[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just started watching PPG. Why was Him allowed to be on a kid's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: PPG07.jpg (42 KB, 630x473) Image search: [Google]
PPG07.jpg
42 KB, 630x473
Just started watching PPG.
Why was Him allowed to be on a kid's show?
>>
>>80509391
Because he didn't outright say he wasn't straight. He was also in a pretty violent show, so I think that prolly had something to help with the sensors.
>>
>>80509391
i don't know man , as a kid i knew he was gay.
Also the teacher in hey arnold , some other gay characters in anime of those times.

But still no one teached me to hate them till a few years later.

I find that character creepy in certain episodes , like the one he controls bubbles's octopus toy
>>
>>80509656

Yeh Mr Symons or whatever his name was in Hey Arnold.

That was a well done gay character.
>>
>>80509391

Because people like you didn't existed back then.
>>
>>80509459
>>80509656
>>80509778
I'm not talking about the fact that he's gay or whatever, he's fucking terrifying.
>>
>>80509831
>he's fucking terrifying.
Fucking this.

I was seriously creeped out by this character. He was more sinister than anything else from that time I can remember except some freaky one-off villains of the week from extreme ghostbusters.

That god damn echoey voice that turns into a menacing low roar when he gets pissed off/reveals his true nature.
>>
>>80509831
Oh yeah. The fact that he's gay is a lot more likely to overshadow the fact that he's horrifying to sensors. Maybe he was originally much worse and this was the compromise? Like, just a horrible abomination that constantly seems to be anally fucked as he screams in that screeching double voice.
>>
Is this creature going to be in the reboot?

I don't think they can top the original terror.
>>
>>80509879
I almost couldn't make it through his first episode.

>>80509919
>Maybe he was originally much worse and this was the compromise?
If you look at the show, he obviously has a lot of power, he just never uses it to his full extent.
Like Bill Cipher.
>>
>>80510112
>If you look at the show, he obviously has a lot of power, he just never uses it to his full extent.
The commie Rose Gnome still dispatched him pretty easily.

Just how powerful was that thing?
>>
>>80510159
He had the power of PLOT in a half hour special.
>>
File: PPG6.gif (449 KB, 185x142) Image search: [Google]
PPG6.gif
449 KB, 185x142
>that epoisode where the girls end up in a post apocolypse future, and Him is a giant demon thing that fucked over the world
>>
>>80510185
That was still pretty powerful.
>>
>>80510185
Actually, in retrospect the girl's sacrifice to the gnome, and the general liberty of all of townsville was a fair trade for the destruction of him by the gnome's magic.
>>
>>80510112
No I mean design and character wise. Power doesn't matter at all to sensors.
>>
I found his voice even more threatening when he used that sleazy, sweet tone of playful sarcasm.

>Seconds, minutes, hours, days and nights, crawled by on hands and knees as you raced the speed of light~
>>
>>80509391
because the city of townsville is actually hell
>>
Fucking Speed Demon
>>
>>80511124
>>80510194

That was some proper nightmare fuel.
>>
>>80511124
HIM gave me a weird boner in that one
>>
>>80509805
This
>>
File: SpeedDemon1.gif (66 KB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
SpeedDemon1.gif
66 KB, 400x299
dis fucking episode
>>
>>80513010

>That episode of the Powerpuff Girls where the incarnation of Satan himself successfully brought on the apocalypse in the girls' absence.
>>
>>80509391
If he was just the devil he wouldn't have been. If he was just Dr. Frankenfurter he wouldn't have been.

But if you go far enough then anyone in a position to bring the hammer down is too flabbergasted to do so.
>>
>>80509982
Yeah i dont know if Tom Kane is gonna come back, but if he not Him is not gonna be the same his voice is terrifying his best roles are villians and monsters
>>
Wait is it confirmet that he's gay? As a kid I just imagined that he was meant to be what kids today call non-binary since he was a demon and being of ambiguous sexuality was done to represent sin
>>
>>80513438
>If he was just the devil he wouldn't have been.
I know Cow and Chicken's disgusting enough that one could imagine no one watched it but we all saw the Devil in that show.
>>
>>80513010
>The beauty lies in the blame. Because it’s your fault for leaving!
dude this, when i was a kid Him win for my perspective, no matter how much the girls save the day Him always looks invincible he's truly the representation of evil that you can't beat
>>
I never saw Him as gay, more like androgynous. I mean he's based on the devil, who is an angel, who doesnt have a gender. Maybe im looking too much into this but I never really saw him as a human or anything with a gender. Though he did have a more male body.
>>
>>80513847
He's the Devil; I honestly think he would care about who he's fucking as long as he's fucking someone.
>>
>>80509831
>he's fucking terrifying.

He's a skinny red man in high heels with a goatee. If you are sincerely unnerved by him then I suggest you go trade in your balls for a plane ticket to Sweden.
>>
>>80509391
>Why was Him
Why was "he"
Please learn proper grammar before posting on 4chan.
>>
>>80515107
nice joke
>>
You guys know hes a blue meanie, right?

Or red meanie.
>>
It looks like his name when he was designed was "Satan Claws"
>>
>>80509391

What, you've never seen camp gay on a kids' show before?
>>
>>80509982
he is

he was in the teaser for the show and in the intro that came out
>>
File: owmWC.jpg (124 KB, 480x1401) Image search: [Google]
owmWC.jpg
124 KB, 480x1401
>>80513010
Doesn't Aku come along and ruin townsville anyway?
>>
>>80510194
>>80513010
>>80512561
I love thinking about that one in parallel to the episode where he kidnaps the Professor and gets the PPG to race around Townsville to look for him, only for it to turn out he's the Professor's waiter at a diner and them failing the hunt makes him pay for his meal

Proof that Him just likes to dick around
>>
>>80516207
I hear so much about people hating that episode. I do not get why?
>>
>>80509391
Because he hit all the right notes for a good villain. Also the Boogie man was best villain.
>>
>>80515541

This, it was the first thing I thought of as a kid. Powerpuff Girls was full of little references to the 60's, partially to fit the aesthetic and partially because of the age of the staff. See: the entire Beat-Alls episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2uCNd1AVJo
>>
>>80513010
Didn't he pull an Aku in that episode?
>>
>>80516501
>Because he hit all the right notes for a good villain.
Yep. Execution counts for a lot. I don't know why people don't factor that in more often.

>Also the Boogie man was best villain.
I'm tempted to agree with this, too, but can a villain really be the best with only one appearance?
>>
>>80509391
>>80509831
Him isn't meant to be really scary for the most part (he has his moments though).
Overall, his entire design was meant to be unnerving. Making the viewer uneasy with how HIM speaks, looks, and acts.
All of it was really out of the norm, including the transexual natures of him compared to mentalities of the time.

Frankly, I'm really shocked that they're bringing HIM back for the reboot with no changes made.
>>
Through the 90s and early 00s cartoons in general (especially those on Cartoon Network) it was not uncommon at all for kids shows to be dark, suggestive, and have adult humor shoe horned in

Somewhere around the mid 00s things started to get incredibly PC and sterile, and then around the 2010s we started getting the brand of kids shows we have now

The mid 00s was a brief dark age for cartoons, really
>>
>>80522234
>Frankly, I'm really shocked that they're bringing HIM back for the reboot with no changes made.
Source?
>>
>>80515016
>I never watched PPG

FTFY
>>
>>80509391
>Why was Him allowed to be on a kid's show?
This was old school CN, censors and execs gave no fucks back in that era

besides you should see the stuff Nick let Ren & Stimpy get away with
>>
>>80509391
Fucking glabrezu.
>>
File: high impact sexual violence.jpg (108 KB, 1312x455) Image search: [Google]
high impact sexual violence.jpg
108 KB, 1312x455
>>80522386
in the reboot the girls all have green lantern light construct powers
this is to tone down the high impact physical violence of the original series
>>
Was he supposed to be the devil or what? Him and the guy from Cowband Chicken both kind of confused me as a kid
>>
File: devil.gif (15 KB, 307x300) Image search: [Google]
devil.gif
15 KB, 307x300
>>80527526
rocko had a cool the devil
>>
>>80509831
does reading about creepypasta "scar you for life"?
>>
>>80527426
That's actually pretty cool, not that I have much hope for the new series, but I mean that isn't a bad idea

Also, the old show was a product of it's time...I loved PPG but it isn't the tone of cartoons now, hyper violence as comedy was a very 90s thing and PPG was one of the last examples of that trend before it went poof
>>
>>80527426
>>80527649
lame
>>
>>80509656
Did people really teach you to hate gays? Or just to shit-talk about them to reaffirm your masculinity?
>>
>>80527526
The red guy was pretty explicitly the devil in all translated dubs, but they couldn't have that in the US.
>>
>>80527649
It was a thing way before the 90s. It still exists but /co/ hates anything modern that uses violence as comedy.
>>
>>80527902
It existed in the form of slapstick in the past, but during the 60s 70s and 80s slapstick greatly reduced, and the 90s emphasized hyper violence and gross out way more than before, example....when Daffy gets his face blown off, it's funny, but he doesn't really look hurt....the violence in something like PPG the funny was clearly coming from the fact that someone was in extreme pain, not just a sight gag
>>
>>80528031
Eh. Donald clearly suffered when he got shit thrown at him.
>>
>>80527649
just read or watch anything GL, this is PPG
>>
>>80527887

The Red Guy (with no pants) was explicitly called the Devil in the Cow and Chicken pilot and never again because America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhutrdncSW8
>>
>>80528077
Yeah, but it wasn't like bleeding, or any level of cringe, I don't know how to explain it really but the kind of violence in PPG was a very 90s thing

Like you would see the Looney Tunes all charred up, or blown to bits, or smashed, but in a purely toon physics way....there was weight to the damage but it wasn't gross out, it was totally non realistic

In PPG you'd see characters bloody and beaten, with apparently broken bones, miserable suffering faces, strugging to get up, etc....it was IMO closer to gross out humor than slapstick
>>
>>80528096
>just read or watch anything GL, this is PPG

No it isn't, it's the PPG reboot. Just like The Batman is nothing like Batman TAS, or Transformers Animated is nothing like Transformers G1
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.