[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did /co think of no mans land?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: nml.jpg (136 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
nml.jpg
136 KB, 640x360
What did /co think of no mans land?
>>
>>80860503
People here seem to hate Chuck Dixon, but I've also heard many praise No Man's Land.
>>
>>80860503
It's good, but the slow pacing can be annoying

>>80860628
People here don't hate Dixon, they hate the fact that for some time Dixon was on all Batbooks and did nothing but playing safe
>>
>>80860628

Chuck Dixon isn't a bad writer, but he isn't a great writer either. If you want competent Bat stories he's your guy but once you finish his run you'll realize you can't remember what you read.

No man's land is a great comic if you can get past the stupid premise. Read it as an elseworld and it's great!
>>
>>80860728
Stupid premise? It was refreshing. I mean, usually batman stories revolve one of his rogues shipping weapons, chemicles or whatever, and batman shows up to stop it and then find some deeper shit going on.

An earthquake that devestates Gotham is at least a fresh take on the whole thing.
>>
>>80860503

Pretty, pretty good.

>>80860696
>People here don't hate Dixon

Hate might be a strong word, but there is a distinct dislike because he doesn't that often tell big iconic and "important" feeling stories which the modern day standard.
>>
I felt Cataclysm was pretty great, but the"Aftershock" or "Road to no man's land" whatever you want to call it, wasn't that great. It got a lot better once No Man's Land proper started.
>>
It's high up on my list of favorite bat stories
>>
>>80860890

Yeah, I think most will agree Dixon is a "good" writer consistently, but doesn't deliver anything "great."

Personally, I'll take down to earth Batman stories over the really "important" stuff that shakes things up, but forgets to tell a good story.

No Man's Land was an interesting take on a Gotham that was pushed to the brink and factionalized and lawless, but not cliche full of murderous assholes like every zombie apocalypse in fiction. The real failure of the story is the very ending, which AGAIN has to center around the Joker doing the Bad Thing so the heroes get mad and maybe this time they will Kill Him but then they don't. But then, I'm tired of the Joker if that's all you're going to use him for.
>>
>>80860503
I really enjoyed it.

It was a huge and nice change of pace that went for a long while. There were lots of stories to tell with it and they told many of them.

Plus it pretty much turned the established setting on its head, and Gotham as a setting is an integral part of the Batman story, practically a character of its own.

Some of the side stories were just really spectacular. The two scavengers who break into the wrong house, the old man who's lived through tough economies and the ghettofication of his neighborhood and now through the Arkhamites-turned-warlords was basically Gran Torino without the police (they were there, they were just another gang, though).
>>
>>80860890
>Hate might be a strong word, but there is a distinct dislike because he doesn't that often tell big iconic and "important" feeling stories which the modern day standard.
I think it's just more that he's traditional, and older. He's not Gail Simone adding a wacky transsexual horror show to a cast, but he's telling just as good stories.

They're just not memeworthy.
>>
>>80861095
>No Man's Land was an interesting take on a Gotham that was pushed to the brink and factionalized and lawless, but not cliche full of murderous assholes like every zombie apocalypse in fiction. The real failure of the story is the very ending, which AGAIN has to center around the Joker doing the Bad Thing so the heroes get mad and maybe this time they will Kill Him but then they don't. But then, I'm tired of the Joker if that's all you're going to use him for.
The real ending was about Lex Luthor.

Joker was just a punchline.

Speaking of which, the Lex Luthor ending actually led into the other good stories, Bruce Wayne Murderer and Fugitive
>>
>>80860696
Dixon is behind Batasshole and Nightangstywing. Most casuals wrong conceptions about batman are related to him.
>>
>>80861209
I thought the people behind the War Games arc were behind the batasshole? I mean, he almost goes ASBAR levels of crazy in that one.
>>
>>80861170
>Speaking of which, the Lex Luthor ending actually led into the other good stories, Bruce Wayne Murderer and Fugitive

Lex president, Lex downfall, Bruce actually getting personal with lex and buying lexcorp. It was a really fun time
>>
>>80861218
Yes.
Willingham, in particular.
>>
>>80861218
Batasshole was before that. By the time of prodigal son Bruce and dick were in perfect therms. With dixon well. Bruce was a fucking cunt to dick.
>>
>>80861232
Right, that's the name I was looking for.
>>
>>80861095
>The real failure of the story is the very ending, which AGAIN has to center around the Joker doing the Bad Thing

Did you read it as it was coming out or only later? If the latter, I think your bias against Joker is showing. It was a pretty good Joker story that worked well as a final story for NML, just before things went back to the status quo, and had a good dramatic moment in Essen getting killed.
>>
A lot of the art was shitty up until NML actually started. Story was really good though.
>>
File: strawberries.gif (1 MB, 638x261) Image search: [Google]
strawberries.gif
1 MB, 638x261
>Montoya/Twoface storyline
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.