[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>In superhero stories, Batman is Pluto, god of the underworld,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: How Can I Ruin More Things.jpg (903 KB, 1000x1380) Image search: [Google]
How Can I Ruin More Things.jpg
903 KB, 1000x1380
>In superhero stories, Batman is Pluto, god of the underworld, and Superman is Apollo, god of the sky. That began to be really interesting to me — that their conflict is not just due to manipulation, but their very existence.
>Apollo, god of sky
>not sun
>implying Superman wouldn't be the Zeus allegory like on Waid's JLA
>implying Pluto and Apollo have ever had conflicts
>in just his previous movie he blatantly made Superman into alien Jesus but now he's Apollo,
This is the man that /co/ endlessly claims "gets it" and doesn't even know basic myths.
>>
>Zack wants to be profound, but common sense won't let him
>>
>>80665074
OP. don't be so snide. If you know what I mean.
>>
>>80665074
>implying Pluto and Apollo have ever had conflicts
He didn't say this
>Apollo, god of sky
Yes that's exactly correct
>not sun
Apollo goes hand in hand with the sun, and he was a compassionate person. Did you really want Helios for Superman
>in just his previous movie he blatantly made Superman into alien Jesus but now he's Apollo,
He and some other Kryptonians beat the shit out of each other for a solid few days non stop, that is not Jesus
The surface level allegory of MoS is that of a flawed Jesus figure, and if you can't even pin that down you should think twice before debating mythology
>>
>>80665254
>OP. don't be so snide, durr

You blew it.
>>
>>80665074
Zeus is Captain Marvel, who literally has the power of Zeus
>>
>>80665074
Snyder always tries his best but he seems to fail in stuff outside his normal field. For example this comparison of superheroes to greek mythology. He should check supergods of Morrison and the other myths Grant brings to the table besides those from greeks
>>
>>80666949
No zeus is zeus who literally has the power of King tut.
>>
>Batman is Pluto
>Pluto in most myths is cold and prides himself on noninterference and square deals
>Batman is a giant fucking baby
Similarities end at they both like dark underground places.
>>
>>80665358
>Yes that's exactly correct
It's entirely wrong
>>
>>80665074
>not Superman as Zeus, Batman as Pluto, Womder Woman as Hestia, Flash as Hermes, GL as Vulcan, Aquaman as Posiden, and shoehorned in Green Arrow as...Artemis?...Eros?...Aaaares?
>>
>>80667224
FUCK I MEAN HEPHAESTUS
>>
>>80665074
>"if you read the comics then you will know it's that character"
>"I tried deconstructing the character."

Both were used to describe MoS by him.
He's a hack. And if Batman v Superman is good or not, it will depend in other factors.
>>
>>80665074
At least he's trying to unify it with some kind of story, instead of just checking things off the list to sell merch and callback to comics.
>>
>>80665358
>Apollo, god of sky
>Yes that's exactly correct
Try the sun if there's no Helios and otherwise light, music, poetry, and prophecy
>>
>>80667224
Green Arrow is Apollo. Apollo was an Archer too.
>>
>>80667224
Green Arrow is Apollo, the archer
>>
>>80667248
Cyborg is Hephaestus, no?
>>
>>80665074
They don't call him "Hack Snyder" for nothing.
>>
>>80665233
Fucking kek
>>
>>80667330
>>80667332
That's pretty ironic.
>>
>>80667224
>Womder Woman as Hestia
Are you retarded that you place Green Arrow as Artemis and don't call Athena or Artemis here. Also why are you mixing Greek and Roman names.

And why wouldn't Shazam be Zeus. And Apollo is literally the god of archery.

You are exactly as knowledgeable about Greek and Roman mythology as Zack Snyder.
>>
The better equivalent would be:

>Superman = Apollo, god of sun, the arts, oracles, plagues, medicines, and knowledge
>Batman = Artemis, goddess of the moon, the hunt, wild animals, and the raising of youths

Zeus and Hades/Pluto, while important, aren't nearly as revered or important to the Western canon as Apollo and Artemis.

For example, the skyscraper that houses the Daily Planet can be considered a tribute to Apollo: skyscrapers, in general, were thought to be ways to praise the "sun god" (always a male), whether it was Apollo or something more basic. Totems, et al are similar.

Conversely, you have Batman's cave: a damp, yet warm environment which -- in multiple instances -- is the effective birth of Batman. And even then, the cave is the training ground for all Robins.

Obviously, I shouldn't have to spell out how genitalia are involved in the above examples...

You also have the stories and the cities themselves. All-Star Superman makes the Superman = Apollo comparison pretty obvious: literally by going into the sun, he adopts aspects of Apollo's godliness.

For Batman, Gotham can very easily be considered a truly modern hunting ground, and Batman is the greatest modern hunter. He hunts criminals -- but he specializes in taking down the wildest "animals", always locked up in Arkham.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.