[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>try to read silver age marvel >every page is 3x3 panels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: 1450000521157.jpg (32 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
1450000521157.jpg
32 KB, 620x400
>try to read silver age marvel
>every page is 3x3 panels with walls of text
why is this allowed?
>>
>not liking 3x3 master race

Gather yourself to your insignificance, scum.
>>
Try spiderman, is enjoyable at silver age.
>>
File: high-fives.jpg (33 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
high-fives.jpg
33 KB, 512x384
>>80309415
Because the first readable American capeshit comic book was written in 1980 and it was Daredevil #168 by Frank Miller.
>>
>>80309768
Actually, Lee/Ditko's Spiderman is very guilty of this.
>>
The monologue walls is my biggest turn off for that age of comics. I get that they're important and miles better than what came before, but I'm still glad that they moved away from that style.
>>
File: blake-and-mortimer.jpg (111 KB, 540x439) Image search: [Google]
blake-and-mortimer.jpg
111 KB, 540x439
Walls of text? Sure we got them
>>
Even the more recent ones suffer from the same plague
>>
>>80309964
Early Action Comics and Captain Marvel comics (especially the monster society of evil) are very readable.
>>
I like walls of text.
>>
>>80309415
Say what you want, but a lot of shit actually happened in those issues. Look at everything that goes down in the first Fantastic Four story.
>>
>>80310210
Plastic Man as well.
>>
>>80310210
Otto Binder, yo
>>
They had "walls of text" because they told a complete story arc in one issue, not dragging it out for 6 plus. The truly epic events like Coming of Galactus where the caliber of story arc thst got multiple issues.
>>
>>80310395
>if one of those big stories came out now it would be enough to fill an omnibus with 12 issues of vaguely ominous warnings that something big is going to happen
>>
>>80309415
>3x3
Blame Ditko.

Read some Kirby or something else.

>walls of text
Writers wanted to actually get paid. It's dumb, but it's a trope that has more to do with accounting than artistic vision.
Go read Steranko or later where there was a precedent for writer-artists to get paid without having to fill as many panels as possible with text.
>>
File: 1373605593105.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1373605593105.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
>>every page is 3x3 panels with walls of text

Tell me about it.

>mfw reading early Thor runs

How did this shit last so long?
>>
>>80310568
>It's dumb, but it's a trope that has more to do with accounting than artistic vision.
I remember a solo writer/artist giving an interview about how he did a silent opening for either a Punisher or Nick Fury comic, and he had to convince his editors that he should be paid for writing it despite there not being any words on page. What a strange time.
>>
>>80309964
What the fuck are you actually talking about ?

You just said ALL cape comics were bad for like 50+ years before that one random ass issue came out.
>>
>>80310888
That's the Steranko incident he mentioned.
>>
>>80310897
I'm talking about superhero comics. Moore and Miller were first competent capeshit writers, and people like Lee, Kirby, Byrne, Michelinie, etc. were utter hacks.
>>
>>80309964
>>80309964
>Not liking silver/Bronze age stuff by the likes of Elliot S Maggin, O'Neil and Adams, Lee and Ditko, Kirby.

Tell me how sad your life is.
>>
>>80310072
Lee didn't have anything to do with the panelling.
>>
>>80311227
Lee in fact had very little to do with anything.
>>
>>80311101
Your opinion on comics makes you an invalid. I'd say never procreate, but your opinion pretty much ensures no women would ever want you.

Kirby did more to move comics forward positively then either of those two. If they were the genesis of comics, they wold not be here today.
>>
>it's a commie issue
>it's another commie issue
>a commie issue again
>an irrelevant villain issue
>commie issue
>>
>>80311490
I loved Tales to Astonish, too.
>>
>>80311345
>Kirby did more to move comics forward
It's a ridicousosly Americentric and capeshit-centric view. Besides, even if Kirby has had a huge "positive influence" over the medium, it's an irrelevant point - he still wrote like a 14 y.o. teenager.
>>
>>80311942
You say, ignoring all the sci-fi and romance books he worked on. Also, I'm pretty sure we are, in fact, discussing American comic writers. Frank Miller writes like a 14yo too, just an angry angsty one.
>>
>>80311227
But he did have a problem with over explaining every scene.
>>
>>80312136
That's because he's a hack writer who thinks that dialogue, captions and thought bubbles should describe everything you can see on-panel.

I hope that one day somebody edits all the comics he ruined into something less superfluous.
>>
>>80311682
Tales to Astonish is good if you ignore most of the Pym stories and also Namor, but Pym is the guiltiest of gommie shit. The Hulk features were good

Marvel was really really awful about the commie propaganda.
Silver Age Marvel is really overrated. The only things that were any good are F4, Spider-Man, the Cap stories in Tales of Suspense and Kirby on JIM/Thor(but really only near the end where he gets wildly creative)
>>
>>80309415
That's why Bronze Age is master race.
>>
To me the most frustrating part of the Lee/Kirby era comics is how every single sentence characters said ended in a exclamation point, like they were shouting everything.
>>
>>80312288
Yeah I was going to say the Cap/Kirby Cap stories were suprisingly good.

Avengers gets good once the original Avengers leave and the Kooky Quartet comes in.
>>
File: Tales of Suspense 061-023.jpg (13 KB, 161x124) Image search: [Google]
Tales of Suspense 061-023.jpg
13 KB, 161x124
>>80312411
>Avengers gets good
It doesn't though
>>
>>80312406
There was a reason as to why the put exclamations points, a printing rwason, I forgot what it was though but apparently their shitty printers limited them a lot and I didn’t realize that until I saw a Kirby painting.
>>
>>80312450
It did for me, I mean yeah the dialogue is hammy and exagerated to whoah but I liked the character dynamics, and I liked how Cap and three low tier ex-terrorists were able to defeat Kang the Conqueror.

Before that it was Iron Man being a fuck up, Jan being annoying, Hank moping because no ona cared about hid ants or being jealous, and Thor being an ass.

Those comics are extremely dated, done with the Marvel method, made for kids and teens in mind, and Stan Lee was writing almost all of the comics that were printing back then so I don't expect anything fancy but it was entertaining for what it was.
>>
>>80312288
Leave it to a tripfag to have shit taste.
>>
>>80311942
>claims Miller was first competent writer while claiming Kirby wrote like a 14 y.o. teenager
>uses "capeshit"

How long were you going to hide that you weren't from /co/, /tv/mblr?
>>
>>80312669
It gets better, but not good imo. Incessant arguing between low powered goons is only mildly better than a broke, boring version of the Justice League.

>>80312737
What do you even think is good from Marvel back then?
>>
All of you are forgetting how good Lee-Ditko Dr. Strange/Strange Tales was. A better Dr. Strange has not been written.
>>
>>80313030
The Ditko art is good but the stories are the same shit every time
>Strange Tales
Plum forgot about Steranko and his stuff there. That's a goodun too
>>
>>80311490
>>80312288
Sounds to me like yous a damn dirty pinko.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.