[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Disney's Golden Age
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: GoldenAge.jpg (17 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
GoldenAge.jpg
17 KB, 500x300
Let's have a discussion about the Golden Age of Disney Animated Features. This covers the period of 1937 to 1942, and contains 5 films: Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, and Bambi.

Which was your favorite? Least favorite? Do you feel these movies still hold up 70+ years later? Let's discuss.
>>
Pinocchio is still one of the best Disney movies ever made. Beautiful animation nearing perfection, that clock shop scene is still one of the best scenes I've ever seen.

Never did like Bambi though. Always found it pretty boring.
>>
Eh, they're all way too outdated for me. They have some good animation, but the stories are way too bland, nowhere near as good as the newer stuff.
>>
Dumbo and Pinocchio are best on that list. Pinocchio is gorgeous, lots of airbrushing for lighting that looks really good on the Blue Fairy.

Unfortunately, Dumbo is one of those movies that gets ruined for you as an adult, especially now-a-days, because of everyone screaming about the racist crows. As as kid, I didn't even know they were being a caricature as anything, I just thought they were singing crows. Shows you how much this shit affects kids.
>>
>>80346770
The crows aren't even that bad. They're ne of the few entirely positive figures in the movie, they give Dumbo their full support, even if they laugh a bit beforehand. Do modern black people actually find them racist, or is it just white guilt white people saying it?
>>
Bambi is an amazing work of animation. Disney needs to make something like it again.
>>
>>80346938
>or is it just white guilt white people saying it?

bingo
>>
>>80346579
This is more like the Bronze age.
>>
>>80347015
Bronze is the 70s
>>
Also, in case anyone is interested, I've done this a few times, but I'm about to start an annual marathon through Disney movies, starting tonight in a few minutes. Gonna stream Snow White, Pinocchio, and Fantasia tonight. If you're interested, come on in.

livestream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
I need to re-watch all of these except Pinocchio, which I saw again a few months ago, and it definitely still holds up.
Figaro is the best.
>>
>>80346755
They are. I mean, Snow White isn't bad but it has aged noticeably. When the Prince opens his mouth to sing, it sounds like a Hoagy Carmichael B-side.
>>
Dumbo is definitely the weakest imo. It feels the most pandering to young children, while the others stand pretty well for all ages to enjoy. I still like Dumbo though because I love the circus.

The other four besides Dumbo are all so good it's impossible for me to pick a favorite.
>>
>>80347110
There's a stream for the movies linked in here friendo, if you wanna check 'em out.
>>
>>80347295
Dumbo's way too short too. It's barely even an hour. Though all the earlier movies are reallyl short compared to later ones I guess, but Dumbo always stood out to me as really short.
>>
File: gepetto.webm (3 MB, 958x720) Image search: [Google]
gepetto.webm
3 MB, 958x720
>>80346645
>>80346770
>>
>>80347068
Depends if you're looking at it in terms of animated feature-length films or Disney cartoons overall.
>>
>>80347086
Some Oswald is playing now
>>
>>80347086
This is perfect. I was just about to start rewatching the Disney canon before I go to Disney World in October.
>>
Dumbo doesn't belong in the golden age. The animation is clearly inferior quality. No detailed backgrounds like in the other films.
>>
>>80347801
It's still made in the same era as the others. They may differ in quality, but it'd be weird to separate Dumbo as its own category, when Bambi does still belong. Dumbo may have been rushed, but that was because of the Strike shit, and regardless it's still one of the first Disney movies made before thePackage era, which puts it as Golden Age..
>>
Is there a timeline with all the eras named? I'm curious about the '00s
>>
Snow White is about to start in the stream if anyone's interested!
>>
>>80347992
Also, I'd say Dumbo deserves Golden Age respect for Pink Elephants alone.
>>
>>80348081
Era designation gets kinda subjective after Tarzan.

Personally, I end the Renaissance at Fantasia 2000 (while most people stop at Tarzan) and declare Robinsons the start of what people call the current "Revival Era", but most start at Princess and the Frog. People call everything in-between these various points the "Experimental Era".
>>
>>80346579
Honestly, the only one of these I'd care to see again is Fantasia. Not that the others are "bad", but I can't think of a reason I'd want to see them again as an adult.
>>
It's been a long time since I've watched Pinocchio, but I've seen a lot of interviews where guys who worked on it (like Bill Peet) said its production was a really jumbled mess. Obviously it still wound up being impressive because it's Disney, but how do its technical production values stand up to the highlights from the golden age?
>>
File: 1447197771902.png (2 MB, 1010x912) Image search: [Google]
1447197771902.png
2 MB, 1010x912
>>80348081
>>
>>80348290
Monstro's still pretty GOAT in term of effects animation
>>
>>80348341
He was asking for the Eras. The usual agreed one is:
Golden Age: Snow White - Bambi
Package Era: Saludos Amigos - Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Silver Age: Cinderella - Jungle Book
Bronze Age/Dark Age: Aristocats - Oliver and Company
Renaissance: Little Mermaid - Tarzan
Experimental Era: Fantasia 2000 - Bolt
Revival Era: Princess and the Frog to Present.

Some differ on the start and end times for Renaissance and Revival though, like an earlier poster said.
>>
>>80348206
But it should start with Robinsons, having the same people working since then. And Robinsons was a good movie anyways.
>>
>>80347458
Dumbo is a much lower budget film with less running time and simplified animation because the first four all lost tons of money.
>>
>>80348486
You mean Fantasia lost tons of money. Snow White was a huge success and I thought Pinocchio was also a success. Fantasia was the first commercial failure I recall.
>>
>>80346579
>an "age"
>of 5 years
thats more of a period
>>
>>80348792
Pinocchio was also a commercial failure. It did okay in America, but it came out right when the War closed off the international box-office. Fantasia had similar issues.
>>
>>80348341
Too bad this needs an update in a week.
>>
>>80348426

I thought Jungle Book and Sword in the Stone were part of the Dark Age.
>>
>>80349261
Jungle Book was the last Walt-influenced movie and Sword in the Stone was made before it.
>>
>>80346579
Snow White a shit, Pinocchio a best.
>>
>>80349261
The Silver Age is from the return to "real" movies after WWII until Walt's death. Jungle Book is the last movie Walt was really involved in, which is why the Dark Age starts with Aristocats, the first movie made after Walt's death.
>>
>>80349534
Also because Jungle Book is one of the best Disney films and Aristocats is junk
>>
>>80349730
>Aristocats is junk

Shut your whore mouth.
>>
Pinocchio is about to start in the stream!
>>
>>80350034
It's got "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat", but that's about it.

Edgar's just too idiotic a villain.
>>
>>80348426
Even if the silver age designation is helpful due to to covering movies made post-package, pre-Walt's death, I most often hear people divide it further with the Xerography era (which would probably range from 101 Dalmatians to either Rescuers or Black Cauldron.)

Fox and the Hound was the start of a lot of new blood in the studio, but Mermaid is as good a dividing mark as any because it signaled a newfound success and paradigm for plots.
>>
How come some Disney moves like Sword in the Stone and the Aristocats have really sketchy lines?
>>
>>80346645
Pinocchio is the best Disney Movie ever made.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the epitome of everything that made Disney Disney.

It's the best looking, most powerful, especially for a cartoon, film they've ever made.

The only thing that comes close is Fantasia, and that only comes close to the visuals.
>>
>>80350745
Xerography was a process that allowed pencil drawings to be used in the final animation without inking them. Some people like the look, and I think it goes well with more abstract movies like 101 Dalmatians, but it can look a bit cheap if it's used for everything.
>>
Fantasia is the most gutsy thing Disney's ever done. It's a shame that Fantasia 2000 didn't do well enough for them to do more.
>>
>>80347469
Do you think 2d animation will ever reign supreme again?
>>
>>80351869
They were going to do a third film, but it got cancelled during Eisner's "Imma flip out and kill 2D animation" phase.

Four segments were finished and released as shorts: Destino, Lorenzo, One by One and Little Matchgirl
>>
>>80352473
I dunno. Tangled and Frozen's successes feel like they've doomed 2D animation in the US at least. At least it's still around in Japan and Europe, though it feels like France has been steadily switching to 3D now too, but I still see the occasional 2D from Europe.
>>
Pinocchio's ending in the stream, so Fantasia is coming up!
>>
>>80346938
People mistake their happy agreeable attitudes who come to the aid of the needy character for that of an Uncle Tom. Yessir mastah, so and so. I find this bullshit, but some people think that's true.
The other side is that the main crow's production name was Jim Crow (Never said in the movie) and he was voiced by Cliff Edwards, a white jazz singer who sung with a "black voice".

(Skip to 1:07)
https://youtu.be/-0L_oJMhcs0?t=1m7s

I mean, I see where they're coming from on that end, but also, I don't give a shit, I think the Crows are fine characters. We have people now-a-days who still put on stereotypical personas. Larry the Cable Guy, a shit ton of black comedians purposely say their jokes in a loud and rambunctious manner, reality tv shows exploit that shit all the time.
>>
>>80352473
>>80352802

eventually Disney will announce A BRAND NEW 2D ANIMATED MOVIE to get the Disney hype back after several years of 3D shit
>>
>>80353155
Dinosaur time on Fantasia
>>
>>80346579

Pinocchio's easily my least favorite. It made so many departures from the original, and only a few of them were ones I liked. It also made one of the more interesting characters in the story(the fairy), with the most development after Pinocchio himself into a nigh non-entity(from a character that had similar growth to Pinocchio to "good fairy who magics everything better").

It's still a very competently told movie and very well made, I recognize that, but it's easily the one I like the least.
>>
>Watching all the Disney films in release order because the last time I saw anything pre-Tarzan except for Beast and Aladdin was when I was in elementary school.
Should I bother with the package era or skip straight to Cinderella? I remember a few things like Sleepy Hollow being pretty good but I get the impression that they're better off watched as shorts than as theatrical films.
>>
>>80358463
Sleepy Hollow is only good around Halloween but it's worth waiting for that sweet Bing Crosby autumnal serenade.
>>
>>80346579
Favorite of them was Fantasia for sure. Least was Pinocchio, which was half scary and half boring. Dumbo and Bambi I know I watched as a kid, but I have no real memory of them.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.