[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starman thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1.jpg (79 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
79 KB, 640x480
/co/ what would you say the appeal of Robinson Starman is? What exactly makes it such a must-read?

I want to give reading it another go now but figure I need to adjust my expectations first.
>>
It's pretty nostalgic.
>>
Just read it, if you don't like it you don't like it... no big deal, why force it?
>>
>>80927793
I didn't like Preacher at first, then one /co/ comment about how Ennis' writing is about camaraderie instead of epic set pieces later I breezed through it and had a grand old time doing so.
Just saying, context can help with one's enjoyment of things.
>>
Honestly? It's a competent comic. That's it. It's a pretty fun read with nothing to bitch about it.
>>
File: The Shade06.jpg (431 KB, 1200x1887) Image search: [Google]
The Shade06.jpg
431 KB, 1200x1887
>>80927566
It has James Robinson writing the Shade. That's about it.
>>
Wasn't there some buzz a while back about DC finally bringing out volume 3 on paperback?
>>
>>80929715

Yeah it comes out in June iirc, it was in the solicit
>>
>>80929715
How many omnis has it got?
>>
>>80933072
It's six omnis, which includes the first Shade mini and the Hellboy crossover.

>>80928854
I'd say it's about legacy and growing into a role/growing up in general; the setting of Opal City itself is also an appealing one.
>>
>>80927566
I'm not the type to dwell on what makes a book work but here's some things Starman has going for it.
Thought out setting and art direction.
Cast of fleshed out supporting characters.
Sense of history. Exploring the other Starmen.
And Jack is a different kind of MC. He doesn't really want to be a hero, it just sort of becomes required of him. Plus he's kind of identifiable what with him being a collector and all.
And best of all, except for that one Captain Marvel crossover everything is contained in just one title with no editorially mandated events interfering with the story.
>>
>>80927566

During the 90s, DC really emphasized legacy, and Starman was pretty much James Robinson's love letter to DCs Golden Age. It's a book that celebrates the history of DC, and is also a story about growing up and shit. Also, Opal City is one of the most unique settings in super-hero comics.
>>
>>80934785
>was pretty much James Robinson's love letter to DCs Golden Age

Not really.

It is a snarky backhanded bash against capeshit. Not as overt as the rest of the Brit Boys usually but its more contempt than construction. Jack does makes a more nuanced self-insert than Constantine but the Shade's omnipresence gets old real fucking quick.

Good supporting cast though & great art.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.