[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do action cartoons flop so badly nowadays and how can we
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 494x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 494x400
Why do action cartoons flop so badly nowadays and how can we save them?
>>
>>80718091
Because they rely on toys being sold and toys sadly no longer sell.
>>
>>80718130
This plus the tager audience for action toons moved over to vidya
>>
File: lenny ponders.gif (21 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
lenny ponders.gif
21 KB, 320x240
>>80718130

then how can we save them?
>>
>>80718130
This. Flawed business model in general.

They should focus on selling ad space to make money like real shows. Or at least get cable companies to raise fees to help them out. ESPN adds like $5 alone to your bill a month.
>>
Live action action can do pretty well this days. Cartoon action just doesn't seem to have a niche anymore. If we are going to market it, we need to break out of kiddie target audience and strict censorship. Or else it's just dumb.

I really long for some sci-fi cartoon which can actually have all sorts of aliens and mosters without having to spend obscene money on CGI or being limited by what puppets and make-up can do.
>>
>>80718091
On top of what everyone else said, it's generally cheaper to fill your line up with lolrandumb comedy shit, then to spend money on action cartoons which require generally consistent and more detailed animation.
>>
>>80718130
then make video games of those shows
>>
>>80718581
Why not just make it a videogame and call it a day? I mean, for example Mass Effect is epic 3D action cartoon and is interactive. How cool is that?
>>
>>80718191
Patreon
>>
File: Heavy-Metal.jpg (128 KB, 740x560) Image search: [Google]
Heavy-Metal.jpg
128 KB, 740x560
>>80718269
Agreed.

Something like Heavy Metal would do really well today, or at least I feel like it would.
>>
Too expensive to make and TV ratings are down across the board so they need things like toy sales to offset the expensive animation and dropping ratings. So it is just easier to make cheaper shows that don't rely on a lot of animation that get the same amount of views.
>>
Netflix is the savior.

Serialized shows on TV can't succeed anymore. Kids and teens have so many forms of entertainment vying for their attention that it just doesn't make sense to release episodes weekly and hope they remember to tune in.

However, a massive part of Netflix's success is due to the phenomenon known as "binge watching"-- watching through an entire serialized show or part of it in a single sitting. Shows like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and House of Cards have streaming serices to thank for their continued popularity.

Recently, shows such as Young Justice, Avatar: the Last Airbender, Justice League, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Archer, and even a slate of original anime shows have enjoyed a resurgence of interest from the teen demographic they were originally aimed at, and Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are constantly looking for ways to expand their original programming lineup.

During the airing of the Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon actually "cancelled" its live airings in favor of streaming release on its own website.

Television is now the domain only of episodic comedy targeted at children with low attention spans, and serialized cartoons can't make the cut anymore. If action shows are going to continue on, they're going to do it on streaming serivices.
>>
there's a stigma in America that cartoons are for children which isn't helped by hire ups subscribe to that belief allowing the belief to perpetuate itself
>>
>>80719026
>Television is now the domain only of episodic comedy targeted at children with low attention spans, and serialized cartoons can't make the cut anymore.
This isn't true. Most drama/action on TV is serialized and has prominent arcs.
>>
File: kagome mad.jpg (21 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
kagome mad.jpg
21 KB, 500x349
>>80718676

goddammit, but i hate Patreon.
>>
>>80719202
I'm talking about animation.

Adults, due to forming the habit over years, still watch TV and tune into shows every week, and DVRs just serve as tools in case they miss one.

Teens and YA don't watch TV and don't use DVRs because there's endless instant entertainment on Netflix.

Episodic cartoons are rarely aimed at adults, they're aimed at teens and YA.
>>
The Internet is the only place you can look to for help on this. Love it or hate it, Rooster Teeth has a wildly successful animated action series in the form of RWBY. As well, there's always Kickstarter and like >>80719026 said there are various streaming networks that could very well pitch in. A surge of investment into animation for older audiences would get me excited for a future where retarded YouTube shit like Racist Mario and 3-minute animations of wacky exaggerated faces fall by the wayside.
>>
File: 1446172022202.png (77 KB, 278x200) Image search: [Google]
1446172022202.png
77 KB, 278x200
>>80718130
> toys no longer sell
Damn that's weird. Do kids nowadays really just play Call of Duty?
>>
>>80718091
Do you have more of these edits?
>>
>>80719493
mommies cell phone has quick games

its all kids ask for until they can hold a controller properly
>>
>>80719493
Pretty much, childhood creativity is basically only writing and art now.
>>
>>80719525
>>80719550
I don't see anything wrong with that?
>>
>>80718091
Cause today's youth is getting really screwed. Weak Saturday Morning cartoons. No real action lineup in the afternoons. Barely any anime to watch. The anime out there being really bleh animated~ just colorful. Pulling punches with the violence and sex. World is just a blander place for kids these days. It's no wonder you try to talk to someone and they have this "Huh!?" look on their face like they just woke up a few minutes ago. Their minds are off. Imaginations extinguished.
>>
>>80718091
Toys based on said toons don't sell anymore. Also, kids have short attention spans, watching a serious show will bore them immediately, hence the reason many action shows like SU and ATLA have light hearted moments.
>>
>>80719684
I don't think it's wrong but it is different. The animation industry needs to realize it though and stop thinking toy sales are everything.
>>
>>80718676
>>80719307
i hate patreon too, is a jewish site along with paypal and deviantart.
>>
>>80719792
They're not getting screwed. They can watch literally everything that has been made up to this point. You're acting as if they have no access to old material even though every cable provider, Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, etc has easily accessible backlogs. They don't need antiquated programming blocks like Saturday morning cartoons because they can watch what they want when they want with minimal difficulty.

The only people getting screwed are those looking to make money off kids entertainment since due to this access to old stuff there's no need for networks to even put money into them.
>>
>>80719493
Minecraft, man. That think like crack to kids and is on pretty much every platform known to man. It's also a merchandising juggernaut. Kids buy toys, but they aren't toys that are based on cartoons. Except maybe for TMNT which is still going strong it seems, but that just proves again that only the most toyetic and marketable action cartoons are the ones that are able to survive on TV.
>>
>>80719307
>>80719983
>tfw sam hyde has a patreon
>>
>>80718130
Or they don't even have any toys out, like with GL:TAS and Beware the Batman.

>>80719026
Indeed. I can't believe more people aren't hyped for the new Voltron series. It'll be the first full-blown action cartoon that Netflix is funding.
>>
>>80719312
>Teens and YA don't watch TV and don't use DVRs because there's endless instant entertainment on Netflix.

But not all families can afford Netflix.
>>
>>80719026
Netflix's cartoons have all been extremely low-budget, and the only ones that aren't reboots/adaptations are sitcoms.
>>
>>80724397
>But not all families can afford Netflix.
Netflix is cheaper than TV.
>>
>>80724508
But Netflix pretty much requires fast internet speed, which can be expensive
>>
>>80724552
Does dial-up even exist anymore?
>>
>>80724508
>>80724552
>>80724592
Do you really think niggers can afford luxury stuff?
>>
>>80724592
The fly-over states still lack proper internet infrastructure outside of the cities, and even then it's a crapshoot.
>>
>>80724662
This. It's the SJWs' fault that action cartoons fail.
>>
>>80718130
Toys still could sell, we just need to force them down unimaginative retarded fucks whod rather play COD.
>>
File: chicago trump protesters.jpg (13 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
chicago trump protesters.jpg
13 KB, 259x194
>>80718091

predictive programing?

the illuminati strikes again!
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.