[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your feelings on Sony Animation Studios?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
What are your feelings on Sony Animation Studios?
>>
>>80841563
Sony Animation was a mistake.
>>
>>80841563
Let's put it this way, if they tried to do a Kingdom Hearts rip off series? They'd flop just as hard as their Smash Bros rip off.
>>
>>80841593
Considering it's just about the only Sony department making any money these days, I'd argue the opposite.
>>
more miss than hit.

Hit: Cloudy, Surfs Up, Parts of Hotel Transylvania.

Miss: everything else

I don't count the Aardman stuff, that's still ALL AARDMAN. Sony only distributed it.
>>
Cloudy Meatballs and its sequel were the only good things to come out of that studio. Hotel's only praise comes from it's cartoony animation, but the casting was bloated with unnecessary celebrities for a large cast, the heart warming moments were forced, and it had too many fucking dance sequences.

Cloudy 1 + 2 are actually good movies all around. One moreso than two of course (Sans the villain).
>>
>>80841563
What's the one with the dodo and the treasure?
>>
I think they have their place. They may not make the critically acclaimed and socially aware films of Disney and Pixar or the merchandising machine films of Illumination and DreamWorks, but they help keep the squash and stretch animation style alive on the big screen.

They have their uses.
>>
>>80841679

Arthur Christmas was great.
>>
>>80841679
Agreed on your Hits list, but I though the first Open Season was okay too.
>>
>>80841679

>Arthur Christmas
>miss

Easily one of the best christmas films to come out recently.
>>
File: laika-animation.jpg (522 KB, 1900x937) Image search: [Google]
laika-animation.jpg
522 KB, 1900x937
>>80841563

Shit. Only truly competent animation studio is Laika seeing they actually give a fuck about their movies quality and not appealing to the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>80841974
That was back when they had actual stars in Martin Lawrence and Ashton Kutcher. Now they jus hire guys off th e street to play the characters.
>>
>>80842010
>Laika
>Competent

Since when is a business operating at a loss and being bailed out by daddy competent? I think you meant to type Disney. They have just the right mix of business acumen and artistic integrity. Zootopia is a testament to that.
>>
File: image.png (112 KB, 500x267) Image search: [Google]
image.png
112 KB, 500x267
>>80841563
"At least they're not Illumination"
>>
>>80842111

Frozen and Big Hero 6 were mediocre as hell.
>>
>>80842010
>Only made three movies
>One of which was generally agreed to be boring and bland.

Yeah, quite the winning streak right there.

Also this:
>>80842111

They won't last long.
>>
>>80841563
Which is worse?

Sony Animation Studios or Illumination Entertainment.
>>
>>80842355
Illumination is a fucking shit studio
>>
>Open Season 2
>>
>>80842327
Disney won't last long?
>>
>>80842355
They're both better than Blue Sky.
>>
>>80842010
Lets be real, laika would be crap if they needed to profit

Only coraline was good btw
>>
Pixar > Disney > Dreamworks > Laika > Sony > Blue Sky > Illumination
>>
>>80842454
I think he meant Laika.
>>
I like both of the Hotel Transylvania movies.
But they're definitely the worst professional-quality computer animated movies.
>>
>>80842428
>Open Season 3
>>
>>80842592
>Pixar ahead of Disney

Back in 2010, sure. Now? Fuck no.
>>
>>80842111
Good thing stop motion is dirt cheap to produce versus CGI
>>
>>80843176
Your point?

I want my animation studios to TRY and work for my money
>>
>>80841926
The Pirates Adventure with Scientists I believe. which was mostly an Aardman thing.
>>
>>80842327

And even then it was better than horseshit like Minions.
>>
>>80842724
>Open Season 4
>>
>>80843271
Nobody cared about that.
>>
>>80841945
>>80841999
Arthur's Christmas was an Aardman movie (at least somewhat).
>>
>>80841563
I adore the Hotel Transylvania movies and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I had high hopes for the studio until they kicked Genndy off Popeye and Lauren off Medusa. They've shot themselves in the foot.

Is Sausage Party one of theirs, or is it just being distributed by them?
>>
For me, as of right now:
Cartoon Saloon = Laika > Disney = Pixar > Dreamworks > Sony > Blue Sky > Illumination
>>
>>80841563
Absolute garbage.
>>
>>80845195
But they've had at least 4 good movies
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.