[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, on the topic of the "up coming" Wonder Woman movie,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
So, on the topic of the "up coming" Wonder Woman movie, what can we realistically expect?

Will we be showered with Gal Gaddot pretending to be Katniss?

Will we see the Catwoman/Elektra "damaged but powerful" tilt?

Will we see what amounts to a Lifetime Movie Network script like "he beat me, raped me, beat my children, gave me cancer, and left the toilet seat up" where everything is the penis' fault?

Or is there the possbility that her vagina and tits won't be a major driving force in the film?
>>
She'll be a bigger Mary Sue than Rey.

You can't let your female protagonists have flaws, struggles or a personality, that's misogynist.
>>
>>79046381
>what can we realistically expect?

A sequel, no matter what.
Regardless of how poorly it's made or performs.
>>
>>79046381
it's going to have stupid writing like every other WW title ever

not even talking about fucking politics shit, it's just that there's two or three writers who ever made the character make any sense. also DCCU is just kind of weak and uninspired in general.
>>
>>79046488
I just finished watching the Hunger Games.. uh.. thing. Hence is why I used that Jennifer Lawrence shoop.

One thing became very clear to me watching the very last one, Katniss has no personality. The same appeared to be the case with Rey, as you stated when I watched Star Wars I felt like Rey was invisible, another prop.

Katniss' driving force, stopped making sense after the first Hunger Games. It kept spinning further and further out of control as the movies progressed, to the point where her killing Coin, or whatever the lady President's name was, made next to no sense. At the last possible minute, the whole plot does a handstand, and the viewer is supposed to accept that everyone but Katniss, and black lady soldier are evil.

Rey's motivation isn't even clearly defined, there's a vague memory scene, and then the audience is supposed to assume that she was left on this desolate junker's paradise because reasons.. ANNND we're supposed to accept that she survived.. In a desert.. Where hard labor is the only way to get food..

Are we going to get the same kind of attitude with Wondy?
"I fight because the script says I do."
>>
File: chris-pine.jpg (38 KB, 326x337) Image search: [Google]
chris-pine.jpg
38 KB, 326x337
>The simple fact of the matter is it's about a woman who's so strong with such physical ability that she could kick such ass but really at the end of the day leads with an incredible amount of compassion and love and hope for humanity and I think we need a lot of that right now.

http://www.eonline.com/news/731718/chris-pine-can-t-say-if-lynda-carter-will-be-in-the-wonder-woman-movie
>>
>>79047043
Right, so it's going to be awful.

Fan-fucking-tastic..
>>
>>79046381
>Will we be showered with Gal Gaddot pretending to be Katniss?

Katniss was fucked up, weak and spends most of the books and movies either crying or confused. I don't understand what you are saying.
>>
>>79047068
>describes Wonder Woman as she generally is and how her fanbase prefers
>it's going to be awful

please explain
>>
>>79047097

Op is a retard i guess.
>>
File: 0097-1273300782850.png (199 KB, 461x336) Image search: [Google]
0097-1273300782850.png
199 KB, 461x336
>>79047068
>>
>>79046381
It will be another case of a pretty woman who for some reason never gets involved enough with a man to have sex/children because that would be inconvenient to the marketing strategy.

The board room discussion probably went something like: She can't have sex/children/husband or multiple exes because she is supposed to be "everyone's" girlfriend. Then they all dream about her and buy more merchandise.

Never mind that an actual super woman would probably have a string of shitty relationships and multiple children from multiple fathers because normal people don't get along with super people in the long run. (You're never home. You don't feel pain like we do. You don't take good care of us. Or you crowd us too much. Leave us alone already. Go fly away somewhere.) Super people would still want sex and children in all but the most extreme abuse cases.
>>
>>79047397
Are you alright?
>>
>>79047397
>It will be another case of a pretty woman who for some reason never gets involved enough with a man to have sex/children because that would be inconvenient to the marketing strategy.

Op, do you understand that the hunger games end up with the protagonist having like 4 children
>>
Expecting weird monster shit mostly. Kind of want this to do well because Im curious to see how they would do Cheetah or Giganta
>>
File: 1451381272890.jpg (69 KB, 641x600) Image search: [Google]
1451381272890.jpg
69 KB, 641x600
>>79046381
I'm pretty drunk rn desu senpai but lemme take a crack at it.
>Quick animated opening covering the jist of the origins; land of amazons hidden by gods, cant have kids, queenie make a wish to athena Wondy is born
>Fast forward to Wondy as young women, having a fight with a Minotaur or other amazons. She wins handily and gets the mission to act as the gods champ on earth
>surprise 2nd act plot twist, its actually a WW and Aquaman movie; lots of bantz and general mythos cocksucking
>Big bad is the king of the molten people from that one timeline who's gonna blow up da earf
>Aqua saves the city, wondy beats the baddie
>Superman arrives
>post credit stinger is a blurry shot of Abin Sur crashing & air force jets scrambling
>>
>>79047660
You are wrong from the start. She's going to be Zeus' daughter.
>>
>>79047576
Forget it. It will certainly be mostly militar.
>>
>>79047493
Sacrificing realism for the sake of money is a time honored tradition in mass market storytelling.

I'm posting on 4chan. That pretty much disqualifies me for being alright I think.

>>79047543
Mass media does show some realism but too little for my taste.

If people have super powers, the world is not ho hum about it. If super people are dangerous, normal people do a much better job of killing supers who are vulnerable to standard weapons.

A handful of mass media products offer this. Most don't. It hurts the profit in most cases to show too much realism. It also annoys bitter weirdo's like myself who are not economically relevant.

So I rant on message boards about it and feel a little bit better.
>>
>>79047576
>Expecting weird monster shit mostly.

See I'm thinking like...Trolls or a Cyclops at most. Something that has the opportunity to remind you of some moves she used on Doomsday and the audience will be like
>OOOOOOOO, that's when she learned that move.
It's weird because on, maybe principle or interest in Wonder Woman, I want this to succeed, I want to be surprised but Just no news that I hear about it excites me. Most of it all the way back to casting I kind of hate, I do like the World War I setting though but even that I'm worried that it will be really close in theme to the first Captain America movie BUT I'm hopeful they push more a woman around soldiers and like incites to female roles in the war. And then there's this dick cynical side that just wants it to fail out right because they put so much money into it and it's kind of important that it does well so the one female member of the Justice League,part of the Trinity isn't on some background filler Cyborg/Aquaman level when the movie starts. Like watching the Fantastic Four flop gave me this little thrill and how they scramble to salvage it and start blaming people out of nowhere.

I really would like to see a Giganta fight though.
>>
>>79047097
OP here, I didn't post that, but I agree that it will be terrible because of that.

Let me ask you, what do you care more about, a woman who leads, or a woman who conquers?

Movies continually drive us in a certain direction, a woman who leads has devious intent, President Coin was a prime example of that mentality.

A woman who conquers, cannot be a leader, Katniss proved that. She didn't lead, she just spent her time doing what she was told, until the story required her to go against the grain of the society she's living in, only to turn on her heel and go back to being told what to do. At every turn, nothing Katniss did of her own choosing lead to anything successful happening. Quite the opposite in most cases.

I use the Hunger Games as a point of reference because it's very likely that Wonder Woman (the movie) will follow this formula given how successful the Hunger Games movies have been, and that out of all the recent movies to come out, it's really the only story that presents a female in an active combat role, and focuses on her journey doing so. (Black Widow is just kind of there, in the Avengers movies. Her motivations are "because it's what I do" and that's pretty much it.)

I would want a Wonder Woman that had pants, and I quite like the story of Hippolyta carving Diana out of marble and breathing life into her, not for the "I ain't needin' no man fo' nuthin'" angle, but the fruition of the belief in being your own person, entirely separate from those that created you.

Instead, we'll get a story that hamfists some Tumblr-esque feminism where Zeus, her daddy, doesn't think she's "tuff uh-nuff" and she has to prove that her vagina and tits don't make her weak. Which is entirely irrelevant to the fabric of an inspirational hero, male or female.

Superman's penis doesn't determine the validity of his mission, just the same as Batman's nuts don't determine the inner strength he draws on to persevere.
>>
>>79048066
I think you're obsessed with Hunger Games. Seek Help.

Also
>I would want a Wonder Woman that had pants

Seek additional help
>>
>>79048066
What does any of that have to do with having compassion and hope in humanity? Holy shit. I feel like I'm being meme'd.
>>
>>79046381
I hope they take a lot of inspiration from the animated movie.
>>
>>79048066
>Batman's nuts don't determine the inner strength he draws on to persevere.

Batman IS NUTS, that totally defines him as a character and gives him the strength to do what he does. See what I did there

I think there are a few movies with female action leads that don't fall into those tropes. And it's weird to me that they are never that popular among women. I don't know if it's a Not marketed enough towards women thing or they just really aren't popular. But as Strong Female protagonists go in the last few years Hanna and Cataleya (Colombiana) are great examples of women free of any pressure in the movie to be anything other than people doing their mission and for the most part or any part really free of defining themselves as "women in a mans world" but clearly having an obvious female presence not only in the performance but just the story as well.
>>
>>79048119
Hi, there's a singular movie series that presents a female protagonist in combat.
>Fuck that noise, that's has nothing to do with anything at all ever.

I think pants make sense in combat.
>Are you fucking stupid? All the armies on Earth wear short shorts. Fucking pleb.

Am I in a Shamalan movie?

>>79048160
Because that's not something you can effectively introduce in a single feature length movie. Every movie about Jesus has tried that, and people mock those films for being preachy and heavy handed. Thus, unless someone turns to the camera Deadpool style, and says "Gee, she sure does have a lot of compassion and hope for humanity" it's going to be mighty difficult to get that that effect.

Captain America: The First Avenger accomplished it by giving Steve a martyr complex. (Jumping on the fake grenade is the quickest example.)

You cannot copy+paste that some mentality onto Wonder Woman because flies in the face of what is commonly understood to be Greek Myth. Each Greek hero is his own one man army, unstoppable, and unrelenting. An audience won't accept Wonder Woman, being the product of Greek mythology, sacrificing herself, it totally flies in the face of what "casuals" understand Wonder Woman to be.

In every popular instance, JL/JLU, Darksied War, etc. etc. Wonder Woman flies head first into conflict. There's no compassion, or love of humanity in popular depictions of the character, just braun and might makes right. DCCU cannot override that by redefining the western understanding of Greek myth to facilitate a Captain America style sense of right and wrong.

But please, feel free to call me a faggot.
>>
>>79046381
>Will we see what amounts to a Lifetime Movie Network script like "he beat me, raped me, beat my children, gave me cancer, and left the toilet seat up" where everything is the penis' fault?
don't male protagonists have the same predicament?
>>
>>79046488
How is Rey a Mary Sue?
I mean, in the same franchise where Anakin is the Chosen One from a virgin birth conceived by FORCE ITSELF, only human who could pod race, and wins a major battle by destroying a ship at 8 years old?
I'm curious, what was that thing that Rey did that qualifies her as Mary Sue.
>>
I just hope they go all out with the greek mythology and also make the gods and creatures and magic fit well into this universe because eventually Darkseid is coming right and they are essentially related so anything they would do with Darkseid should be done with Zeus. Dont beat around the bush
>>
>>79046690
Katniss had a personality, it's just that after the second film she became completely unimportant since Coin and Plutarch were making all the big decisions and she was just numbly nodding along to everything they said because she was out of her depth
>>
>>79048874
That's retarded, Anakin suffers, loses his family and gets fucked up majorly because he failed to change what he set out to change. Rey just coasts along through the whole movie, never in any real danger, constantly pulling new skills out of her ass as and when needed. You never worry about her.

Meanwhile, Anakin gets a lava bath and has to be placed in a robot suit to survive.
>>
>>79048408
YOU WANNA GET NUTS? COME ON! LET'S GET NUTS
>>
>>79048569
>I think pants make sense in combat.
>Are you fucking stupid? All the armies on Earth wear short shorts. Fucking pleb.

She lives on an ancient greek society. People fought in skirts that time.
>>
File: 1432936115254.png (69 KB, 261x457) Image search: [Google]
1432936115254.png
69 KB, 261x457
>>79046381
>its a Diana Price movie
>>
>>79047397
Go masturbate to a Wondy thread on /aco/, Veronica Cale.
>>
>>79048874
anakin was whiney, arrogant, angry,and half the time doesnt know what hes doing.
>>
>>79049969
>I'm op
>I think Katniss is comparable to wonderwoman as a character because they're both leading female action heroes
>I also don't know that Greeks wore skirts in battle, I want pants on my wondy
My name is OP and I have the shitiest taste on this board at the moment.
>>
>>79050562
I pay attention to how plots are constructed, and the constant back and forth between what American audiences expect out of their female action stars. Thus far, Black Widow is the only adult action heroine (in a feature length movie) to be taken seriously, and she is neither an important character, nor a well defined character. Simply a pandering compilation of 'fuk yeh gurrl powrr!11' and "I'm interesting because I'm damaaaged."

Katniss, is a character that is defined as a hunter who is fancy with a bow, before being thrust into deadly combat to protect her kid sister. Fuck the books, this is what was on screen, and produced enough revenue to justify a series of four movies.

Wonder Woman in popular media is characterized as a warrior with no personality beyond "I'm with you sister." and "I'm the best at the hacking and the slashing."

DCCU's Wonder Woman will be built around what was deemed successful with Katniss, which is a one-size-fits-all mask that women can imagine themselves as. She is basic, limited, and ill-defined beyond her capability to survive against other humans trying to kill her, to further the notion that she is "any girl".

The DCCU has gone out of their way to make super heroes "believable", MCU started it with crafting a Universe where their heroes are held to a certain level of realism in order to make the audience feel as though what they are watching is possible. If we were going for factual, as you seem to be hung up on with the skirt thing, Captain America should've called Nick Fury an "uppity negro", Thor shouldn't speak English, Tony should be dead after his guts being liquified from the inertia he experiences in the Ironman suit.

In the DCCU the Kryptonians shouldn't speak English, and Lois should be dead having had her bare flesh exposed to their atmosphere.
Giving Wonder Woman pants is the least "inaccurate" thing they could, or will do with Wondy. She shouldn't speak English either.
>>
>>79050562
>>79051334
See how dumb you look now?
>>
>>79051334
So NOT being "realist" is now an argument to defend pants? We've come full circle.
>>
>>79050377
And yet he still banged Padame and everyone liked him, that's a mary sue
>>
>>79052674
>everyone liked him
obi wan sure didnt look it and not the audience
>banged Padame
cmon that was pity sex. look how much of a fedora he was being. in the end it was a shotgun marriage and she died because of him
>>
>>79051334
>Thus far, Black Widow is the only adult action heroine (in a feature length movie) to be taken seriously

what about

>ripley
>princess leia
>the bride in kill bill
>sarah connor
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.