[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC comics thread. All things DC! Favorite runs/stories? Favorite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 1024x1024
DC comics thread.
All things DC!

Favorite runs/stories?

Favorite lesser known gems?

Worst of the worst?

Do you prefer pre crisis, post crisis, or new 52?
>>
Inb4 Rebirth
>>
I read the first two trades for New 52 Flash and I really liked it, but I heard it kinda fell off.

Is this true?
>>
>/co/
>reading comics
>>
>man of murder
>>
>>80926829
Why do you constantly create shill threads?
>>
>>80927706
t. Indiean
>>
>>80926963
Is there a greater fall off than going from Francis Manapaul to Brett Booth
>>
>>80927760
Yeap, going from Paul Dini to Tony Bernard to Peter Galloway
>>
File: 2000px-DC_Bullet_(SVG).svg.png (386 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
2000px-DC_Bullet_(SVG).svg.png
386 KB, 2000x2000
This is definitively the best DC logo
>>
At what age did you guys grow out of DC?

For me, it was about 16 years old.
I started getting girls and realised that dc, metal and all the other edgy shit were behind me.
>>
File: 1442622405485.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1442622405485.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
I REALLY like the Omega Men
>>
>>80928055
>growing out of Superman: Secret Identity

not possible
>>
>>80928055
14. Got really tired of all the powerlevel wanking
>>
Last good DC run was Court of Owls

I Love DC

But seriously their non animated movies BLOW
They are BAD and any DC fan like myself who defends then is delusional

We Deserve a Better DCMU
>>
>>80928055
I was 6.
>>
File: 20160314_013412.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160314_013412.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
Not going to lie, I'm pretty casual when it comes to DC, but, here we go, this is my dc shelf, what I haven't collected yet is:
>Gotham City Sirens
>No Man's Land
>GCPD
>New Teen Titans
>Kingdom Come
>Flashpoint: Batman
>>
>>80928087
>Superman: Secret Identity
Man, I was crying at the end of that thing and I don't even know why.
I felt like he got the short end of the stick or something like that.
>>
>>80926829
>Favorite runs/stories?
Morison Doom Patrol, Enigma, Saga of The Swamp Thing

>Favorite lesser known gems?
Hm, I loved the Nocenti Kid Eternity run. Ghostdancing. I don't think Batman Shaman gets enough mentions as it should, I prefer it over Year One.

>Worst of the worst?
I don't know

>Do you prefer pre crisis, post crisis, or new 52?
I don't care
>>
>>80928164

Hello Marvelfriend!
>>
>>80926829
>Favorite runs/stories?
Batman: Hush, Green Lantern Rebirth, Superman: Last Son, Braniac
New 52 Flash before it got fugged
>Worst of the worst?
The current WW run
Post Crisis
>>
>>80928055
I was in the womb.
>>
>>80928055
I started browsing /co/ in 2009, and about that time I started reading some DC.

I quit about three months later because DC fans proved to be the worst fandom on this board and I don't want to be one of them.
>>
>>80931405
>fandom
We don't want you either.
>>
been reading sword of sorcery and enjoying it. I've also been meaning to read demon knights. Shame they didn't do too well.
>>
File: 1418184257118 - Copy.jpg (132 KB, 1500x500) Image search: [Google]
1418184257118 - Copy.jpg
132 KB, 1500x500
I know /co/ is gonna be unbearable for the next month at the least, but I saw this appreciation thread and figured it'd be free from bullshit. Too bad I was wrong.

Let's turn it around, shall we?

I want to say that there are a lot more DC eras than just pre/post-Crisis and New 52. Pre-Crisis alone is way more than just the Silver Age. Golden Age is very different, Bronze Age DC is very distinct from BA Marvel in a lot of ways, and even SA can be broken into a couple different eras of tone.

Additionally post-Crisis typically refers up to Zero Hour, post-Zero Hour refers up to Infinite Crisis, and pre-Flashpoint refers to IC up to Flashpoint, all really different from each other.

Post-Crisis actually has a lot of similarities with New 52 in how it was a slight clusterfuck with some stuff getting totally rebooted and some stuff just continuing on from pre-Crisis, most of what people think of as "post-Crisis" is actually closer to Zero Hour where a lot of problems were cleaned up (which hopefully will be repeated with Rebirth).

I kind of sense a lot of DC noobs in this thread (nothing wrong with that of course) so if anyone has any questions, I'm kind of a DC fanatic.
>>
>>80931405
>DC pandering to old white men
>>>/tumblr
>>
>>80926829
>Favorite Runs/stories

Johns' JSA, Robinson's Starman, Ostrander's Spectre, Ennis' Hitman, and most of what Morrison has written for the universe.

>Favorite lesser known gems
Shadowpact was a fun little team book that I'd love to see revived, but DC is doing fuck all with their magic-based characters and properties at the moments.

>Worst of the worst

I'm a major JSA fan, so the period of time when Willingham and Guggenheim were writing the series is pretty emblematic in general of what DC immediately before the New 52 reboot was in pretty fucking dire straits.

>Do you prefer pre crisis, post crisis or new 52
Post crisis, but there's a lot to love of pretty much all the different periods of the DCU.
>>
>>80928055

Fuck man I grew INTO the DCU. I started as a Vertigo fag and it took me a bit to get into the superhero side of things and I love it now.
>>
Is Under The Red Hood a good comic arc?

I know /co/ doesn't like Winnick, but the movie seems liked.
>>
>>80933225

The animated movie version is actually better than the comic series, because in the movie they write the actual cause behind Jason Todd coming back in a much better way.

The comic hinges on cosmic event bullshit and doesn't make all that much sense.
>>
>>80933490
Too bad but eh, I already bought it. Gonna read anyway. I like Mahnke.
>>
>>80933589

Go for it man. Make your own opinions. That one's just mine.
>>
File: image.jpg (325 KB, 700x1058) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
325 KB, 700x1058
Recent reads?

I really enjoyed this.
>>
The problem I find with DC generally is that whenever things even slightly start going wrong for them, they are want to try and 'fix' it as fast as possible and pull the rug out from what is going on at the time. Also they seemed to way more obsessed with their Past these days.

But then again I don't really care because I don't generally read comics out of an obligation to certain characters so if DC or Marvel for that matter aren't doing anything interesting there are always more comics to read.
>>
I recently read Morrison's Doom Patrol and im just starting his Animal Man, im also reading Ostrander's Suicide Squad.
I want to read some good JLA runs, i've read Morrison's JLA a while ago and loved it.
My favorite hero is the big red cheese himself, Captain Marvel, and i think The New52 kinda helped the character getting rid of the mess pre-New52 (i think the last thing that happened was that Black Adam and Iris became statues and The Wizard told Billy and Mary to fuck off forever).
>>
Crisis on Infinite Earth
Please someone tell me the core conflict summed up in five words or less
>>
>>80935384
>I want to read some good JLA runs, i've read Morrison's JLA a while ago and loved it.

Waid and Kelly's runs are both pretty good.

I'm also a fan of Johns' League in the New 52 past about Throne of Atlantis.
>>
>>80935435
cosmic evil threatens DC universe
>>
>>80935435
>five words or less

Good Guys stop universe's destruction

Now if you want an accurate fucking summary
>Anti-Monitor is eating universes. The survivors of this attack are brought together by the Monitor to stop him, and eventually succeed in saving one world, which incorporates aspects of five previously separate ones.
>>
>>80935384
I would say skip over what Waid does and jump into what Kelly and Mahnke do

It is IMO a better distillation of what Morrison does than Morrison does it.
>>
>>80935435
Worlds Live, Worlds Die!

Didn't need all 5
>>
>>80935384
Englehart's justice league was great as well.
>>
>>80932362
>Fuck man I grew INTO the DCU. I started as a Vertigo fag and it took me a bit to get into the superhero side of things and I love it now.

Same here. Except I stopped reading superhero comics after they fucked up Cassandra Cain back nine years ago.
>>
Can someone reccomend me some good Batgirl? Non-Babsgirl, Steph and Cassandra only
>>
>>80929565
It's my favorite comic.
>>
bumpin
>>
>>80928164
Jesus that's casual
>>
>>80926829
>Favorite runs/stories?
Hitman
Morrison Animal Man
Giffen/Dematteis JLI
Kelly JLA
O'Neil Batman
Superman Beyond 3D
Secret Six
Aztek
Legends of the Dark Knight (best Batman title ever and goes completely untalked-about)
Johns Booster Gold
Ostrander Martian Manhunter
Manhunter (Simonson, Ostrander, Andreyko)
>Worst of the worst?
Identity Crisis
Anything written by Jurgens post 2000
Like all for different reasons
>>
New 52 Sword of Sorcery.
>>
>>80926963
Only after the 4th trade. It is the biggest falloff I have ever seen as well. Current Flash is so bad it hurts.
>>
>>80941914
>Favorite lesser known gem
>Aztek

But even Morrison and Millar agree that the ongoing was a complete clusterfuck and not very good.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.