[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>reboot entire universe >don't wait half a year for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: Robins.jpg (192 KB, 960x831) Image search: [Google]
Robins.jpg
192 KB, 960x831
>reboot entire universe
>don't wait half a year for Morrison to wrap his shit up where he's going to kill off Damian anyway
>now have new universe with four Robins within 5 years
>Tim Drake isn't even Tim Drake
>Bruce has a son that's older than the amount of time he's been Batman
How do you fuck up this badly?
>>
>>80868137
Accelerated aging.
>>
dick grayson is 21
>>
>>80868262
>you are older than Dick Grayson now
>you're almost as old as Batman now
>Batman will live on long after I'm gone
So this is how Miller felt when he wrote DKR
>>
File: batman_new52timeline.jpg (1 MB, 991x3507) Image search: [Google]
batman_new52timeline.jpg
1 MB, 991x3507
Honestly it's not something I worry about at all. In my head the history is basically the same as it was pre-Flashpoint just with everyone moved back about 5-6 years. And that's how most writers have been doing it anyway. In Batman & Robin Tomasi has literally just completely ignored the five year timeline and shown that Final Crisis and RIP still happened exactly the way they did in his mind.

This is the benefit of "story over continuity", you don't have to ruin your own story just because retard Bob Harras threw out all the stuff fans cared about officially. That's what makes it so ironic when continuityfags get upset over the story trumps continuity quote and go "WHAT SO DC HAS GIVEN UP ON CONTINUITY?!", because in practice it means writers can choose what continuity they want to use and actually include MORE continuity and fan-favorite stories.
>>
Try and make sense of the GL timeline with the "5 years" thing.
>>
>>80868137
>How do you fuck up this badly?
DC Comics
>>
>>80868653
wait, Batman was only around a year before the JL? i thought it said he was around for 5 as a myth, then JL happens 5 years in the past, so Batman is around for 10 years total at the start of the New 52
>>
>>80868137

The reboot was clearly a desperation move. The rumor is, somebody way higher up in the foodchain threatened to fire Didio and his merry men if the sales didn't meet Marvel's in X amount of months. Only way possible for DC to meet that goal, even temporarily, was to pull a huge gimmick like this, and they had no time to plan it properly so it ended up all sorts of fucked.
>>
>>80869396
At the time they weren't doing THAT much worse than Marvel. It wasn't until like 2013 that Marvel started to really dominate with their relaunches.

I could totally believe that it was because of corporate pressure, though. My theory is that Lee and Harras had been planning this for awhile but the executive orders made them have to move their time table up a ridiculous amount and only like 20% of their original plans went into the relaunch, probably the Wildstorm merge and trying to put the daemonites and Stormwatch as big parts of the core plot, and JL probably existed as a movie pitch for awhile before that.
>>
>>80869396
I was under the impression that Flashpoint was supposed to be only a "minor" event that could serve as an excuse to wrap up some loose ends.

It certainly didn't seem like they had the year+ of planning they usually put into a Crisis-like event for Flashpoint.
>>
File: TYBDBD.jpg (228 KB, 600x817) Image search: [Google]
TYBDBD.jpg
228 KB, 600x817
>timeline-fags
>>
>>80868137
On the surface it seemed like the reboot was kind to Batman, but it really did torch a TON of stuff related to the character and his cohorts.
>>
Make up your own headcanon. Its just a stupid number without any impact on the actual story/characters, let say DC said that Batman had his four Robin in 15 instead of 5 years... literally nothing in the current development of the characters would've been any different.

plus: Time works completely different in comics, Tim was for 20 years Robin in the comics, but in-continuity how much did he age? 2 years tops.
>>
>>80868137
>Caring about Morrishit
>>
>>80871046
>story will trump continuity
>there have been MAYBE five noteworthy runs since the relaunch
ok
>>
>>80870429
It was just meant to be an arc in Johns Flashrun with Barry.
>>
I hope Rebirth just gets rid of this whole 5 years shit
>>
>>80868653
Where in this timeline is Zero Year?
>>
>>80868694
It works fine as long as you ignore Poochie-lantern's shit, and assume SCW didn't involve Anti-Montior.
>>
>>80872250
Five noteworthy runs in the span of less than a year is pretty good anon. Unless you're talking about New 52, but Story over Continuity was never promised on that end.
>>
>>80873689
Year one
>>
File: counterrebirth.jpg (114 KB, 590x295) Image search: [Google]
counterrebirth.jpg
114 KB, 590x295
>>80868137
>How do you fuck up this badly?
You ain't seen nuffin' yet!
>>
>>80868137
N52 should have waited until Geoff was done with his Green Lantern arc and Grant was done with his Batman arc. Then everything would have been peachy.
>>
File: 1458199139468.png (37 KB, 200x182) Image search: [Google]
1458199139468.png
37 KB, 200x182
>>80868137
it was a rush job. they wanted to reboot shit so they could revisit iconic moments and didnt think of what that really means

it means you go back to the beginning and its a slow process and they wanted to get back to where they were. they shouldnt have rebooted shit if this is what they were going to do
>>
File: dick_grayson_by_xionice.jpg (349 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
dick_grayson_by_xionice.jpg
349 KB, 1440x900
Batman v Superman is doing it the way I've always thought the New 52 should have. Just have Batman be older than the other Leaguers, while retaining all of his history. I like to pretend that this is the case, when reading the comics now. If you really want to go for a younger and sexier Bruce, just explain his physical youth away with a dip in the Lazarus pool.

Messing with Batman's career span fucked up Nightwing's character arc, along with the father-son relationship Bruce had with him. Only Jason was spared from losing that.
>>
They should have waited for both Morrison and Johnes to finish their runs, or made it aparant they werent part of new52 continuity
>>
>>80873785
No it doesn't. Guy was in a coma for 3 years pre-crisis. That's already taking up half the time slot without even counting the time he was trapped in the phantom zone. You can't just compress everything and call it a day, it just makes inconsistencies.
>>
>>80868653
That timeline is horrible
>>
>>80878066
>father-son relationship

But thats wrong, Bruce always saw in Dick the friend/brother he never had.
They both share the same pain (muh dead parents), so they can relate to each other.
>>
>>80882674
>Bruce always saw in Dick the friend/brother he never had.
Yup, Dick said once that Bruce was his brother and best friend.

Jason and Damian are Bruce's sons.

And I don't know what kind of relationship Tim and Bruce currently have. I think they work better as just a partners tho.
>>
>>80883215
>He was my brother
>My best friend
>My lover.
>>
>now have new universe with four Robins within 5 years
This make no freaking sense what so ever.

I mean, you want to tell me that Jason was a Robin for less than a year before getting killed? The heck Bruce?

Seriously, who allow this?
>>
>>80883904

Maybe it is silver-age years, Where years are longer and shit doesn't make sense.

That is how I explain it.
>>
DC needs a Franklin Richards.
In Marvel, the sliding timescale happens because in every story where a future version of Franklin Richards appears he's either super-messiah or horribly evil. Little Franklin is afraid of bot possibilities and doesn't want to grow up, so he subconsciously warps reality to keep his family from aging and, by extension, the people they interact with most.
>>
>>80868137
Balm the top brass, all those new52 stuff and were their desperate attemp for money.
>>
>>80883215
> Bruce was his brother
This was the only issue I had with Morrison's Bat Epic. I always preferred the father/son dynamic
>>
>>80871046
>DCfags defend this
>meanwhile everyone shits on Bendis for having story trump continuity

DC is literally Bendis: The Publisher.
>>
>>80884838
Just ignore it like everyone else.
Grant made it so that Damian was made by rape and was artificially aged, but in the actual new52 it was a consensual thing and Damian grew normally.
>>
>>80868244
You don't even read comics faggot.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.