[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>There are people on this board who thought this was a good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
>There are people on this board who thought this was a good adaptation.
>>
File: NAHMAN JAHYDEN EFF BEE EYE.jpg (143 KB, 1044x767) Image search: [Google]
NAHMAN JAHYDEN EFF BEE EYE.jpg
143 KB, 1044x767
>>80720165
One such fag reporting in, sir!
>>
it was alright.
>>
Keyword being adaptation...yes it was a good adaptation.

Think about the whole context. Hollywood, executives, jews, etc. The fact that we got the movie as we got it its a fucking miracle.
>>
>>80720165
>muh giant squid~
>>
>>80720229
This movie has more problems than its lack of squids, famm.
>>
>>80720304
Be lucky the watchmen are not a group of teenagers from the 90s (because thats the new retro) that protest against Bush and fight climate change.

Anyone saying the movie is not faithful enough has shit for brains, I still cant believe how they let Zack Snyder get away with a 4 hours movie that represents mostly faithfully most of the plot.
>>
>>80720579
>that protest against Bush and fight climate change.

Isn't that pretty much what the V For Vendetta movie did though?
>>
>>80720682
I think the point was that Snyder was more faithful to the book than the Wachowskis were.
>>
Yes, it was a good adaptation. It wasn't a perfect adaptation, but it was definitely *good*.
>>
Can anyone actually meaningfully articulate what was wrong with it?
>>
>>80720719
That I agree with, but it was still a bad and misjudged adaptation.
>>
As a weeaboo trying to get into western comics, a friend recommended me the comic as my first western comic. I thought it was amazing.

I saw the movie maybe a year or so later. I only saw it once, but I thought it was pretty good. What exactly is the major source of cynicism with this movie? Also I am a fan of adapting a work as closely as possible and to that end, I felt satisfied.
>>
>>80720803
I actually agree with that part, too.
>>
It was definitely not as panel to panel adaptations that most people claim, but it was a good movie nonetheless.
>>
>>80720796
2long
>>
>>80720796
Misses some subtext and themes and sometimes even goes against them, usually to try look more cool than necessary (all these heroes are normal humans yet Owl and Silk in their retirement years could break those thugs' bones and laugh about it later)

I don't blame it necessarily on Snyder, it's tough material adapt, I just don't like when some people (like Snyder himself) say it couldn't be done better, as if being a good adaptation of a comic means copy-pasting panels and dialogue instead of just trying to offer the same kind of feels and messages while following the general storyline

That being said I still like the movie, it just isn't the same as the comic
>>
I stopped watching after 15 minutes.
I hate Zach Snyder's visuals, they look god awful in every movie he's ever made.
>>
Apologists of this flick, please tell me why did The Comedian have a change of heart?
>>
>>80720978
I was looking for something more specific and concrete and backed up with examples. I appreciate that you probably don't want to write and essay on the spot but people say things like "misses some subtext and themes and sometimes even goes against them" but they're rarely ever specific about exactly what they're referring to and how it actually missed them.

I don't necessarily think that people are wrong, but feel that the criticism it gets isn't backed up adequately.
>>
>>80720796
Well I thought the biggest loss was the silk spectre character. In the book she was the emotional core and arguably the most interesting character
But, they had a mediocre actress chosen mostly for how she filled out the costume, and an already bloated run time so they chopped out alot of the great emotional scenes with her.

That being said I feel like alot of the other criticisms are just nitpicking. Cutting the squid was probably a good choice. Making Nite Owl (and the other non-super characters) more badass kind of legitimizes his years of superhero service. Character driven scenes that were cut were still alluded to. Taking out some of the citizen characters to make room for all the other shit was probably very necessary.

I feel like they did the best they could while still following the traditional hollywood formula. Is it perfect? Of course not. But it's not as bad as people like to cry about it. People think it makes them look cool to hate it
>>
File: 1453048895319.jpg (11 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1453048895319.jpg
11 KB, 256x256
>>80721120
I see what you mean, but i haven't seen the movie or read the comic in ages so maybe i'm not the most qualified to make more examples, but i'll try

There's the example about violence i already made, Snyder likes to be graphic and he influences the characters making everyone a bit more of a sadist. As i already said, Laurie and Danny annihilate those thugs and smile about it, Rorshcarch "puts down" the little girl's kidnapper stabbing repeatadly his skull instead of burning his house down, in prison he talks about how killing criminals is a "pleasure" for him

About the costumes, some of them are kinda too "Hollywood approved", it might just be a detail but it feels wrong that Danny still looks so awesome in his Nite Owl suit, he doesn't come off as a parody of gadget-based characters like Batman, he just is Batman. There are other changes that make the story more movie-like, like when Rorscharch dies and we have Nite Owl going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" as if it was necessary and not a tired, laughable cliche, but i guess some were to be expected

Ozymandias is too much of a supreme gentleman, you can't trust that guy for even one second, he never comes off as a guy that tries to be good in his own twisted ways, he just looks like he wants to slap everyone in the room because they're so much sheep compared to him. Plus he's so skinny, makes all his feats look less realistic. And it's not only about Ozy, everyone is too absurdly powerful for the movie. For how long does the Comedian die before actually dying? I remember one of them punching and breaking a wall even (can't remember the exact scene). Wasn't Manhattan supposed to be the only super-guy?

Then there's all the stuff about the ending, but i guess that's more a matter of opinions. Some feel removing the squid was not only good, but necessary, some don't

That's all i can think about for now
>>
Imagine if Hayley Atwell played Silk...
Dear god muh dick.
And she would have been vastly better acting wise also.
>>
>>80720165
There are people on this board who keep making "There are people on this board..." threads.
>>
>>80720304
I don't like that they omitted the squid from the film, but I understand why they did it too. Snyder realized that the squid wouldn't sit well with a film audience.
>>
>>80722161
Dude, her tits wouldn't have fit in that latex costume.
>>
File: 1391172141225.jpg (743 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1391172141225.jpg
743 KB, 1920x1080
>>80720165

Watchmen movie was awesome until the end bit where they didn't put the space squid in. Would it have killed the producers to do that? No. Would it have made any difference to include squiddy rather than omit? No. It was done on a whim so cinema goers would get the dumber 'Dr Manhattan did it dur hur.' more easily. Dumbed down = bad.

Also I would not have let Nite Owl see Rorschach get killed by Jon if I was the director, there was no need. The whole point of getting Nite Owl to compromise with Ozy in the book is that he didn't see anything bad happen to him and Rorschach, they were partners in business, but still partners. Something nasty like that might have convinced owl to tell Adrian to go fuck himself and his offer right off. Jon would have had to kill owl as well due to owl witnessing the murder of Rorschach. Didn't make sense.

Otherwise a pretty good adaption.
>>
>>80720165

at some parts it was even better than the source material.
>>
>>80723159

In the book, Nite Owl was like "Don't care my best buddy was a dead man walking and you just killed New York. Gonna sex up Silk Specter". It's not so much "Muh Squid" that Snyder changed it that he changed it that it wasn't just "lol I did it 35 minutes ago" and everyone else is "OK you blew up New york to end the Cold War. Cool, see ya later" while Doc Manhattan is like "brb blowing up Rorschach so he doesn't narc on us".

Snyder changed it that Dan and Laurie are upset and afraid at what their friend did in murdering millions but don't talk about it because he was right, even when what Adrian did was wrong. Adrian isn't at ease with what he did because he killed friends and family but he had to do it for the greater good of humanity. Manhattan has his chance at being at peace on Mars while bringing peace on earth if it means accepting the blame. Adrian even lets Dan punch him in the face after Manhattan kills Rorschach because even he knows Dan is right. It's a better ending because it's more uneasy and tense and it makes the genocide less trivial than it was in the comic.
>>
I loved watchmen as well, one of my favorite movies, the only I see is that it ends with peace instead of everyone blaming the USA for creating Dr. Manhattan in the first place, even if it was by accident, at the end everyone was like better not fight after have lost thousand of our own people because of some american weapon.

I thought specially now this would start even a bigger war against america now that dr manhattan is gone.
>>
>>80720165

It wasn't a good adaptation, but it was a movie that for the most part adhered faithfully to the visuals and story of the graphic novel, though not the majority of its intended themes and meanings.

Solid 7/10.
>>
>>80723822
Just to chime in but he blew up a lot more than just New York.

To me that made things bigger and was likely done so America did not immediately kill everyone who had looked at them funny.
>>
>>80721108
Everybody has their limits. Comedian was a sociopathic nihilist but there were some things in life he cared about, like Sally and his daughter, so even if he was jaded as fuck to current society and thought mankind was on the fast track to Armageddon, when he found out it was actually going to happen, well, even Ozymandius said couldn't ave predicted he's crack like he did.

I guess in the context of the film, it was just a matter of so much negativity piled up over the course of his life, he finally collapsed under the weight of it. The joke of life finally stopped being funny.

It's kind of like those tough guys that talk a big game and then when shit gets too real, they crumble. In a way, I can kind of see it being something Moore himself might've done with the character. It feels like he would take the piss out of this kind of character by making them break down and cry in the face of actual annihilation.

TL;DR It's kind of like when Joker got shot in Batman Beyond, even though he'd spent his life laughing at the death and misery of others, when he finally looked his own death in the face, it wasn't funny to him at all.
>>
I thought the Directors Cut saved it
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.