[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /co/ think of this movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 12
File: 91aWvKdUUZL._SL1500_.jpg (274 KB, 1065x1500) Image search: [Google]
91aWvKdUUZL._SL1500_.jpg
274 KB, 1065x1500
What does /co/ think of this movie?
>>
Better than its source material.
>>
>>79076394
It was too slow paced.
>>
>>79076394
Too many gays.
>>
The only animated musical that I can take seriously.
>>
>>79076394
Best 2D dreamworks
>>
File: facepsalms.jpg (70 KB, 408x431) Image search: [Google]
facepsalms.jpg
70 KB, 408x431
>>79076412
>>
>>79076549
Well it was
>>
>>79076394
nice
>>
>>79076592

The original Exodus and this movie are written to two completely different audience and intended for two completely different purposes.

It's comparing apples to oranges.
>>
>>79076394
/co/ loves it. I like how on the plagues song, they position Moses and Pharoah like it's in a play. The scene reminds me a lot of the plays I watched in the church when I was a kid.

https://youtu.be/Rp5VsqVOu5s?t=225
>>
It was great. Relationship between the brothers was great, animation was great, music was great (thought the song between the two Egyptian advisers and they're magic felt it belonged in a less serous film). it was an overall amazing movie that managed to do a lot and convey many emotions and adult themes with only a PG rating.

Now this is the part of the thread were everyone discusses whether the older brother did anything wrong or is God just a dick.
>>
>>79076654
I just don't understand why God couldn't just let the pharoah let them go without all the plagues, damn it.
>>
>>79076394
It was great. Didn't try to preach to you, just presented the story.
>>
>>79076729

Long explanation short, God wanted to make an example of the Pharaoh because he done fucked up hard by mistreating His chosen people.

To make all the other nations look at the Israelites and go "wow their God is some serious shit, we'd better not fuck with them!"
>>
File: hideo.jpg (43 KB, 597x960) Image search: [Google]
hideo.jpg
43 KB, 597x960
>>79076806
>tfw god stopped being a badass in the sequel

fucking new testament, and don't even get me started on that fanfiction called Apocrypha
>>
>>79076806

>God has to break Pharaohs Free Will and massacre millions to prove a point

>Can't just put on a big light show over every city on Earth to explain that he's the one true God and that everyone should worship him.
>>
>>79076511
Prince of Egypt isn't bad, but you're mistaken on which is the best 2D Dreamworks, friend.
>>
>this scene
>that reprise

Fuck, it always wrecks me.
>>
>>79076875
He didn't break Pharaoh's free will. The choice to free the slaves was always his own. His refusal each time is what caused them to get progressively worse.
>>
It's a good musical.
>>
File: hrng.png (89 KB, 337x186) Image search: [Google]
hrng.png
89 KB, 337x186
>>79076887
>Filename
Who would do this
>>
>>79076993
>inb4 "God hardened Pharaoh's heart"

>>79076874

You're using "Apocrypha" wrong. What you're referring to are the Deuterocanonical books. And they can get pretty hardcore at times too. Seriously, read Maccabees.
>>
>>79076806
>to make all other nations look at the Israelites and go "wow their God is some serious shit, we'd better not fuck with them!"

That didnt last very long.
>>
>>79077169

Well yeah, if there's one running theme in the OT, it's "God tries to do cool shit to win over the Israelites and give them a path to come back to Him and His covenants, and everyone just keeps fucking it up."

Nothing EVER goes right for the Israelites for long.
>>
>>79077196
>Nothing EVER goes right for the Israelites for long.

That's more or less the entire history of the Jews summed up in a sentence.
>>
>>79077091
eh, shades of gray

>>79076993
and yeah. it's pretty obvious by how it went. If god had been breaking his free will, supernaturally bullying him into submission.. he would've submitted after the third one. instead he forced him to stick to his guns and wouldnt let him back out out of fear, only out of genuine remorse

and EVEN THEN the fucker still 180s later of his own accord.
>>
>>79077169
>>79077300
exactly. yet, consistently, it goes conspicuously-better-than-it-should-have-without-supernatural-assistance. they remained this tiny nation that should have been utterly pwned at every turn (and indeed he purposely didnt let them grow too mighty, and when they did he told most of the army to take the day off) just so it was clear something was going on. Not enough to PROVE god, enough to hint at him.. which is how that magnificent fucker rolls.
every so often his own people get so rebellious he has to let them get temp-pwned so he can bring them back later when they repent. Last one took so long america got impatient and just sent them back ourselves. because america, dammit.
>>
>>79077041
Disney Screencaps has caps for a shit ton of Non-Disney movies, dummy.
>>
>>79077533
They should change their name is all
>>
>>79077530
This is why I believe the Jews will be the last homogenous culture standing, they've spent too long eeking out a living among others, and they'll never give ground to any of this multicultural kumbaya bullshit.

Aside from *maybe* the Irish, the Jews are the last people to start saying diversity is their strength, most of their politicians demand an exclusively Jewish state, compare this with England, Germany and the USA, where quite a few of their politicians have pretty much lost the will to live, and would seem pretty indifferent to their nation transforming into something else entirely.

>inb4 /pol/ shill
>A /pol/acks ever complementing a jew
>>
>>79076886
>worse songs
>worse plot
>worse villains
>anti-climactic ending
>slightly better jokes
>better central bromance

Strongly disagree.
>>
>>79077530
They did get their ass kicked repeatedly though. Half if them got conquered by the Assyrians and the other half got conquered by the Babylonians who trashed their most sacred monument and exiled most of them. The only reason they returned was because the Persians were feeling generous. After that they got conquered by Alexander the Great, then the Romans, and finally got their most holy monument destroyed and their asses exiled again after failing to revolt.

On the other hand none of those empires are around anymore while the Jews are still here, so you might have a point.
>>
I liked getting the little stuffed camel when you bought the VHS.

The movie was pretty good too.
>>
>>79076806
>To make all the other nations look at the Israelites and go "wow their God is some serious shit, we'd better not fuck with them!"

Didn't their God, and subsequently what evolved into the God that Christians and Catholics and shit now worship, come from what was essentially a war God?
>>
>>79076758
>Didn't try to preach to you, just presented the story.

I just watched this movie for the first time last year and I have to agree.

the Hebrews' God wasn't depicted as someone to love and to cherish, but more like a karmic force of nature to be obeyed and respected.
>>
Beautiful movie.

The first song always makes me tear up.
>>
>>79076638
its pretty balsy of them to give God a villain song
>>
>>79079643

Think of it more like our understanding of God evolved as his revelation unfolded, rather than God himself changing over time. As Israel grew and developed, the relationship between nations and their patron gods in general changed, and so did the relationship between Israel and God. In Christian tradition, much of the OT prefigures and prophesizes the final covenant between God and his people that Jesus would establish, and each iteration before it (most Biblical scholars count seven, with the different patriarchs and periods in Jewish history coming before) providing a foretaste or preview of what was to come eventually.
>>
>>79078169
Not to mention many historians think that the wealth and power of the Kingdom of David is misrepresented in the bible, since all other historical evidence points to it being barely a regional power. Were it not for the success of their faith, the Israelite's would be little more then a footnote to history.

Catholics probably added that stuff in to add legitimacy to their new faith.
>>
>>79080708
According to most descriptions the Second Temple was awe inspiring even by today's standards. Even foreigners admitted it was one of the most majestic places they had ever seen.
>>
I love how /co/ can have these civil discussions about these things. we don't all agree, but I think we can all agree that we're clearly calmer and smarter and more rational than quickering bigglers we hear throwing poopoo at each other elsewhere.
>>
>>79077530
One thing that's consistent throughout history is that bad things happen to the Hebrews/Jews, but worse things happen to people who attack them.
>>
>>79083671
/pol/'s day will come.
Mark my words.
>>
>>79080708
Context. Context. Context.

Of course modern historians will say it is misrepresented. And by today's standards it absolutely is. But what my professor (who isn't catholic) told me is that back then things were valued and portrayed differently. So whenever you read the Bible you must understand the context first. I mean why would anyone want a bunch of apes at your disposal (1 Kings 10:22).

>Catholics probably added that stuff in to add legitimacy to their new faith.
Couldn't have been man. Modern text is derived/sourced from the Dead Sea Scrolls written way before Catholics even existed. Unless you ARE reading the Catholic Bible and Apocrypha in which case there is a lot of incorrectly sourced material in there. Hence why the dark ages were so.... dark?
>>
>>79080555
Best comment I have seen all day. And this is coming from a PK.
>>
File: pope.jpg (77 KB, 569x644) Image search: [Google]
pope.jpg
77 KB, 569x644
>>79076638
>Pharaoh refuses to negotiate with the terrorist leader
>>
Moses was the greatest sinner in the Bible.
He broke all 10 commandments at once.
>>
File: 1329099341904.jpg (41 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1329099341904.jpg
41 KB, 576x432
There was one scene that always got me. When the last plague came and killed Rameses' son. Moses walked up to him and Rhameses was like "Just...take your people and go." Then afterwards Moses goes into another room and breaks down. Every fucking time.
>>
File: 1430562933613.jpg (36 KB, 604x397) Image search: [Google]
1430562933613.jpg
36 KB, 604x397
>>79084067
Agreed. That was a great scene. This movie was incredible at portraying an emotional perspective of the Biblical story. As a kid, when reading it in the Bible I pictured it saying something like: "Moses told Pharaoh do this. Pharaoh said no." I mean where was the brotherly remorse? Tore my heart apart when that kid died. Especially since my pa was watching it with me in the theater all those years ago.
>>
File: 1343773646053.png (24 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
1343773646053.png
24 KB, 280x210
>>79084045
False!
I do declare that the greatest sinner(s) were the teenagers who made fun of Elisha for being bald. For goodness sake, God let a bear kill them for that!

Must've been some mighty great sin to call a man bald ha ha.
>>
A great biblical movie that doesn't beat you over the head with religion.
>>
>>79077978
Road to El dorado is one of the best Dreamworks movies ever made, next to how to Train your dragon. You posted 4 hours ago and I'm probably just wasting my time but believe me when I say that El dorado is pretty much the pinnacle of animation and one of the best Dreamworks movies to come out in the 2000's, yeah, it even beats out Shrek.
>>
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 1000x1000
It wasn't much, was it? I hate how it takes place in 1200 and not in 1550 B.C.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_by_century_of_setting
>>
>>79076886
You who I called brother
>>
File: life.png (245 KB, 676x539) Image search: [Google]
life.png
245 KB, 676x539
>>79076806
>>79076874
>>79076993
>>79077091
>>79077196
>>79077473
>>79077530
>>79080643

>mfw I will never go into the Holy of Holies, look upon the seat of mercy, and see God for myself

Temple reconstruction when
>>
>>79080555
I think, in terms of the plague, it's the only song you can give a scene like this, especially when it climaxes with the indiscriminant killing of every firstborn child, human or animal, royalty or slaves.

Regardless, great scene.
>>
>>79084240
For all you know they did something else that wasn't written. The bible never said Jesus had breakfast but we all know he did.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.