[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things about comics that bug you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
I dont mean 'why do you hate comics?'. Because I love comics. I fucking love them. but sometimes some facet will annoy me, or just distract me a moment.

Wondering what does that for you.

Like how in the DC and Marvel universe there are all these fucking crazy inventors and scientists who make these amazing sci-fi breakthroughs and innovations in engineering. Hovercrafts, jet packs, limitless fuel supplies, instant cures for diseases, jet packs, teleportation machines, anti gravity beams, jet packs.
And yet most of the time the world is just the same everyday world we live in today. Well what the fuck why wouldn't shit be ridiculously advanced. Its like every super hero is living a hundred and fifty years in the future and just didn't fucking bother updating anyone else.
>>
>>80738621
Am issue of relatabiltity
Plus you could just no prize that shit isn't economically viable for mass production/unsafe. Also Spiders invented some stuff that made it into mainstream circulation and Reed has an extortion racket where he promises not to destroy several industries with his inventions.
>>
>>80738621
>Things about the Big 2 that bug you
ftfy
>>
>>80738621
Different writers and thus different continuities.
>>
File: 1456561716840.jpg (70 KB, 944x1048) Image search: [Google]
1456561716840.jpg
70 KB, 944x1048
>>80738621
There's not enough freaking out over shit.
I don't care how often you've saved the world, if there a portal to hell opened up in your livingroom or a hundred-foot tall man about to eat your planet, these things should stress you out.
I'm talking nervous tics, nightmares, longterm therapy, ulcers, drinking problems, the works.
When the second alien race of raygun using compulsive invaders promise genocidal revenge upon you personally it's time for a nervous breakdown.
>>
>>80738997
Yeah you have to wonder why anyone lives in NYC anymore since it has more crime and devastation than every other part of the world combined...and nobody seems to care.
>>
>>80738728
Thank you.
>>
>>80738621
In comics, half of the worlds greatest scientists/inventors punch criminals and the other half robs banks. It's ridiculous when you think about it.
>>
>>80738621
You mean 'things about DC and Marvel that bug you'

Image doesn't get bloated with crossover 'worlds too big but we'll keep on writing' shit because all (or most) of their comics are really good, and standalones, same for other companies.
>>
File: queen4.jpg (303 KB, 1024x1280) Image search: [Google]
queen4.jpg
303 KB, 1024x1280
>>80738621
I kinda hate when the hero/protagonist escapes or ends a situation where he gets lucky.
>>
>>80738621
Marvel works on a sliding timeline, and DC reboots so often it might as well too.

That means the first superheroes, the Fantastic Four, arrived about 15 years ago.

Now compare real-life development: The cellphone first arrived in the eighties. They were the size of refrigerators, yes, but that's when they started appearing. At that time, they were only for the rich elite. It took almost 30 years for that tech to become efficient and prolific and mostly cheap enough that nowadays, everybody has a phone.

Similarly, Marvel scientists may invent these fantastic things, but for that tech to become cheap enough for mass production, it'll be years. So for now, only the elite have access to it.
>>
Why don't comics ever end?
Why do all comics pander to casuals?
Why don't comics expand into more genres?
Why do all comics keep getting relaunched every year?
Why don't comics have any inexpensive anthology series?
Why do all comics have a sliding timeline that doesn't make sense?
Why don't comics ever have any new characters instead of successions of legacy characters?
>>
>>80739277
>Why don't comics ever end?
Because people enjoy reading them and like the characters.
>Why do all comics pander to casuals?
Because Pandering only to longtime fans means for every fan who stops reading comics you never gain any new ones.
>Why don't comics expand into more genres?
They do, you just don't read those. Seriously name a genre, im sure someone here will name a few comics in said genre.
>Why do all comics keep getting relaunched every year?
MONEY MONEY MONEY MOOOOOOONEY.........MOOOOOOOOOOOOONEY!
>Why don't comics have any inexpensive anthology series?
By anthology series do you mean collections of unrelated stories like short story collections, or just larger collections of their current series. Not quite sure on that one.
>Why do all comics have a sliding timeline that doesn't make sense?
Ugh I know. I imagine its the lesser of two evils when the other option is a reboot. And look how nu52 got received.
>Why don't comics ever have any new characters instead of successions of legacy characters?
Brand recognition! The 90s was rife with failed new IP after new IP after new IP. And some were written halfway decent considering it was the goddamn 90s and a dark age of comic writing for anything not with the word 'vertigo' in the top left corner. But they all went right down the tubes because nobody gave a shit about new characters unless it was the garbage Image churned out at the time.
>>
How the big companies absorb everything into the multiverse. Marvel, DC. Whatever happened to standalone? This is why I find myself reading alot of image and dark horse anymore. Some valiant.
>>
>>80739414
Yeah I find I am slowly drifting in the direction of Image, Dynamite, and IDW.

Also fuck DC for absorbing wildstorm into the normal DC universe. They neutered the authority and ive never forgiven them for it.
>>
>>80738621

IIRC, one of the early Fraction arcs showed that one of Stark's greatest fears was him feeling obsolete in such a world.

That he purposely doesn't share his greatest tech so he can still play the hero.

It's still a pointless agreement though because even some of their low tier tech would bleed into the industry and advance the world by decades of progress.

I guess it's just the Marvel way to try and force the world to be grounded as our own.
>>
>time travel exists
>it isn't their go to solution for everything
>>
Why has noone in any comic book addressed that Atheism shouldn't be a thing anymore?

Seriously think about it. There is no doubt the supernatural and gods exist. People come back from the dead and some have stories about heaven and hell and shit. The devil regularly fights the silver surfer and ghost rider.
Yet there are somehow still atheists.
>>
>captain cold is the first man to master absolute zero.
>uses it for petty crimes instead of patenting it.
>>
>>80739584
Psht, thats called being pragmatic
>>
>>80738621

yeah OP's point is pretty good and that extends beyond technology too. The X-Men should just have Elixir somewhere healing like, literally everyone who is injured/sick/dying 24/7.

- Eternal reboots, even if it's more of an economic necessity than a bad-writing-decision usually, it's still a problem for the whole medium
- The just absurdly over-aggressive way that even heroes treat each other, it just never feels psychologically real that people can go from punching each other in the face to being best friends again in like 2 panels
- Over reliance on parallel universes
- "Villain of the week" style series
>>
Aging inconsistency sometimes bugs me.

Not specifically that due to the sliding timescale noone really ages. But that some people never age, and some do...but just a little....and others age more?

Like i feel like jubilee and kitty pryde aged into relatively the same place despite one popping up decades before the other. And when you begin comparing the aging of the Franklin and Valeria richards it gets even more nonsensical.
>>
>>80739550
Gods and devils make their marks on our world all the time, yet we still have atheists as well.
>>
>>80739765
No people interpret shit as the marks of gods and devils. Thats why we call em faiths. Whether any of them are in fact a sign of gods or devils is something people believe in or do not. Thor does not float down from the sky and hit shit with thunder, Satan does not rise from the pit and fly around fighting a guy with a flaming skull on a motorcycle in full view of the public, people don't die then come back months or years later on a regular basis, swarms of demons dont get beaten back into their mystic portals by flamboyant sorcerers above the streets of new york city.

Theres a marked difference.
>>
>>80738621
alternate versions of the same heroes meeting all the time
I don't mind Red Son story. I don't mind vampire Batman. I don't mind alternate heroes in their own universes - that can be really fun.

But when Batman meets Batman #2 and Batman #3 for a fourth time in a week... that's shit. Spiderverse is shit, because I don't care about all those spidermen when their number reaches 20+. Give me a team of 20 individuals and I'm cool with it. Team of (or war between) 20 people with nearly the same origin, nearly always the same name and same powers is shit.
Also - why on Earth-2 or -3 after Bruce Wayne dies HIS FUCKIN' FATHER takes up a mantle of Batman? In Flashpoint Paradox that was so cool. On Earth where there really was Bruce-as-Batman was there really no one else to take up the mantle but Thomas? Why?
>>
>>80738621
OP should read Planetary if you haven't. I used to wonder why guys that could cure cancer, or show us the negative zones existence never really did anything useful outside of their fights with villains.
>>
>>80738621
I like comics because they're so free, they can really be anything
That's true of any art form but comics are small and relatively cheap
I just feel like even with that people feel the need to follow a lot of not necessarily stupid but very restrictive conventions
I guess people just aren't as original as they could be
All these stories being told over and over again, it's very tiresome
>>
>>80740029
Take comic pacing for instance
It's all pretty much the same which made sense a long time ago but in the modern age it's just unnecessary
Things could just be so much more experimental, but comic companies refuse to change
>>
>>80740029
>>80740046
read outside the big two

you want a recommendation, portable frank by jim woodring, a completely wordless story
>>
Nobody fills the tires of the batmobile

It's a fucking story
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.