[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you introduce your kids to The Land Before Time and its
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: land-before-time.jpg (60 KB, 400x278) Image search: [Google]
land-before-time.jpg
60 KB, 400x278
Would you introduce your kids to The Land Before Time and its 10+ sequels?
Kids love dinosaurs after all.
>>
Never watched any of the sequels. The original film is GOAT, though.
>>
No, dinosaurs should be badass and not weird lumpy creatures who get murder-suicided by their father.
>>
>>79041275
>10 sequels
The fuck? I thought it was just one movie. But as an answer i would say no. I would pre-coming-to-/co/ and learning the dark backstory surrounding it... ever since i have considered it a thing of the past
>>
Baka stupid OP-sama!!! You just wanted to bait out the>>79041312
>>
>>79041416
I believe the new movie is number 15.

Or maybe that was the last one and this one is 16?
>>
>>79041454
Actually, it's because another sequel is coming out to walmart and I can't stop wondering if there is still a market for it.

>>79041462
It's the 14th.
>>
>>79041275
First one yes. Sequels no.
>>
>>79041745
What about the tv series?
>>
>>79042668
look, you either go all-out with the LBT expanded universe or you don't
>>
1-5 and that's it. Once it gets closer to Blue Fire territory, that's it.
>>
>>79041275
Yes. I would show them this before I introduce them to Jurassic Park.
>>
I'd show them the original, and then if they really loved it or wanted to see more I guess I'd show them the sequels too.

Even as a kid I recognized that the original was more intense and just generally better than the sequels, but I fucking loved dinosaurs, and since there weren't all that many dinosaur cartoons out there anything worked for me. They may not be great movies but it'd give a kid more of what they want.
>>
I actually just sent my 5-year-old nephew the original LBT on dvd as part of his Christmas gift last month. I loved the first LBT as a kid and then watched the other sequels up to #5, after that point I was really too old for it especially since the quality steadily declined with each sequel and they became more cartoon-y.
One concern I'd have with showing it to kids is that I don't like the made-up silly dinosaur names like "longneck" for the brachiosaurus, "three horn" for the triceratops, etc. I think that would be okay if the kid was old enough that he or she already knew the proper names, though.
>>
>>79041275
The first one only. I just wish OG Sharptooth didn't die; guy was the consummate badass.
I have no idea why I watched the 13 sequels.
>that TV series
>15th movie planned for release this year
This is the most "JUST" franchise
>>
I made my brothers see the first one, but I stopped there

As a kid I used to watch a lot also that one sequel where they befriend the purple t-rex, but it's been ages and I doubt it holds up
>>
>>79044509
The purple t-rex appeared in the second movie, then returned in the fifth movie, and was a main character in the tv series.
For all the hate the sequels get, I have yet to see someone not liking Chomper.
He's appearing in the new movie too.
>>
>>79045868

Even as a kid it made no sense to me that Chomper could talk by the fifth movie, but Spike was still mute "because he's a baby" all the way through the series.
>>
>>79045957
Maybe he was a retarded and kept the mind of a baby
>>
Nope, those films were a snore fest.
>>
>>79041275
>The Land Before Time

Yes.

>its 10+ sequels

No.
>>
Maybe the first two, but no more after that.
>>
File: dink02.jpg (20 KB, 331x236) Image search: [Google]
dink02.jpg
20 KB, 331x236
What about "Dink the Little Dinosaur"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu4ktyGFvxs
>>
>>79041275
I gave the first seven movies to my friend's son for Christmas. For all the bitching that goes on this board about the sequels, he can't watch the original because it's too damn scary for him. He definetly prefers the sequels.
>>
Everything up to the one with the island

That one was great
>>
>>79045868
I know plenty of people who dislike almost everything about the sequels EXCEPT for Chomper. I can see why: he was cute as fuck in the first sequel and in the second he turned out to be a sweet, endearing kid with a personality you can totally buy a real kid having instead of making him a stock comedy character.
>>
>>79049633
My daughter likes the sequels better too. They're better kid-appropriate films, to be honest. Most kids don't get the quality of the first movie until they're old enough to already be into things like action movies and the like.
>>
>>79049633
>>79049901
The first movie is a learning experience that little children should see.
It introduces concepts to them that they have to face one day.
>circle of life
>>
>>79049982
Yeah, but it's still a traumatic and depressing movie, and kids usually want to watch the movies that are fun to them.
>>
>>79049982
So? The sequels have plenty of lessons too, including a great many that encourage you not to let race or appearance stop you from being friends with someone. And of course, film 8 gave an epic smack down to creationists.
>>
I'll show them the first movie and as long as they like it I'll show them 2-7 of the sequels. Maybe will show them 8-10 too, but nothing after that, because the rest of the sequels are shit.

Might show them the new 14th movie too if it's good enough and if I can edit out the pinkish, deformed excuse for a dinosaur.
>>
>>79052038
Nigga, are you talking shit about Ruby? Because that is not fucking okay.
>>
>>79053174
He's probably confusing her with the yellow bellies that the last movie introduced. Ruby is actually pretty good. Just wish she was more of a dull red instead of pink.
>>
My little sister loves the first movie and doesn't watch the first 2 sequels quite as much but I would probably encourage her to see up to 5 since that's where I liked them up to but if she wanted to watch more thats up to her.
>>
>>79042833
>Hating alien dinosaurs
>>
Someone post the photo with the little dinosaur having the shotgun in it's mouth. It's been a while
>>
File: rite of spring.jpg (3 MB, 1808x1317) Image search: [Google]
rite of spring.jpg
3 MB, 1808x1317
>>79041275
Yes sure they range in quality after the original but still enjoyable for kids. I'll also show mine the Rite of Spring from Fantasia. Arguably the beset animated feature of dinosaurs ever produced
>>
>>79041275
I'd probably show them the first one. Maybe a few of the sequels if they liked it. And if they went as absolutely dinobonkers as I did at that age I'd show them a few other movies like We're Back and whatever else we can find on Netflix or whatever.
>>
>>79053329
Ruby's a good example of you should try to make a quirky character and the YellowBellies how you shouldn't. Her verbal tic can get annoying at times, but she's such likeable character you don't mind too much-- in fact, that can be applied to Ducky too. The yellowbellies were unfunny and unlikeable.
>>
>>79048791
dude I love Dookieshed
>>
I showed my three year old nephew the original and he loved it. I also gave it to him for Christmas and he's already watched it a few times.
>>
>>79049737
Not to mention Little Foot was like the target audience stand in, so seeing him adopt a baby T rex was great if enviable.
>>
>>79041275

>and its 10+ sequels?

Nigga, I didn't even watch most of that shit.
>>
>>79041275
No, only the first film is good but it is too dark for today's kids.

The rest are trash, An American Tail however fares much better, 2 & 3 are also worth watching, avoid 4 however.
>>
>>79056480
Horseshit-- 10 can go toe to toe with Fivel Goes West.
>>
>>79056480
Not all of the sequels are shit. The first 6(films 2-7) are pretty good. 9 and 10 are also kinda good.

The only sequels that are even close to being as good as the original are

The Land Before Time IV: Journey Through The Mists
The Land Before Time X: The Great Longneck Migration

The other ones(2, 4-9) are watchable. Anything after that is shit. The TV series has its moments but is a step underneath the watchable films.
>>
>>79057041
>(2, 4-9)

Whoops, meant (2-3, 5-9)
>>
>>79057041
Thanks for the heads up. Why has Doug Walker not ripped them apart yet?
>>
>>79058243
Before his site had a name change, one of the girl reviewers went through every movie, the tv series and the video games. I think it was MarzGurl. Not sure if the videos are still around.
I don't think many internet reviewers would have the patience.
>>
>>79042668
Is the tv series canon with the films?

What's the watching order?
>>
>>79058243
No problem!

I'm not sure why. Has he even done a review for any of Bluth's films or their d2dvd films?

With Bluth's successful Indiegogo campaign, he should maybe do a whole crusade through all of Bluth's films and the sequels(he's already done NIMH 2 though) if the Dragon's Lair: The Movie sizzle reel is successfully greenlit and fully funded.

>>79058782
It is, and basically just watch everything in order. The TV series is set after 13 but probably before the upcoming one, 14.

Warning though, sequels 11-13 are pretty shit and the TV series is just meh and repeats a lot of songs from the films.
>>
>>79041275
If I had kids, Don Bluth's films would be required viewing.

Yes, all of Don Bluth's films.
>>
>>79058782
The series had a new character that (obviously) wasn't in any of the 13 movies so far, a pink female oviraptor called Ruby.
This character is appearing in the 14th movie that comes out next month, so you may as well say the series is as canon as the sequels.
https://youtu.be/UVNF0tXcs64
>>
>>79058724
I know she did the American Tail ones, even pointing out how much AT3 matchs 90s WB animation.
>>
>>79058724
I took a look at her Twitter the other day. She's fully aware of the upcoming Land Before Time film and is planning to do a review of it on her Youtube page.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.