[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cartoonfag here, are comics worth getting into?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: M3p0L.png (19 KB, 306x125) Image search: [Google]
M3p0L.png
19 KB, 306x125
Cartoonfag here, are comics worth getting into?
>>
>>80754594
No.
>>
>>80754594
Yes.
>>
>>80754594

Yes.

It pretty much the same thing except cartoon got more pictures.
>>
>>80754594
No.
>>
can you repeat the question
>>
And you're not so big.
>>
It really depends on what you're asking for. Certain franchises have a worse quality history than others. Certain creator owned series will take huge breaks between volumes even if you like them better and that can be pretty annoying as well.

There's plenty of free shit in storytimes here and on comixology and probably other places too if you just want to see if you can get into panel by panel storytelling in general.
>>
>>80754594
Yes. No matter what kind of cartoons you like, silly kids ones like Spongebob, more teenage ones ones like Justice League, or adult animation like Fritz the Cat and Heavy Metal there is a comic for everyone.

Not only that but one of the major artistic drawbacks in animation is the fact that you have a whole crew of individuals who make the final product. As beautiful as a Disney film is, it's still part of a giant corporate network. In comics, even the biggest Marvel and DC titels always come down to less than 5 people making the comic, as opposed to a team of dozens.
>>
File: lavgcio.jpg (21 KB, 185x272) Image search: [Google]
lavgcio.jpg
21 KB, 185x272
you should never get into anything OP

seriously no media form has enough good content enough that you should get into it just on the basis that you might be missing out

except books, go read a book

no seriously comic books are way more terrible than they are good and i only continue to consume them out of a nostalgic love for certain characters

graphic novels are good though, read those
pic related

i firmly believe that serializing anything is the fastest way to make it go to shit
>>
>>80754594
Cartoons are, with maybe a handful of exceptions, exclusively for children.

Comics cover pretty much every possible genre and demographic, as long as you don't get stuck worshipping capeshit like most of /co/.
>>
>>80754594
Sonichu
>>
>>80754865
except velvet glove was serialized you fuck, it was in eightball which was an ongoing comic book
>>
Yep, comics have more content like other printed media compared to on screen ones.
>>
>>80755038
if you need me to explain the difference to you you are lost my son
>>
>>80755138
there is no fucking difference, the fact that you call a trade a graphic novel shows you're lost in that pretentious hole most indie comic readers get into when they first start reading them
>>
>>80755203
ok ill bite

the significant difference is that clowes is an artist with dignity who plans his stories out and knows how it will end

this is in stark contrast to comic books by the big two that are written on the fly
>>
>>80755593
clowes even admits in interviews that he changes shit as he's writing thrm, all artists do. it's apart of the creative process, even painters and illustrators can get epiphanies midway through a project and change the entire thing. that isn't a gauge as to what makes an artist good or bad
>>
>>80755593
Who's talking about Big Two here?
>>
>>80755957
i was
>>80755885
its a sliding scale
>>
If you want something "worth getting into" then read a book or watch a movie. Preferably a movie made more than a decade ago and a book written more than a century ago.
>>
>>80754594
No.
Go read mango instead or a shitty webcomic, it's shit too but at least better than capeshit comics.
>>
>>80754865
Except Velvet Glove isn't a graphic novel, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>80756047
Well you should stop narrowing the scope of discussion so much, OP asked about comics, not specifically Big Two corporate comics.
>>
Of course not. Cartoons are like comics except with music and voices and movement and shit. Why would you downgrade to picture books? There's a reason far more people watch cartoons than read comics. Fuck, there's a reason far more people watch Marvel movies/shows than read Marvel comics.
>>
>>80754594
Don't bother, comics are just a meme industry anyways. I only use /co/ for the live-action discussion.
>>
>>80754865
graphic novels are comics
comics are graphic novels
get over yourself
>>
So much cancer in one thread.
>>
>>80756737
No, graphic novel has an actual definition (something published in a single installment) and he seems to be referring to that since he contrasts it to serial publishing though he is incorrect about the series he uses as an example. You're the one who should get over himself. There's no sense in getting bootyblasted at every mention of the term just because it's generally misused by pretentious people.
>>
>>80756897
"Sequential art."
>>
Just stick with cartoons and the MCU
>>
>>80754594
depends on what you are into

if you like su, at, etc, you don't have much to read
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.