[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magic school bus Arnold takes his helmet off in space.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: 1453819132697.gif (842 KB, 350x260) Image search: [Google]
1453819132697.gif
842 KB, 350x260
Is this a false interpretation of what would happen if you took your helmet of in space? I know it's a kids show but wouldn't it be much more graphic?
>>
File: 1450374580397.jpg (27 KB, 646x364) Image search: [Google]
1450374580397.jpg
27 KB, 646x364
>implying Magic School Bus didn't do this all the time
>>
That scene freaked me the hell out when I was a kid. Always changed the channel when I knew it was coming.
>>
>>80470863
I knew I wasn't the only one fucking scarred by this shit.
>>
>>80470785
Life always gave him the cold shoulder
>>
Yeah but, I doubt it'd be anything like that one scene from Total Recall either. I suspect you'd 'just' choke, gasp, and die.
>>
My favorite part of that is how smug Arnold looks just as he's about to get his face frozen.

"Yeah, bitch, I'm gonna die but at least I won't have to listen to you anymore"
>>
File: CARLOS.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
CARLOS.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
When I was younger, this always gave me the chills
>>
>>80471720
>You will basically pass out from loss of oxygen and die of hypoxia (lack of oxygen reaching the tissues and the brain) so, you will go unconscious and die. With your helmet free and floating away the air in your lungs will be forced out and the moisture in your nose, eyes and trachea will start to freeze. The pressure in your suit will drop to zero due to the falling oxygen and your blood will start to boil (basically it is similar to the bends, Nitrogen and other gases form bubbles) your flesh will swell, upto twice its normal size as there is now no external pressure pressing on it, although you will not burst.

>Eventually your body wil cool due to sublimation of fluids into a gas state, drawing heat away-funnily enough a exposed human would alternate between cooking and freezing, the side that is exposed to direct sunlight could get very hot and the area in darkness very cold.

I don't know. I'm not an astronaut.
>>
>>80470785
IIRC not much happens.
You won't be able to breathe, but that's about it.
Most of the things people say would happen are because they don't understand/have been misled about how pressure and heat work.
>>
You don't freeze in open space, you boil alive from internal pressure, external radiation and the fact that none of the heat continuously generated by your metabolism has any atmosphere to escape to.
>>
>>80471802
I'm trying to remember, what was Ms. Frizzle's immediate reaction to it?

Because, either way, I'm pretty sure she never took them on any field trips to space again.
>>
>>80471807
Cocksucker!
>>
>that episode when Ms.Frilzle took them all into space and flew directly into the sun. While arnold slowly killed everybody.
>>
>300 replies later
toasting in ebin bread
>>
>>80471876
>>80471910
Not quite accurate. Here's a more detailed explanation: https://youtu.be/lD08CuUi_Ek?t=8m41s
>>
>>80470785
No
>>
>>80471949
>implying after that she wouldn't plan on more
>>
>>80471807
I read this straightforward without even hovering over the spoiler.

Predictable child
>>
>>80471949
probably
oh dear get him on the bus quick
then they fixed him
then they scolded him for not following the rules
>>
>>80472181
that was fun, but pretty depressing. That last bit about making living life as interesting as possible just makes me even more invested in virtual reality.
>>
>>80470785
At least he's finally cool
>>
>>80470863
Me and some fat kid laughed are asses off when it was shown in class.
>>
If I remember right there was a segment at the end of every episode where the "producer" would answer questions froman autistic fan who pointed out scientific inaccuracies on the show, and this was one of the things they admitted was inaccurate.

>>80471949

Pretty sure there was another space episode where the ship turned into the Enterprise and Ms.Frizzle's hair turned into Princess Leia buns.
>>
>>80470785
Your face would get bloated, your breath would come rushing out your nose/mouth/eyes and possibly come out as a cloud of water vapor ice and your eyes would get all bloodshot
You would not freeze
>>
>>80470785
As a matter of fact, at the end of every episode is a producer's segment, where they address some of the hyperbole in each episode.
And they do address Arnold removing his helmet.
>>
File: 640.jpg (36 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
640.jpg
36 KB, 640x360
2001 is about the only film to even come close to accurately depicting what would happen if you went through space without a helmet.
>>
Remember it was also on Pluto. I don't know if this has any impact on whether or not he would freeze. I don't know much about space!

Basically, like >>80470863 this episode killed any interest I had in space travel.
>>
>>80470968

Nope, I still to this day have recurring nightmares about freezing to death in deep space.
>>
File: giphy.gif (945 KB, 500x268) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
945 KB, 500x268
>>80475799

You meant to tell me Total Recall wasn't accurate?
>>
I want that colored light pinball table so fucking badly.
>>
>>80475862

Pluto MIGHT have an atmosphere, albeit a very thin one.
>>
>>80471949
>I'm pretty sure she never took them on any field trips to space again.

There were 3 more space episodes after this one, anon..
>>
>>80475799
That scene is fucking great. The way he sterls himself right before he ejects from the pod, and then it cuts outside to total silence

Gives me the chills every time
>>
>>80475862
Space is mostly just boring
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.