn't have Peter in one book and Doc Ock in another or have someone ignore what was happening in the other books unless it was some kind of special. But that happens all of the time in X-men. There needs to be one editor/author/whatever in charge of X-men lore that everyone else has to go through to maintain consistency.
>>
>>81000830
>What characters
Xavier & Jean, pushing for peace and unification between man and mutant
Storm, running the academy
Cyclops, leading the X-team
Wolverine, being a loner but still on every squad

>What villain
Magneto, pushing for armament and isolation because war is inevitable

>What story
The place of a new "race" in the world, and the threat they pose, along with standard outsider. The recent awakening of mutants has basically put Earth on the galactic map so to speak and now humanity is learning just how NOT alone they are, and always have been.

>origin or established x-men
Established

>how would the world view mutants
Depends on the introduction incident as every nation found out about mutants differently and that experience colored their viewpoint.

>how would you set up future films
Phone calls or texts or telepathy between "Sir Not Appearing In This Film" who is busy with interesting shit. I wouldn't make a movie about the school though, that's television material.
>>
>>81012233
Movie 3: The Dark Phoenix Saga
>Same time period
>The X-Men fight small mook-tier enemies (think Unus the Untouchable and shit), while Jean grows more distant as time goes on
>Hellfire Club revealed as behind this, they want to use Jean's power, Mastermind shows up again, you've read the story (Kitty shows up along the way as a potential HC recruit, Jean/Emma mind battle)
>I'd cut the Shi'Ar out entirely as that would make the movie too long and crowded, end with Dark Phoenix Jean killing herself after nearly destroying the X-Men and Cyclops leaving after the funeral (Magneto attends to pay his respects)
>Kitty joins the team as Cyclops leaves

Movie 4: God Loves, Man Kills
>very late 80s, the world is changing rapidly, and a prominent televangelist is using the confusion and fear to stoke hatred of mutants
>Make this one darker, sort of examine paranoia and fear of the unknown and how those can lead to persecution of minority groups, have the Morlocks represent the forced exclusion side of mutants (X-Men as a social allegory in full swing)
>Magneto/Charles ideological conflict becomes super important, Erik ends up helping against Stryker and the Purifiers

Movie 5: Mutant Massacre
>a bit later, early 90s
>adapt the plot, have the O4 guest-star to help out (no X-Factor in this version, Jean still dead)
>Morlocks massacred by the Marauders
>Kitty, Kurt and Piotr end up decommissioned
>X-Men discover Sinister's role, who reveals he was responsible for getting the X-Men back together a few years ago because he needed Scott and Jean together to sire the ultimate mutant
>Jean's death delayed his plans but he's found a workaround
>Reveal he's cloned Jean (clone's name is Maddie), the X-Men fight him, Maddie and the Marauders
>Cyclops gets Maddie to break free of Essex's brainwashing
>end scene is all the X-Men together again (slightly worse for wear)
>Sinister revealed to still be alive, talks about "The Twelve" ushering in an apocalypse
>>
>>81012485
By the way, Rogue joins in 4 and Gambit in 5 (after credits reveal he's secretly Sinister's double agent, though possibly unwillingly)
>>
>>81000830
O5, MAYBE throw Storm in there because I like her.
Mister Sinister
X-Men find out about this guy who's been experimenting on mutants and they have to stop him.
Established X-Men. You don't need anything more than a couple lines about Xavier's place being a "safe house and school for young mutants".
World is scared of mutants, maybe some hate groups but it's not like everyone thinks they're fucking disgusting. Uneasiness, I think.
Namor is there, maybe as a test subject who is rescued? That might be a bad idea though. Maybe Xavier mentions Magneto in a lecture.
I want actual costumes. Or just the original uniform.
Dream casting. No clue. I think the ones they have are pretty good. My movie could have been perfect after First Class.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.