[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm almost afraid to ask but...did this age well?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 14
I'm almost afraid to ask but...did this age well?
>>
>>79044756
Yeah, dude.
>>
>>79044756
Early seasons probably. Later seasons probably not
>>
Yup. Everything up until the reboot is really solid and holds up as well as classic simpsons does.

Post reboot has it's moments too.
>>
>>79044756
everything after benders big score is downhill. it lost alot of its charm and feel, it also went way more into reference humor witch is a fast way to date your show
>>
Could they not see that Leela's rejection to Fry was becoming increasingly less believable the more he stuck his neck out for her or all the nice things he did?

By the time she was starting to be receptive I got the sense she didn't deserve him and that Fry is a super-doormat.
>>
>>79044756
oh my no.
>>
>>79044756
Some of the advanced, future technology in the earlier episodes already exists in sleeker form but other than that the writing is still top notch.
>>
>>79044812

.. they rebooted it?
>>
>>79044970
He means revived, not reboot.

Like what Family Guy did (proceeded by violent sucking).
>>
>>79044756
nah, but maybe it's just me. I now hate geek-jokes.

I call it post-Bazinga syndrome.
>>
It ending as soon as it did has at least guaranteed it being looked back on more fondly than Simpsons will ever hope to be when it finally ends in 2050.
>>
>>79044878

It is a shame, given Fry and Amy had a pretty cute relationship, even if it was mostly just awesome sex.
>>
Futurama should've had a futuristic theme tune to make it more exciting and to fit the theme. Something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEn-E4DylAA
>>
How come post-revival Futurama isn't as shit on as nearly as much as post-revival Family Guy is?
>>
>>79045136
It died quickly.
>>
>>79045136
Because it's not still airing new episodes
Also it has continuity, sometimes
>>
>>79045136
Dumb tripfag
>>
>>79045136
Because it had more to its core to hold it together.
>>
>>79045136
Because
>it wasn't nearly as bad as post-revival FG
>it had the decency to end after a while
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-01-16-16h34m00s257.png (144 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-01-16-16h34m00s257.png
144 KB, 512x384
>>79045110
They're on the same intellectual level, which made it work.

>It's working! They think we're making out!
>(Restrained giggling)
>Wait... why aren't we making out?
>I dunno.

Nothing Leela and Fry did ever seemed half as natural. It was one of those forced hollywood romances, where they're together because that's what the script demands.
>>
>>79045397
Amy was PHD student and was able to give a fairy intelligent presentation before starting to sneeze because of that guy's cat.
>>
>>79045488
She was 'booksmart' but she wasn't very 'streetsmart'. Or in non-bullshit terms she was smart for as long as the plot demanded it and retarded at all other times.
>>
>>79045136
It wasn't nearly as bad as Family Guy's plummet. It's biggest crimes were some pretty weak plots and making either exaggerating character traits or flat out making characters act out of character for the sake of plot convenience. But they still managed to carry some decent jokes as well as a couple episodes on par with the pre-CC stuff. It wasn't great, but it wasn't offensively bad.
>>
There are some episodes that are kind of odd going back to them, particularly some of the early episodes.
>>
Some of the Comedy Central episodes were immediately dated since they tried making references to pop culture of our time. Like the Fox episodes did this sometimes, but it was typically self aware, made it a parody of something current, or referenced it in a way that made it so it wasn't dated. the CC episodes just straight up made random-ass Kardashian jokes and iPhone jokes.
>>
>>79044970
They brought it back many times, child.
>>
I've never finished the series. I got as far as Season 8, I think, but never caught back up.
>>
>>79045536

Fry's hardly street-smart, though. He's got some "skills", but most of the time he's just lucky or his reverse-retard brain manages to save him.
>>
>>79045566

Pretty much this. Beyond the dated jokes and the meme references, the show still had much of the heart it possessed prior to the first major cancelation. "The Late Phillip Jay Fry" was amazing.

Granted, the series finale (or season, if they really do try to revive it yet again) could have been a little stronger, but was far from the worst ending seen for a show.
>>
>>79045911
grats
>>
>>79046198
Um, fuck off?
>>
>>79046081
Exactly, they're both street-stupid, which is why they fit well together.
>>
>>79044793
The later seasons of the reboot were better

The earlier ones had shit like "robot and human marriage" or whatever that delved too close to stuff happening in the real world, which is never good for a show.
>>
File: 1438494998565.jpg (90 KB, 500x265) Image search: [Google]
1438494998565.jpg
90 KB, 500x265
Eh, I've come to the conclusion that Futurama gets the praise it receives by simply being slightly above average with a high percentage of good episodes to bad ones. Like, I can't name many bad episodes, but I can name even fewer golden-age Simpsons or King of the Hill tier episodes.

Honestly I feel if Futurama pulled a Simpsons and had an absolutely abysmal second half, /co/ would never talk about it.
>>
>>79044878
But that's how relationships work in real life. If someone isn't attracted to you, there's no magic formula to "impress" them so that they'll want you.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (101 KB, 500x314) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
101 KB, 500x314
>>79046468
Most of the Comedy Central episodes were garbage.
>>
File: 1449742842492.jpg (46 KB, 331x475) Image search: [Google]
1449742842492.jpg
46 KB, 331x475
Maybe I have shit taste, but I honestly think the only good season of Futurama was the first (and maybe second) one(s).

I liked when Fry was an "everyman" of mediocre intelligence who had a semi-cool attitude, rather than being a silly retard. I liked Leela much better when she was tough, stern, asskicking, and waifuable, rather than increasingly a ditz. I also liked the humor better when it was more deadpan and "sitcommy".

Season 1 was about an everyman exploring a crazy future and was permeated by a sense of awe and alienation. Unfortunately, it very quickly transformed into a show about a colossal idiot doing comically stupid things in a mundane world that is exactly like the present day except with random sci-fi references. So instead of neat gags about future society, like the suicide booths or the moon being a tourist trap, you just have endless "Fry is an idiot" and "Bender is amazing" jokes.

The seasons after this started to feel more forced and childish in their humor, more - dare I say - "Reddit"-type humor. The parts in s3-4 where, say, zoidberg gets a gun; the Professor randomly gets naked; or General pac-man dies and his wife comforts him - to me, that's lolrandom humor, or Reddit/meme humor.
>>
>>79046550
It gets praise because it's funny
>>
>>79046637
I don't really like pasta to tell you the truth
>>
>>79046550

I disagree wholeheartedly but can see how you might feel that way. The thing about Futurama's humor is it's targeted towards a very specific demographic whereas the Simpsons in their golden age was something anyone could sit down and identify with. Futurama at its best is a smarter show but what makes it smarter than than the Simpson's is exactly what makes it easier to lose people. It's a very dense show despite being happy to appear stupid. I can agree though that the very best of Futurama doesn't really stack up with the best of the Simpson's. The Simpson's at it's peak is some of the best shit ever put on a television whereas the best of Futurama is just some really damn good TV.
>>
Like most of you guys said, I think the pre-cancellation stuff is pretty timeless. It was always a good cartoon and sometimes felt like old-school science fiction short stories played as comedy. There was an atmosphere to it I can't put my finger on, it didn't just feel like a bunch of writers throwing 'bits' together. There was some real love and craft to it. Everything since has been entertaining enough I guess but nothing memorable and suffers a lot from 'WHOAH THE KARDASHIANS BUT IN JARS??!?!'
>>
>>79046768
You might think it's just baiting, but it's my honest opinion tBh family.

I think season 1 just had the perfect "feel" out of all the seasons.
>>
>>79047011
I would be shocked, honestly, if a show that uses evolving characterization experiences its finest hour in the first season.

Would probably be shit.
>>
>>79046964
I strongly disagree. It's as timeless as pre cancellation with many great episodes. There is just as much topical humor in pre and post cancellation.
>>
>>79046802
I know Futurama is a smart show. Any show that comes up with its own language, even one as scarcely used as the alien language, is worth its salt. Plus I recall reading about it coming up with some bafflingly complicated equation solely for a background joke or something like that?

I get that the shows adhere to different tastes but my point was the show was good because... Well, it was good, and wasn't loaded with a fuckton of bad episodes to muddy up the show's name and reputation. Like it was on average a great show, but had fewer God-like peaks like the early Simpsons had. Ya feel me?
>>
>>79047011
You post the same stale pasta in every futurama thread you retard
>>
>>79044756
It aged very well. The first four seasons are pretty much as good as they were back in the day. If I hadn't seen them fifty billion times already they would still be funny. The movies and later seasons weren't very good to begin with so there's not much to say about them.

That being said classic Futurama is still my favorite cartoon comedy series ever.
>>
>>79047141
>Plus I recall reading about it coming up with some bafflingly complicated equation solely for a background joke or something like that?
Yep, the writers came up with a whole new theorem just for a single episode. They showed the whole thing in the background.

Futurama writers are ridiculously overqualified and have degrees in maths and physics and shit.
>>
>>79047260
that's because he's self conscious and constantly looking for approval for his opinions.
>>
Pre-cancellation is pretty much 10/10 for the most part, holding up extraordinarily strong even today. Post-cancellation has a lot of weak episodes for sure but by the last half of the revival it hit its stride again I'd say most of those hold up pretty well too. The Late Philip J Fry, for example, is probably one of my top 3 favorite episodes and the finale is the second best series finale it had.
>>
File: 1434386469601.jpg (746 KB, 1200x799) Image search: [Google]
1434386469601.jpg
746 KB, 1200x799
>>79047382
Considering they put so much work for something you might catch a glimpse of in the background, I would've killed to see the process they went through to put that in an episode.
>>
>>79047260
>>79047449
I'm too lazy to reword my opinion
>>
>>79047102

It's been a while so maybe you're right and I've got the nostalgia filter on. I certainly remember thinking 'oh come on that was Family Guy-tier' at more of the celebrity jokes etc post cancellation.
>>
>>79045136
because unlike family guy, you could pull about a season's worth of good futurama episodes out of the newer material
>>
>>79046468
I've been wondering about this shit a lot lately
I think it's because the writers for shows are getting younger and younger and in schools they're showed shitty movies then upon analysis there's deeper levels within the context so they're told it's actually good, because it's social commentary, but the imitations from people nowadays are so fucking devoid of nuance that I've dropped 3 shows in the past month, all by the BBC which is the worst contender
I've been rewatching Futurama lately and I've had so much fun laughing at this shit, even realising that the "goodnight sweet prince" is from the anthologies of interest episodes, but I'm terrified of getting to the reboot for shit like this and I was also told that the latest seasons have tons of celebrity shit, on the same tier as Zombie Simpsons
>>
>>79047501
well, they didn't predict that there would be a Star Trek reboot when they had the original cast never mention it, so I'm still unimpressed
>>
File: 1347374616612.png (248 KB, 529x350) Image search: [Google]
1347374616612.png
248 KB, 529x350
>>79046623

Women are basically enemies

If you demonstrate a strong, useful presence and come onto them, their brains will have no choice but to fall for you
>>
>>79045397

I can just tell that when they were writing that episode that one of the senior people, probably David X Cohen, only allowed the Fry and Amy relationship to happen if it was in that episode only, because they were super attached to making Fry/Leela the endgame.

I hate that show creators come up with what they think the best couple when writing the series bible or whatever, and basically bitch and complain when they refuse to let go of the idea.

Not saying that Fry and Amy would have necessarily made a good couple, just that the "first girl wins" plot structure is really kind of stupid most of the time.
>>
My thoughts on the matter is this: I like Fry and Leela getting together but I think they went about it awkwardly, having Fry do some really death-defying things to protect or impress Leela and her never coming around.

If they had handled her resistance more tactfully, it would have made a better character attribute.
>>
>>79047737
The newer episodes are far from post-Season 9 Simpsons bad. They have a pretty rocky beginning, but around The Late Phillip J. Fry, it starts to come back together. There are a lot of episodes that are easily skipped, though.
>>
File: tumblr_lvyksiFol61r82noto1_500.jpg (44 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lvyksiFol61r82noto1_500.jpg
44 KB, 500x372
IMO fuck yeah

Watched it again just last week, already feels like a classic. The first episode is iconic.
>>
>>79047972
The problem is that they kept resetting and resetting it. Like, okay, they show them going to the next level in The Devils Hands are Idle Playthings. And that's great, that's a good episode - but then Bender's Big Score happens, and whoops! Now they're back to the will-they-or-won't-they. Then BBS shows them taking it to the next level again, and whoop! Beast with a Billion Backs. Then Into the Wild Green Yonder again, and whoop! Then Overclockwise and whoop! By the time of the finale, they'd taken their relationship to the next level like eight times. And it's not like all of those come-arounds were bad, but every time they had to actually write Fry and Leela as a couple, they quickly chickened out.
>>
>>79048087
I would think The Farnsworth Parabox would have been a huge wakeup call. The alternate universe Fry and Leela were basically the same personality-wise and they were happily married.

Instead Leela goes about it with a "eh, what the heck" kind of mentality at the end.
>>
>>79046550

Every movie except the first one and the majority of the Comedy Central episodes were garbage.

I do think people tend to view Futurama in terms of their own favorite episodes rather than examining the whole though.
>>
I'm re-watching the first 4 seasons now and they're still great. The odd outdated joke here and there but most of it still holds up fine.

Dunno what that other anon is talking about, season 4 is clearly the best. But they're all pretty good.

Never watched the reboot but I've heard the criticism. Still have them on DVD so I'll watch some day. But as heartbreaking as it was that it got originally cancelled, the original season 4 ending is absolutely PERFECT. I love it.
>>
>>79048177

I thought that at the end she flipped another coin to decide whether to go on a date with him on not, then said something like "let's just say it was heads" without looking at it.

I always assumed the implication was that the date didn't work out.

It's ridiculous in the context of the overall show, but within the episode itself it made sense.
>>
>>79046637

I actually agree with the everyman thing, which is why I hate the whole "Nibbler sent Fry to the future etc etc" thing. It completely removes Fry's status as a lucky, or unlucky, regular dude by making him the chosen one who's immune to mind control because he's a retard and was sent to the future on purpose rather than through dumb luck.
>>
>>79046468
The later seasons were even worse. Zoidberg falling in love with a chick who can't smell, the one where Bender looses his ass, all completely forgettable. At least the early cc seasons had a few good ones like the one where Bender is looking for inspector 6.
>>
File: cookies.png (166 KB, 637x427) Image search: [Google]
cookies.png
166 KB, 637x427
Which Futuama episode is best, and why is it Roswell That Ends Well?
>>
>>79048377
But he's the chosen one cause he's his own grandfather, so it's so absurd it works IMO

Plus they planned it from the beginning
>>
>>79048377
I thought he was immune to mind control because he was his own grandpa.
>>
File: I feel disappointment.jpg (6 KB, 264x191) Image search: [Google]
I feel disappointment.jpg
6 KB, 264x191
>>79048426
>looking for inspector 6.
>inspector 6.
>6
>>
>>79048607
>Anyway, your immunity is due to the fact that you lack the delta brainwave. It's a genetic abnormality which resulted when you went back in time and performed certain actions which made you your own grandfather.

>I did do the nasty in the past-y.
>>
>>79048426
I mean inspector 5
>>79048616
Dammit
>>
>>79048534
>>79048607

Sorry, I mixed up one giant floating brain enemy for another giant floating brain enemy.
>>
File: 1383884512788.jpg (20 KB, 467x356) Image search: [Google]
1383884512788.jpg
20 KB, 467x356
>>79048426
>At least the early cc seasons had a few good ones like the one where Bender is looking for inspector 6.

This episode was terrible and I hate how it gets praise.

It was easily the worst example the writing staff's desire to redo Luck of the Fryrish.

The writing was terrible, the main plot point was completely contradicted episodes later when Bender becomes a fucking ghost and Robot Hell stops being metaphorical, and two otherwise talented voice actors were delivering plot developments like Dora the Explorer.
>>
Having high standards must be a cold, empty existence...
>>
I heard they changed stuff about Fry's dog and his brother in later episodes, is that true
>>
>>79048893
>Robot Hell stops being metaphorical
I agree with you, but Robot Hell was always a real place, Bender got sent there in season 1 and they went back in season 4
>>
>>79048931

In one of the movies they explain that Fry went back in time and actually spent a lot of time with the dog as it got older, basically retconning that the dog didn't wait years for him to come back so much as he waited for him for about a day at a time for him to back from work or wherever, so what we saw at the end of the original episode were just snapshots taken at a certain time of day.

I don't know about the brother.
>>
>>79049015

Yes, but he was dragged there as a "living" robot for specifically breaking the tenants of a religion he joined.

Then it became a place where robot ghosts go when their bodies die,
>>
>>79049072
That sounds like shit, why they gotta mess with something perfect like that
>>
>>79049076
To be fair their ghosts also had an explanation, it's dumb but it's not like Bender actually had a soul or anything.
>>79049072
>>79048931
In the flash back he's show hanging out with Yancy and also his nephew knows him.
>>
>>79049076
they also make reference to Robot Ghosts existing in The Honking, the ghosts in the castle are holograms but Bender mentions that Robot Ghosts do exist
>>
>>79048893
No game of tones was the worst example of them trying to mimic luck of the fryish. All lethal inspection did was have a cute little Bender at the end. And maybe I haven't seen the episode in a while because I don't remember that one having anything to do with robot hell.
>>
>>79049211

I was talking about a later episode where the entire concept of robots having back up units is thrown out the window and it turns out every robot is exactly as mortal as the next.
>>
>>79049252
That's not really lethal inspections fault though. That's more on the writers. And to be honest, robot life cycles along with benders origins have never really been consistent in the show.
>>
>>79049335
that's true, the baby bender scene at the end also retconned the scene in the earlier seasons where bender reveals he is only 4 years old and recalls his own birth
>>
>>79049469
It's less "retconning" then it is "being a cartoon"

They write something that fits a joke or plot, they're not too worried about little stuff contradicting.
>>
>>79049469
Bender also has a few lines that suggest he had a childhood in the original series like when he was in the mob and they tell him to avoid there police to which Bender responds "just like mom used to say". Also the episode where they are aging in reverse.
>>
>>79049499
I get that, but its a bit more than little stuff to change Bender from being 4 years old to being built and quality checked in Hermes' youth
>>
>>79048315
How did you get that from that? Before, she had seen the whole situation as trivial enough to bet on a coin flip. After being faced with the alternate outcome and seeing just how much impact it had on her life, she opted to actually make the decision to go on a date with him instead of wondering what could have been if the coin flip had turned out differently.
>>
>>79049586
>Also the episode where they are aging in reverse
in the dvd commentary they attempt to explain that, then brush over it
>>
>>79046637
stop posting this shit wall of text
>>
>>79049596
They change Bender's childhood like every 5 episodes. One episode he says his mom is the assembly line crane, implying he was assembled directly into the Bender we know. Reverse aging episode shows him getting smaller and then turning into a CD for instructions on building a bending unit

If you add up all the percentages of materials he's apparently made of it's like 270%

His inner workings change for multiple gags, one time he gets a watch stuck in a bunch of gears inside him but other times it's completely empty.

Comedy trumps consistency when it comes to the little stuff
>>
>>79049794
I guess, but that makes it more pointless to try and make a feels heavy episode about Benders past, cause it won't stick.

the leelas parents episode worked and left them something to build on, Jurassic Bark was considered one of the best the series has produced and they ruined that.

if you are going to make a show to add emotional depth, then keep it that way
>>
>>79049794
>If you add up all the percentages of materials he's apparently made of it's like 270%
The writers used to try to justify that by claiming that he gets new casing from time to time, until it dawned on them just damn often they used "I'm 30% _____" jokes and they decided it wasn't worth trying to justify any more.
>>
>>79049909
>>79049794
I always thought that the percentages not adding up was part of the joke.
>>
>>79049938
It wasn't intentional at first, according to the commentaries.
>>
>>79049898
Whenever you start worrying about a cartoon not being consistent you should remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1nD4o3zTfo

And also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYrRqMHQY7o
>>
>>79050000
point taken
>>
>>79050054
I mean I get what you're saying in general but Futurama has always played fast and loose with that kind of stuff

I also noticed on rewatch the last few weeks that a surprising amount of people die in the name of a joke on the show. Some of the main characters are murderers but it doesn't matter because it's all in the name of a joke.
>>
>>79048426
>haha sentimental episodes

No, you're a retard.
>>
>>79047797
r/theredpill pls go
>>
>>79049128
Blame Fry, he's the retard who keeps time traveling and changing history
>>
The episode where nixon had to censor saturday morning cartoons was good

"yay I caught it"

"tell my wife I'll be home for dinner"

"'you bastards' it's okay if I say it"
>>
>>79046623
Leela was a cyclops with limited dating prospects regarding a normal guy who didn't view her as a novelty girlfriend or otherwise disliked her appearance

When people are aware someone is attracted to them and aren't aware of any other prospects or prospects they'd actually consider then they'll end up considering a relationship even if in better circumstances they wouldn't

People were born to fuck
>>
>>79050164
>Implying that was a sentimental episode
Nigga please.
>>
>>79050329
I liked

A
Criminal
Regiment
Of
Nasty
Young
Men
>>
>>79048931
>>79049072
>no proof
>acts like it exists
nigga, you know what to do>>79049159
>>
>>79051454
wut
>>
>>79046550
It's golden because it's objectively so-so. In the context of modern cartoons, it's one of the best, but it doesn't have the same edge over, as you said, KoTH or early Simpsons. We're nostalgic about the quality and humor they had, and Futurama comes close enough to satisfy when we've been spoiled on the fast food of television.
>>
File: Chamber of Understanding.gif (123 KB, 190x270) Image search: [Google]
Chamber of Understanding.gif
123 KB, 190x270
>>79044756
Everyone here says it didn't but I think it did.
A whole lot better then The Simpsons did.
>>
File: 4.gif (319 KB, 500x319) Image search: [Google]
4.gif
319 KB, 500x319
>>79048499
I always liked Fry and the Slurm factory.
It has the same feel of the pilot episode I think.

I also liked The Late Philip J. Fry where they are travelling into the future and watch the universe end.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.