[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on Saga?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6
File: Saga.png (262 KB, 650x341) Image search: [Google]
Saga.png
262 KB, 650x341
What are your thoughts on Saga?
>>
Meh. It's okay, I guess. I dropped it a long time ago because I'm not the target audience for it.
>>
Dogshit like everything else BKV writes.
>>
File: wiEiDpk.png.jpg (246 KB, 1024x466) Image search: [Google]
wiEiDpk.png.jpg
246 KB, 1024x466
It showcases just how bad BKV can be, and higlights his huge problem with how he uses character deaths as a crutch in his writing.

Still somewhat enjoy it though.
>>
Its a pretty good read.
>>
Story is pretty meh. Art is bretty gud tho.
>>
File: Saga14_016.jpg (512 KB, 2044x1152) Image search: [Google]
Saga14_016.jpg
512 KB, 2044x1152
The first 15 issues are good. Around that time BKV decided not to kill the goose laying golden eggs. Nowadays it has no direction.
>>
Haven't read it in a while because I'm waiting on the second big hardcover for it. Last issue I read teased at that Dad team up.

I like it. A lot of the criticisms are very valid but it's a very enjoyable comic. I see a lot of people compare it to Game of Thrones and I think it's kind of a fair comparison. It's enjoyable shlock.
>>
>>80318560

Saga is great because there really isn't anything else quite like it. There's just so much thrown in to it that even though it uses a lot of cliches and tropes, it still feels fresh since it's such a unique mix.

Where else are you gonna see space alien blowjobs and spider tits

I mean, come on
>>
>>80318560
It's a shit comic
>>
>>80318560
I like it. Loved the world it set it, probably because I'm a sucker of completely different characters reacting to each other.
>>
>>80318560

I'd probably like it more if it wasn't praised as one of the greatest comics ever. Going in with such high expectations ruined it for me.
>>
It's pretty great. The blacklash is hysterical. Yea anons, it's a little overrated, that doesn't mean it's the worst thing since cancer. It just means it's a little overrated.
>>
Kinda surprised I rarely ever see it posted on /co/.

The surreal/humorous stuff really don't meld well with the serious bits.
>>
It's okay, I enjoy it enough to own the first three volumes but the arc after that was boring as shit and I dropped it. I'm probably going to wait a couple years and plow through the backlog unless it turns to complete shit.
>>
>>80319446
Overrated is the worst shit. It's just what people toss around when they don't want to explain what about the comic is a issue with them. It's lazy. Lazier than just saying "It's shit." At least those dudes are up front and you can just decide not to engage with them because they're very firm in their stance about it.

>>80319449
It was extremely popular the first three volumes. Once the time skipped happened was when it's popularity died down a bit but before that Saga threads were all over the place because it was hella new. Lying Cat getting jettisoned into space threw /co/ into a fucking meltdown for a day.
>>
Honestly it reminds me of something Heavy Metal would publish in the 80s. Only with more hipsterish dialogue.
>>
>>80319573
Yeah overrated and " not as good as everyone says" are empty statements

That being said, I don't like Saga
>>
>>80318560
it's pretty boring. it started off strong, but quickly lost steam. the 2-3 month breaks between arcs doesn't help. neither does the time jumps and narration. it just feels like shortcuts to storytelling because they're lazy and don't know how to connect their ideas. there's no real character development and it doesn't really feel like the story is going anywhere. but there was a breastfeeding baby, a live birth, a trap, a ghost with guts hanging out, child prostitution, etc thrown in for shock value so people think it's something special. the art is nice for the most part.
>>
>>80319719
Personally I like it. Though it is a bit over praised.
>>
It lost a lot of steam after the first timeskip, it feels directionless. I have hopes for the new issues, though.

Sir robot is great. and the best dad.
>>
>>80319923
Fat the Will though
>>
>>80319958
eh, I never cared about him and he's not even that hot.

Robot > Gale > Marko > Will > fish reporters > everyone else.
>>
>>80318560
I hear people rave about it all the time, but every time I try to pick it up I feel like I'm reading a shitty Warren Ellis impression starring Deviantart OCs.
>>
>>80320113
>and he's not even that hot.
sometimes i forget where i am.
>>
>>80320222

why else would you like him? True, he's better than some of the cast, but he's boring.
>>
>>80320420
sorry, anon. i don't masturbate to comic books.
>>
>>80318560

Love it. Best thing I've read in years. Beautiful world building, interesting, rounded characters and frequent gut punches right in the feels. Artwork is stunning; the colours are incredible. I'm probably in the minority on here as it's not capeshit and it's probably written off as tumblr-core.
>>
Millennials! The comic
>>
>>80320780
>rounded characters
here's where you lose me. the characters are potentially interesting, but they really don't seem filled out to me or have much depth.
>>
>>80318560
Waiting for the next volume
>>
>>80318560
Got bored once after the whole lighthouse arc.
>>
>>80318560

Its good. But it got way too much normie attention early on so its easy to nitpick, so its flaws become obvious.

Maybe, if it continues for 5 or so years, and BKV puts more attention into giving it a cohesive story that doesn't feel like daytime tv soaps that just make it up as they go, it will be much better regarded.
>>
>>80318560
it's no Y: The Last Man
>>
>>80320780
>it's not capeshit

It is capeshit, but the good kind. Like Alan Moore's Top10
>>
>>80321425
Its really more Science Fantasy
>>
>>80318560
baby's first Image comic.
>>
>>80318560
I haven't read it in a while. Is the hired merc guy still in a coma?

Is Prince Robot still the best character?
>>
>>80322014
No and yes.
>>
File: tumblr_nocygq3mXf1qc2f84o1_1280.jpg (296 KB, 833x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nocygq3mXf1qc2f84o1_1280.jpg
296 KB, 833x1280
>>80322014

best char is pic related

DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>80324544
terrible issue
>>
Started pretty good but went down the shitter later.
>>
>>80318560
Solid comic. But it does its best to have cliffhanger after cliffhanger, which I guess is okay for single issues but is fucking considering more people are going to get it in TPB form.

BKV has a huge issue finishing strong though and it's already showing signs of weakening though.
>>
>>80327808
it's just going to be some maudlin saccharine shit about family, the kind of thing you'd expect a middle-age family man who wants his funny books to be taken seriously to write.
>>
>>80327808
> does its best to have cliffhanger after cliffhanger
Really shows that he used to write for LOST
>>
>>80324544
It wasn't weed it was platinum chocolate
>>
Some of the absolute worst character design I've ever seen in a comic. Just disgusting, lazy shit. The fucking hipster fish man.
>>
I like it enough that I want to continue it and see where it goes.

It's 7.5/10 for me just because of the art and overworld is pretty cool.
>>
>>80324544
The way they act reminds me more of lsd then pot.
>>
>>80318560
First arc is goddamn amazing, legit 10/10

The moment it timeskips it kinds starts to lose steam.
desu I dropped around that part and never picked it up again, did it get better?
>>
>>80321351
I didn't like Y that much.
>>
>>80318560
I need to just man up and fucking drop it. I still buy it every month in hopes that something awesome will come out of it, but nope. It's clear the book is un-salvageable. Every arc teases some really awesome ideas and concepts and every arc fails to deliver, spectacularly. The book had so much promise early on, but I think that was just a facade, because the world and characters were new to me. Now that I've been around the block a few times, I've realized there's nothing to see here, but I still drop 2.99 a month on this book for some reason. That's it, OP, you've convinced me to drop it. I'm making a note in my personal planner right now, so I don't forget.

>>80318750
>war usually ends up sucking for most women
Oh yeah. Sucks so much not having to worry about being drafted.
>>
File: Saga_9_Panel.jpg (158 KB, 781x627) Image search: [Google]
Saga_9_Panel.jpg
158 KB, 781x627
Saga is probably the greatest CW show that we'll never see. It's junk food for the medium brow Indie Comic aficionado crowd and it does a spectacular job at being that. As such it's a great comics gateway drug. Anyone who says it's high art is fooling themselves. It's a book that hinges entirely on the attitudes of BKV. It's funny, exciting, and a bit cruel to those who are invested. I think it's gone downhill a little since he started so many other comics projects. Definitely give the first 15 issues or so a try.

Fiona Staples is excellent of course and has the midas touch.
>>
>>80319923
He's the best character in the book. But unfortunately, he's painfully underutilized. This book tricks me into continuing to read it every time he shows up, and I get excited to see him do cool shit, but nothing ever comes of it.

>>80319958
How did he even get fat? Was there an explanation in this month's issue? I really only skimmed it.
>>
>>80318560
I think its pretty good.

I feel that a fair amount of the adult content is kinda shoehorned in though.
>>
>>80333563
Its been a few years. Guess he hasn't been taking care of himself in the meantime. Guess going crazy does that to you
>>
Shit.
>>
>>80333367
I think it's more that women tend to end up as collateral damage and/or widows
>>
>>80334616
Widows to dead men
>>
>>80318750
>quoting Hilary Clinton
>>
File: 2294555-stalk3__2_.jpg (725 KB, 1280x1518) Image search: [Google]
2294555-stalk3__2_.jpg
725 KB, 1280x1518
>>80318560
I lost most of my interest when they killed off The Stalk.
>>
>>80334941
Those dead guys have it easy compared to those poor, oppressed womyn.
>>
It's alright. I feel like it's one of those comics that's super decompressed and the issues themselves are pretty skimpy. I devour it pretty fast and am left hungry for more.
>>
>>80334941
>>80335218
>how dare those fucking feminazis complain, they've only had the people they love killed
Minifig is usually an idiot, but he's got a point for once.
>>
>>80324544
This was just an unexpected gag. I paid of.
>>
>>80335013
It was exciting that she actually died. I didn't think she would because she was quite obviously the most interesting thing in the whole comic. But definitely the fact that she stayed out of the comic made me sad. Didn't she have a brother or was that a rule 63 I saw?
>>
>>80335578
Yeah, but he's not terribly involved in things. Kinda fucking mad that we have a cast of humanoids with biological eccentricities (horns, wings, TV head, being a seal) rather than some damn alien monsters that are super alien monsters.
>>
>>80318560
I liked the first two volumes but the third left me feeling meh
Haven't really had the urge to read the rest
>>
>>80335430
>women's bodies are too precious to be sent to war, but we're all totally equal
>women's feelings are more important than men's bodies, but we're all totally equal
I'm tired of current year
>>
>>80336630
Yeah, because things tend to go so well when the untrained women who are left on their own end up in an occupied city.
>>
>>80336674
>you didn't say it was THE WORST EVER therefore you think there's nothing wrong with it at all
I never said women had it easy, and I didn't even say that men had it worse. My issue is with "the scale" being used in the first place.
>>
>>80336801
That's a fair assessment. Sorry for being an asshole.
>>
Traded all 4 of my TPBs for the first Birthright TPB. Thought it was garbage desu
>>
It's mostly good. Only people sputtering about SJWs will call it outright shit. Beautiful art. Boobs everywhere, too.
>>
>>80334616

they also get raped en masse as part of the war effort, that part's gotta suck too
>>
>>80333563
>This book tricks me into continuing to read it every time he shows up, and I get excited to see him do cool shit, but nothing ever comes of it.

I feel exactly the same way. I keep expecting him to get tired of all the shit he gets put through, but the closest we got was when he killed Dengo.

My hope is that his son becomes a takes-no-shit robot like his Princess was, decides to reclaim the throne and goes back to kick Gale's and the King's asses.
>>
>>80340196
War kinda just sucks for everyone, directly fighting or not.
>>
>>80340146
>MUH POL BOOGEYMAN

Back to tumblr.
>>
> This fucking argument

every damn time. Where are you people going to understand that Hazel is a first person narrator, ergo her views are affected by her upbringing?

She think war sucks more for women because save for Marko, all the prominent figures in her life as far as she can remember have been women that got royally fucked over by war.
>>
It's just tumblr tier race mixing propaganda.
>>
>>80318560
Enjoyable, but meandering. It doesn't feel like it's going anywhere, or like there was a story planned.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.