[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate 'em.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 18
File: KFP villains.png (871 KB, 1040x600) Image search: [Google]
KFP villains.png
871 KB, 1040x600
Rate 'em.
>>
>>80761246
The third one isn't out in my country yet :(
>>
>>80761246
7/10, 9/10, 5/10
>>
>>80761246
Shen>Tai Lung>Kai
>>
>>80761246
Its pretty straightforward:
>Tai Lung
>Shen
>Kai
Though Shen is a close second.
>>
File: 1457838868544.png (1 MB, 1200x850) Image search: [Google]
1457838868544.png
1 MB, 1200x850
Shen >>>>>>>> Kai > Tai Lung
>>
>>80761424
>Kai over Tai Lung

Explain
>>
File: 1454309709196.jpg (159 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1454309709196.jpg
159 KB, 800x600
Shen >>>> Tai Lung >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kai
>>
>>80761246
Silver, Gold, Bronze
>>
>>80761470
He felt more like a character than Tai Lung, but just a little. Also his battle style was pretty nice.
>>
>>80761246
Shen >>>>>>> Tai Lung = Kai
>>
>>80761246
>Shen VS Tai Lung
Honestly, a pretty close contest, but I'll give it to Shen because he ended on a much more poignant note than Tai Lung did, and his storyline was better intertwined with Po. That and Based Oldman can nail any role when he wants to.

Kai isn't even in the running, he's discount Tai Lung without a single really emotional moment or scene to his name. It's kinda sad how they recycled the same
>Villain is introduced with an action scene
>Escapes _____
>Is heading towards Po, so now Po has to train in order to defeat him
>Beats Furious Five along the way
>Fights Po seriously for a bit
>Then devolves into pure comedy.
>Po makes them explode.

It's beat for beat.
>>
In terms of characterization
Shen>Tai lung>Kai

Voice acting
Tai>Shen>Kai

Huge fan of McShane
>>
>>80761297
this one
>>
File: Mads Mikkelsen.jpg (5 KB, 171x253) Image search: [Google]
Mads Mikkelsen.jpg
5 KB, 171x253
>>80762429
What do you think Kai had been like if pic related hadn't dropped out from the movie?
>>
>>80761297
pretty much this
>>
>>80761623
What was it?
>>
>>80762567
Those sword-chucks of his and the jade puppets
>>
File: Kratos.png (169 KB, 375x475) Image search: [Google]
Kratos.png
169 KB, 375x475
>>80762567
>>
>>80761246
I love how the thematic coloring of each villain is super clear.
If they did a 4th, what color would they use.
>>
>>80762656
It can't be yellow since that's already Po's thematic color, so I'd say violet or similar.
>>
>>80762656
probably fucking yellow. then again hard to say. so far they've used up the RGB spectrum.
>>
>>80761246
Tai Lung was better in that his relationship with Shifu was an important aspect of his background and made their conflict meaningful, as did Shifu's relationship with Po. The three characters and how they saw themselves and their respective failures made for a great movie.

Shen had a better design and his fighting style was superb. His background as "I fulfill the prophecy I fought to destroy" was cliche and it meant that Po's attempt to reach him was destined to fail and felt worthless, but Shen's stoic acceptance of his death after fighting so ferociously was awesome. I felt he was a better standalone character than Tai Lung but unfortunately that disconnected him from Po and made their conflict less personal. So I guess I'd say that, as individual characters, Tai Lung ranks below Shen, but within their movies Tai Lung fit better.

Both of them had wonderful voices and I loved how their designs matched their characters so well. Shen's clicking metal claws were such a great addition.

I haven't seen the third movie so I can't comment on it.
>>
>>80761623
>Kratos style
>pretty nice

You are a pleb.
>>
I think that the reason Shen worked so well was that his personality lent itself to comedy a lot better than Tai Lung or Kai, so he gelled better with the tone of the movie. Tai Lung was constantly undermined by jokes and their attempts at humor with Kai felt forced. Both villains suffered for it.

Shen was neurotic enough to laugh at without diminishing his threat level.
>>
>>80762656
Purple.
>>
Kai's Backstory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkApUAozX4c

Done in an alternate animation style.
>>
File: GWTB_SkullGuy_2.jpg (14 KB, 188x197) Image search: [Google]
GWTB_SkullGuy_2.jpg
14 KB, 188x197
>>80762735
>>80762741
>Poo become the villain
>>
>>80763049
Would we get a battle scene between Po and Tigress?
>>
>>80762891
Helps that Shen's jokes are some of the better ones

>Po tries to make Shen as mad as possible by playing by emphasizing that the prophecy will happend and a panda is still in his way
>(can't hear) What?

>(super important momment of message stating) Scars heal Shen
>No they don't, wounds heal

>Its a gift, a parting gift. In that it will part you.
>>
>>80763077
>friend forced to fight friend

i find it kinda overdone but still like it.
>>
Spirit Realm Battle between Po and Kai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvSewMetAtc
>>
>>80763120
>Tigress's finishing move is a hug that literally knocks Po out
>>
>>80761246
I just realized those 3 villains represent devas from the Chinese calendar. that means 9 more movies confirmed? final movie boss will be the original dragon warrior or Po becomes evil?
>>
>>80763312
>rabbit villain
>>
File: 1386881912965.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1386881912965.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>80763223
this. this pls.
>>
>>80763362
ain't that cute?
>>
>>80763312
Shen is a Peacock and Kai is a Yak.
>>
>>80763223
Does he explode too?
>>
Shen
Tai Lung
Kai

Chen was just such an awesome villain. He also did the classic suicide over redemption ending.
>>
>>80763425
>Kai is a Water buffalo*
>>
File: Noble_yak.jpg (136 KB, 911x701) Image search: [Google]
Noble_yak.jpg
136 KB, 911x701
>>80763425
they fit well even if they are not the same animal, it all depends of the animators, the peacock is more fancy than a cock and the yak probably represents the mongolians who tried to invade china, Po is a panda but he also represents a dragon.
also in jackie chan adventures a yak was carrying the bull talisman,
>>
File: Chef-wo-hop.jpg (7 KB, 270x152) Image search: [Google]
Chef-wo-hop.jpg
7 KB, 270x152
>>80763362
Deepest lore
>>
>>80761246
Shen is a brilliant and an all around memorable antagonist. I loved that he was more of a personal enemy to Po, which in turn made their confrontation much more gripping. So, of course, he comes first.
Tai Lung comes second, because while his character has acceptable depth, he still isn't as interesting or entertaining as Shen.
Kai comes third. And Kai... has an awesome theme song. But other than that (and his blades, which were kinda cool) there isn't that much to him as a character. He's arguably the most powerful of the three, but still doesn't leave as much as an impact as the others did. It's a shame, because the idea of having a villain from the spirit realm is a fascinating concept.
>>
>>80763312
we /miraak/ now
>>
It really bothers me how much KFP and HTTYD (and Megamind to a certain extent) stand out from the rest of Dreamworks fare
>>
File: 1448169577591.gif (1 MB, 349x254) Image search: [Google]
1448169577591.gif
1 MB, 349x254
>>80763312

>Kung Fu panda 4 Master Bunny
>As cute as Judy from Zootopia
>And she knows kung fu

HELL YEAH I WANT THIS
>>
File: Dreamwork.jpg (3 MB, 2910x1651) Image search: [Google]
Dreamwork.jpg
3 MB, 2910x1651
>>80763862
Maybe that means that like KFP 3, HTTYD 3 will also try to be a bit sillier.
>>
>>80763922
>she is actually evil and dies in a horrible fire at the temple while fighting Po, you can hear her scream before disapearing in the flames
>>
>>80763922
>>
>>80764014
>le dremworks face
the legends were true!
>>
>>80763312
I'd like it to be the final movie with more minor villains who fill out the calendar that ends in the dragon as the big bad boss.

The dragon is a wizened old creature who saw empires rise and fall and has been driven to despair and cynicism as his strength and youth fade and his wisdom is no longer sought out but abandoned by the foolish new generation. He trains new warriors who are desperate for an edge in the competition because it gives him a sense of purpose and he can live vicariously through their exploits, even though said exploits grow darker and more violent.

Po and the Five take on these warriors and win, only to find the dragon confused and struck with grief at the loss of what he sees as his children and his future. Po tells him that to wish for the success and happiness of his pupils is noble, but that's not what the dragon was doing; he was using them as a crutch, as a means to forget what he has now become. He takes from his father's fears and early desire to see Po as another noodlemaker that turned into glowing acceptance of him as the Dragon Warrior to show that there is an important difference.

This being the last movie, it is about accepting and embracing old age and parenthood as a means of introducing the world to a new person and not as an offshoot of yourself.
>>
>>80764014
I kinda love and hate the "minimalistic cover" trend in animated movies this year. It works for some, but in others it just feels silly.
>>
Oogway vs. Kai Spirit Realm Battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONI9zvq9Pzo
>>
>>80762507
A mumblefuck. You ever watch Hannibal? You end up asking your tv to repeat itself every time he doesn't pace or enunciate his speech.
>>
Panda Village vs. Kung-Fu Master Jombies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTBX-JuYNg
>>
>>80761246
Now WHO would win in a battle?

Could Tai Lung take out Shen army and cannons?
>>
>>80764106
>>80764471
are those camrips? they look too good. is there torrent somewhere I don't know?
>>
>>80764571
In a 1v1, no goons allowed.

>Tai Lung vs Kai = tie
>Tai Lung vs Shen = Tai Lung
>Kai vs Shen = Kai
>>
Tai Lung, Kai, Shen.

Kai was a better character than Shen, had more personality. But his background should have been fleshed out much more for the audience to understand him. Tai Lung was good, committing genocide because of a vision and thereby creating a self fulfilling prophecy was a nice idea. Shen was just hot garbage.
>>
>>80765009
>Shen in worst place
>Kai was a better character than Shen
>Shen was just hot garbage.

Is it opposite day?
>>
>>80765009
But anon, Shen was the genocide one.
>>
>>80762847
Shen's conflict with Po is more personal than Po's conflict with Tai Lung. Shen never let go from his past, and let his insecurities define him; he never found inner peace, and was a mess inside. He believed himself to be Po's arch nemesis because of the prophecy and the fact he killed his parents.
But Po didn't feel that way.
Po didn't let his past experiences define his current self, while that's all Shen did. That's their parallel.
>>
>>80763312
>Shen is a peacook not a rooster
>Tai Lung is a snow leopard not a tiger
>Kai is a yak not an ox
>>
They reaaally need to step up the stakes for the fourth movie, if it happens. Kung Fu Panda 2 gave us a whole metropolis in peril and a real sense that Shen and his army were a huge threat to all China.

Whereas in KFP3 we go back to a hardly populated Valley of Peace, an even smaller Panda Village and an impressive-looking, but empty Spirit Realm, and despite being constantly told Kai's causing all kinds of havoc through China we never really get to feel the peril China is under thanks to him.

Heck, at least with Tai-Lung we had a scene where panicking villagers are being evacuated.
>>
>>80764774
Kai has that incredibly cheap Jade Talisman move for anyone that gets close.
>>
>>80761297

I'd say Kai was more of a 6. He wasn't terrible, just underdeveloped. They could have easily have shaved time from the panda village, removed the random ship in a fucking desert, and given that extra time to Kai to show us his character. We know he spoke to his jade amulets, so maybe he was hearing the voices of those he captured. This would have been the backbone of his comedy; Oogway talking shit to him while in jade form, while also showing Kai's struggle to identify who he is in a world that has forgotten him.

As it stands, he's just like Tai in that they're both "a great evil", but don't get to fully express what it is that makes them such a threat. In Tai's case, we only knew he was resentful of being built up for greatness and then denied, while Kai wanted power for some reason and was denied access to it.

Shen is pretty much perfect. Able to stand up against Po despite a considerable size difference. Nearly broke Po's spirit without even really meaning to originally (and then preying on this weakness when he noticed it). And overall just being a great tragic villain who brings about his own downfall.

>>80765494

This. The next film needs to be on the scale of KFP2, if not a step above.
>>
File: KFP Villains.png (2 MB, 4808x1016) Image search: [Google]
KFP Villains.png
2 MB, 4808x1016
>>80764074
I like my idea better
>>
>>80764014
there are surprisingly few Dreamworks faces
but wow do I hate these covers, why is every studio doing them now
>>
I really can't imagine what the 4th movie could be about. I read a comment though that it could finally be the characters going to war. The 5 have been in war before and they have apparently pulled off all sorts of bullshit. So, all we need is a new general and a ideology that while flawed could be seen as understandable.

War will give Po a chance to lose someone or something. And he needs to lose something. So far all he's done is gain.
>>
>>80767954
I've been longing to see a moment where Po is broken inside and loses it, goes into no-bullshit berserk against his foes and needs a friend to snap him out of it before he goes too far.
>>
>>80767804
The last movie is about Po learning that everything he's done is a lie and his entire fate is being controlled by malevolent, intergalactic aliens (advance humans) for their own amusement. Po has lost his use and his planet is destroyed and everyone that Po knows and loves is killed. He is transported to the Spirit Realm to plan his revenge and to destroy the Galactic Empire, who is ruled by a clone of Lord Shen as God-Emperor, on life support and his brain in a jar with the power of Psychokinesis. Po kills Lord Shen III and destroys both the Galactic Empire and the Human Race.
>>
>>80768007

I remember a few months back, some anon claiming to be one of the script writers for KFP3 mentioned his draft involved Po being turned into a puppet of sorts and used to fight everyone else.
>>
>>80767906
they're cheap to make.
>>
>>80761246
>Blue
>Red
>Green
Neat.
>>
>>80764626

Kisscartoon has the movie.
>>
>>80768227

Also makes them easier to ID in a streaming queue.
>>
>>80768437
>>80768227
>>80767906
Also this.
>>
>>80763186

Good lord, that was terrible. Is the whole movie like that?
>>
>>80768552
It felt very disappointing, yes.
>>
>>80768552
Saddly, yes.

>We waited five years for it.
>>
>>80767804
Oogway spirit should be the mastermind of the last movie
>>
>>80768577

The fight wasn't too bad, it was just Po dragged out his wonderment of getting powers too long.
>>
Why do people like Shen so much?

All I get is just "oh, my parents hate me, but not really, so I'm gonna slaughter some pandas!"
>>
>>80769296
Because he was a great character and well written with an amazing voice actor.

Also sexy as fuck
>>
>>80769340
How was he a great character, though? He seemed whiny.
>>
>>80769296
Aside from his troubled nature, he had some of the best lines. He was involved throughout the movie. Beautiful character design. His animation sequences were a lot of fun. He also brought the encroachment of scientific advances into the battle with Kung Fu. In a lot of ways it was science vs mysticism.

He wasn't a Kung Fu master of any renown. He knew his stuff, but he supplemented the mastery with gun powder, which as we know changed the landscape of warfare.
>>
>>80762429
>In terms of characterization
>Shen>Tai lung>Kai
>Voice acting
>Tai>Shen>Kai

Now this, I can agree with!
>>
>>80769361
>He seemed whiny.

What? He never actually whined about anything.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A89raehoAJc
>>
>>80770092

This and Tai Lung's escape were excellent introductions.

Kai's intro was very disappointing in comparison. Although I did like the bit about nobody knowing who he was and how he seemed genuinely surprised/impressed that Po actually knew about him.
>>
>>80768552
>>80768577
>>80768627
Pretty though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN66jXz3uTo
>>
>>80761296
Flipland? I was surprised when my friend told me, I was pretty sure I missed it already during January. But hey, that means I can watch it at the Cinema
>>
File: 15555511.jpg (65 KB, 720x539) Image search: [Google]
15555511.jpg
65 KB, 720x539
>Tai Lung was clearly sent to the Spirit realm
>Where 30% of the movie takes place
>Never mentioned outside Po offhandely saying he deafeted him with the Wuxi Finger Hold
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.