[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /co/ think of Batman Beyond? Everyone praises BMTAS,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: image.png (354 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.png
354 KB, 500x500
What does /co/ think of Batman Beyond? Everyone praises BMTAS, but I never hear anything about this show.
>>
>>80531479
>I never hear anything about this show.
This is your first month on /co/ right?
>>
>>80531479
Batman Beyond is a fantastic progression of BTAS without feeling like a retread. They do revisit Bruce's old villains on occassion, while providing entirely unique threats specfic to Terry. Shit is cash
>>
>>80531479
>I never hear anything about this show.
What?
Check the archive, we talk about beyond weekly.
>>
>>80531532
this
>>
It's a great show. That sharp-edged art style of Bruce Timm worked way better for BB than it did for season 4 of TAS. Consistantly solid stories too. I can't immediately recollect any episodes that were "bad." At worst, they were forgettable.
>>
It's really good, somewhat lame villains aside. It has far more interesting episodic villains like Earthmover, Ian Peek, and Armory than it does regularly occurring Rogues like Shriek and Spellbinder, Inque being the glaring exception because she's awesome. Blight is a weird case where he gradually, and probably intentionally, became lamer and less threatening as his powers grew.

The best parts of the show are definitely Terry vs. Gotham, where he fights against government corruption, abusive psychologists (the episode where he tries to rescue the kids from the counseling camp they've been sent to was phenomenal), old friends from a bad time in his life, and run of them ill punks like the Jokerz.
>>
>>80531638
>Consistantly solid stories too. I can't immediately recollect any episodes that were "bad."

I'm not a fan of Kobra where they all become lizard-people in the end.
>>
I love the movie fight with Joker since Terry is basically Spiderbatman.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 542x346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 542x346
Everybody loves it.
>>
File: 1454509042172.jpg (22 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
1454509042172.jpg
22 KB, 500x431
>>80531559
>beyond
Ayyy

>>80531479
It's pretty much universally liked. I didn't see many threads about it until a few months ago it started to pick up in popularity.
>>
it should have continued, but since it didn't sell toys and limited cross branding, just project Zeta. Sucks who how send off Terry in the Future's End.

but oh well
>>
>>80532223
It ain't even Terry in that. It's an adult Tim Drake in a post-apocalyptic Gotham.
>>
>>80531479
Even if it was just mediocre (which it wasn't) it would be worth it just for Return of the Joker.
>>
I loved the way they handled returning characters from B:TAS/JLU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoczMQEcab8

Bane, Static, Commissioner Barbara Gordon, Drake---------they all felt like believable versions of their characters with 40-50 years of aging and experience under their belts.

I also love Beyond's introduction of tragedies between the 40-50 year time gap, like the Near Apocalypse of '09, the events of Return of the Joker, and whatever happened that massacred most of the Justice League from the main series.
>>
>>80531479
It's good. They did the future well, but I didn't think Terry was a very interesting main character. Some episodes were great and others were boring. Justice League and JLU were much better in my opinion.
>>
>>80535489
>I also love Beyond's introduction of tragedies between the 40-50 year time gap, like the Near Apocalypse of '09, the events of Return of the Joker, and whatever happened that massacred most of the Justice League from the main series

Do you happen to know of any specifics? I love it when a show goes all out with lore.
>>
>>80536378
I don't think the show ever really focused on what happened during the time gap, but there were references.
"The Near Apocalypse of 09"
:54-1:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5lpyxrsemE

How the JLU went a sprawling international organization to the 5-man team it is in Beyond:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PETk8eBbfN0
(00:0-1:20), Watchtower destruction, etc.
Beyond:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmfwI09w4bQ
(2:47-6:15)

And all the stuff with Barbara/Bruce/Dick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_pvO7kx-eI
Tim Drake's Bad End in ROTJ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLIHzolww1k
Scarring him and driving him away from anything to do with Batman, or heroics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etst4t3ES8Y

There's probably more, like Superman being a mindslave/brainwashed for a lengthy period of time, but I can't remember any specifics at the moment.
>>
Hey, /co/...

April moon
>>
>>80531638
Am I the only one who preferred Season 4's art style? Aside from a few of the redesigns (most notably Catwoman, what the fuck were they thinking), I think most of the characters looked better. Bruce looked a thousand times better out of the suit, and he looked just as good in the suit. Scarecrow looked way better, all of the female characters looked significantly better, and Joker would have looked better if he still had red lips.

Honestly, everyone always talks about how season 4 wasn't as good as the rest of the show, but it introduced the Batfamily beyond Robin and actually gave Batman people to interact with other than villains.
>>
File: 1456190459633.png (417 KB, 425x500) Image search: [Google]
1456190459633.png
417 KB, 425x500
>>80531479
it's an Ok but it has NOTHING on the best show ever. pic related
>>
How long was the gap in between TAS and Beyond? I just started watching it and Barbara looks old as shit, which is confusing me because she's supposed to be like at least 20 years younger than Bruce. Is Bruce younger in TAS than in the comics or something?
>>
>>80531479
"What if batman was actually spiderman and it was also blade runner" is the single greatest superhero pitch of all time
>>
>>80531479
>Everyone praises BMTAS, but I never hear anything about this show

Why do people feel the need to lie like this just to make a topic? Everyone knows BB is one of the most revered comic book cartoons of all time
>>
I wish Blight became more than what he was. He could have been a great arch villain for Terry, but he just vanished after Season 1.
>>
>>80538163
About the Justice League, IIRC the timeline where they died was altered by Chronos, and was subsequently fixed when they defeated him.
>>
It's fan fucking tastic and honestly if you compare whole to whole it's superior to BMTAS because unlike BMTAS even its weak episodes were good episodes.
>>
>>80539948
I don't know exactly, but it's around 40 or 50 years.
>>
File: mfw.png (159 KB, 460x327) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
159 KB, 460x327
>>80531479
>mfw I find out Bruce gave Barbra that dick
>>
>>80539948
20 years after Bruce's retirement, which was 20 years after the Joker was killed
>>
>>80531479
It's a mediocre fanfiction that tries too hard to be "OMG DARK AND EDGY". It was only made because WB wanted something to appeal to angsty 12 year olds. Really, the DCAU had been shit since the move to WB until JLU, arguably. People only like BB because they suck off Bruce Timm so much
>>
I love the show, but I've always disliked the concept of the series. It was weird flipping between episodes of BTAS, Beyond and Justice League/JLU and knowing that Bruce won't succeed in eliminating all crime from Gotham and all of his work as Batman was in vain. Hell if anything Gotham is even worse by Terry's day.
>>
>>80543552
It's why you don't write "future" stories unless you're actually willing to end it, or keep building from the future. The writers creatively cut their own foot off when constrained themselves when they had to write JLU because they couldn't contracdict their own future that they set up
>>
>>80543552
Hell no.

That Gotham is still standing is testament to the good Bruce has done, but at the end of the day he's human. He's going to grow old. He can't literally end all crime, but he still saved millions of lives. If the entire of BTAS was that one episode where Joker tried to poison the entire city, literally just that one time, then it would have all been worth it.

Plus, the Gotham PD is cartoonishly good and loyal, and even eventually start openly working with Batman after he stops fucking up so much.
>>
>>80531479
It was pretty schway, you haven't been here for a long time
>>
Why is that a bad thing?
Bruce did make a difference in Gotham for a good chunk of the time he was protecting it, but he's only one man.
His obsession with protecting it eventually got his closest allies in harm's way, and it alienated others.
That, to me, is a lot more powerful than a "good end". Gotham is tainted and corrupted no matter what, and as a reactive Superhero Batman can only do so much.
>>
>>80545638
meant for >>80543552
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.