[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the things that bug you the most in webcomics? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1448573933158.jpg (49 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
1448573933158.jpg
49 KB, 500x666
What are the things that bug you the most in webcomics?
What are an authors biggest mistakes?
What ruins a webcomic for you, to the point of dropping it?
What are your most hated authors and why?
>>
>>80984018
yes.
>>
>>80984018
>tfw aspiring webcomic artist
>tfw there is nothing I'll ever be able to do to avoid complaints spurred by these questions
>>
>we're being shitty... On purpose!
>>
Bad work ethic, bad attitude towards critics and fans alike, and bad business management if they get a kick starter funded.
>>
political soapboxing
>>
>>80984018
Not knowing how to FINISH a story. A lot of them just keep going on and on way after it has clearly lost any aim. I hate it when a webcomic meanders because the writer clearly has no fucking clue where he wants the story to go.

A clear symptom of this is when arcs keep getting longer and longer, and everything that happens takes way more time than it needs to.
>>
>>80984279
stop projecting your political beliefs into your comics, Danny.
>>
>>80984018
There is this webcomic, Bear Nuts, that I follow that only updates with one page once a week. I wish they updated 2-3 times a week instead.
>>
>>80984018
memes.
>>
I'm having a hard time thinking of anything unique to webcomics that I wouldn't say about any other storytelling medium. I suppose the one more or less unique thing with webcomic is hiatuses, but that isn't something that will make me drop a webcomic by itself. It just gives me time to realize that I was reading out of habit rather than actual enjoyment and to remove it from my list. If I genuinely like a webcomic I'll gladly put up with long hiatuses.

As far as common complaints in storytelling (and what I tend to drop webcomics over):
Make sure your set-ups and payoffs are tonally consistent and of similar magnitudes, or have a very good reason not to.
Character and setting consistency are more important than plot; making a character act like an idiot/asshole or randomly introducing new setting features to create drama and/or advance the plot is really fucking annoying. Make your plot work with your characters, not the other way around.
Foreshadow. If you're going to have a serious threat or ally, don't introduce them without warning on page 1500. If someone is going to play a big role in the story, have them included as early as possible, either directly as a character or subtly with hints and references.
Don't worldbuild on the fly (ie fuck power creep). This ties into foreshadowing; if you have someone/thing established as the strongest person/group around, don't immediately introduce something bigger the next chapter after their defeated. If you're going to give things power levels, make sure to give them context so that you don't have a string of progressively stronger "strongest men alive."
>>
Giving every single character a tragic/sad childhood. Jesus Christ, I am tired of that shit in the webcomic I am reading.
>>
NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENING.
I don't even give a shit if you introduce some shitty plot or drama, just make something fucking happen. I don't mind a slow burn but make that pay off. I am somehow not even talking about QC but this is my biggest complaint. I will at least trudge through a shitty arc and story as long as something is going on.
>>
>>80984291
I don't want readers to sexualize my characters.
>>
>>80984018
It doesn't really bug me, but the formats disappoint me. So many are just rectangles with four panels in them, and that's not BAD, it's just a holdover from the papers that doesn't need to be used any more. They're using a medium that pretty much has no limitations in how to structure a comic and creators still stick to the same formula over and over.
>>
When the MC is an obvious self-insert for the writer, and the comic itself it just a platform for them to get back at people they disagree with.
>>
>>80984397
This. It's one of the main reasons I hate Questionable Content: it's going absolutely fucking nowhere and there's no end in sight.
>>
>>80984018
>Found out about Outsider a few years back
>Almost 15 years old
>Only 111 pages

Fucking hell.
>>
>>80984817
good luck on that,
>>
>>80985488
should read berserk, senpai
>>
>>80985570
I do. Or rather, I don't. I wait. The creater too fucking busy doing double-pages and art books.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.