[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you thing it's irresponsible for DC to have an R-rated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9
File: superman no.jpg (31 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
superman no.jpg
31 KB, 600x300
Do you thing it's irresponsible for DC to have an R-rated Superman?
>>
>>80730182

Kids don't give a god damn about ratings, you wouldn't believe the number of sixth graders I teach bragging to me about their parents taking them to see Deadpool.
>>
>>80730182
So it's really anal, huh.

>>80730282
R-rating in the US only means that it's restricted to 17 and under without a parent or guardian present, so those bragging kids are just bragging that the system works - they're allowed in, accompanied.

In areas where there's a lower aged rating, Deadpool seems to have gotten those instead, but that's not available in the US; it's a failing of the number of ratings the US system has and your own failure to recognize that which is at fault here.

Also no, I wouldn't believe the number of sixth graders you teach who are bragging about it are actually going to see it. They're sixth graders, they lie to fit in.
>>
>>80730182
It would be extremely unnecessary.
>>
>>80730182
I just don't really understand the point. It's not like he has a Killing Joke type story that has any particularly rated-R level material in it.
>>
>>80730426
Saying the word fuck more than once gets you an R rating.
>>
>>80730182
I think it's far more irresponsible to imply supersex isn't rated R.
>>
>>80730182
It's not a Superman movie

Iit's a Superman and Batman featuring Wonder Woman also Flash and Aquaman movie

R rating is only for violence so it's not like they'll be dropping fuck bombs

Just a little blood can mean the difference between R and PG-13 like with Avengers 1
>>
>>80730445
since when is saying fuck an integral part of any character in pretty much any superman story?
>>
>>80730282
>sixth graders
i saw 6 year old come and see deadpool
>>
>>80730182
Do you think its irresponsible of you to pretend something being rated R carries any sort of weight or implications? I do.
>>
>>80730282
>>80730527
That's not that bad honestly. I saw A Clockwork Orange with my older brother when I was only 5 and I turned out fine.
>>
>>80730493
I'm just illustrating the fact that rating system in America is arbitrary. If you can say the word fuck once and get away with pg-13 than how does saying two more times get you an "R" rating?
>>
>>80730387
I work at a movie theater and you can believe the number of sixth graders whose parents have taken them to see it because its a fuckload and a fucking load 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st graders too.
>>
>>80730564
>posting on /co/
>fine

>>80730182
no, Kingdom Come would have been rated R for sure.
>>
>>80730580
What country do you live in?
>>
>>80730631
America
>>
>>80730493
Whell I've always seen Lois lane as capable of cursing a blue streak.
>>
>>80730645
Only country that matters.
>>
>>80730493
Rated for violence not language, you fuck
>>
No, it's about time R rated movies made a comeback.
>>
>>80730698
what violence? Superman literally just punches guys.
>>
The movie is R-rated though, they dont rate characters.
>>
>>80730493
It's Superman, not Bibleman.
>>
>>80730745
>what violence? Superman just literally commits violence.
>>
>>80730645
That explains it.
>>
>>80730745
Probably coming from Batman's part.
>>
>>80730182
About as irresponsible as having an R-rated Hobbit
>>
>>80730182
No. Kids don't care about superheroes.
>>
>>80730897
>he said during the biggest Superhero boom.
>>
>>80730493
Superman has met John Constantine. That's all I can think of.
>>
>>80730897
I can always take heart that I will never be as wrong as this guy.
>>
File: 1421118095220.jpg (46 KB, 317x379) Image search: [Google]
1421118095220.jpg
46 KB, 317x379
>>80730282
>>80730387
> Never allowed to watch r rated movies as a kid
> Current year generation kids are completely carefree
It's not fair, this fucking sucks.
>>
>>80730897

They don't care much about the comics themselves, but kids fucking love superheroes.

I have a young cousin who just turned three years old, who's currently obsessed with Spider-man.
>>
>>80730822
there is PG 13 violence and R rated violence. Just as there is a difference between punching someone in the face and ripping off their skin with your teeth.
>>
>>80730745
Its most likely Batman or Wonder Woman
>>
>>80730282
I remember seeing Borat with my friends and dad for my birthday when it came out and I was still a HS freshman
>>
>>80730984
Literally a little extra blood can make the difference
>>
>>80730937
Lobo.
>>
>>80730950

I wasn't allowed to watch R-rated anything until I was of age either. My parents would actually preview movies before deciding whether to rent them for me and my brothers to watch. (Jurassic Park got a pass, but six-year old me got too scared by the T-Rex to actually finish the movie)
>>
>>80730840
Its been happening in other countries you know, stop being so ignorant.
>>
>>80730984
Punching can get pretty brutal anon.
>>
Whoops, excuse the small typo there I must have not been paying attention.
>>
>>80731029
Sure. But if that's all it is, what's the point? Does a little extra blood add anything to the characters? the story? the stakes?
>>
>>80730950
It's not as bad as you think. I know a few parents who won't even let their kids watch PG-13 movies.
>>
>>80731087
Yes.
>>
>>80731196

I know it was a big fucking deal for me when my parents thought that at 11 I was able to handle a PG-13 movie that they rented.
>>
>>80731087
If it's irrelevant than why not add it?
>because less is more
Not when it comes to Battle damage.
>>
>>80731273
I thought it was a big deal for 9-year old me when I got the T-rated Smash Bros. Melee back in 2002
>>
>>80730387
R in murrika = pg13 in most of the world.
The only reason Deadpool was R in murrika was his dick in the naked fight.
>>
File: R-Rated movie.png (746 KB, 444x808) Image search: [Google]
R-Rated movie.png
746 KB, 444x808
>>80730182

>superman

Superman has nothing to do with the R Rate.
>>
No. I don't think you know what irresponsible is, or at least I have no idea what it has to do with this context.
>>
>>80730282
... Which proves they care about ratings, just not the way they're intended to.
>>
>>80730182
Look, if it means I get to see Lois Lane's titties I'm honestly A-OK with it.

Otherwise though, what's the point?
>>
>>80730573
Because you have to make cutoffs somewhere. Of course it's arbitrary, what are you, dense?
>>
>>80730631
Non-americans tend to use kids' ages and not what grade they're in.
>>
>>80731757
And all the blood and gore.
>>
>>80730580
Yeah, but that doesn't mean the rating system doesn't work. The R-rating is supposed to work that way. They're literally allowed in with their parents, because their parents are exercising discretion over the media their children consume.

>>80731757
It was a 15 in the UK, which excludes younger patrons even if they're accompanied (whereas a 12A wouldn't have, but is the next category down - 12A isn't interchangeable with PG-13, either).

In France it was restricted to patrons aged 12 or over, but this was the lowest rating it received. In most territories, it was restricted to 15 years or older; excepting Canada (13 in Quebec, 14A in most of the rest of Canada), Hong Kong, where a specially edited version earned a IIB rating (basically PG) but the unedited release earned a III (18+), Portugal (14+), and Italy - apparently a Tutti (T) rating, suitable for all audiences, but they only have three ratings; in Mexico over 15s still have to be (officially) accompanied by adults to see it; in the US, Spain, Singapore, Manitoba and Ontario (Canada), South Korea, Malaysia and of course not forgetting Hong Kong, it was an 18-only affair.

Except that in the US if you're accompanied by an adult, you can see an R-rated movie, so I guess it's lucky it only got an R, not an NC-17, which would have prevented that.

As you can see by examining the various ratings and their meanings, it was very much hit and miss as to whether it was barred to younger patrons or not. In China, it was outright banned - but since they only take a fixed number of foreign films every year, that's not really a good indicator of how offended they were.

>>80732129
The ratings aren't intended to frighten them, they're intended to give everybody pause to consider whether they want to expose themselves to something. Ratings aren't censorship; bans are censorship.
>>
>>80732187
Just a word m8
>>
>>80732801
Yep, but an R-rating is more likely to entice a kid to watch something than have them think about whether it's appropriate or not.
Nobody implied ratings are censorship.
>>
>>80732801
I never said anything about the rating system, just that there were tons of kids seeing the movie.
>>
>>80732878
No way! Is "fuck" a word? Thanks for the insight you kike fag autist.
>>
File: leave-the-civilians-to-me.jpg (40 KB, 576x239) Image search: [Google]
leave-the-civilians-to-me.jpg
40 KB, 576x239
5000++ confirmed dead (excluding smallville).... and no intention for helping at all
>>
>>80735765
>saving the world from being terraformed
>saving the children in the bus
>saving the soldiers fighting zods goons
>saving the world by killing zod
This cheap bait tastes so bad
>>
>>80730423

for you
>>
File: Tiny-Superman-2-thumb-550x523.jpg (74 KB, 550x523) Image search: [Google]
Tiny-Superman-2-thumb-550x523.jpg
74 KB, 550x523
>>80735765

I know right? He should have send his miniature version to help everyone as he fought Zod.
>>
>>80730573

I think you can say fuck a few times in a PG-13, as long as it isn't in the sexual sense. The movie "Across The Universe" has the word fuck said 2 or 3 times if I remember correctly.
>>
Do you think you're capable of not asking retarded questions?
>>
File: bvs11.jpg (586 KB, 800x1104) Image search: [Google]
bvs11.jpg
586 KB, 800x1104
As their main Superman movie?
Yes.

Not that I really think you need it for Superman anyway. Maybe a Batman one or Lobo.

You shouldn't be selling a whole kids toy line based on an adult movie. They had Rambo and Aliens when I was a kid. That is kinda bullshit.

I guess can be fun for parents to buy kids toys from R Rated movies they like. Yet this is Superman for fuck's sake.

Even Batman I wish they had separate kids movies and adult ones.

Have a caped crusader one acessable for kids and a darker one for adults. Not even BatB cartoon or 66 levels of camp, but an all ages DC Comics.

Then also have separate adult Batman and DC films. The character works on both levels. The. also make an R Rated dark Arkham Asylum film based on Morrison and McKean's book or on Killing Joke.

Don't have a major kids toy line based on an R Rated flick.
>>
File: JoseLuisGarciaLopezSuperman.jpg (75 KB, 500x405) Image search: [Google]
JoseLuisGarciaLopezSuperman.jpg
75 KB, 500x405
>>80730482
There is no fucking reason to have R Rated violence in a fucking DC superhero movie.

This isn't fucking Mircle Man. The Justice League shouldn't be fucking Watchmen.

Fuck the idiots at DC and Warners that keep thinking it should be.

Fuck Man Of Steel. Fuck Identity Crisis.

If you wanna publish a mature readers book, label it as a separate stand alone book or as a whole separate imprint for them.
>>
>>80738626
>The Justice League shouldn't be fucking Watchmen.

Why?
>>
>>80738626
Avengers was initially rated R because of Coulson's death

Hobbit was rated R because of a knife going through an orc's hand

You expect Superman to rip off a guy's head and fuck the hole? Not happening desu.
>>
>>80730182

I always wished for a toned down Silver Age Superman on the big screen. Recently rewatched the Superman - The Movie and realized we already got that. I'm content. Pure Silver Age Superman stuff is something for cartoons, Brave and the Bold style, which would make me cum so hard. Would be a nice counterweight to the movies.

I think Man of Steel is fine for what it is, Henry Cavill looks the part of a Clark that's just starting out and has no control yet. And R-rated, so what? Kids have watched R-rated movies since the concept existed and the character of the new films is widely known by now. It's the parents fault if the don't research the movie they are taking their kids to see. They just have to watch the trailer.
>>
>>80735765

You can't have both a "realistic" setting and a Superman that does impossible things. He did all the good he was capable of.

I love Super Mary Sue (aka All Star) but it just wouldn't work in that setting. Make it a cartoon.
>>
>>80730182
It's pretty desperate.
>>
>>80738742
square peg round hole
critiques of a genre are better able to get their message across if they have a degree of separation from the specific things they are criticizing
no one would care about Watchmen if it used the newly acquired Charlton comic characters as originally planned. It would just be that edgy story where Captain Atom and Peter Thunderbolt fucked up the world.
>>
>>80730182
It's a Batman movie as well. The theatrical cut will be PG-13. I can take my brother and my cousin to see it. When the R cut comes out on Blu-Ray then I can watch that.

The R-rating is for violence not nudity or profanity.

Most new Batman stories aren't really aimed specifically at children and haven't been since the late '80s. If you adapted Killing Joke or ASHOSE you'd almost certainly get an R-rating.
>>
File: 1445234860154.jpg (42 KB, 280x309) Image search: [Google]
1445234860154.jpg
42 KB, 280x309
>>80738626
>There is no fucking reason to have R Rated violence in a fucking DC superhero movie.
Why not?
>>
>>80738626
Wow, an actual mouth breather.
>>
>>80730182
i think it's irresponsible that your parents let you on the internet
>>
>>80730182
Don't give a shit. Not sorry.
>>
I don't think "irresponsible" is the word I'd use.

I wonder if some day we'll have R-rated Pokemon or Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger movies.
>>
>>80738626
>Thinking people take Tripfags seriously
Hey I'm Xenos and I ruin every board I'm a part of.
>>
>>80730282
I was born in 84 and pretty sure watched terminator, alien, conan the barbarian, robocop and jurassic park as a little kid. I also played a lot of mortal kombat in arcades. and I think most kids my age did the same things.
>>
>>80738626
Shut the fuck up, Boco.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.