[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your opinions on Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 4
What are your opinions on Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run?
>>
If you're Halfag, it's stellar.
If you're Johnfag, it's steaming pile of shit. It's probably opinion of Kylefags, as well.
>>
As a rookie, got me to start reading DC pre-nu52.
>>
>>79089435
You also might have issue with it if you're a Batfag, because Johns does not like Batman and it shows.
>>
>>79089497
Batfags bitch about everything, so...
>>
If you have no knowledge of old-school GL, it's great.
If you read it monthly as it came out, it's great.
If you felt personally betrayed by Jordan as Parallax, it's great.

If you've been a fan for a while, it's consistently paint-by-numbers above average, but it wouldn't be the sort of thing you go out of your way to read, if it weren't for DC making GL trades ultra-affordable at a time when most DC tpbs were either too expensive for the page count, or poorly collected. One could even argue that the success of GL tpbs (alongside Marvel's collection department truly stepping its game up) led DC to push impressive trade paperbacks.
>>
>>79089416
Sometimes less is more.
>>
it's nice but it created so much mythos that writers feel obliged to use so there's no room for ordinary space adventures and cosmic exploration anymore
although that could be fixed when they get some new writers on GL
>>
I can't seem to find any consensus among reading order lists as to where his run actually ends... As someone who is pretty new to GL, what exactly should my stopping point be for the run?
>>
>>79089416
It made me start shipping Hal and Sinestro
>>
While I will always say that The Flash is Johns best run, His GL run is right up there too. Loved the Sinestro War and Blackest Night, introduced the color spectrum of the Lanterns that is a pretty good damn idea of different colored Lanterns

Minuses for me were its fucking Hal. But hey Johns made him slightly interesting, Johns never missed an opportunity to hate on Batman and his run on GL went out with a whimper then a bang
>>
It's what got me into comics.
>>
>>79089435
>If you're Johnfag

They exist?
>>
>>79090078
They do and they're angry about everything.
>>
>>79089691
But his run literally has an end and an epilogue.
>>
>>79090120
I would be to if I was a fan of arguably the most boring character ever conceived.
>>
>>79089416
Rebirth is shit, bit the first part up until the end of sinestro corps is 10/10, after that it start to get weak. The colored lanterns are pretty much fan fic tier shit. Blackest night was crap.
>>
>>79089691
new 52 GL #20
>>
It's great. Johns made the Green Lantern THE book to read while his run was going on.

The Green Lantern line was at its strongest while Johns was in charge of it. Without him, the line is dying. Vendetti can't carry it.
>>
>>79090135
They really, really hate Hal. If you're speak against John, you're attacked for being racist. They hate every book where he isn't spotlight. Edge of Oblivion #1 is shit because Guy is there and Guy is evil meanie >:(
Pity I deleted screenshots of Johnfag going ballistic.
>>
>>79090135
BUT HE WAS A SOLDIER
MUH XANSHI
>>
I liked Emerald Twilight, what other old GL is worth reading?
>>
>>79090286
Did you read Final Night and Day of Judgement?
>>
>>79090192
>If you're speak against John, you're attacked for being racist

that has never happened.
>>
>>79090318
Final Night yeah, Day of Judgement no

Do I need other series before I read it?
>>
>>79090348
Well, it's kinda crossover, so if you fancy it, you may read other titles, but no, overall it's not needed. What matters is ending, Hal becoming Spectre.
You may read Spectre... volume 4, I think. And after that Green Lantern: Rebirth.
>>
>>79090286
Green Lantern/Green Arrow by Denny O'Neil.
>>
>>79090286
Alan Moore's tales of the GLC, Willworld.
>>
>>79089416
I loved it

SCW and Blackest Night were both great and I liked everything in between too, the first chunk of the book before SCW was fun earth stuff, then afterwards it switched to space and the rainbow corps, plus Secret Origin was very nice

Just pretty great all around until you get too the new 52 and those two weak ass crossovers happened

The final issue was pretty great though
>>
>>79089435
>It's probably opinion of Kylefags, as well.
He got a great GLC run out of it, what do those whiny fucks have to be mad about
>>
File: hals_greatest_hope.png (593 KB, 700x536) Image search: [Google]
hals_greatest_hope.png
593 KB, 700x536
>>79089695
As it should, my friend, as it should.
>>
>>79092267
B-bu-but Kyle wasn't the lead of the MAIN Green Lantern book! And he wasn't the ONLY Green Lantern! And Hal was around!
>>
>Just pretty great all around until you get too the new 52 and those two weak ass crossovers happened

Dammit, I hate when a really long story is great up until a weak ending.
>>
>>79093747
The ending wasn't really weak, it was the two last crossovers that lead up to it that were the weak link.
>>
>>79089435
If you're a johnfag then nobody really cares what you think.
>>
>>79093851
Most of them are so vitriolic towards anybody that isn't John they're not really worth listening to
>>
>>79090162
Fuck you, the rainbows were the best.
>>
Who had the better epic, Morrison's batman, or Johns' Green lantern?
>>
>>79095569
Too different.
Morrison's is about how things will never change.
Johns' was about how things will eventually end.
>>
>>79089980
>whimper than a bang
Nigga what? The end of GL 20 was fucking great.
>>
I loved it, but then again, it's what got me into comics. Still think the best part was the first issues with the Shark and the Manhunter though. Wish we had gotten more Hal earth stuff.
>>
>>79095714
>Shark and the Manhunter

If there's one thing Johns did wrong on GL is push aside all of Hals old villains for Spectrum wank. We saw Tattooed Man and Shark very briefly and that's it. I'm glad Venditti is bringing some of the classic back even if Sonar doesn't look regal as fuck.
>>
>>79095784
We also got Black Hand, Sinestro, Hammond and a Sonar cameo. BUt yeah, I would've loved to see his take on Polaris and Evil Star, plus more Jaws-esque underwater horror shit.
>>
>>79089435
I'm pretty apathetic about Hal but it's still great for Sinestro, Atrocitus, Saint Walker and Larfleeze alone.

Bonus is Tomasi's GLC with Guy/Kyle.
>>
>>79089497
I thought their conflict resolution was meaningful. Batman's constructs were really emotional.

I don't remember much more conflict between Batman and Hal after that.
>>
>>79095819
Black Hand might as well have been a new character the way Johns wrote him. How he took someone who made shitty puns and robbed banks and then turn around and make him a necrophiliac obsessed with death baffles me.
>>
>>79089416
I really liked it as it was coming out, but rereading it has been a struggle at times. Hasn't held up for me.
>>
>>79095668
Right? ALL WILL BE WELL when Mogo fights, Hal becoming Black Lantern, Sinestro controlling Parallax, Sinestro kill all Guardians except Ganteth and Sayd, "take a hike to your tomb, Nekron". It's fucking amazing.
>>
>>79095905
Yeah, Black Hand has definitely been Venditti's best achievement so far. He managed to blend the classic and the Johns version pretty well.
>>
>>79095905
>implying you can't be both
>>
He did a really good job of expanding the mythos
>>
>>79095905
And Sinestro used to be Evilest Guy in Universe until Johns started writing him.
>>
>>79095939
That circus issue was the perfect blend of classic and new Black Hand. Venditti should just stick with Earth-based stories as that's really been his strong points.

>>79095964
At least with Sinestro that was done over the entire run. Sinestro Corps War had him just as dickish as his old self but I guess Johns really liked writing him so he had him slowly going to an anti-hero more than just straight villain. Black Hand on the other hand was turned into the death obsessed person as far back as Secret Origin even though it really made no sense.

I guess it's just a case of "NOT MUH" and I shouldn't be so autistic about it.
>>
>>79089416
6/10 would read again. I skipped everything that happened after WotGLs. My head cannon is Hal getting kicked out of the Corps for killing a gaurdian and being an overall douchebag
>>
>>79096701
>same girl
How was the New52/3rd army stuff?
>>
>>79096701
But Hal did nothing wrong, anon.
>>
>>79095964
Not even. He was just a space asshole.
>>
>>79096741
First arc was good, crossovers were meh, ending was 10/10 wish I owned in floppy.
>>
>>79096701
Back to CBR, Dash.
>>
>>79096745
>Hal did everything wrong, anon
Ftfy
>>
>>79096818
Name a single thing he did wrong post-Parallax.
>>
>>79096853
He didn't stay with Cowgirl
>>
>>79096879
Come now, anon, we all know Hal's true love is Sinestro
>>
File: latest.png (261 KB, 368x340) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
261 KB, 368x340
>>79096806
Dash?
>>
>>79096781
Cool. I'll give it a read this afternoon. Will I be missing a lot if I skip the other books, Larfleeze, Red Lanterns, White Lantern Kyle and GLC? Or are they mostly filler?
>>
>>79096078
>Venditti should just stick with Earth-based stories as that's really been his strong points.
He's revamping Sonar right now

I don't really like his earth stories because they are even sadder than his space stories although the Black Hand circus was amazing
>>
>>79097035
Only the bits that crossover (12-19), although I don't know how necessary they are, cause I've never read it without them.
>>
>>79096879
That's a good point, Cowgirl was way better than Carol

>>79097035
They're all pretty filler, don't bother with the tie ins

Soule Red Lanterns, Larfleeze and Sinestro are all worth reading on their own though
>>
>>79097035
Nothing important. Larfleeze is independent and never crosses over but you should read it cause it's good.
>>
>>79097213
>>79097173
>>79097131
Thanks
>>
>>79089497
Or if you just like internal logic. A failed test pilot punching out a super ninja badass is just fail
>>
>>79097514
>failed test pilot

Hal only gets fired because he pushes the planes to the limit when testing them and punching out superior officers. He's a damn fine pilot
>>
>>79090135
More like Garrison voters. Replace, "Where my country gone", with "Where my Silver Age gone?".

Who is this Karl guy, I want Hal. Wally? Barry is the Flash. Cassandra Cain and Linda Danvers. Hell no, Kara and Barbara or else!
>>
Good up until Sinestro Corp War and then it becomes Johns trying to recapture that magic with increasingly diminishing returns
>>
>>79090348
Judgment is written by Geoff Johns back before he became GEOFF JOHNS. He was forced to accept Emerald Twilight and write Hal into being the Spectre. I imagine the pages are stained with his fanboy tears.
>>
i like his black hand a lot. don't see anything wrong with it
>>
>>79089416
Fuck Hal, that murdering piece po crap. Sinestro's revival was the best thing to come out of it.
>>
>>79097597
John was a bronze age character
>>
File: 1452182389679.gif (1 MB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
1452182389679.gif
1 MB, 355x200
>>79097726
But Sinestro was already revived in Spectre prior to Rebirth
>>
>>79095668
Yeah, after a year of Simon I'm not a terrorist Baz fucking around. You can stop reading at 12 and pick it up at 18 and miss nothing.

Some previously unknown entity has arrived fucking shit up. Now All the crayon lanterns have to show up and with the power of their specialness stop him/it from destroying the Universe or whatever.

Geoff proceeds to take one last lap, bitching about Giffen having Guy knocked out in JLI. Showing Hal to be the bestest ever. John gets a girlfriend and a political career because why the fuck not. And Kyle is there. Oh and Johns' new gary stu is foretold to be the next bestest Lantern ever. The End. Until Vendetti and Bunn retcon everything.
>>
>>79097777
Never mentioned John, I assume you mean John Stewart?
>>
>>79097883
johns gl is a lot like a shonen manga. power-ups, increasingly shit-will-never-be-the-same moments, villains that get more ridiculously powerful as time goes on, and a lengthy run. only thing its missing is a tournament arc
>>
>>79097911
Well you were responding to a post calling John the most boring lantern so yes I assumed you meant John Stewart
>>
>>79097941
What do you think War of the Green Lanterns was?
>>
>>79097941

>implying Blackest Night wasn't a tournament
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.