[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't there majestic and beautiful moments in cartoons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: 42219738_p1_master1200.jpg (124 KB, 600x516) Image search: [Google]
42219738_p1_master1200.jpg
124 KB, 600x516
Why aren't there majestic and beautiful moments in cartoons anymore?

Think of the end of Lion King when Simba roars in the rain after defeating Scar.

Think of Quasimodo holding Esmerelda above his head at the gates of the Notre Dame while yelling "SANCTUARY!".

Think of Mulan turning around to that crowd of hundreds bowing to her after she saves the Emperor.

A girl might sing a catchy song on a snowy mountaintop, or you might feel bad for a fox and a rabbit, but there's no equivalent to any of the stuff I've listed above. The epicness is missing.

The lamp scene in Rapunzel has nothing on Mufasa appearing in the clouds, or the Huns appearing on the horizon.
>>
>The lamp scene in Rapunzel
>Rapunzel
>>
>>80902182
dammit, didnt realize i was replying to a pasta thread last time, when i agreed with you and explained why
got me good, flash
>>
>>80903746
Nah, I reposted cause I wanna see what other anons think.
>>
OP: "Why did I get older"
>>
Princess and the Frog was meh, but some of the background settings were god damn breathtaking. It made a few moments really stand out.
>>
>the lamp scene in Rapunzel has nothing on Mufasa appearin gin the clouds, or the Huns appearing on the horizon

that's just, like, your opinion, man

Anyway, I disagree with the fundamental notion that a movie would be missing anything because it lacks a big epic climax. Yeah, they're fun, but not every movie needs one. Check out Inside Out, where the emotional climax of the film is just Riley crying with her parents in their living room, or Spirited Away, where Sen teaches Haku his real name as they fly back to the bathhouse. The Secret of Kells, where Brendan returns to the abbey after wandering for years. These emotional climaxes aren't "epic" like the ones you listed, but are just as powerful and emotionally stirring, if not moreso.
>>
File: 1455897721638.jpg (33 KB, 376x299) Image search: [Google]
1455897721638.jpg
33 KB, 376x299
>>80902182
>Lion King
You mean Simba the white lion.
>>
>>80902182
You're doing this again? Ok, last time I told you that you were jaded and broken. I amend that. You are jaded, broken, and autistic.
>>
File: maleficent.gif (1014 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
maleficent.gif
1014 KB, 500x200
No moment in cartoons is as epic as this.
>now you shall deal with me... AND ALL THE POWERS OF HELL!
>>
File: rapunzel leaving the tower.gif (493 KB, 452x240) Image search: [Google]
rapunzel leaving the tower.gif
493 KB, 452x240
>>80902182
I know I'll be whipped for this opinion, but it is more difficult to distinguish a cinematic sequence in a computer-animated film than in a traditionally animated work because computer-animated films put massive detail in all scenes, not just a handful.

In my opinion, the most cinematic shot in Tangled would be the scene where Rapunzel leaps from her tower. The animation expresses the rush & thrill of disobedience.
>>
>>80905395
Too bad her hair looked like taffy. It's going to look even more embarrassing in a couple years as 3D gets better.
>>
File: Queen Elsa Running on Fjord.gif (577 KB, 490x219) Image search: [Google]
Queen Elsa Running on Fjord.gif
577 KB, 490x219
I feel that the most cinematic moments in Disney films are parts that are not showcased during songs. The Rapunzel example above is during a song, but there was no singing for the particular shot.

For Frozen, the sequence where Queen Elsa flees Arendelle by freezing & running across the fjord was most poignant.
>>
I remember finding Up absolutely beautiful, like breath-taking in some of those afternoon shots with the camera panned back.

Actually the whole moment with the house first taking off and all the lights bouncing off the colours and just the kinda joyous rise of it all is definitely super majestic OP
>>
>>80902282
It was called "Raiponce" (Rapunzel) In France and I assume something similar in some other markets too

Is this your first time dealing with non-USA people?
>>
>>80905669
Maybe it's just because I'm a huge sucker for circling shots but the part in Let it Go when she makes the chandelier is breathtaking.
>>
>>80903771
Considering you're downplaying everything past a certain point, most likely related to your childhood, I can well imagine other anons are thinking "nah, not worth it".
>>
>>80902182
Judy and Nick under the bridge is one of the best Disney scenes. You want majesty? The train ride to Zootopia.
>>
>>80903900
I don't know about that. Disney didn't care too much about backgrounds.
>>
3D is uglier and ages poorly.
>>
Train ride to Zootopia

Ralph destroying Vanellope's race car

Anna turning into ice
>>
Disney used to have grand christian spiritual overtones but now they don't.
>>
>>80909693
2D can age just as poorly.
>>
You don't always need a grandiose spectaculars everytime to execute a powerful scene.

Sometimes less is more.
>>
>>80909796
Also in Wreck it Ralph is the scene where Ralph slams into the volcano while reciting the bad guy speech. Not only is that cinematically a very powerful climax but also emtionally impactful as he fully intends to die to save Vanelope
Is that somehow lessened because he is 3D or because he is new?
Fuck no its one of the best scenes in a disney movie
OP needs to fuck off
>>
anyway i forgot what the most powerful scene in BH6 was

i think it was the one where Hiro was having a meltdown over not getting his revenge
>>
>>80909887
Its what happens when you turn around from creating genuine works of art to shitting out films for nickels and dimes.
The fact that they don't do any mainstream 2D work just illustrates how hollow the company is anymore.
>>
File: Sleeping-Beauty-Aurora-2.jpg (182 KB, 850x500) Image search: [Google]
Sleeping-Beauty-Aurora-2.jpg
182 KB, 850x500
>>80910264
Not really. Most old films look fine, some even better than recent 2D productions. A painted 2D background can look beautiful even if it was painted in the 1950s because painting has been perfected over hundreds of years. 3D, not so much.

Sleeping Beauty's look is still just as lovely today as it was in the past decades ago.

Toy Story, however? Aged horribly. And each 3D film just looks worse and worse as technology improves and time marches on.
>>
>>80910435
Except not only did Iron Giant pull that story beat off years earlier, but it did it much better.
>>
>>80910650
The one caveat I would add to this is that Disney's "retouching" of 2D films can and does diminish their quality.
>>
>>80910639
>Its what happens when you turn around from creating genuine works of art to shitting out films for nickels and dimes.
>He thinks disney doesn't do everything for shekels

Go back to licking Laika's boot
>>
>>80910700
Except the situations settings motivations and the entire fucking scene was different you utter fucking mong
>>
The problem is that nothing will ever beat The Lion King as an epic movie because it was an epic movie. The Little Mermaid didn't have any epic scenes really.
>>
>>80902182
>Think of Mulan turning around to that crowd of hundreds bowing to her after she saves the Emperor.
I still tear up every time this happens. I don't care if that makes me a faggot.
>>
>>80910650
>>80910264
Old Disney films are beautiful no doubt, but they feel a bit too theater compared to modern films that take more advantage of the medium. I guess in that regard they haven't aged well.
>>
>>80904395
>Simba the white lion
You mean Jimba the White Lion
>>
File: arnold again.jpg (90 KB, 343x452) Image search: [Google]
arnold again.jpg
90 KB, 343x452
>>80913152
>The problem is that nothing will ever beat The Lion King as an epic movie because it was an epic movie
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuO_yqMEZfc
This shit right here is way better than The Lion King, as an epic movie
>>
>>80904930

and then she got one shotted liked a bitch
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.