[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do women feel about casts that are overwhelmingly male?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: SuperDupers.png (1 MB, 911x662) Image search: [Google]
SuperDupers.png
1 MB, 911x662
How do women feel about casts that are overwhelmingly male?

How do men feel about casts that are overwhelmingly female?
>>
I don't care about gender as long as I find the character(s) entertaining.
>>
>>80881634
Okay, Just don't make the male beta.

If I was woman, Don't make female into a bitch.
>>
Depends. The fujoshis and waifufags will react differently from the rest of the population
>>
>How do women feel about casts that are overwhelmingly male?

"It's what I've had to deal with most of my life, so I guess I can deal with it, though it would be nice to have more variety"

>How do men feel about casts that are overwhelmingly female?

This is triggering me! Tumblr agenda! Tumblr agenda!
>>
>>80881634
What I find weird is that there's almost never a team that's a majority female unless it's specifically designated as am all girl's team like BoP. Like you never get the reverse of the JL where it's 6 girls and one guy.
>>
>>80881725

What's that rule McDuffie had? like more than 2 people start complaining
>>
>>80881770
Didn't a guy try and join the BoP in its last run?
>>
>>80881725
this
>>
>>80881770
LoSH has a lot of female characters and there were times when they were the majority of the team

That might be the only one though
>>
File: 1368508940247.jpg (157 KB, 680x706) Image search: [Google]
1368508940247.jpg
157 KB, 680x706

Feels pretty good mate.
>>
>>80881824
Hawk I think.
>>
>>80881634

No idea

They better be cute and not have a bunch of poop jokes like fucking Bridesmaids
>>
>>80881980
>Tfw the only female relationship in the batman series is gay relationship.
>>
>>80882168
The Batgirls maintained a great platonic friendship with each other.
>>
>>80882168

Birds of Prey.
>>
File: BabsCanary.jpg (224 KB, 866x1152) Image search: [Google]
BabsCanary.jpg
224 KB, 866x1152
>>80882401
>>
File: Gayer.png (98 KB, 342x286) Image search: [Google]
Gayer.png
98 KB, 342x286
>>80882572
>Greg Land's editor
>>
Speaking as a guy I can't say, but my sister said something interesting to me on this:

>"I don't like female characters. They're always boring or like "I'm a girl gamer and I'm not afraid to show it!"."

She also said she liked Amaterasu a lot less when she found out she was female.

>"Ew, I hate that."
>>
>>80882671
Amaterasu? As in the Japanese goddess in the form of a dog in Okami?
>>
>>80882671
Sounds like a cunt or fugoshit in the making.
>>
>>80882699
Yeah.

>>80882839
She's a skinhead now.
>>
>>80882868
Sorry, I knew it was a dumb question but I just had to double check because that's so fucking stupid.
>>
>>80881634

As a man: I don't care about the gender makeup of the team so much as I care about whether the characters (and the stories they inhabit) can hold my interest.
>>
>>80882671
Your sister is a retard because she doesn't realize the actual problem. It's mostly because when the only female character is there purely for that "representation" shit she has to basically be everything to everyone since if you give her any flaws then people will feel like you're shitting on her or saying all women are like that or something (the way to fix this is to have more women with different personalities, same for any kind of character who might be perceived as there only for tokenism). A reveal of female gender in a character who has been fine shouldn't change anything.
>>
>>80881634
I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>80882990

>when the only female character is there purely for that "representation" shit she has to basically be everything to everyone since if you give her any flaws then people will feel like you're shitting on her or saying all women are like that or something (the way to fix this is to have more women with different personalities, same for any kind of character who might be perceived as there only for tokenism)

This motherfucker gets it.
>>
>>80881665
/thread
>>
>>80881634
They don't particularly care because they're used to it.

OUTRAGE! SJW PANDERING! SHILLLLLLLS!!!
>>
>>80882990
>if you give her any flaws then people will feel like you're shitting on her or saying all women are like that or something
If you're catering to these people, you deserve the criticism.
>>
>>80881770
Wasn't one of the Convergence Justice League teams all women?
>>
>>80881634
I am used to casts being mostly male and I honestly don't care about the male and female ratios that much as long as the characters are interesting.
>>
>>80881815
People called the DCAU Justice League the Minorileague IIRC just because it had two women and a black man.
>>
>>80881634
Honestly don't care. I just want a good story and interesting characters.
>>
>>80881770
When Justice League 3000 became an all female group it made a lot of anons angry and I don't mean in the reasonable "They killed characters that I cared about and pixie Hal died" way but in the "SJW pandering! Tumblr pandering! REEEEEEE" type of way.
>>
>>80881634
I'm finne with it as long as they stay true thier race(no Jews, no tranny and twinks, use white Hispanic) and they keep it chad as fuck
>>
>>80883134
I'm not really talking about SJW types or catering to them. It's more of a subconscious signal thing. Forgive me for not being clear enough at 3am

>>80883190
Yeah I think they got taken while at Jessie Quick's baby shower.
>>
>>80883304
I miss Quasar...
>>
>>80881725
Hello, strawman, my old friend...
>>
>>80882671
>>"I don't like female characters. They're always boring or like "I'm a girl gamer and I'm not afraid to show it!"."
This is absolutely true. Female characters in general are written to be far more cuntish than their male counterparts and are rarely taken to task for it. Shit gets fucking annoying.
>>
>>80881665
This. it doesnt matter if its more men or women as long as its good.......and also that it isn't all women or fags or minorities because in those cases thats only for pandering.
>>
>>80881725
>This is triggering me! Tumblr agenda! Tumblr agenda!
Funny how I've never seen this criticism leveled against RWBY or Sailor Moon.
>>
>>80885811
Sailor Moon aired decades ago and the only people who watch RWBY are in it for waifus to begin with.
>>

Good if the men are attractive like in MCU and some other live action adaptations.

Bad if the men are ugly roid monsters like in most comics.

Good because the women are always attractive.
>>
>>80881634
Disgusted that they are never included

SO MUCH TO FAP
>>

In general? It depends on the series. I expect that a series marketed toward a male demographic to be predominantly male, and why wouldn't it be? I feel like there are fewer male characters in series for women than vice-versa, so it doesn't bug me.

When it come to superhero teams, I treat a mostly-female cast as a red flag, especially these days. It probably means that they're attempting to pander to women, and honestly, I think trying to pander to anyone instead of just writing the story you want is going to make your writing worse. I'd have no problem with a mostly-female team if there was no agenda attached to it, but I don't think I've seen anything like that in recent years.
>>
>>80885811

I've literally never seen anyone discuss RWBY outside of the general, which is obviously full of its fans, which is obviously not the place to gauge that kind of reaction.
>>
>>80881770
Sure you do. Any Harem story.

Most cape shit is aimed at boys and grown ups with the maturity of boys. That's why their is so many male characters. Bros and their enemies that might turn into frenemies depending on who the big bad is for that current story. Since boys tend to hang out with boys, this is reflected in the stories that are aimed at them. In these settings, girls are either: boys that dress different or token girlfriend.

Settings that are primarily all girls or mostly girls are either: fap bait for boys (harem style stories) or stories aimed at girls.

Of course, many stories/settings are aimed at girls whose cast is all boys. This trend is growing in popularity as everything from Japan is cool carries their girl stories full of pretty boys loving each other throughout the world.
>>
>>80889189
>I'd have no problem with a mostly-female team if there was no agenda attached to it, but I don't think I've seen anything like that in recent years.

Gotham Academy. Or at least even if it's used as a marketing point (honestly not sure, I stay away from that shit) it doesn't bleed into the work itself. It's just some kids dealing with growing up in fucking Gotham.
>>
>>80890298
>boys that dress different
Can you explain that? I never understood comments like that as they just come off as the gender equivalent of "acting white" which is pretty bullshit IMO.
>>
>>80890520
Yeah. I don't think that actually happens outside of action movies.
But even then, that's because they are not just women, but mostly soldiers or cops, meaning they have to act like the comrade next to them to be part of the group. Private Vasquez in Aliens is clearly a Marine before she is a woman. She has to act like the others because the others are not acting as men, but as Marines. And if you are obviously not being a Marine, what the fuck are you doing on a Marine mission?

So of course, if you define situation-appropriate baseline human behavior as "male", clearly the female cast are either acting "male", or they are being inappropriate. Both of which are unacceptable, it seems. Or should we halt the movie and include scenes for the sole purpose of establishing the character as satisfyingly "female", but without looking out of place or weak?

So, yeah. It's just like "acting white". A Catch 22. You define the reasonable baseline as "wrong", then demand a reasonable alternative that proves character without stereotypes.
>>
>>80891026
That sounds like a nearly impossible task as trying to define behavior as "male" or "female" exclusively is stereotyping in itself. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here.
>>
>>80883284
>le enlightened middle ground
>>
>>80882990
sounds faggy
>>
>>80883126
howdy tumblr
>>
>>80892677
>le le meme posting
Complaining about extremes on both ends is not falling for the golden mean fallacy.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.