[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else tired of "SOFT" reboots? who gives a fuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: DC_Rebirth.jpg (77 KB, 1024x689) Image search: [Google]
DC_Rebirth.jpg
77 KB, 1024x689
Anyone else tired of "SOFT" reboots? who gives a fuck about the garbage history. Movies and Cartoons get rebooted all the time, so why not comics? Marvel and DC both come off like pussies because they always have to find some stupid excuse like "it's not really a reboot, it's just the next chapter" or "it happened in an alternate universe that eventually gets reconnected with our 75 year history."

I say bring all the stories to a happy ending once every 10 years, and reboot every decade for a new generation of readers.
>>
>>79773399
That is a silly idea.
>>
>>79773475

why?
>>
10 years is too soon, 20 or 25 is good though. Let everyone get middle-aged, then start over instead of dealing with the awkwardness of a sliding timeline.
>>
>>79773507
Because the rich history is one of the best things about capeshit. It's why people are still so angry about the New 52. (Personally, I was fine with it, but it shouldn't be the kind of thing that happens too often.)
>>
>>79773507
If comics are rebooted every ten years, the same characters and concepts will have to be rebooted every ten years - and you wouldn't be able to just shove them all in at once, so you would have to spread them out. It would create an over-saturation of recycling the same stuff over and over and over again.
>>
>>79773507
Because you'd just have stories being rewritten every 10 years so certain ones can fit into continuity. We just need Earth One to actually be good and for the books to come out faster.
>>
Reboot's shouldn't even be a thing. Dick should've become Batman in the 90s instead of Nightwing and his Robin should've become Batman by now. Wally should've remained Flash with Bart now taking up the mantle. Even though everyone loves Ollie they shouldn't have brought him back and kept Conner and his side kick now taking the mantle. A new Lantern should've rose up eventually taking Kyle's place instead of bringing back Hal; hell we still had Guy as the Warrior so Kyle wasn't exactly the one solitary lantern.

If I was running DC this is how it would be. New mantle holders for every new generation. What's the point of legacy characters if you're not going to use them?
>>
>>79773677
And you would crash and burn the company into the ground.
>>
>>79773677
And that's how you single-handedly destroy the comic book industry!
>>
>>79773697
Bruce, Hal, Clark, Diana, Barry for all eternity disappearing or dying every once in awhile but always an eventual return to the status quo. To what end?
>>
>>79773768
To the end of that their still the most iconic versions of the character and getting rid of them would destroy what little good faith your returning readers have with you.
>>
>>79773768
So characterfags of their sidekicks could bitch for eternity.
>>
>>79773710
New mantle holders would keep things fresh. How many unique stories can you tell of one person? Stories are always being retold, restructured, recycled and paying homage to one another.

I heard the crime syndicate is coming back soon and we just had Forever Evil what? Two years ago?
>>
I just want well-told stories. Whatever editorial tricks you have to pull to make that happen is fine by me.
>>
>>79773552

Isn't 25 years worth of material pretty much already anon? why would you want it to be so "rich" to the point where it's also filled with tons of bad stories and so many that you can never experience them all.

>>79773576
Well the concepts would be different because you don't always have to remake the same thing. There could even be brand new characters that exist only within certain reboots.
>>
>>79773853
That's because stable status quo's and familiar characters sell comics.The occasional shakeups do to, but then you'll notice things always revert back to how they were 'by default'. It's the way the game is played, and it's the way comic companies make money.
>>
>>79773877
Brand new characters tend to sell like shit.
>>
>>79773812
>>79773838
Would it not be cool if you kid is reading Batman and he's just the biggest fanboy ever and you can sit him down "Son, let me tell you about MY Batman."

That's how I feel about Wally. I grew up reading him in the 90s with the white lenses. He's my Flash. I think it'd be cool for everyone to have that experience.
>>
File: tmnt-history_large_v2.jpg (3 MB, 1500x2079) Image search: [Google]
tmnt-history_large_v2.jpg
3 MB, 1500x2079
>>79773768

are people ever gonna get tired of leo, raph, mikey, and donatello?
>>
>>79773899
You say that, but we can't get rid of Harper Row.
>>
>>79773899

then they should find more talented creators. Ms. Marvel is new and magnificient.
>>
>>79773964
Where is Harper Row's comic book? I have never seen it on store shelves. It's almost like she's only ever featured in high-selling comics like Batman.
>>
>>79773964
Once Snyder and the Snyderlings are done with DC, his pet character will fall into irrelevance.
>>
>>79773942
How do you replace the turtles though? You can't exactly grow another batch. You're written into a corner there.
>>
>>79774039
I hope so.
>>
>>79774002
She is also heavily reliant on a previous characters' name/design and a media parade based around her background.
>>
>>79773916
That feeling doesn't sell books.
>>
>>79774090

I think Kamala Khan is good enough to not even rely on that previous name. I think Kamala with a different name and different symbol on her costume would've still been great.
>>
>>79774175
It may have been great, but would it have sold well had she had a new name and a new costume that was entirely original? I don't think she would've.
>>
>>79774047

>You can't exactly grow another batch

the tmnt universe is filled with mutated animals. what are you even saying?
>>
>>79774348
But it's Teenage Mutant Ninja "Turtles"
>>
I really, really hope Rebirth is just DC shuffling a lot of their amazing DCYou writes like Orlando, Valentine, Seeley, and King onto their bigger books and not anything stupid.
>>
>>79773576
>of recycling the same stuff over and over and over again.

That already happens, the fact that you don't notice it or refuse to acknowledge it is hilarious and speaks a lot about the american comic industry.
>>
>>79775240

Then grow more turtles like Slash and Venus.
Or little the Ninja Turtles have children and teach them to be the new generation of Ninja Turtles.
>>
>>79773677
>muh fanfiction
>>
>>79774090
>She is also heavily reliant on a previous characters' name/design

But that's the thing, she isn't! Other than the name she has NO relation to the previous character, whether it's origin, design, rogues' gallery, setting, theme, etc. They've actually fleshed her out into a decent character and that's why she sells but, say, Dr. Fate, doesn't sell.

Jesus, and to think I was against her when she was announced.

>and a media parade based around her background.

That is true.
>>
>>79775480
It happens to an extent, but not to the extent of having the same concepts/characters introduced every decade.

>>79775735
She has the same name and the same symbol on her chest.
>>
>>79775299
Based on current trends I think it will be unbelievably stupid. I've been meaning to buy a bunch of the reprints that have come out recently but I'm holding off until this new stupidity gets announced because if it's worse than the past two reboots then I'm done giving DC money for any reason.
>>
>>79773877
>why would you want it to be so "rich" to the point where it's also filled with tons of bad stories and so many that you can never experience them all.

And that's what the point of the "soft" reboot is.

You can change or get rid of everything you don't like while keeping the good.
>>
>>79775970
But everything else is different.
>>
>>79774173
Nobody says "I won't buy this Flash book if it has Barry, only Wally". They just buy it because it says "the Flash" on the top.

You people really overestimate how much people care about the identity of the character. Outside of Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man casuals don't care and fans are gonna buy it regardless.
>>
>>79775299
My guess is it's gonna be like Zero Hour or Infinite Crisis. It'll do things like fixing the backstories that got ruined by the New 52, restore fucked up characters like Wally and generally serve as a starting point.

Expect a lot of status quo, though. I'm like 95% sure there'll be a Titans book with the team from the upcoming animated movie, Suicide Squad characters will get shuffled around to be like the movie, probably new costumes, and so on.
>>
>>79775970
And? She has no actual relation to the character except being a fan. Who actually recognizes Ms. Marvel's "symbol" anyway?
>>
>>79775970
>It happens to an extent, but not to the extent of having the same concepts/characters introduced every decade.

Yes it does man.

>Azrael, Dickbats, black Azrael that was around for 5 minutes, rebooted Azrael, Bunny Batman.

It's just repackagings of the same concept, even the same character. They do it ALL the time.
>>
>>79776375
>>79776529
The claim was that she is a brand new character, but she's very much so derivative of another character - and of course, the whole 'fan' gimmick means she can have a ton of sales-boosting team ups.

>>79776569
>Yes it does man.
It really doesn't. When was the last time you saw a comic introduce, say, Venom? Or explained to you how a cosmic cube is formed? When was the last time you heard about Uncle Ben's death in detail? Comics today go under the assumption that you just generally 'know' some things. A reboot every ten years just leaves you constantly dragging out introductions to characters, ideas, concepts, etc.
>>
Look OP, you're wrong. Your ideas are idiotic. Now, this does make you a bad person with absolutely no value.

Other anons here have been trying to explain the reasons to you, but you're clearly not getting it. It might be time to consider suicide.
>>
>>79776816
Ten to one this is someone taking advantage of how easy it is to troll /co/
>>
>>79776675
>When was the last time you saw a comic introduce, say, Venom?

Anti-venom, a fuck ton of other Venom children, Flash Thompson Venom, loli-venom (who the fuck remembers her name?), etc

Dude, we can both cherry pick all day, of course there's bound to be originality somewhere, but american comics already rehash the same concepts 90% of the time.
>>
>>79773942
holy shit thanks for this. I didn't even know about next mutation or Forever.
>>
>>79776884
Either way, we can both agree that OP should consider suicide.
>>
>>79773399
>history is stupid

Fuck off Bendiscuck
>>
>>79773812
Comic book fans are going to bitch and moan anyways.
>>
>>79773399
Fans just want the same characters doing the same things but somehow developing as both a person and superhero, with no possible ending in sight. I don't get it either.
>>
>>79777320
Actually DC has already designed the perfect model for this, and it's the "Legacy Character"
>>
>>79777820

Too bad no one within the legacy ever gets old enough to pass away. It just seems like they take turns holding the mantle and crowding up the universe.
>>
>>79778069
That wasn't true in DC for a long time. you actually had all the silver age dudes as seniors for a while.
>>
>>79778267
As it should be. They need to retire.
Dickbats, white Wally, Ms. Martian, Donna Troy, Red Arrow, Power Ring, Conner, Garth

That should be the modern day Justice League
>>
>>79779190

honestly I'd be fine with pre-nu52 Wally retiring with Linda and Iris, Jai, and Bart being a team superheroing. Like what i understand Peter Parker was in Spider-girl
>>
>>79773399
new readers should just buy back issues and catch up to the rest of us.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.