[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My external HD just died and I'm looking to rebuild my comic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_m31ttxkQeD1qc0cxpo1_500.jpg (58 KB, 500x654) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m31ttxkQeD1qc0cxpo1_500.jpg
58 KB, 500x654
My external HD just died and I'm looking to rebuild my comic collection, /co/mrades.

Can any of you recommend great one-shots/limited series/elseworlds/etc that you think EVERYONE who is a comic fan should read?
>>
Friendly bump.

Everyone who is a comic fan should read Cerebus the Aardvark. It's one of the most important and influential series of all time, and it holds the world record for longest English-language comic ever made by a single author. To quote Alan Moore:
>"Cerebus, as if I need to say so, is still to comic books what Hydrogen is to the Periodic Table, and is one of the only comics that I still read and enjoy regularly every month."

t. Cerebus shill
>>
>>80448706
Iiiiii enjoyed Cerebus up until Sim lost his goddamn mind and became a raging misogynist.

Outside of that, solid 9/10 would read again.

Right now, I'm looking into getting stuff like:

- Maus
- We3
- The DMZ
- Superman: Red Son
- Old Man Logan
- The Hulk: THE END
- American Virgin
- Y: The Last Man

etc, etc, etc
>>
>>80448796
>Iiiiii enjoyed Cerebus up until Sim lost his goddamn mind and became a raging misogynist.
It never stops being bad. Cerebus is the pinnacle of the comics medium. No American creator has ever come close.
>>
>>80448796
>We3
Duncan the Wonder Dog. It's about animal servitude and philosophy, but without the fight scenes.
>>
>>80448796
If you liked Y, Pride of Baghdad is a solid one-shot by BKV with gorgeous art.
Bone and Love and Rockets are musts.
>>
>>80448842
So the pinnacle of the comics medium never stops being bad? Wew lad, guess we're fucked.
Also, I guess also those franco-belgian authors ain't worth shit, huh?
>>
>>80448893
>I guess also those franco-belgian authors ain't worth shit, huh?
I said American creators for a reason. Sim isn't even American.
>>
>>80448842
Cerebus, again, was very enjoyable for me and did a lot of things conceptually other comics would take years to get around to. The author, unfortunately, is a sociopath and let too much of his personal beliefs bleed into the last parts of Cerebus--which brought down the narrative and warped the series into his soapbox.

>>80448875
Everyone always recs Love and Rockets, but I can never get past the art. Will try and check it out!

>>80448893
I've always wanted to get into French/Euro comics, but so many of them aren't translated.
>>
>>80448979
>The author, unfortunately, is a sociopath
He is not. Was a bad time in his life is all. I bet you've never even met or spoken to the guy. You're letting your own feelings cloud your judgement desu
>>
>>80449029
Bruh, I've read interviews about the guy and op eds he's wrote throughout the later parts of his career.

Bad time or not, he is a bucket full of cray-cray.
>>
>>80449130
>he is a bucket full of cray-cray.
>>>/t/umblr
>>
>>80448842
>Cerebus is the pinnacle of the comics medium
It's good but it's not that good.
>>
>>80449175
What is then?
>>
>>80448979
>Everyone always recs Love and Rockets, but I can never get past the art. Will try and check it out!
Which art?

Love & Rockets is two different creators telling unconnected stories in one magazine.

>>80449164
Who cares? Why are you making such a big deal out of their opinion on Sim? They still liked the comic.

For what it's worth, I posted >>80448706 and I agree, Sim is cuckoo (untreated borderline schizophrenic).
>>
>>80449164
>>80449029
"[Sim] has refused to maintain contact with anyone who will not sign a form letter denying that he is a misogynist."

Ignoring the tumblr-bait: a normal person doesn't do this shit.
>>
Death of Jean Dewolff is the best Spider Man story ever
>>
>>80449195
>Love & Rockets is two different creators telling unconnected stories in one magazine.
Also the art changes for the two drastically in both cases too.
>>
I have a nearly complete publishing history of DC, Marvel, Rebel/2000AD, and am working on Valiant and Image.

I also have a Dropbox.

Make requests and I'll upload a folder.
>>
The Challengers of the Unknown Must Die!
It's an amazing story and when I read it I was shocked that I had never seen anyone recommend it before. I went in expecting it to be about on par with The Long Halloween and got something vastly better.
>>
>>80449205
You spelled If This Be My Destiny wrong.
Actually, the first 250 issues of ASM should all be required reading.
>>
>>80449190
I haven't read every comic in existence but from what I've read stuff from Moebius and Corto Maltese are better imo.
>>
Superior Ironman
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Larfleeze
Suicide Squad (Ostrander)
Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
Doctor Strange / Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
Axis Carnage / Hobgoblin
Beta Ray Bill God hunter
Empowered
>>
>>80449279
I'm looking for some of DC and Marvel's old romance comics, my collection is kinda spotty. Do you think you'd be able to help?

Also OP don't forget all that good /co/ approved manga, Uzumaki, Solanin, Lone Wolf, anythin by Yoshihiro Tatsumi.
>>
>>80449279
My request would probably be your top 10 picks of comics, bruh.

>>80449338
>>80449205
I've always heard people say "Kraven's Last Hunt" is one of the best Spider-Man stories. (Though I've got a huge soft spot for Spider-Man: Blue)

>>80449309
What's it about?
>>
File: comics.jpg (2 MB, 2490x1914) Image search: [Google]
comics.jpg
2 MB, 2490x1914
could use an update but here was a image I made a while back of my favorites
>>
>>80449164
Not hating women is tumblr now? Huh, guess I missed the memo.
>>
>>80449453
The Challengers of the Unknown are a group of death-defying adventurers from the 50s, mostly notable for inspiring the Fantastic Four. Must Die examines how they fit into the (then) modern DC universe and basically serves as their equivalent to All-Star Superman or The Dark Knight Returns. It's also Jeph Loeb's first comic.
>>
File: 1448414698665.jpg (26 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1448414698665.jpg
26 KB, 450x450
>>80449757
>Jeph Loeb
>>
File: 1453509449837.png (192 KB, 368x368) Image search: [Google]
1453509449837.png
192 KB, 368x368
>>80449803
>not knowing the difference between pre-dead son Loeb and post-dead son Loeb
Besides, it's worth it for Sale's paneling regardless of the writer.
>>
>>80449447
How old we talking here, late 40's or 60's? Off the top of my head there's Young Romance, Girls' Romance, Girls' Love Stories,Heart Throb... They've all had various renumberings and renamings and different publishers, it's kind of crazy.

>>80449453
Working on it.
>>
>>80449872
Pre dead son Loes wasn't some stellar scribe or anything either. His best work was carried because he had Tim Sale.
>>
>>80449915
60s, though honestly I'd take anything. Like you said, the numberings and series jumps got so confusing - I've just got a hodepodge of shit I've found over the years online, and what little has been collected in trades. I like Young Love and Young Romance a lot, they're my favourite kind of classic comic, one of the few where it's roots are infinitely better than anything recent.
>>
>>80449915
Do you have any issues of Young Lust? I've been wanting to read it since I first read some segments from Bill Griffith: Lost and Found which had some of the stuff he did for it in it.
>>
>>80450002
And his best work is the one I recommended. Notice how I said it was vastly better than the very overhyped Long Halloween. Even if he isn't stellar, this book in particular is.
>>
>>80450006
Cool, I've got most everything Kirby did for Atlas/Marvel in the romance genre and I'll do everything I have of Young Love/Romance.

>>80450067
Sadly that's outside the scope of my collection at the moment.
>>
>>80450210
Just so you know, it's gonna take forever for this shit to upload, so if the thread isn't still up later I'll just make a new one.
>>
>>80449279
If it's not too late to request, could you do some old Marvel anthologies? The alien invader of the month and criminals messing with science or the supernatural and getting an ironic punishment. Stuff like Man in the Mummy Case and The Thing From Planet X.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.