[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the last unicorn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11
File: tlu1.jpg (54 KB, 650x350) Image search: [Google]
tlu1.jpg
54 KB, 650x350
thoughts?
>>
>>80765083
NOW THAT I'M A WOMAN
>>
>>80765083
Why IS a raven like a writing desk?
>>
good, skeleton was best character
>>
File: 1457914042856.png (31 KB, 1250x882) Image search: [Google]
1457914042856.png
31 KB, 1250x882
>>80765083
>>
>>80765083
Watched it for the first time last year when it was on tour, the original author was there to do Q&A after the screening. I read the book months ago, took me a bit to slog out as it was more verbose and paced differently than I was expecting.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, the ennui and look of the film is unique to this day. It reminds me of how films (animated or live) used to allow expressions of the forlorn and dismal more freely, with enough light to keep you pulled in.

I wonder how I would of accepted this as a child rather than an adult. Any kids who got the story are far more perceptive than they let on, I'd wager.

Have a taco
>>
>tfw none of your friends like this movie
>>
>>80765133
They both have inky quills, and Poe wrote on both.
>>
>>80765191
fucking lovely.
>>
>>80765083
I really enjoy The Hobbit and The Wind in the Willows, but I just can't get into The Last Unicorn.

Something about '70s fantasy is too dark and heavy-handed for me I guess.

> I also hate Wizards so much that I think it made me like Hitler more
> read The Dark Is Rising, could barely make myself finish the first book
>>
>>80766085
and they are both nevar reversed
>>
Pretty fucking surreal, I wasn't excepting such a large part of the movie to be devoted to that one guy trying to court the unicorn in human form.
>>
>>80765083
Bland 80s shit
>>
File: lowqualitybait.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
lowqualitybait.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
>>80767692
>>
I only watched this recently, at the request of my roommate who grew up with it. I wasn't really expecting to like it, was surprised when I did. It's surprisingly melancholy, and the ending isn't really what I'd call happy. Dat soundtrack, though.

>"I love who I love."
>"But she's a unicorn again-"
>"I LOVE WHO I LOVE."
>>
>>80765083
Awful music, shame that America dropped the ball so badly on it

the "Now that Im a woman" song is cringe

I like it, but I kind of like it ironically, I love those weird 70/80s animated movies like Last Unicorn, Heavy Metal, Black Cauldron, such a weird time in animation history

Objectively its shit , I feel like it was heavily edited and alot of the story is gone
>>
>>80766592
>I just can't get into The Last Unicorn.
I'd like to get into the last unicorn if you know what I mean.
>>
>>80765083
Good, but very strange.
>>
"Oh, she'll kill me one day or another. But she will remember forever that -I- caught her; that -I- held her prisoner. So there's MY immortality, eh?"
>>
>>80766592
>I really enjoyed The Wind in the Willows

Teach me how, cause right now I'm reading it to no avail
>>
>>80766085
first time ive heard the non sperglord answer to this on 4chan
>>
>>80768555
What, you think it's spergy that they both make flat notes?
>>
>>80765083
I was not aroused by the unicorn
>>
>>80768100
Not strange, just fairy tale-like.
>>
>>80768200
why didn't she give the harpy a bra?
>>
>>80768719
She likes to suck on her tits.
>>
>>80765083
Sad.
>>
>>80765133
You can rind Robin behind both.
>>
>>80765083
Disney or DreamWorks remake when?

I hope the Prince would be hot as fuck and bara
>>
I saw it around a year ago, after it was recommended on /co/. I've always been a fan of that style of fantasy, and I loved the atmosphere of the piece: that kind of haunting melancholy. I thought the character designs were fantastic, as well. The plot was a little hit-and-miss for me; I thought it really dragged when they reached the castle and the unicorn became human. I couldn't really stand Schmendrick, either - found him grating and flat. He reminded me a lot of those feeble, awkward characters that Woody Allen always portrays, and I've never been a fan of them either.

Solid film all around, though. I watched it and the Secret of NIHM around the same time, but I thought the latter was much better.
>>
File: 1456379455349.gif (128 KB, 230x199) Image search: [Google]
1456379455349.gif
128 KB, 230x199
>>80768200
Honestly? Favorite villain.
>Caging the super-immortal-death-monster for fame and glory?
>Of course I'm going to fucking die, but I'm dying in style mother fuckers.

Truly the most badass of us all.
>>
File: 234543q3wrwrrqfcricwiz.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2400) Image search: [Google]
234543q3wrwrrqfcricwiz.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2400
My thoughts?

When the last eagle flies....

over the last crumbling mountain...
>>
>>80765109
EVERYTHING IS STRANGE
>>
>>80765083
Wonderful film, Molly best girl
>>
>>80765083
Amalthea was hot as a unicorn and human
>>
>>80765083
Good movie that like so many others was almost ruined by musical numbers. The antagonists were incredibly memorable.

Years later it ended up being the reason I legitimately respect Danny Sexbang.
>>
>>80765133
It's from Alice in Wonderland. The Mad Hatter asks it to Alice. It's not supposed to have a real answer. That's the joke. He gave the guy an unsolvable riddle.

Anything about answers is just stuff made up after the fact.
>>
>>80766592
>tried to read The Dark is Rising and fails
Dude, I tried reading the other books in that pedantic sputtering diarrhea of a series.
What the fuck.
>>
>>80767828
Prince Lir: the first brony.
>>
>>80767941
>the "Now that Im a woman" song is cringe

That's not America's fault, though, they didn't write it. The blame for writing that piece of crap lies with famed composer Jimmy Webb. It was not his best work.
>>
>>80765083
What was the point/theme of this anyway?
Seemed rather poorly executed whatever it was.
>>
>>80765083

This hole scene....epic

https://youtu.be/AaWyj7Yid2M
>>
>>80765083
Even if the movie wasn't a VERY rough diamond, Paul Chapman's review alone justifies its existence.
>>
>>80770180
Greed will lead to your inevitable downfall and you can't keep beautiful things all to yourself, they are for everyone.

Also that unicorns are kind of bitchy.
>>
>>80770712
See, I thought it was about mortals foolishly chasing immortality in the only way mortals can, via immortal things. Memory, actions, legends, etc, things that outlive the actual mortal where these are also more perfect beings than the actual mortals. Seemed to be in every encounter had this.
>>
I love it one of my favorite fairy tales.
>>
File: 553f8292ac68a47c412099a3d3283411.png (804 KB, 1597x1694) Image search: [Google]
553f8292ac68a47c412099a3d3283411.png
804 KB, 1597x1694
>>
>>80766009
where did you see them? how did you find out about the tour? Is there a website that gives upcoming book tours worldwide? anyone?
>>
>>80771230
google it numbnuts
>>
>>80771263
but I need a websaitama that lets me keep on top of upcoming book tours of authors. not just her.
>>
>>80771178
Very funny. That was how many....... eth time it was posted?
>>
>>80771276
Look one up then.
>>
>>80771178
Yup, read that in George Lowe's voice
>>
I love how quiet and implicit everything was. We talk about how ghibli and non-american animated movies can take children's entertainment more seriously, but this is a good case where americans do it extremely well (yeah I know it was animated by Topcraft).
>>
>>80765083
Better than Flight of the Dragons, but not quite as good as The Hobbit. I love them all
>>
>>80769008
fuck yeah america
>>
I watched it when I was little and it made me feel physically ill and I couldn't understand much of what happened. One day I'll watch it again.
>>
File: tumblr_o40xge8V811tqn35to1_1280.gif (429 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o40xge8V811tqn35to1_1280.gif
429 KB, 1280x1280
>>80771284
Not as often as the crop from the "I wanna fuck that unicorn" anon.
>>
>>80765133
Poe wrote on both
>>
>>80770732
Possibly, the divide between a mortal and an immortal was addressed in the book if I recall.
>>
>>80771178
>Bronies.png
>>
Did you guys hear about how Peter S Beagle's tour manager was abusing the shit out of him and never set up any hotels for the guy to stay at so he had to couch surf with fans?

At first I was sad the film tour got cancelled but after hearing that I'm glad.
>>
>>80768200
I loved that.

I loved that on some horrible level, wizard to wizard, Schmendrick GOT that.
>>
I love it.

The only bad thing is that we havent had enough Hiddemi Kubo.
>>
>>80765083

It's good, but kinda weird. It has a very different tone and style compared to modern fantasy.
>>
>>80769648
I don't like that one song, but I love the rest of the music.
>>
I vaguely remember watching this when I was 8 or 9, and it depressed me so much, I didn't watch it again until college.

I think the part that really resonates with me now is Molly Grue. That part where she is cursing the unicorn for showing up at that point in her life, when she's past her prime and life has dragged her down and has turned her into the cynic she is now.
>>
I loved Flight of Dragons and the animated Tolkien stuff as a kid, but never watched this. I felt rather badly about it.
I finally got around to watching it recently and ...it wasn't that good. Pretty disappointing, really. Especially after a rather good first half.
>>
>>80770683
I had to look this up and did this heretic really say "I don't like Prince of Egypt"?
>>
I have the most vivid memory of the prince/hunter guy being revealed as the red bull.
>>
>>80776881
A lot of people did not like Prince of Egypt; it is not a universally liked piece of cinema.
>>
First time seeing the movie I kept wanting the wizard to get her. Maybe it was just me but it seemed they had more going on than that prince that cucks him later in the film. And then he just randomly gets with the fucking old wench? The fuck? I know it was loosely based on a book and that happens in it, but I hated that ending.

On a visual note though, it's great. It's got a good unique mix of western/eastern that I love.
>>
>>80777215
>A lot of people did not like Prince of Egypt

Yes, but those people are profoundly wrong and it makes everything they say suspect.
>>
>>80765083
I appreciate this movie more now that I've grown older. Child me only liked the visuals and creepy sequences, but older me really gets the character motivations and stuff now.
When the unicorns finally return to the world, I always tear up.
>>
>>80768898
>Disney remake

I'd rather have a Laika version, if it had to be animated. Too bad Peter S. Beagle's agent is an asshole who is taking advantage of him.
>>
>>80771230
The tour is cancelled. Peter S. Beagle's agent was basically abusing him with this tour, making it grueling as hell with a lot of dates, not even booking Peter hotels but making him find fans who would host him overnight (literally) and making Peter stay for hours and hours signing every single person's autograph, despite being an old, exhausted man. Peter is now suing the agent for elderly abuse, among other things.
>>
>>80773544
yes

Connor Cochran is shady as fuck. He runs Peter's twitter and Facebook--it's not really Peter running it. He also recently deleted posts from someone who had a contractual agreement with Cochran Press regarding prints of concept art for the film. He provided the company with the hi-res images of the concept art, agreeing to limited edition prints which he would receive a portion of the profits from. Now the company is selling cheaper unlimited prints, which is against the terms of his contract, and he's not seeing any of the money.
>>
>>80777555
Checked.
>>
File: 1422411511526.jpg (30 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1422411511526.jpg
30 KB, 480x480
>>80777387
>loosely based on a boo
>>
>>80765083
The Last Unicorn was a film that felt caged. It had so much going for it, like that beautiful art style and the well done atmosphere, but it felt bogged down by the poor musical numbers, which the film didn't really need save for the main song.

It had a much more somber tone, which was fitting for a film about presumably the last Unicorn in existence. Haddock was a great villain as well. I do wish they expanded on his story a bit more, like why only Unicorns seemed to make him happy.

I wouldn't mind a remake of it at some point, but it would need to keep that somber tone and, preferably, build up on that amazing art style.
>>
>>80765133
Because there's an n in neither and a b in both.
>>
>>80765083
Fantastic atmosphere, visual style, music, and characters.

Very bad pacing, incoherent plot, big lipped alligator moments everywhere, and while the style was unique the animation itself was horrid. Especially in the last aspect this was miles below Secret of Nimh whichw as released the same year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCAiKsLLprU
>>
I meant to say Dan.
>>
>>80766009
I watched it when I was a child, if that helps.

Wouldn't say I actually got it then, but I did enjoy it. has a lot to offer on multiple levels.

>tree scene giving me first whyboners at very young age
>>
>>80780063
>Haddock
Haggard.
>>
Uuunnicoooooooorn
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.