[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people defend this psychopathic narcissistic piece of shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: 3632431-6094074913-Ozyma.jpg (30 KB, 250x331) Image search: [Google]
3632431-6094074913-Ozyma.jpg
30 KB, 250x331
Why do people defend this psychopathic narcissistic piece of shit?
>>
>>80679114
They don't, it's usually an overreaction against people liking Rorschach.

Plus they don't understand his namesake or the poem based on it, so a lot of the dramatic scenes in the story don't really ring true for them.
>>
>>80679114
He's a pragmatic humanist. Also, he's gay, so shut your homophobic facehole.
>>
Something something fedora something something SJW
>>
He's stopped the third world war. In the worst way possible, but in the end it worked.
>>
>>80679326
Yeah, temporarily his plan was shit long term it was entirely based on a nonexistent threat that will never come, Manhattan himself said nothing ever ends eventually the situation will go back to where it was before and everbodies still fucked Plus murderong New York was probably the shorties way to deal with the threat of nuclear war which could have easily been stopped by Manhattan
>>
Because he was right.

Do you let billions die from all out nuclear war and radiation fallout? Or do you let millions die to save the rest of the world and bring about peace between countries?

It's the whole Trolley problem
>>
>>80679426
I think Manhattan was talking more in terms of in generations time, his scope of vision is much farther than your average man

Ozymandias was going to build on the truce made by the attack on New York to create a new age of peace, unfortunately all things are impermanent and mankind will eventually go back to destroying itself in one way or another, maybe not withing Ozymandias' lifetime but eventually, so you have to ask, what was the point of all his work?

Ozymandias represents the need to be remembered for what you have done, Manhattan represents the understanding that nothing you do in the vastness of the universe will last forever
>>
>>80679456
>Because he was right
Not really, no. People conveniently forget the conversation between Ozzy and Dr. Manhattan, as well as the thematic similarities between his behavior and the themes of Shelley's "Ozymandias."

He didn't do the right thing. The whole point of The Watchmen was that there exists no such thing as the "right thing."
>>
>>80679114

Because Watchmen is a pretty cool guy. Eh teleports aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.
>>
>>80679577

>Ozymandias represents the need to be remembered for what you have done, Manhattan represents the understanding that nothing you do in the vastness of the universe will last forever

This basically sums it up. There's a reason why Ozymandias was named after the poem.

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/ozymandias
>>
>>80679426
Ozi killed millions of people to avoid a nuclear conflict. Even if humanity self destruct in at a later date, humanity get to live for one or two generation more. it is totally worth it.

Even if it didn't work and humanity self destruct one year later, AT LEAST he tried to do something about it that had a decent chance of working.

If Ozy plan failed, a million people would have died like 1- 2 years sonner than the rest of the world. The potential gain here dwarf the potential gain.

The criminal thing would have been to do nothing. Corrupted government in Watchmen were the real villians. They created a world where the smartest man alive HAD to fake an alien invasion because they were DUMB to a point where they would make themselve than talking.
>>
>>80680058
Ozy killed millions of people to distract the two sides for one brief period of time, interrupting the natural collapse and deflating process that inevitably occurs in an arms race. Because of this tensions will not gracefully reach an unsustainable head but will dramatically be re-ignited at some point in the near future when the "mutual threat" that never manifested itself passes from immediate public memory and the unresolved conflict between people who happen to remember there are a bunch of bombs in their closet will become far more volatile.
>>
>>80679114
Because he was right
>>
>>80679114
So he killed New Yorkers, nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>80679326
>>80679456

Pay attention to the Black Freighter and Ozy's actions during the book. It spells out his failure.

He publicly chases away Jon, emboldening the USSR. If Jon would have quietly withdrawn instead (which Ozy was afraid of him doing), the situation could have had a resolution similar to real-world events.

He killed half of New York for nothing. He caused WWIII, stopped it, and then caused the participants to build up arms against a threat that will never occur.

So, he delayed the war and made it so the war will be worse when it actually happens. "It worked?" The world's smartest man was a short-sighted idiot.
>>
>>80680194
Yeah but the problem isn't the same as the arms race of the 80's.The US was appearing more of a threat in the eyes of the Russians due to them having a god on their side who easily won them the Vietnam War. Doesn't help that Nixon was becoming more of a tyrant seeing how he was able to change the law and had a third term. There was no chance of there being a peace seeing how much of an advantage the US had. You also have to keep in mind that this comic came during the height of the arms race, the fear of all out nuclear war was very real and no one could see into the future that the Soviet Union was gonna collapse in the early 90's.
>>
Well considering that nuclear war never happens regardless of his actions, he's not right at all and is a paranoid idiot who put all his superhuman brain power into a fear that is never justified.
>>
>>80679114
Well, his plan worked, but it won't last for long, war would eventually come back again, and I think people will be ready for a giant squid that time.
>>
>>80681086
But the uniting of Earth against a common foe would bring about a long peacetime. People tend to forget about differences when there's a common enemy. If it last long enough cultural barriers could disappear.
>>
File: watchmen-ozymandias-02.png (134 KB, 216x342) Image search: [Google]
watchmen-ozymandias-02.png
134 KB, 216x342
In the movie he objectively saved humanity. Less so in the comic.
>>
>>80681357
How? He killed even more people around the entire planet to make them think Manhattan did it even though there's next to no evidence Manhattan showed any distaste with humanity. If anything Manhattan was constantly working to improve it. Once everyone realize he isn't gonna attack they'll just say the US plotted this and sacrificed their own people to make it look like they're victims.
>>
>>80681455
The movie missed this point completely. Too bad it was the most important point of the movie.
>>
>>80679114
He had the right idea. The next step would be killing all of humanity.
>>
>>80681455
In the movie Nixon explicitly stated that he would launch a preemptive strike if there wasn't a miracle.
>>
>>80679114
They really don't. They just like to troll people like you who take it too seriously
>>
>>80679200
For the same reason most people who have V masks have no idea Guy Fawkes was a failed Catholic terrorist
>>
i blame edgelords
>>
>>80679114

Because being a psychopathic narcissistic piece of shit is really trendy right now
>>
Because they only watched the movie which cut out the subplot proving he was wrong because Snyder is a fucking hack.
>>
>>80680025
I thought he was just a Rameses fanboy.
>>
>>80679114
The "le 35 minutes le-go" meme.
>>
>>80681339
But there is no common enemy. If anything the peace and cooperation would last at most a generation before going right back to how things were, only difference being now they're better armed.
>>
>>80679200
I'm pretty sure everyone knows the poem. Mainly because they quoted it in Breaking Bad.
>>
>>80681455
Manhattan says on tv that there is no difference between a living body and a dead one. I'm sure they can do something with how much he cares about humanity, or so the public thinks anyway.
>>
>>80679326
>but in the end it worked.
>>but in the end
Goddammit Adrian.
>>
Was Ozy a fag?
>>
>hating on based Ozymandias
Nigga saved the future of humanity and prevented WW3. Is there any villain righter than fucking Ozy?
>>
>>80679114

He's stylish as fuck.
>>
>>80687785

There's nothing to indicate that other than Rorschach's journal entry, and I think that was more to show how unhinged and reactionary Rorschach was than having anything to do with Ozy.

Like, you're taking notes on this guy you think's been murdering people, and one of you bullet-points is "possibly homosexual." I thought it was a perfect Rorschach moment.
>>
>>80688232
Uhh, the twin clones he made that he clearly used for sex?

He's definitely a little queer.
>>
>>80688252

I have no recollection of that but it doesn't surprise me.
>>
File: it's all a joke.png (678 KB, 1980x1080) Image search: [Google]
it's all a joke.png
678 KB, 1980x1080
>Ozymandias was a psychopath
>Manhattan had no compassion for human life
>Rorshach was a bigoted right-wing serial killer
>Night Owl was a spineless pussy
>Silk Spectre wasn't good for anything except being a mediator between Manhattan and the world, but she fucked that all up
>Comedian was a homicidal nihilist

Who was right? Who was the good guy?
>>
>>80688323
They were his butlers that he killed off after setting his plan into motion.

Honestly I wish we got to see more of Ozy. He's probably my favorite character in the whole of Watchmen.

>>80688356
>>Ozymandias was a psychopath
I never got that vibe from Ozy. He's a terrible person who does terrible things but he does them wholly because he feels like they will make the world a better place. Except for killing the Comedian, because fuck him. Guy was a prick anyway.

He is evil but not sociopathic.
>>
>>80688462
>He's a terrible person who does terrible things but he does them wholly because he feels like they will make the world a better place.

Well ISIS suicide bombers probably feel the same way. Only, the sad difference is they would never kill as many people as Ozymandias
>>
>>80688503
That's a good point.

Ozy's probably way more rational and intelligent than those are though. He doesn't do any of it out of any hatred for any group of people, but to prevent WW3. Unlike suicide bombers, he's not really making war, but ultimately to prevent the ultimate war.
>>
>>80688356
There were no good guys. There were no bad guys. That's literally the point of the comic. Everyone's point of view has defensible elements, but there's no definitive "right".

It mirrors the complex real-world issues it discusses; there are too many variables to have a definitive "right way" to handle a nuclear crisis.
>>
>>80679114
Self-insertion
>>
>>80688932

Anon, you're not supposed to insert it into yourself
>>
>>80688961
We live inside of everyone.
>>
>>80679326
Every thread there's always one, no ozy failed, manhattan suggests it, the closing panels confirm it.
>>
>>80689067
>the closing panels confirm it.
The fuck they do. No one is going to listen to some bullshit, crazy, little-known right-wing publication like that.

At most it will cause some public dissent but not enough to influence governments or the public at large.

I do agree that peace will only last for a generation, but after that, hostile attitudes will have died down anyway. Ozy saved the world.
>>
>>80681086
Could someone explain to me how the Black Freighter story spelled out Oxy's failure? I'll admit the Black Freighter story confused me a bit.
>>
>>80689229
The blood spattered smiley face is the icon that started the cycle the closing and the opening are one and the same, that and it's inherrant link to the image of the doomsday clock within the narrative.

Also, Trump is winning elections, and 1/4 of Americans believe that 9/11 was an inside job.

So with all that information what do you believe is the authors intent? Also what would you believe? Genetic experiment or alien invasion?
>>
>>80689067

As I saw it, the implication was that even if Ozy succeeded, it wouldn't matter in the long run.

Nothing lasts forever, especially human made empires.
>>
>>80689411
>Also, Trump is winning elections, and 1/4 of Americans believe that 9/11 was an inside job.
The Americans voting for Trump and the ones who believe that 9/11 were an inside job are two different groups of people. Also I doubt the number of people who think 9/11 was a government conspiracy are that high. There is no way that many people think that.

>So with all that information what do you believe is the authors intent?
I think the intent was to make the ending as open as possible. It's open for debate. That's why people are still debating over it thirty years after it came out.

>Also what would you believe? Genetic experiment or alien invasion?
Probably the former but there's no way of knowing without it ever happening.
>>
File: 1453049652154.png (7 KB, 541x408) Image search: [Google]
1453049652154.png
7 KB, 541x408
>>80679114
>>
BUT WHY DIDN'T DOCTOR PROFESSOR NUCLEAR MAN JUST KILL HIM?????
>>
>>80684937
That was a great moment though
>>
>>80689774
>>80689815

XD
>>
>>80679114
Because he is the leader our world needs but muh feelings and muh emotions would not let it be
>>
>>80679114

Honestly, Veidt would have done more good reconstructing the world than before.

He certainty is a Narcissist, but his "utopia" seems to be a promising future.

But like Manhatten said "Nothing ever ends". No matter how effective Veidt's plan was, it wouldn't matter in the scale of the universe and time.
>>
>>80689366

The protagonist in the Black Freighter story tried his damnedest to get back to his village to prevent the freighter's crew from ransacking it. Long story short, the freighter wasn't there and he killed some people and attacked his fiance for nothing. When he left, he found the freighter there, but only for him.

That spells out that Adrian was wrong pursuing the nuclear apocalypse (freighter) to stop it and that the only reason it is looming is because of him. That was the entire point of the Black Freighter story -- to show that Adrian was wrong.
>>
>>80691715
Thanks for the reminder and clarification.
>>
>>80691715

Well put. Never saw the BF subplot like that.
>>
The only one to blame is Dr. Manhattan for being a apathetic cunt.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.