[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Black Panther
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Black-Panther-v1-04+05.jpg (2 MB, 1910x1398) Image search: [Google]
Black-Panther-v1-04+05.jpg
2 MB, 1910x1398
Why does it seem like Marvel and the vast majority of the writers that get attached to Black Panther neglect Wakanda as a setting, viewing it as inaccessible or as some kind of obstacle in trying to tell a Black Panther story rather than understanding that Wakanda is the very heart of the Black Panther mythos and one of the coolest settings in the whole of the Marvel universe? Wakanda is a truly unique pulp fantasy sword and sorcery style setting like Mars in the John Carter stories or the Hyborian Age of the Conan the Barbarian stories, a world in and of itself.

Let's just have a Black Panther thread in general though, just for fun. This show wasn't very good, but it's theme song ended up growing on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZU7Y1Hdww0
>>
>>80629444
Because they want him to go around playing superhero with the other established MU characters

Look at Liss Most Dangerous Man arc. It makes no sense whatsoever from either DD's perspective or T'challa's but it had him playing in good ol' NYC and dealing with guys like Luke Cage and Kraven.

>Theme song ended up growing on me

top kek. Song was GOAT right out of the gates
>>
>>80629674
It's strange to me that Marvel and all of these writers so often fail to see just how different it's characters and settings are from one another. Black Panther doesn't need to be a crime fighter
>>
What is Wakanda like anyway? The only thing I've ever seen is a page involving Black panther standing around with a laser sword while a bunch of black people fight him with wooden spears and it seems pretty ridiculous.
>>
>>80629811
Different types of genres with different characters don't necessarily sell well I'm guessing

He doesn't have to be a crime fighter at all but he can still be an adventurer. You just have to align the goal to somehow benefit Wakanda

For instance after Doomwar and Vibranium became inert, T'Challa should've been traveling the world trying to find a way to gain new vibranium or find a substitute.

That Klaws of the Panther mini which was kinda meh used that exact same set up I think with Shuri who is the current Black Panther Monarch

it didn't make sense for him to try and live in Hell's Kitchen and take Daredevil's spot as protector. Maybe for Echo or Elektra or someone else personally close to Matt but not T'challa.
>>
>>80629964
Read a comic and you'll know
>>
File: bp2.jpg (121 KB, 620x616) Image search: [Google]
bp2.jpg
121 KB, 620x616
>>80629964
It's a Kirby style archeofuturist civilization hidden within Africa. It's meant to be a secret mythical kingdom like Narnia known only to a few. The Black Panther tribe is able to design highly complex devices through their study of Vibranium, but they treat Vibranium as a sacred matter and everything they create with it is within the vision of the Tradition. They do not mass produce objects or make frivolous constructs.

Part of the thematic aspect of Black Panthers stories is the way in which a civilization views it's resources and utilizes them, with Wakanda treating it in a spiritual, ritualistic manner and forces led by Ulysses Klaw embodying the whole strip mining blood diamond style relationship with resources that drove 17th and 18th century colonialism efforts by idol aristocratic men of wealth and power who went to the third world to build egotistical countries named after themselves in it's lands
>>
>>80629444
It's Marvel, 85% of it is New York and the outlying area. 5% is Savage Land 3% Genosha 2% blue area of the moon like another 2% is Wakanda and Atlantis with the larger portion going to whoever needs at the time and the rest is space and miscellaneous plot created land masses that appear and disappear as needed..
>>
File: 3271533098_822ea7eb44_b.jpg (810 KB, 1024x724) Image search: [Google]
3271533098_822ea7eb44_b.jpg
810 KB, 1024x724
>>80630045
His stories were the best when they revolved around his personal struggles against his rivals in Wakanda and their machinations. Wakanda itself is a fairly varied landscape that isn't in a constant state of tranquility. There are parts of it that are deadly to everyone who comes into it, and occupied by malicious villains. There is a lot to explore just within Wakanda's borders
>>
File: 750665-jungle_action__010___21.jpg (133 KB, 936x1384) Image search: [Google]
750665-jungle_action__010___21.jpg
133 KB, 936x1384
>>80630340
I deeply hope the Black Panther movie uses some of his classic villains like Baron Macbre and Erik Killmonger. Killmonger was the villain designed to be his true archnemesis
>>
>>80629444
The Marvel Universe as Lee set it up is built around crossovers. It's very hard to have a character stuck somewhere he can't interact with the rest of the MU, because so much of the Marvel formula is based on having a team-up/crossover/hero vs. hero fight every few issues.

Kirby didn't care as much about this kind of thing which explains why the characters he created often live in their own worlds apart from the MU: Wakanda, Attilan, Asgard. But Lee's approach is what won out and Wakanda is not a great fit in a universe that practically demands everybody be in New York.
>>
>>80631381
The style DC employed in giving each hero their own tailor made city is so much better.
>>
>>80629444
>Why does it seem like Marvel and the vast majority of the writers that get attached to Black Panther neglect Wakanda as a setting, viewing it as inaccessible or as some kind of obstacle in trying to tell a Black Panther story

Pure speculation on my part here, but I personally think any comic that revolves around an "exotic civilization" is a bit of a tough sell in superhero comics. Namor comics were consistent but not particularly strong sellers until John Byrne had the idea to take him out of Atlantis and make him an ecologically-minded billionaire CEO in New York back in 1990 (although that really didn't last).

A Black Panther comic set in Wakanda would probably find more traction if it were distanced from the superhero genre, and instead marketed to folks who read stuff like Conan or The Shadow or The Phantom as a retrofuturistic pulp-styled costumed adventurer comic. I'd at least give something like that a chance.
>>
>>80632034
This is the reason I have little faith in Marvel pulling off a proper Iron Fist story
>>
>>80629674
>Because they want him to go around playing superhero with the other established MU characters

This

Don McGregor was writing BP in the 70's with a run set in Africa and editorial told him to move the character to America. It has little to do with the writers, editors want all the toys in and around New York
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.