[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AKA 1,000 Cuts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
The series was near perfect until this episode. Still pretty damn great overall, but this episode and afterwards felt stretched out a tad.

What say you, /co/?
>>
/co/ doesn't like it because of BBC
>>
>>80489297
>near perfect
>pretty damn great
Why does this board have such unbelievably low standards and no taste whatsoever?
>>
>>80489297
They overextended the "Jessica is incompetent and everyone knows she's incompetent" thing way too far, till the point it reached absurdity in the middle of the season when she had Killgrave trapped.

By that point, the call for Jessica to get her shit together eventually got drowned out with hoping that she would just step aside and let anyone else handle it, and when your main character is so dumb you wish someone with half a brain was handling the show, you've officially crossed the "Flawed character" threshold into full on "Terrible character".

Understandably, it's a thin line between "Isn't super competent" and "Isn't useless", but when you have such terrible writing and such a contrived and plothole ridden escape in the middle, something your entire show hinges upon just to continue, it would be a stretch to let it pass, just to be gifted with yet another 'Jessica catches him then he escapes" a scant few episodes later.

The fact she never got any better, never advanced her character, never got around the first impulse of 'Kill the guy' was a travesty. A whole show spent trying her very best to bring him to real justice, and in the end, she fails, and yet everyone in the show treats it like it was a success.

This could have been so much more.
>>
Im more pissed Killgrave didnt do more with his powers. I feel like his desire for an upgrade was presented too late in the series.
>>
>>80490185
He's shitposting you moron.

/co/'s complaints are that Jessica's character is lacking and unengaging, the frequent "Killgrave gets captured and escapes" thing is repetitive and gets annoying, the lack of him being purple despite hinting at it at the end and having an opportunity and reasoning, the out of nowhere Heel Turn for Nuke's character that ultimately proved pointless, the frequent and overstuffed side characters who added nothing to the overall narrative for the purpose of forcing a 'theme' at the cost of episode tension and intensity, the massive gaping plothole ridden mess that was the Sensory Tank escape, and the tacked on, unsatisfactory and hollow finale when it implies that Jessica is going to go back to being a hero and helping people, despite her not having changed as a character and done anything to reach this point in thought, all for the purpose of setting up a sequel while giving no regard to what came before it.

Jessica Jones had a lot of issues.
>>
File: madfrog.jpg (7 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
madfrog.jpg
7 KB, 236x236
Jess and Trish were both dumb as hell and bitter. Inb4
>THEY'RE WRITTEN AS INCOMPETENT FUCKUPS IT'S A CHARACTER TRAIT RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>80490669
>Trish does not fathom the severity of mind control powers and continuous to act as such until Killgrave tells her to put a bullet in her head
NOW SHE GETS IT
>>
I don't understand why anyone thinks Kilgrave is the best thing about the show. Is it Doctor Who-fags with a boner for Tennant?

He's easily one of the worst aspects of the show. Just a flat sociopath whose entire existence is to make a viewer hate him. Too pathetic and childlike to have any sort of menacing presence and absolutely uncharismatic.

>inb4 they made him sympathetic
Giving his shitty "WAHH I HAD A HARD LIFE SO I BECAME A CUNT" backstory is not making a character sympathetic. In fact, I was laughing at how bad his whiny attempt at begging for sympathy was.
>b-but he can't turn his powers off
Which was barely explored in any meaningful way.
>>
>>80490504
>>80490169
>a contrived and plothole ridden escape in the middle, something your entire show hinges upon just to continue, it would be a stretch to let it pass, just to be gifted with yet another 'Jessica catches him then he escapes" a scant few episodes later.

Absolutely agree. And how the series came to a close with Jessica deciding to kill Kilgrave because Hope Shlottman up and decided to end herself. The way they reached that end was seriously strained. Especially the contrived way the support group factored into it.

What was with Hogarth though? I don't completely understand why Pam felt the way she did towards her at the end.
>>
>>80490169
I think the problem is that, due to the shared universe, yeah, why the fuck would you ever want Jessica Jones trying to solve this shit?

She lives in the same universe as fucking Iron Man.

IRON MAN.

A plotpoint for one of the useless side-characters who vanished was that she was mad about the attack on New York. Fucking Aliens exist.

But ohhhh nooo, not fucking mind control, not like there was man who used fucking MAGIC ON CAMERA IN GERMANY before the ALIENS fell down! But yeah, I'm sure this guy having superpowers is out of the question. I mean, who has superpowers in this world?

Friendly reminder this took place after AOU.

I have never seen a property hurt so badly by simply being connected to another since fucking Super Mario Bros. The only reason all those people are dead is because they got saddled with Jessica Jones to save them.

That doesn't make me want to root for her, that makes me want to tell her to go a couple blocks away and go let the Iron Men handle the thing she clearly cannot handle before anyone else gets hurt.
>>
>>80490867
>I don't completely understand why Pam felt the way she did towards her at the end.

Pam herself was severely underdeveloped, and as a result it was jarring when one second she's like
>It turns me on so hard when you do whatever it takes to get what you want
Then in the next scene with them together she's
>Holy shit you did some really extreme things to get whatever you want!

Also, I find it hilarious that Pam instantly believed in mind control, which everyone else in this show struggled with. You'd think that would be a plothole, but considering what>>80490944 pointed out, it's actually a sign that she's somehow one of the few people with a brain in this show.
>>
>>80489876
Luke is the best part
>>
>>80490504
You forgot

>The action sucks

Because wow does it suck. I know she isn't supposed to be a ninja or whatever, so I'm not expecting her to do front flips, but her light shoving is so bad. It never looks like she's actually pushing anyone.

That and the jumping effect, but I'm not so picky on the special effects for this stuff. I mean, I know it's bad, but it's not a big deal.
>>
>>80491566

the fights felt more like street fights and brawls with the use of the environment. i actually liked it. nothing was too over-the-top; no ridiculous flying kicks or overstaged combat by characters that shouldn't know, or at least weren't presented to know, anything regarding trained martial arts fighting styles (besides trish).

my only complaint is directed towards the fight with luke near the end. before, she'd just battled a cop and got pushed through her fucking apt wall! and her "flight" seemed even more limited in the latter few eps.

overall, the series had a nice mix of dark, mature, and thriller elements that made it really enjoyable and unpredictable. this series squares evenly in my mind with daredevil actually. it has supporting characters and atmosphere.
>>
>>80489297

This shows greatest mistake was not doing a few episodes of regular cases. The plot was thin and really stretched out.
>>
>>80492530
>it has supporting characters and atmosphere.

I mean to say it has "BETTER" supporting characters than daredevil.

i can't remember daredevil's best bud, but FUCK did his acting cheapen the series for me. y did he have sooo many scenes?!
>>
>>80492627
Are you kidding? Foggy was fucking great and he's an essential supporting Daredevil character. Yeah, he's the fat jokey friend, but he also has a strong moral core underneath that and he's Matt's partner in law.
>>
>>80489297
I was pretty disappointed that Jessica turned out to have always been a pessimistic, bitter, bitch. I was hoping it would have been more in line with the comic with her actually trying to be a superhero before being broken.
Her character was pretty unlikable throughout the show. Tennant's Killgrave was the only reason I stuck it out through the whole season.
>>
>>80492627
Foggy was the best character in Daredevil
>>
>>80492714

Foggy's actor was shit. I get the character's importance to the series but holy fuck; I think I cringed in every one of that actor's scenes.

>>80492834
>Foggy was the best character in Daredevil

Foggy, pls.
>>
>>80492565
Seriously this. It didn't take the idea of being a PI show seriously at all.
>>
>>80492834
He was easily the worst. The show was damn near perfect if not for him and his horrible acting.
>>
>>80490944
To be fair though the show realizes this. Multiple times Jessica tries to shut people out and put them away. She is a self proclaimed poisonous person. She brings people into dark shit and hates it.

The show has it's flaws, but Jessica being an obscenely fucked up person, trying to do good and mostly failing at it is literally what the show is about.
>>
>>80492530
>made it really enjoyable and unpredictable. this series squares evenly in my mind with daredevil actually. it has supporting characters and atmosphere.
This is either shilling or disgustingly shit taste.
>>
>>80489876
I hate niggers but Luke Cage was the best part of the show next to nuke.
>>
>>80489876
Luke Cage was the one thing holding this shitpile of a series together. Two reasons I even watched it to the end, Luke Cage, and because it ties to the coming serieses. At least I hope it does, so that my self-inflicted torture wasn't for nothing.
>>
>>80489297

So I finally got round to watching this and I fucking loved it. sure there were flaws (looking through the thread, the tank escape seems to be the biggest gripe and I agree there) but overall I loved it. thought the finale was pretty intense too.
>>
>>80489297
The mini series was better

I think it works a lot better when Kilgrave can totally control Jessica whenever he wants, but doesn't because he wants her to choose him of her own free will.

The show completely fucked the whole premise by having him utterly powerless to stop her. It's weird trying to root for a hero who could utterly skullfuck the villain at any time without him being able to stop them.

Didn't help when she tortured him for days both mentally and physically AND they gave him a tortured backstory. I was rooting for him by the end.
>>
>>80490867
But the SYMBOLISM
HOPE DIES in this world, BROKEN, by its OWN HANDS
And that scene was vastly improved by screaming everything, which is something I greatly appreciated about every other episode past ep. 5. Never let anything linger in the air, that's what I always say.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.