[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how do I read the New 52? Because I thought this was just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Justice_League_0001.jpg (581 KB, 900x1355) Image search: [Google]
Justice_League_0001.jpg
581 KB, 900x1355
So how do I read the New 52? Because I thought this was just going to be simple, but there's like 8 crossovers instead.
>>
1. Start at issue 1
2. Keep reading
3. ???
4. Profit
>>
>how do I read every DC comic in the last 5 years
???
>>
>>80689609
Trade paperbacks? Idfk.
>>
Stop worrying about reading order, crossovers and continuity.

Focus on just reading characters you like, and look for quality content, not just content that "matters" to another book. It's not one long story, it's all self-contained arcs.

Want to read about Batman? Get Batman vol. 1 and keep going until you stop liking it. The important parts of crossovers will be collected together, no need to worry about tie-ins.

Want to read about Superman? Skip all of the trades until the volume where Geoff Johns comes on as writer, no need to start with vol. 1.

Want to read Suicide Squad? Skip all of the New 52 stuff entirely and just go get the John Ostrander trades.

Have other characters you want to read about? Ask here or Google to get recommendations. There's no reason whatsoever to limit yourself to the New 52.
>>
File: 198.jpg (9 KB, 154x166) Image search: [Google]
198.jpg
9 KB, 154x166
>>80690163
>Want to read about Superman? Skip all of the trades until the volume where Geoff Johns comes on as writer, no need to start with vol. 1.

>not reading Grant Morrison's Action Comics run
>>
>>80690241
I thought of mentioning that but I was talking solely about the main Superman title to make it simpler.

Also the second half of Action is kind of inaccessible to an inexperienced reader. But the first half I think is absolutely essential reading for Superman on the tier of Batman Year One.
>>
Don't read Superman, except maybe Action 0-18 and Unleashed
The author of the first arc of Superman left because of constant editorial interference, that's how you know it's total shit
>>
I'm lost with Batman, want to read Gordon as Batman, but there's regular Batman, Batman Detective Comics etc... it's always a mess. Are there sites other than Wikipedia to inform myself on this?
>>
>>80691193
The main Batman book is the main story starting with I think #41, Detective Comics and everything else are unrelated side-stories.
>>
>>80691340
So, no good?
>>
>>80691193
>want to read Gordon as Batman

>Batman by Snyder
>Vol 8: Superheavy, issues #41-45
>Vol 9: [TBD] issues #46-?? (Jimbats is Batman through at least #49, #50 comes out later this month)

>Detective Comics
>Vol 8 Blood of Heroes Issues #41-47
>Vol 9 [TBD] #48-?? (#50 just came out and Jim is still Batman)

>Detective Comics by
>>
>>80691193
Like most big writers, Snyder's stuff is self contained and everything else riffs of it
I haven't read Detective but I've read people on here who say it's better
>>
How are the various Edge and Dark title? Those are the ones I haven't really read I'm curious about.
>>
>>80692415
Grifter was going alright up until Liefeld took over.
>>
File: JLD.jpg (83 KB, 620x437) Image search: [Google]
JLD.jpg
83 KB, 620x437
>>80692415
JLD's a cool concept but the execution was shit. I'd still tell you to read it though. This way you'll get to learn about DC's supernatural side before the movie drops.

Read Demon Knights. Half of the characters are OC's but the book is brilliant nonetheless. It has a definite ending so you'll get a good sense of closure after you're done
>>
>>80692415
Animal man and swamp thing are the best, they crossover as well,

I liked Phantom Stranger until it got stuck in that forever evil story, then I dropped it and it was canceled shorty after

I thought JL Dark was really average to bad, my suggestion would be not to even try, it's gone now anyway

People say Gotham by Midnight is amazing, I haven't read it yet but I plan to, same with Demon Knights
>>
>>80693211

Gotham by Midnight is a really great series, if you like Spectre and spooky shit, go for it.

Demon Knights is fantastic at the start and loses steam steadily as it goes on.
>>
>>80693193
I only read the first few issues of JLD, but I thought it was pretty alright, what was so shit about it?
>>
>>80689609
Don't read every single thing, read just the first issues of the New 52 launches first, then report back whether or not you want to follow any of them then we'll tell you where to go from there.
>>
>>80693697
At the latter stages they tried to bring in abstract concepts and this messed up the story into a confusing wreck.
The writer talked about the House of mystery existing in nowhere and then everywhere and after that Nightmare Nurse's story showed that she was in fact a ragheaded mecha-dog-spirit or some shit like that. The weirdness of it all just made things all the more boring instead of interesting.

I mean hears the thing; abstract stuff sounds cool in books cause these are things that are left to the reader's imagination. You can't talk about such stuff in a visual medium like comic books. Also, the nightmare Nurse arc was just plain shit
>>
>>80690163
hey anon, New Suicide Squad is pretty good around the time DCYou happens.

>>80690488
Action Comics is solid all the way but it's plagued with Crossovers once Pak gets on it. The Crossovers aren't that bad but there's a clear dip in quality in the books not written by Pak.
>>
>>80693697
I liked it until around the Forever Evil Event.
>>
>>80693989
THIS MAN GETS IT. read what you think youll enjoy and go from there. who cares about if its pre or new or post or this/that. read what you enjoy buddy
>>
So, they're gonna make new 52 a main, right? If that's the case then maybe I should stay away from DC for a long while.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.