[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /co/ think about the CGC? Useful tool for agreeing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 1
What does /co/ think about the CGC? Useful tool for agreeing on a grade and price of comics? Abomination to the art and readability?

My opinion is that they are a bit like packaging, useful for keeping books liquid, but if for you personal collection should probably be opened to be enjoyed, unless they are so high grade that it would make more sense to read a lesser copy or reprint.
>>
>>80279751
Collectors are subhumans and should be ridiculed or ignored at all times.
>>
>>80280086
Not to mention they're killing industry because muh #1 and variants.
Get it in your head, Whor won't ever be worth 500 millions.
>>
>>80280086
Wait seriously? You hate comic book collectors??
>>
>>80280110
I don't anyone thinks Whor #1 will be worth anything, but Journey into Mystery #83 sure is. Do you not find any inherent coolness in owning an actual historic comic book?
>>
I don't see anything wrong with the system. If you don't value an aspect of it then you can just get a cheaper copy anyway. But yeah, if it's something like more than $500 I'd want at least a second copy in a reprint for actual reading purposes. I think the only old issue I'd want is Flash #123.

>>80280590
It's one of those forest/trees things. He's so mad at people who collect modern stuff that he can't appreciate the classics.
>>
I don't know one damn thing about the CGC nor do I care to. Having nice things is one thing, but once you start valuing things exclusively on rarity and how iconic it is, then you people have too much money. Or very little self-respect.

Anyway if CGC didn't exist something else will pop up in its place. Collectors live and breathe centralized standards.
>>
I don't like CGC, but I would do it only for golden age books to better preserve them.
>>
I think the CGC is useful as a grading standard. It helped give set guidelines even for unoffically, dealer graded books as a measure and reference. It helped close the gap between what one person saw as a 3.5(vg-) and another a 5.0(F)

I do think it gets stupid when people value a 9.8 at astronomically higher values then a 9.4 or 9.6 then it just sort of purely becomes about wealth and how much money you can throw at something with little regard to its content.
>>
I can understand the market for old 40's (maybe even early 50's comics as those are actually scarce.

But that being said its a niche market. The whole variant cover and special collectors editions of things is terrible. The collectors tend to be incredibly stuck up, and rude. To this day there are people that think that any comic can be valuable and pay for their retirement or whatever if thy just hang onto it long enough.

So I guess I am saying that I don't like the harm they have have done to the industry, but they are a part that can never be removed.
>>
>>80280086
>>80280110

Are you people just salty you're not doing anything useful enough with your life that would allow you the financial ability to purchase classic comic book issues?
>>
Makes me wonder if they have any flack when it comes to reprinting old comics.

Like would collectors protest a company trying to reprint old stories if they think it would drive down the value.
>>
>>80280957
I don't see how it would drive down the value. They would be clearly distinguishable from the original copies.
>>
>>80280883
I think a lot of the mentality that every comic will be valuable in 50 years has worn off, though no doubt there will probably be some unforeseen that do become valuable. We are seeing a lot of unexpected value increase with Bronze age and even Copper right now (NM 98 and BA 12 being $300 books in high grade)

But the actually scare books from the 40's and 50's (60's arent that rare but they do have a lot of demand scarcity) will likely reach incredible values even compared today as the ones in pooer shape are destroyed by time and only the best copies are able to stand the test of time. The CGC will help keep those preserved.
>>
>>80280919
I assure you, if I had money I would use it to fund pet projects and patronize creators I enjoy, not revel in the history of consumption.
>>
>>80280957
Yeah, its not like reprinting a Magic card. A reprint has no effect on original comics value. Most collectors like the reprints for accessibility and readability.
>>
As someone that has attended comic book conventions since I was a kid: Purist collectors are the biggest asshats of the hobby.

To them it isn't about reading the damn things, its all about money and status. Constantly encounter booths with comic book boxes full of unrare singles that are massively overpriced.

Most seem to not understand that people want to actually read these things, not just collect them.
>>
>>80280086
>>80280110
>I don't know how anything works so I'll fake-complain using buzzwords to fit on the board

I've never heard anyone claim Jane Foster as Thor was going to be worth something. The only way that's actually gonna happen is if they use that idea in a movie.
>>
>>80280957
In the past there were people upset over the idea of reprints in general, before CGC or anything like that was around. But I think people came to realize that you can easily read the book through the reprints and TPBs anyway.
>>
I have mixed thoughts:

They are great for 40s, 50s and even rare 60s comics and help keep those issues preserved and in the market.

However, the speculation that comes from the more modern day books is reaching really absurd levels. We literally had people sending all the Nu52 #1s in for grading. Those issues will never keep their value and are basically worthless with the newly announced Rebirth relaunch.
>>
>>80281089
A Golden Age book is an artifact of storytelling culture and a different era. Of WWII and the spirit of the time. It's hardly a symbol of consumerism.
>>
>>80280086
People who collect comics solely for profit should be shunned, people who collect comics merely for personal enjoyment should be treasured
>>
>>80281571
>In the past there were people upset over the idea of reprints in general, before CGC or anything like that was around.

God I remember the early 90s when this was common. Terrible time for reprints and it made it really hard to read some classic runs. LCS loved it because they could charge insane prices for valuable back issues.

The trade/reprint movement of the last decade and a half has been a real godsend for the industry.
>>
>>80281834
Here here
>>
>>80281782
I think the Batman #1 will retain its value, it's seemed to have cemented itself firmly enough. But the rest of then, yeah. Its hard to guess if any variants in general will retain value. I think the exceptionally popular covers, like Campbell will, 1:50 + have a greater cahnce through desirable cover art and somewhat actual rarity.
>>
>pick up floppy
>it's wrapped
>can't see what it's like inside
>drop it

This happens so much. I never got the point of it.
>>
>>80279751
It's only worthwhile for old comics.
>>
>>80281782
The only one that would retain its value is Snyder/Capullo Batman #1, maybe Suicide Squad #1 (it's the first time they included Harley on the Squad), maybe Justice League #1.

Everything else may not be worth sending in unless there's some 1 in a million chance some character or storyline introduced in those New 52 comics gets used in a film or TV show.
>>
>>80281834
Yeah, it's why I don't mind the CGC thing anymore since the trade paperback market is a lot stronger than it was in the 90's and digital is an additional plus.
>>
I like seeing the collecting side of comics talked about a bit. I don't know collecting seems so frowned upon here. Whats so bad about wanting the original issues over a reprint? Whenever I read a classic book its feels like a brief moment of experiencing that era, the feel and scent of the ink and newsprint. You dont get that experience with reprints.
>>
>>80282293
>Whenever I read a classic book its feels like a brief moment of experiencing that era, the feel and scent of the ink and newsprint. You dont get that experience with reprints.
I think the hate is towards the collectors who don't actually read what they have.

I'm reminded of that Franquin quote about how he prefers a book in bad shape because it was read again and again, rather than a clean one that was barely used.
>>
>>80282336
You can read a book many time and still respect its condition. I've always been pretty picky about condition, even as a kid/teen, getting a crease in the spin of a paperback bothered me to no end. Its just being careful about how you read something. Something that's falling apart doesn't necessarily show love, I think it show abuse and carelessness.
>>
>>80282472
Indeed. But that's not what we're discussing nor what Franquin said.
>>
>>80282518
>prefers a book in bad shape because it was read again and again, rather than a clean one that was barely used.

Kinda are, he's implying that a book in good shape can't possible be well loved and that a trashy book inherently is.
>>
>>80281829
People whose principal focus is to read comics should be treasured, people whose focus is collecting should be murdered.
>>
>>80282081
CGC cases are pretty obvious, how are you picking them up and then being surprised they are "wrapped" You're not getting pissy and basic bag&boards or mylar are you?
>>
>>80279751

A few number #1's of each comic that are released should be encapsulated like that just to preserve them. People doing anything other than just bagging and boarding ANAD Iron Man #1 deserve to be gassed
>>
>>80281058

The only thing that will give a current comic worth in the future is true rarity. shit that didn't get any reprints or even trades. Green Team will unironically be worth more than New 52 Action comics
>>
>>80283082

What if you collect comics so you can read them again? I only bag and board mine so my boy can read them when he's older
>>
>>80283425
Rarity doesn't always translate directly to value. There needs to also be demand. Silver Age keys are comparatively common to Golden Age but they have high demand that generates their value. It doesnt matter if there are only 300 copies of Green team that survive if there is no demand.
>>
It's a status thing of who has the biggest #!(&... uhmmm... I mean who has the best quality issue. It's something that is being pushed by super collectors who have tons of money to waste and those vendors who sees cash signs from these people
>>
>>80284511
To some degree I agree, but what doesn't really on some level of competitiveness? Are professional sports players not really players because they are paid ludicrous amounts of money for their spectacle? The best of something is always going to be valued more than the lesser and they are doing a lot to keep these issues preserved and existing for future generations to enjoy?
>>
What's going to happen when these dealers and the the collectors die off? It seems younger generations (like most of this board) are uninterested in attempting to collect vintage issues, are these books going to suddenly lose all value because of an uninterested population? Or do you think a small niche of collection focused individuals will always arise?
>>
>>80284738
>It seems younger generations (like most of this board) are uninterested in attempting to collect vintage issues

Most of us can't afford to collect most vintage issues. It's more of a rich person's hobby when you get into the really high levels. And there will always be a few rich people around to keep that going. Not like you need millions of them, just a few hundred would be enough.
>>
>>80284663

I would agree to your point but preservation for future generations sounds like it's a tag line to sale the idea. I've gone to well over 50 cons in the last decade and watched this creep in and become the "hot" ideas with the biggest price line. I attended Megacon ( Orlando, Fl con ) last year and seen a comic that came out not even two or three months prior being sold for 550 bucks and it wasn't a variant or a number 1 or anything collectible. The guy had 10 of them all graded in the high nines. I asked the guy why, he told me that someone will buy them like that and that he sold the other 10 the previous day.

As for the professional sports players, it's all about the money they generate for the team and who ever decides to pay those thugs to wear their crap. If I want to see a good game I'll go to a high school/college game of whatever. Better action for something that you don't have to mortgage the house to see one game for you and whoever else goes with you.
>>
>>80284953
-shurg- I've started a modest collection. I just save up so when I go to a con two or three times a year I can spend $3-500 on things. I guess its just what people want to prioritize (and no im not saying everyone should prioritize comics) But plenty of very cool Key Issue can be ahd for under a hundred in lower grades.
>>
>>80284983
What was the book? Edge of Spider Verse 2? The rare occasional modern catches that kind of fire but even their collectors frown on those kinds of buy. That is more salable to the unintelligent, wealth impulse buyer. I frequent the cgc forum and I can guarantee that they will suggest you invest that $500 in Gold or Silver age established character over the modern flavor of the month.
>>
>>80285126
it was Thor... 2 or 3. when they gave the hammer to jane foster
>>
>>80285305
I haven't seen any ebay sales on those reaching the number 9.8, that is, agreeably, ludicrous. But I think that abuse falls more on the individual dealer or the person stupid enough to buy at that price, not the existence of the CGC.
>>
>>80284738
If the characters are still being used far in the future from now then the key appearances will have people interested.
>>
I think it's also important to note that it isn't like any dealer is selling exclusively CGC books. Many people, even rich collectors still prefer encapsulated books, that is still the majority of stock of any comic book dealer. But I do think having those graded book as a point of reference to determine value on ungraded is very useful.
>>
>>80285469

^should have read prefer unencapsualted books
>>
>>80285469

One could easily remove the book from the shell and slip in a worse copy or even a reprint of the book. Reseal then sell and the person buying wouldn't be the wiser
>>
>>80285572
Its impossible to do that, the books are in a heat sealed shell you have to cut/crack them in a way that is impossible for the damage to be hidden.
>>
>>80285572
You could but it'll be pretty obvious that the seal is tampered.
>>
>>80282133
But if no one collects comics when they're new, they aren't around to be old
>>
if there is money in something that one who could easily scam another then the criminal element will find a way.

read this
http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6948
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.