[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Superman Returns flop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: why.png (456 KB, 1662x711) Image search: [Google]
why.png
456 KB, 1662x711
/co/, why was Superman Returns such a commercial failure even if it was critically better-received than Man of Steel?

Does the public actually want gritty, dark grimfests now? Could a Superman movie that has the same tone as the Donnor films even work anymore?
>>
Because it was boring. It was a two and a half hour wank fest for the old Donner movies.

If I wanted to watch the Donner Superman movies, I'd watch the Donner Superman movies.
>>
>>80910934
Does this confirm that critics will never be able to assess the quality of a Superman movie because they all just want the Donner films?
>>
>>80910825
You've got the box office's switched.
>>
>>80911129
Shit. I had one job.
>>
>>80910825
Lack of action and a Clark that's even more dull than Man of Steel's. All it has going for it is the amazing plane rescue scene.
>>
>>80911041
No, if anything it means they'll see right through a transparent attempt to emulate the Donner movies. Superman Returns had none of the heart or fun of those movies.
>>
>>80911041

critics are pretty bad at assessing capeshit in general
>>
>>80910825
It was deemed a financial failure because it had to absorb a decade of production cost from failed Superman movies stretching back to the 90s with Tim Burton's Superman lives, to JJ's Flyby, to Mann's Superman.

WB nixed idea of a sequel, broke ties with Singer, and torpedoed the writer's next movie Trick r Treat.

And Brandon Routh cameod in a Kevin Smith movie as Justin Long's boyfrienD.
>>
>>80911363
And yet it's certified fresh.
>>
>>80910825
It may have just been the worst summer blockbuster I've ever seen in my life. Say what you will for things like the Transformers movies but at least they're trying to entertain SOMEONE. This movie felt like Bryan Singer just trying to entertain himself. The bastard had the gall to make a direct sequel to Superman 2 and ignore 3 and 4. Those may have been bad but at least they were trying to do something different, instead of sucking Donner's dick for 2 hours.
>>
Heres why:
>The film cant decide if its a continuation of the Donner films or its own separate entity in which the film suffers
>Clark leaves earth to double check Krypton is gone. Let that sink in for a minute
>Lex is reduced to sleeping with an old rich woman to get back on his feet post prison release
>Its SO BORING
>Lex has yet ANOTHER land scam plot which is dumb because his new continent is made out of jagged crystal.
>Kryptonite strength varies depending on the plot. Because Clark can lift a giant landmass of it now apparently
>Superkid
The only redeeming scene was the plane rescue
>>
>>80911406
I honestly think it has just as much to do with Bryan singer being sort of a respected director due to Apt Pupil and the Usual suspects while Snyder will always be seen as a hyperactive teenage boy to critics.

Its actually pretty weird the trajectory Singer's career has gone as the X-men movie guy, he was considered one of the most promising young directors in the 90's. If SR came out today I don't think it's get that high of a score.
>>
You guys say what you want about the film being boring, at least Superman went out of his way to save people in Metro during the finale battle vs. Man of Steel where he probably caused millions of deaths. And I'm not talking about the terraforming, I'm talking about his decision to use skyscrapers as part of the battleground.

>B-but this was his first time being a hero!

Doesn't take a genius to figure out that maybe he should have contained the fight to the middle of nowhere grasslands vs. taking the fight to Denny's.
>>
>>80911767
Retconning Last Stand was the most badass thing I've ever seen a director do.
>>
>>80911887
>Hey Im a faggot trying to start ANOTHER MoS debate!
>>
>>80911887
I don't think anyone in this thread has espoused the virtues of Man of steel it's just returns is far worse. It commits the ultimate sin of entertainment. It's uninteresting.
>>
>>80911887
I wonder sometimes if man of murderfags have ever even watched that fight scene. It's like how you all always claim Clark destroys buildings or that the kiss scene comes right after snapping Zod's neck.
>>
>>80910825
Avengers hadn't happened yet.
>>
>>80912063
Zodd and his croonies were only threatening Ma Kent at once point and Supes came in and literally carried him into a populated area. Have you seen the movie?

>>80911945
MoS is in the OP's image, faggot. It's inevitable.
>>
>>80911887

I enjoyed SR a hell of a lot more than MoS, that said the comparison is very unfair. In SR he was dealing with an earthquake so he was able to freely zip around putting out disturbances, in MoS he had Kryptonians pummeling him left and right. Hard to rescue people when you're getting your head kicked in, eh?
>>
>>80911929
It was cool because TLS really was such a waste, but at the same time its starting to come across as..weird? Like he's lording over the empire of X-men movies, and woe be it to anyone who tries to step onto his turf. The wolverine wasn't really bad or anything, but X-Master Singer didn't care about working it in at all. OnlyLord Singer will decide what is fit for the X universe. Its like, please, do something else like the Usual Suspects, you're above this man.
>>
>>80911887
You can say the same shit about any superhero not just superman(hell all action movies). And realize sometimes you just fucking can't. And didn't Donner Superman fight in the middle of the city?
>>
>>80912143
It just gets old man, stoking the fires still makes you a faggot
>>
It still hurts ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CuJ08nwJpA&ab_channel=bboy41290

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY&ab_channel=WarnerBros.Pictures
>>
>>80911041
No. People just aren't interested in seeing the Donner aesthetic being needlessly copied. People aren't demanding a return to the 70's Superman.
>>
>>80911382
I wish he'd cameo as my boyfriend.
>>
>>80912143
>It's inevitable.
And yet you're the one ITT responsible for it.
>>
>>80910825
>It's reverent!
>It's safe!
>It's like those movies of the past!

Most critics are just nostalgic fucks with raging hard-ons for Reeve that can't into another take.
>>
>>80912488
How the fuck can that trailer be so good? How can it present MoS in such a way that it looks like it would actually do justice to the character?
>>
>>80911887
Oh so you have the comprehension of a 5 year old. Ok.
>>
>>80910825
Because it's fucking boring and outdated. And critical acclaim does not guarantee that it will be good or everyone will like it, these guy are just a literal who that claim themselves to be guru about film, movie and shit.

You're retard if you believe everything they said without seeing a movie yourself.
>>
I guess i truly am a bad person with shit taste, only superman movie I've ever enjoyed was man of steel, and yet, I want BvS to fail just to see DC do damage control on their attempt at and DCU
>>
File: image.jpg (420 KB, 1200x1736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
420 KB, 1200x1736
>>80910825
>trusting Rotten Tomatoes
Ugh! Like! Ugh!
Don't you know that Rotten Tomaroes is literally Adolf Hitler??? This is the same website that have Max Landis's movies (yes THE Max Landis) rotten scores!!! This is of course crazy since Max Landis's movies are the greatest movies of the century!!!(Max Landis says so).
Rotten Tomatoes (and criticism) NEEDS to be destroyed!!!!
>>
>>80913132
Well most sadists aren't usually good people in my experience.
>>
>>80913338
I don't get it, couldn't people tell those movies sucked without someone actually telling them?

I realize people are stupid, but did they actually have hopes for any of those movies?
>>
>>80912488
Goddamn that Man of Steel trailer is hype as fuck!, That THEME
>>
>>80913132
>Likes MoS
>Want's BvS to fail
You are an odd duck anon...
>>
>>80913416
The majority of people are stupid anon.
Like, really, really fucking stupid.
Honestly the only film on that list I've even heard of was American Ultra and it looked like shit in the commercials.
>>
>>80914633
Some men just want to watch the world burn.
also
>Zach Snyder
>>
I think people hated Returns because it showed Superman at his weakest.

>Gets cucked by the guy who gets cucked in ever rom-com (Cyclopes)
>Gets ass beaten by Luthor
etc.

MOS was a giant wankfest that let you know Superman is Jesus. It shoved the most well known origin story in your face and had it take up half the movie. And then making Lois Lane the independent "girl power" bad ass...c'mon, this is Lois Lane we're talking about.
>>
>>80911887
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUjI-ERrP3s
>>
>>80918810
>And then making Lois Lane the independent "girl power" bad ass...c'mon, this is Lois Lane we're talking about.
What point are you trying to make?
>>
>>80910825
White male critics enjoyed a stalker, cuckold version of Superman that's boring as fuck and doesn't throw a punch.

Color me surprised.
>>
>>80910825
It's not the tone, it's the Donner fixation

If it was a reboot with the same light tone it would have been better but it relied too much on plot points and imagery from the older movies
>>
Routh could have been fine for a rookie Superman for a real reboot but he looked a lot younger than Reeve and he's supposed to be the same guy but older.
>>
>>80910825
audience of edgy teenagers coulnd't appreciate dormer Superman

Returns was still better

more news at 11
>>
File: Make 'Em Laugh 1952.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Make 'Em Laugh 1952.jpg
47 KB, 1280x720
>>80910825
>Now you could study Shakespeare and be quite elite. And you could charm the critics and have nothing to eat

Endearing pro critics has never had much to do with success amongst the general public. Blockbusters, action movies, horror films, splatterflicks, and popular comedies, like Austin Powers, or anything by Seth McFarlane or Adam Sandler, have always been looked down upon by them.

>>80922394
>teenagers
Those who liked Superman Returns are oldfucks, because most pro critics are, nostalgic over the Donner movies, (and angry about anything that diverges from that like MoS). Most people who aren't middle aged get none of that nostalgia, and aren't wearing rose tinted glasses.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.